IT.COM

Another Bad Sign For .mobi

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The new 2.0 firmware for the iPhone and iPod Touch includes a new Safari shortcut that goes beyond ".com".

According to The Unofficial Apple Weblog, when you type in your web address you can now hold down the ".com" button to get the choice of three more extensions - ".net", ".edu" and ".org" - but no ".mobi"

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/15/iphone-101-hold-your-com-button-for-a-second/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
True. Hold down the .com button and you see .net .edu & .org. Thanks for the tip.

•••
gwkg said:
The new 2.0 firmware for the iPhone and iPod Touch includes a new Safari shortcut that goes beyond ".com".

According to The Unofficial Apple Weblog, when you type in your web address you can now hold down the ".com" button to get the choice of three more extensions - ".net", ".edu" and ".org" - but no ".mobi"

So you mean we have more options for slow loading, scroll and zoom sites. Sweet!

•••
3g, but yes should be a mobi button, why not

•••
.mobi goes from bad to even worse. Let Pinky explain that one!

•••
keithmt said:
So you mean we have more options for slow loading, scroll and zoom sites. Sweet!

Slow loading, scroll and zoom sites? What about a blackberry? I had 2 blackberries, and now have the Iphone. And let me be the first to inform you. The speed and ease of use with the Iphone make the blackberry look like a toy. Dont knock the phone, because mobi took a hit.

•••
iPhone and mTLD itself ... killed the "dot Mobey"!

quality said:
.mobi goes from bad to even worse. Let Pinky explain that one!

We've been addressing the SERIOUS lack of candor, insight, actual substance, and helpful information from Pinkyard Brand and mTLD since his visit here, I believe, in November '05, IMHO. :guilty:

The "dot Mobey" QUESTIONS and CONCERNS persist, to this day, and multiply ... and not one single soul - Pinkyard included - can adequately address these ongoing questions and concerns for the #1 Community™! :red: :snaphappy:

The mandated development and mobile compliant requirements of the premium auctioned domains (including those such as "News.mobi" in which the RFP process was abandoned for :$: GREED MONEY!) are not being strictly enforced as was promised ... and mTLD and the "dot Mobey" extension are facing serious accountability and credibility issues with this FACT, as witnessed again and again in these threads IMHO. :guilty:
Visit "news.mobi" and "flowers.mobi" (among dozens and dozens of others - including premium acutioned domains!) to witness, first hand, the utter shambles that was to be the "dot Mobey" "ecosystem"!

Supposed "backers" are not backing ... and no tangible corporate / End user stand-alone developments, promotions, or adoption ... and no critical awareness with the public! It appears to have been a pure :$: MONEY GRAB! :tri: :imho:

In my view, .COM will continue to be the standard for the one world wide web, including the Mobile Web© ... and this latest information above is yet another positive step in that evolution!
R.I.P.

-Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
domainer50 said:
Slow loading, scroll and zoom sites? What about a blackberry? I had 2 blackberries, and now have the Iphone. And let me be the first to inform you. The speed and ease of use with the Iphone make the blackberry look like a toy. Dont knock the phone, because mobi took a hit.
Not knocking the phone. In fact, I just bought one! Accessing
traditional sites still leaves me scrolling and zooming :'(

•••
keithmt said:
Not knocking the phone. In fact, I just bought one! Accessing
traditional sites still leaves me scrolling and zooming :'(

Ah. I must have misunderstood what you were saying. In any event, I think that the online community as a whole, needs to work on converting sites to make them more accessible on mobile phones. Its a long road ahead :)

•••
keithmt said:

Mobi fan to the rescue! Quick...protect your investment and downplay all the bad news and herald every single site that is dot mobi!

Jeez..get a grip.

Interesting that slow loading, scrolling and zoom are such a problem yet mobi IS NOT INCLUDED. Once again...you can't see the woods through the trees. Your lovable mobi isn't in the mobile heirarchy as you think. It was a concept born past it's time.

Speed improves.
Technology improves.
Mobi sits still and is stale.

•••
labrocca said:
It was a concept born past it's time.

Speed improves.
Technology improves.
Mobi sits still and is stale.

^ This sums it all up in a nutshell! :!: :yell:
Perfect and accurate description of mTLD and the state of affairs "dot Mobey! :guilty: :imho:

-Jeff B-)

•••
keithmt said:

I have found the speed and browsing experience to be very good.

•••
MOBI militia

It is probably a good time to dismantle the MOBI militia, and let the First Amendment prevail
:lol:

•••
yep .mobi supporters are on the run ....they are running scared....watch out Pinky they will be after you soon blaming you for the failure of .mobi.... when the truth is .mobi was useless in the first place. :hehe: :wave: :bingo:

•••
quality said:
yep .mobi supporters are on the run ....they are running scared....watch out Pinky they will be after you soon blaming you for the failure of .mobi.... when the truth is .mobi was useless in the first place.
What will happen to your domains when .web is approved? :) I don't think that .mobi has failed. It is another niche extension. The upcoming Junk Dump (landrush anniversary) will clear a lot of the domains that could not be flipped quickly and then developed sites and general development should begin. Because it was a two year intial registration, the timeline for development is a bit skewed. However I do not think that .mobi is a .com killer or anything like it. It will become a niche extension like .info and .biz but as businesses become more aware of .mobi and the mobile web, then there will be more brand protection registrations. Among domainers, the expectations for .mobi were driven largely by .com speculation rules. Thus in domainer terms, the extension is a failure and most of the highly speculative domains are now dropping.

Regards...jmcc

•••
quality said:
yep .mobi supporters are on the run ....they are running scared....watch out Pinky they will be after you soon blaming you for the failure of .mobi.... when the truth is .mobi was useless in the first place. :hehe: :wave: :bingo:
You crack me up. Mobi is doing just fine as more and more companies
like Visa dev their sites using mobi. In fact, Visa now has not 1 but 2 live mobi sites.

BTW, I find it interesting that you make comments on an ext being worthless with a sig like that! Not a personal attack but it shows your thought process on what you find to be a good investment. I have also seen other naysayers, who have posted in this thread, make very poor decisions when they regged mobis and now feel burned.

•••
gwkg said:

I'm both surprised and disappointed.

I was actually hoping Apple would grab the dot mobi extension and adopt it. I thought the new iPhone would have a "[]MOBI" button. If Apple had come out and added only the []mobi accessory button. Would not dot mobi have taken off?

So if that is so then does this not set the stage for an iphone competitor to use the extension apple ignored. It seems to me this might leave option number two open. LG, Moto or someone might want to make mobi thier mobile tag line.

I'm not an opponent nor proponent. As a light mobi investor I'm not hurt either way. Just my observation. I really thought apple would try to adopt dot mobi. Now, at best, it becomes the orphan extension waiting for LG, Moto or some other mobile player to try to use as a marketing tool against the iPhone.

Any who. ...... I think the ragging on mobi has gone into the personal agenda arena. Just for a moment think about "proprietary" use. Apple was built on the idea. Apple has put the "i" in front of how many domain names? Google is the last chance for []mobi. Goog could adopt mobi in some fashion and breath life back into it.

If someone can ink a deal with google to provide mobile content exclusive to the mobi ext. then it still may have a chance to find a home. I don't see any attempts to secure such a relationship. Not even a mention?

Overly optimistic ....... not at all. I'm on the fence and simply think this may open the door for []mobi. If it hasn't nailed it shut! :'(

IMhumbleO
namenut

•••
developers are detecting handsets and serving sites using mod_rewrite. the .mobi, as with most extensions, is just a play to squeeze tm holders to acquire their name.mobi out of fear.

•••
WEB.COM sub-domains are THE FUTURE!

•••
mjnels said:
WEB.COM sub-domains are THE FUTURE!
.com can do everything that web.com can do ;) Oh and everything
.net, .org, .info, .biz... can do too :zzz:

•••
If its bad for .mobi its 'great' for ccTLD's . Geo versions of the software have local extensions eg the UK version has .CO.UK as a quick select option.

•••
Technology is the biggest hurdle for .mobi - there's no reason for a separate TLD for mobile devices when server software can readily determine automatically the type of browser / device connecting and serve up content accordingly.

Digressing to the issue of web.com mentioned by mjnels - why? ... unofficial 2nd level-TLDs are generally a waste of money; limited usefulness.

And what happens if and when the .WEB TLD goes live, which by the way, last I checked, has no relation to web.com; folks with web.com domains are likely going to be left in the dust.

Ron

•••
It also loads ccTLD's, depending on the country you're in and the keyboard setting you have. So far, I've tested this on the UK and German keyboard settings on my iPod Touch. Pretty cool.

You can also take screenshots with the new 2.0 software. While you're on a webpage, press and hold the "home" button, and then press the top button. You screen will flash and the screenshot will be store in your photos folder. :)

Last edited:
•••
seanboy said:
It also loads ccTLD's, depending on the country you're in and the keyboard setting you have. So far, I've tested this on the UK and German keyboard settings on my iPod Touch. Pretty cool.

You can also take screenshots with the new 2.0 software. While you're on a webpage. Press and hold the "home" button, and then press the top button. You screen will flash and the screenshot will be store in your photos folder. :)

ccTLDs will be very important for mobile internet imho :]

•••
Domagon said:
Technology is the biggest hurdle for .mobi - there's no reason for a separate TLD for mobile devices when server software can readily determine automatically the type of browser / device connecting and serve up content accordingly.

Digressing to the issue of web.com mentioned by mjnels - why? ... unofficial 2nd level-TLDs are generally a waste of money; limited usefulness.

And what happens if and when the .WEB TLD goes live, which by the way, last I checked, has no relation to web.com; folks with web.com domains are likely going to be left in the dust.

Ron

I would welcome .web as the click throughs on *.web.com would go through the roof as people by mistake add .com. But this ain't gonna save .mobi....
:hehe: :imho: :wave:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back