Dynadot

discuss Anatomy of a Hang Reg

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I've been advised by old time domainers not to hand register domains. I still don't know why, but every single one of my 1,500 plus domains have been hand registered. While I agree it's unlikely I'd hand register a domain for $10 today and turnaround and sell it for 10K tomorrow, I do believe it's entirely possible to hand register a domain today and reap the big bucks down the road.

For example...today I was driving home and hear on the radio an add for a Crab Feast in my area. In the add, when someone was asked if they were going to the crab feast, their comment was ShellYeah! So I'm thinking, when I get home I'm going to see if domains like ShellYea(.)com or ShellYeaSeafood(.)com was taken or even ShellYeaOysters(.).com. Of course if you haven't picked up that this is a play off the slang term "HellYea" you may never understand:xf.confused:. So then I'm thinking, how might this domain sound as the name for a national Seafood Restaurant like Red Lobster or Bonefish Grill or Joes Crab Shack? So I get home and start researching names via Go Daddy's domain Appraisal link. And because the words, "Yeah", "Yea" and "Yeh" can match up with Shell and Hell, I do some more research via Google for the match up. It turns out that the correct grammer word(s) to go with Shell are "Yes" and "Yeah" with "Yeh" being a variation of "Yeah". And since the pronunciation for the word "Yea" is actually "Yay", I eliminated it.

So it turns out ShellYes(.)com and ShellYeah(.)com are both premium domains and were taken:xf.frown:, but ShellYeh(.)com was available. I'm aware that "Yeh" is less formal than "Yes" and "Yeah", but my thinking is, since eating any kind of shell fish (oysters, clams, crabs etc) is "hands on dining".....ShellYeh:hungry:com might be a great name for Seafood Restaurant specializing in shellfish.

My point is, hand registering domains may not be the answer for some domainers, but I think it can work fine for those who put a little thought into it. Thanks

btw, ShellYeh! appraises for $893 at GD, $2,190 at Freevaluator and $4,432 at Notka domains...go figure:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Shellyeh is horrible, even for a hand reg. You pointed out the reason above. Why would somebody wanting to be national seafood restaurant pick something that's easily misspelled, when they don't have too?

These:
Red Lobster or Bonefish Grill or Joes Crab Shack

Easy to spell, remember, brand.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah. You can handreg make some cool bucks. Just understand the concept

•••
I think that the problem of a lesser used spelling is the 'Radio Test'. Even though I'd guess if I saw Yeh that it was pronounced like Yeah, how is the owner going to use it on the radio? Or by word of mouth? Are you going to constantly stop and explain, not Yeah, but Y-E-H?

I read a lot, and I rarely see Y-E-H, so you are going to have to spell it out every time. That decreases the value a great deal.

•••
Shellyeh is horrible, even for a hand reg. You pointed out the reason above. Why would somebody wanting to be national seafood restaurant pick something that's easily misspelled, when they don't have too?

These:
Red Lobster or Bonefish Grill or Joes Crab Shack

Easy to spell, remember, brand.
"ShellYeh" is horrible....HellYeh! it is, that's why it appraises from $900 to $4,400" "Yeh" is a word whether you like it or not:xf.wink:

•••
"ShellYeh" is horrible....HellYeh! it is, that's why it appraises from $900 to $4,400" "Yeh" is a word whether you like it or not:xf.wink:

So after a year, you're still looking at appraisals to justify bad purchases. Another post you said you were learning. You realize you're posting in a domain forum, that has domainers, so they know this joke?

Shell Yeah - https://www.google.com/search?q=she...h8XcAhXCJt8KHbeyBZwQ_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=700

I'm a "trend setter" Johnnie...even your buddy Kate says so:ROFL:

No, just a basic newbie registering bad domains.

Last edited:
•••
I bid $1

But seriously, why do you try to "school" people with such baloney ?

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
there are all kinds of handregs around.

those that are dropped/expired... that were regged before.. for whatever reasons.. and then there are those that were never regged and passed on by millions or thousands of eyes... or those that were maybe regged before.. but sitting idle for years..

a lot of possibilities.

in short, not all regs are created equal.

so if you really want to be regging stuff, make sure you spend a lot of time before that to understand domaining and what sells (including trends etc)... and what does not sell... its the only way to maximize your sale potential from handregs....

this is why many pro domainers.. recommend.. that if you absolutely need to spend your money on domains right away and you are just starting out.. never ever go for handregs.. and just join into the bidding on some aftermarket names.. that generate some bidding interest among a bunch of people... and in the end you will be most likely better off putting that 10k into say 10 aftermarket names.. versus handregging 1000 names for 10k.

Last edited:
•••
I'm a "trend setter" Johnnie...even your buddy Kate says so:ROFL:

So you heard a term on the radio and then registered a far crappier version of the term in .COM.
Is that all it takes to be considered a "trend setter"?

•••
there are all kinds of handregs around.

those that are dropped/expired... that were regged before.. for whatever reasons.. and then there are those that were never regged and passed on by millions or thousands of eyes... or those that were maybe regged before.. but sitting idle for years..

a lot of possibilities.

in short, not all regs are created equal.

so if you really want to be regging stuff, make sure you spend a lot of time before that to understand domaining and what sells (including trends etc)... and what does not sell... its the only way to maximize your sale potential from handregs....

this is why many pro domainers.. recommend.. that if you absolutely need to spend your money on domains and you are just starting out.. never ever go for handregs.. and just join into the bidding on some aftermarket names.. that generate some bidding interest among a bunch of people... and in the end you will be most likely better off putting that 10k into say 10 aftermarket names.. versus handregging 1000 names for 10k.

YEH is the more exciting version of yeah and it's spelled incorrectly on purpose.

Comes from: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yeh

•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
LOL, you picked the 3rd choice, not the TOP DEFINITION. Pretty sad.
Well you do read, lol Do you eat crabs? oysters? mussels, lobster?....I do......Shell Yeh!

•••
Worthless domain. No one is going to invest at least $500,000 into a restaurant concept and choose the mediocre name Shell Yeh as it's name especially when the domain of a restaurant is not that critical. Just add the suffix restaurant, food etc...or the prefix get, eat, etc....

If you are going to spend a half a million dollars on a concept then spending $2,195 on ShellYeah.com as the best domain is a no brainer. Why would they buy your mispelled domain to possibly save only one thousand dollars. Makes zero sense.

Targeting mispelled domains makes sense if you choose the right ones. For example choosing two word names ending in Craft like ClosetCraft. Let's say Frank Schilling owns ClosetCraft and has it for sale at $50,000 then registering ClosetKraft and listing it for $5,000 makes total sense to a buyer that doesn't have 50 grand but would settle on the mispelling for $5,000. Obviously this is just an example.

•••
Worthless domain. No one is going to invest at least $500,000 into a restaurant concept and choose the mediocre name Shell Yeh as it's name especially when the domain of a restaurant is not that critical. Just add the suffix restaurant, food etc...or the prefix get, eat, etc....

If you are going to spend a half a million dollars on a concept then spending $2,195 on ShellYeah.com as the best domain is a no brainer. Why would they buy your mispelled domain to possibly save only one thousand dollars. Makes zero sense.

Targeting mispelled domains makes sense if you choose the right ones. For example choosing two word names ending in Craft like ClosetCraft. Let's say Frank Schilling owns ClosetCraft and has it for sale at $50,000 then registering ClosetKraft and listing it for $5,000 makes total sense to a buyer that doesn't have 50 grand but would settle on the mispelling for $5,000. Obviously this is just an example.
I guess you've never heard the common expression "Hell Yeah" I'd suggest you Google it before being so critical. Do you know anything about shell fish or seafood? A good friend of mine owns one of the most successful Seafood Restaurants in my area called AweShucks, and he absolutely luvs the name. Of course he's the one who invented the dish OysterCollardFella, so what would he know:xf.wink: Where's your sense of humor man?

•••
I've been advised by old time domainers not to hand register domains. I still don't know why

You'll find out why. The cheap way or the hard way, your choice.

•••
Bulloney
Newbies which you still are tend to not be as discerning about domain acquisitions as those who have been around several years. I still believe that memorable, brandable domain names are grossly underappreciated by developers and end users. But the mentality that any old domain will do is common so potential buyers are very resistant to opening their wallets to buy a domain name. Domain names which go unsold after year one face a renew / drop decision. The faster you drop low-quality domains the better. A $10 renewal may not seem like much but when you multiply that $10 renewal times 500 low-quality domains which will never sell times a few years, you see the math. Over time domain investors tend to get choosier about the domains they acquire and those they will renew. So after seven years one should have a somewhat curated portfolio. That does not mean a newbie cannot identify a few opportunities. I was a newbie in late 2005 but I handregged a two-word .Com name which this week received a $3000 offer which I turned down.

Last edited:
•••
I've been advised by old time domainers not to hand register domains. I still don't know why, but every single one of my 1,500 plus domains have been hand registered. While I agree it's unlikely I'd hand register a domain for $10 today and turnaround and sell it for 10K tomorrow, I do believe it's entirely possible to hand register a domain today and reap the big bucks down the road.

For example...today I was driving home and hear on the radio an add for a Crab Feast in my area. In the add, when someone was asked if they were going to the crab feast, their comment was ShellYeah! So I'm thinking, when I get home I'm going to see if domains like ShellYea(.)com or ShellYeaSeafood(.)com was taken or even ShellYeaOysters(.).com. Of course if you haven't picked up that this is a play off the slang term "HellYea" you may never understand:xf.confused:. So then I'm thinking, how might this domain sound as the name for a national Seafood Restaurant like Red Lobster or Bonefish Grill or Joes Crab Shack? So I get home and start researching names via Go Daddy's domain Appraisal link. And because the words, "Yeah", "Yea" and "Yeh" can match up with Shell and Hell, I do some more research via Google for the match up. It turns out that the correct grammer word(s) to go with Shell are "Yes" and "Yeah" with "Yeh" being a variation of "Yeah". And since the pronunciation for the word "Yea" is actually "Yay", I eliminated it.

So it turns out ShellYes(.)com and ShellYeah(.)com are both premium domains and were taken:xf.frown:, but ShellYeh(.)com was available. I'm aware that "Yeh" is less formal than "Yes" and "Yeah", but my thinking is, since eating any kind of shell fish (oysters, clams, crabs etc) is "hands on dining".....ShellYeh:hungry:com might be a great name for Seafood Restaurant specializing in shellfish.

My point is, hand registering domains may not be the answer for some domainers, but I think it can work fine for those who put a little thought into it. Thanks

btw, ShellYeh! appraises for $893 at GD, $2,190 at Freevaluator and $4,432 at Notka domains...go figure:xf.wink:

I did / do same

forget godaddy and other tool for this approach

it either makes a lot of sense to you
or don't reg it

don't aim for $1K USD

after 15 years hold time I just sold one of those for $5K USD
which was way to cheap -- but it's summer

•••
shell yeah 01.jpg

:-D This was what popped into my head when I first saw that expression.

Last edited:
•••
Bulloney
Newbies which you still are tend to not be as discerning about domain acquisitions as those who have been around several years. I still believe that memorable, brandable domain names are grossly underappreciated by developers and end users. But the mentality that any old domain will do is common so potential buyers are very resistant to opening their wallets to buy a domain name. Domain names which go unsold after year one face a renew / drop decision. The faster you drop low-quality domains the better. A $10 renewal may not seem like much but when you multiply that $10 renewal times 500 low-quality domains which will never sell times a few years, you see the math. Over time domain investors tend to get choosier about the domains they acquire and those they will renew. So after seven years one should have a somewhat curated portfolio. That does not mean a newbie cannot identify a few opportunities. I was a newbie in late 2005 but I handregged a two-word .Com name which this week received a $3000 offer which I turned down.
Thanks Garptrader......you'll notice that most of the domains I register are registered with specific "end users" in mind just as though they hired me to help them come up with a name for their business. This sort of business was occurring long before domain names ever existed. I know this for a fact because I'd started a medical billing business in 1987, and my partner and I hired a firm to help us come up with a new name for our business which at the time was Accounts Receivable Management Corporation aka ARMANCO. After a couple of meetings and after about 50 names suggested/recommended by four of us....we decided on the name AcSel. It cost us $2,000, and guess who came up with the name? Since then I've come up with names for dozens of businesses, some of which are OK, and some maybe not? The point is, the old time domainers here don't know any better than me, and they probably couldn't seek out an "end user" for a name they own if their lives depended on it. How do you suppose I know that I'll be able to sell 20% of the names I register? It's really not too complicated when you have the experience and confidence that I have:)

•••
Thanks Garptrader......you'll notice that most of the domains I register are registered with specific "end users" in mind just as though they hired me to help them come up with a name for their business. This sort of business was occurring long before domain names ever existed. I know this for a fact because I'd started a medical billing business in 1987, and my partner and I hired a firm to help us come up with a new name for our business which at the time was Accounts Receivable Management Corporation aka ARMANCO. After a couple of meetings and after about 50 names suggested/recommended by four of us....we decided on the name AcSel. It cost us $2,000, and guess who came up with the name? Since then I've come up with names for dozens of businesses, some of which are OK, and some maybe not? The point is, the old time domainers here don't know any better than me, and they probably couldn't seek out an "end user" for a name they own if their lives depended on it. How do you suppose I know that I'll be able to sell 20% of the names I register? It's really not too complicated when you have the experience and confidence that I have:)

Blah Blah Blah. Every thread you start turns into the how great Bulloney is thread.
This about version 42.

Here is a list of your your top 10 all time domain sales -

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)

For someone who says "make something happen", there seems to be a lot more talking than making something happen.

Last edited:
•••
The beauty of this name is that if the seafood angle hits a dead end you can pivot north of the border and pitch it to every Shelly in Canada. Shelly eh? Oh yeh, this one is gold, Jerry, gold!

•••
Back