Dynadot

Another Bad Sign For .mobi

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
The new 2.0 firmware for the iPhone and iPod Touch includes a new Safari shortcut that goes beyond ".com".

According to The Unofficial Apple Weblog, when you type in your web address you can now hold down the ".com" button to get the choice of three more extensions - ".net", ".edu" and ".org" - but no ".mobi"

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/15/iphone-101-hold-your-com-button-for-a-second/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
snoop said:
You are comparing sawdust with dog turd in my view. Personally I don't see this as a memorable extension, the extension isn't known (which is obviously is a problem with all new extensions - in my view none of them are memorable).

I have no real idea what the name is supposed to mean in the context of a web address. If I tell someone "pizza.tel" what is the average person on the street going to make of that? The main problem is though I do not think it is even possible to host an actual website on it, it is borderline useless in my view. Basically just a contact us page, who wants a seperate domain for that?

Regarding .web I think it is a poor man's .net - way to late for this to have real enduser sucess in my view, I think some domainers would go for it in the short/medium term though so probably some reselling potential.

I think you make some very good points in regard to new and newer extensions, IMHO ... and I love the "sawdust with dog turd" comparison! :yell:
With regard to both the highly brandable .TEL and the .WEB, I think we're going to have to wait and see what is to evolve from them respectively and certainly prior to lauch ... but, regardless, these launches (along with many others that are coming down the pike!) certainly add to confusion and even further dilution - which, in my view, most severely impacts and is yet another bad sign for the struggling "dot Mobey" extension, IMHO. :o
And this is why some former "dot Mobey" supporters are either now completely out of the business altogether ... or currently and busily LIQUIDATING their early investments in lowly "dot Mobeys"! :guilty: :imho:

See you again soon.
-Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
Jeff said:
but, regardless, these launches (along with many others that are coming down the pike!) certainly add to confusion and even further dilution - which, in my view, most severely impacts and is yet another bad sign for the struggling "dot Mobey" extension, IMHO. :o

Agree, more new extensions will likely have the effect on reducing demand for existing ones in my view, I think it will even effect .com and country codes to (small) degree, though nothing like the effect on new tlds.

•••
Link: http://www.registrarstats.com

The only TLD with consistent DAILY Net Losses (as highlighted in red) are in the "dot Mobey" extension ... within the "Zone File Survey", IMHO. :guilty:

PS. Y'day, at 919,596 total domains ... that's already over 8% BELOW its once proudly claimed 1,000,000 registrations mark! :red:
With MANY more drops to come ...

-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
PS. Y'day, at 919,596 total domains ... that's already over 8% BELOW its once proudly claimed 1,000,000 registrations mark! :red:

you do know there is money to be made with drops too..

•••
At least 1, maybe 2 people are 1000k+ in the hole on .mobi D-:

Scary stuff. :ghost:

Jeff said:
Who's in the hole $100k plus for "dot Mobey's"?!? :blink:

•••
Ouch!

-REECE- said:

^ Yowzers! D-: :'(

All I know is that there are a LOT of very knowledgeable, balanced, and experienced domainers here on our #1 Namepros™ ... who, back in 2006, repeatedly warned of the dangers of buying into the misguided and blatant "dot Mobey" hype and putting all of their eggs in one speculative basket, IMHO. Some of these good folks were even publicly chastised for their early warnings ... but, in the end, if they saved even a few :$: bucks for new and newer domainers here on the site, then I think we should all thank them for their fine efforts and genuine concerns! :xf.love:
Obviously, those in the hole that deep likely never visited the site regularly ... or took the warnings seriously! :imho:

Happy Thanksgiving, friends!
-Jeff B-)

•••
-REECE- said:

Uh, is that supposed to be 100k or more? Either way it's
a scary thought!

A few folks may be giving .mobi the short end of the stick prematurly. Can anyone at NP tell me which way the masses have determined to be the go to for mobile internet access? I have not seen a clear cut way of access yet. Some use m., some use mobile.keyword.com, some use .mobi., and so on.

Until the mobile internet matures I think we should all just chill on who's right and who's wrong :imho:

BTW Jeffrey, .tel is in no way comparable to .mobi. I'm sure you've done your homework...right?

Oh snap, I just hit 2k :lala:

Last edited:
•••
Jeff said:
The only TLD with consistent DAILY Net Losses (as highlighted in red) are in the "dot Mobey" extension ...
That is to be expected in the Junk Dump phase for any TLD. It is not unusual that some people will use this to support their theory that a TLD is dead.

On the landrush anniversary .mobi had 959154 domains in the zonefile.
As of today (20081121) it has 918546 domains in its zonefile. (I just checked.)

The number of raw deletions since the landrush anniversary is 80201 domains. The number of new registrations since the landrush anniversary is 39593.

From the start of this month, .mobi has had 46966 domains deleted and 16052 new registrations.

959154 - 918546 = 40608
According to this figure, .mobi is off approximately 4.23% from the landrush anniversary figure. (These figures are based on zonefile counts.)

It is actually quite a good performance so far as some people were expecting the .mobi count to be off by as much as 10% at this stage. I think that one year mobi registrations were introduced in early 2007 and some of these being dropped earlier this year would explain a major deletion blip in .mobi activity.

http://www.hosterstats.com/Detailed-mobi-Statistics-2008.php

Yes that will happen. But the most important thing to pay attention to is the number of new registrations. For .mobi to be the disaster that some people want, the new registrations figure would have to go to zero.

Regards...jmcc

mjnels said:
you do know there is money to be made with drops too..
Apparently Pool.com is getting into the .mobi drop market.

Regards...jmcc

•••
jmcc said:
Apparently Pool.com is getting into the .mobi drop market

yep.. as of 2 nights ago.

it went: snapnames, namejet, pool... 1 month ago today none of them were in on the drop game.. i already miss those days.

•••
keithmt said:
A few folks may be giving .mobi the short end of the stick prematurly.

A few? :blink:
We're now in the majority, friend ... as it's been over TWO YEARS ... and yet still 1,000's upon 1,000's of developable "reserved" domains languish undeveloped under the control of greedy :$: mTLD! :guilty: :imho:
And it has become quite an industry laughing stock ... as mTLD has still not enforced the mandated development requirements, as well! :p

keithmt said:
.tel is in no way comparable to .mobi. I'm sure you've done your homework...right?

Right, and you need to re-read my entire comments (in the context of the contrasts with regard to brandability) above, IMHO. :gl: :snaphappy:

Happy Thanksgiving.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
We're now in the majority, friend ... as it's been over TWO YEARS ... and yet still 1,000's upon 1,000's of developable "reserved" domains languish undeveloped under the control of greedy :$: mTLD! :guilty: :imho:
And it has become quite an industry laughing stock ... as mTLD has still not enforced the mandated development requirements, as well! :p

Right, and you need to re-read my entire comments (in the context of the contrasts with regard to brandability) above, IMHO. :gl: :snaphappy:

Happy Thanksgiving.
-Jeff B-)
36_188x188.gif
:sold:

•••
Jeff said:

Happy Thanksgiving.
-Jeff B-)
:( ....ahhhh, does make members long for the tranquility we were blessed with here at NP up untill the last few weeks.. :rolleyes:

•••
hawkeye said:
:( ....ahhhh, does make members long for the tranquility we were blessed with here at NP up untill the last few weeks.. :rolleyes:

Did you really think it would last...lol

•••
Still seems to be undecided. I think m-dot is winning from what I've seen but there are still many sites using /mobile, mobile.keyword.com, and yes, .mobi.

It's always been about development with .mobi (like most extensions other than CNO + key cctld) imho -- anyone who thought they'd spend $100,000 on a keyword.mobi and see a positive return on their investment was living in a dream world if they didn't expect to undertake some serious development to make that return a reality.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the extension, only with the expectations a few people had. I know a few Npers who are pulling in $1000+/month on domains in the .ws extension and I've heard similar success stories with .mobi for developed websites.

With ICANN's announcement of more new extensions, I fear .mobi will further be relegated (many would say it already is) to "developer tld status" -- nothing wrong with that imho, just something one has to remember before dropping coin on a mobi.

keithmt said:
Uh, is that supposed to be 100k or more? Either way it's
a scary thought!

A few folks may be giving .mobi the short end of the stick prematurly. Can anyone at NP tell me which way the masses have determined to be the go to for mobile internet access? I have not seen a clear cut way of access yet. Some use m., some use mobile.keyword.com, some use .mobi., and so on.

Until the mobile internet matures I think we should all just chill on who's right and who's wrong :imho:

BTW Jeffrey, .tel is in no way comparable to .mobi. I'm sure you've done your homework...right?

Oh snap, I just hit 2k :lala:

•••
hawkeye said:

Go elsewhere to play full-time Rosey™ ... please ... as we deal with full and fair balance and REALITY here in the real world in the lively discussions on #1 Namepros™, IMHO. :music: :talk:

-REECE- said:
With ICANN's announcement of more new extensions, I fear .mobi will further be relegated (many would say it already is) to "developer tld status" -- nothing wrong with that imho, just something one has to remember before dropping coin on a mobi.

Righto, mTLD itself - early on - has stated the critical importance of a developed "ecosystem", but has, in its actions, instead turned to pure :$: GREED MONEY ambitions ... my educated guess is you will continue to see further delays, excuses, no shows, and broken promises going forward, as well! :guilty: :imho:
Prior actions and abandonment of the RFP process for its most generic domains ... should serve as a caveat to any current and potential "dot Mobey" investors, IMHO.

vJRB said:

Happy Holidays! :santa:

-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
Go elsewhere to play full-time Rosey™ ... please ... we deal with full and fair balance and REALITY here in the real world in the lively discussions on #1 Namepros™, IMHO. :music: :talk:
...we..????...fair balance..?? yeah, ok..Sean Hanity..!

•••
There's nothing inherently wrong with the extension, only with the expectations a few people had. I know a few Npers who are pulling in $1000+/month on domains in the .ws extension and I've heard similar success stories with .mobi for developed websites.

Well said. You have to respect what some of the mobi domainers have done in terms of development. Many didn't appear to know a damn thing about having a site. Me personally I don't see a lot of income potential for mobile advertising. It's a matter of ROI for me. Why spend time developing a mobile site when I can have a full fledged site with full range of advertising spectrum at my disposal.

Yes I understand the "growth potential" of mobile users but reality is that nothing would stop me from jumping into that market any time in the future. When it is a proven market. It's so early now and this isn't 1999 where angel investors plunked down millions for every hair-brained idea. You pretty much need to show earnings right away. For me a site past a year old not carrying it's weight needs to go.

I just can't wait for .web. Man I get horny just thinking about the cool names I am hopefully going to be able to acquire.

•••
keithmt said:

Whatever way it is going it is not to .mobi, that is the key point. Take a step back and deep breath and look at what prominant companies are actually using, it is not .mobi. It seems right now the battle is between m. and mobile. .Mobi is sinking like a stone, some speculators won't be willing to admit that for years though, the sooner people can see that the better off they will be.

•••
labrocca said:
I just can't wait for .web. Man I get horny just thinking about the cool names I am hopefully going to be able to acquire.

this is completely hilarious to me... there isnt even a half ass excuse of a reason for .web.... you just now made a case for .mobi and any other alternative TLD at a very basic level. acquiring keywords that are long gone in .com... thats it.

•••
mjnels said:
this is completely hilarious to me... there isnt even a half ass excuse of a reason for .web....

Agree, .web sounds like another lame duck to me. I think a lot fo speculators would go for it initially but as far as actual usage goes it just sounds like a poor man's .net to me. It means the same thing except it has zero public awareness.

•••
Jesse develops his domains -- I think .web will be an excellent extension for development. Certainly a lot more brandable than .mobi imho. I would definitely pickup a few myself for dev.

•••
anything is good for development.

but as Jesse always seems to point out this is primarily a domainers forum... so from that perspective .web and .mobi are exactly the same. except with .web, there is absolutely no way to even pretend there is a reason for it. at least with .mobi they can try to mesh with the entire mobile scene and hope to gain traction.

i am not again new TLDs at all... i just find it funny when one new extension is deemed pointless and another new extension is praised.

•••
haha, yes :)

The only positive thing about all these new extensions is that we can all look forward to one day being able to afford top keywords for development without breaking the bank.

insurance.tel ftw ;)

mjnels said:
anything is good for development.

but as Jesse always seems to point out this is primarily a domainers forum... so from that perspective .web and .mobi are exactly the same. except with .web, there is absolutely no way to even pretend there is a reason for it. at least with .mobi they can try to mesh with the entire mobile scene and hope to gain traction.

i am not again new TLDs at all... i just find it funny when one new extension is deemed pointless and another new extension is praised.

•••
Reece...

insurance.tel is mine, in fact I dont remember giving anyone permission to reproduce it in a forum discussion, lol. :$: :sold:
Just remember folks, .tel is highly brandable and .mobi is failing...Im sure Ive heard those magical words somewhere before today. :hehe:

•••
Figures from this morning's zonefiles:
.mobi
Domains: 911786 - Deleted since 01/Nov: 58022 - New since 01/Nov: 20348
The .mobi TLD is still in its Junk Dump phase.

.asia
Domains: 236806 - Deleted since 01/Nov: 130 - New since 01/Nov: 4067
The .asia TLD is now out of its landrush phase.

Regards...jmcc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back