IT.COM

new gtlds Analysis of ngTLD Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
I just released my fourth (monthly) analysis of NameBio reported ngTLD sales. This was another huge month for .top, but .app also did very well for such a new extension, snagging two of the top five sales in the 30 day period. Here are the highlights.

During the monthly period ending June 22, 2018 there were
  • 104 recorded ngTLD domain name sales;
  • The average sales price was about $3450, while the median price was $1580;
  • In terms of major sales, 8 were for $10,000 or more;
  • The highest price sales in this period were bz.top for $53,904, RN.app for $15,000, host.app for $14,162 bet.top for $13,861 and ttt.top for $13,130;
  • There were sales in 16 different extensions during the reporting period;
The complete report with commentary, links (to sources and the previous three similar analysis reports) and a list of all extensions sold during the 30 day period is available here:

https://agreatnameforyou.blogspot.com/2018/06/ngtld-sales-report-may-23-june-22-2018.html

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
$0 sales here :) look at my sig

•••
so i m done with n Gs..

not interested in new gtld reg/purch anymore.

•••
I sold 7 nTLDs as of today... ~$640 per domain on average.
My sales volume could be higher - but I usually reject all inquiries under $500... and even such inquiries are rare.
And overall, I'm in debt with nTLDs... as of today.

Last edited:
•••
Many companies use *group.com domains...
And tons EMD.group are available...
This is another indicator.

Last edited:
•••
Many companies use *group.com domains...
And tons EMD.group are available...
This is another indicator.
in my experience brands prefer ***group.coms instead of .group domain.

•••
You are doing statistics or domaining???

If only statistics - then Yes, NameBio is completely enough.
But if you want to live from domaining - you should research the domains in other ways, via various methods...
Even information from parking (traffic) is very valuable in terms of analysis...

•••
You are doing statistics or domaining???

If only statistics - then Yes, NameBio is completely enough.
But if you want to live from domaining - you should research the domains in other ways, via various methods...
Even information from parking (traffic) is very valuable in terms of analysis...

I agree - in fact in a recent post on NamePros I say this "My main advice is to be cautious of placing too much emphasis on any single aspect of a domain name, but rather research it based on multiple criteria."
When evaluating a domain name, whether for potential purchase or setting a price or for arguments in a negotiation, I feel that it is important to look at potential users and uses, history, similar sales, NameBio stats, aesthetics of the word, Google search data, advertiser CPC etc, name uniqueness, new social or technological trends that might influence the value, etc.

The title of this thread is ANALYSIS so I think using NameBio statistics is relevant! I see the purpose of analysis as partly to see if there are trends that may be beneficial to domain investors. Yes, there are always biases in any dataset, even errors most of the time. But refusing to use data will be bad for the domain community for at least two reasons.
  1. We will miss seeing changes in the landscape, such as which types of domains are now selling more often and for more, and which are not showing any sales. We make uninformed investment decisions.
  2. Spending by businesses on quality domains will be more common when the topic of digital asset worth receives more attention in university and college business courses. That will happen more if there is additional analysis and other forms of scholarly commentary. I know that may not seem important to those needing to make sales, but in the long run the domain industry will be stronger, and there will be more high value sales, when there is more treatment of domain names in the education of those who lead startups, manage businesses, work as consultants, marketing or advertising/branding.
Thanks again for your post, @Jurgen Wolf

Last edited:
•••
•••
@MetBob I should say you are doing great work here... putting all stats of ngTLD..that gives clear of monthly sales...

Thanks for gining your time for this...

I will look forward for each month updates...

•••
@MetBob I should say you are doing great work here... putting all stats of ngTLD..that gives clear of monthly sales...

Thanks for gining your time for this...

I will look forward for each month updates...

Thank you for your generous comments, @vravis9. I will have the next monthly report up very soon, hopefully today. The next one expands analysis to look at the type of ngTLD names selling (e.g. fraction short vs single word vs longer) and also a bit closer look at venues. It will show a month of mixed messages - more sales but lower average prices. Details soon!

•••
(e.g. fraction short vs single word vs longer) and also a bit closer look at venues

That will be great... I wish all sales data is made available without omitting any platform...lack of this definitely making the data half reliable!
...also I wish all sales from brandable market places are updated on NameBio or anywhere else...mainly we need total sales numbers and comparison between these market places...as far I know nothing is available like this.

Thanks

•••
Thanks @MetBob

Sedo over the years in ngTLDs. There is a trend toward higher prices

Few days ago I was going through NameBio sales data for each venue separately...
I was checking number of sales till date and total dollar volume and average price per name...
Sedo was on top of all platforms in terms of average price... usually when you see a big price sale it's most often occured on Sedo..

The only reported higher sales than Sedo is private sales!!

And this is applicable for all extensions...

•••
I will be posting the new monthly analysis of ngTLD sales in just over a week. Unless the rate picks up in this last week, it looks like this will be the lowest month in a bit. The $57,500 sale of design in .online is the leader so far in the month (Sept 24 sale). It turns out that it and king (also in .online, but a few days before so not in this report) were both sold, and are in use, by the same Australian based company. Although through Sedo, these were Radix registry sales. Dynadot has emerged as one of the more active marketplaces for ngTLD sales. I will provide the numbers when I do the next report. Anyway, stay tuned!
Bob

•••
this is a great thread. thanks for the analysis. my favorite was "I really like domain names that span the dot with great coherence between name and extension." i think that's important with the ngtlds because it becomes more relevant more catch phrasey. are you going to do these analyses anymore? i hope so.

•••
@Bob Hawkes thanks again..

Will you be doing the same stats for overall sales of the year..of course they already available in monthly basis...
Just asking..

Also for January and February it would be great to see if you do same analysis for all sales in these months...

As many mention first quarter of the year sees a lot of inquiries and this reflects in sales...

We can check directly in Namebio but you are good at these analysis...

Thanks,
Ravi

•••
Average for nTLDs is mid-high $xxx, from real practice with thousands domains...

Exclude all Premiums from your calculation and you will see another picture.

Last edited:
•••
Only these 3 domains: token.xyz, airconditioning.online and bot.app can be considered as "sales".
All others - Premium regs, domainers have nothing from them.

•••
bot.app - was regged at higher fee prior GA.

•••
p.s. And overall, I see too many various theories/theoreticians... sometimes even from microdomainers...
And very rarely I see the real experience... which can be taken into account.

•••
This month I had some outbound to various companies regarding EMDs...
They run 2word .COMs where 2nd part is the existent nTLD...
No any interest, even no any response.
Unfortunately.

•••
Although .top dominated again
Only in China, outside CN the demand is slightly higher than 0 (even lowballers are rare).

•••
Moscow.top is ~4 years available... no buyers even for $5xx (one-time fee, then standard renewal).

•••
Registry has troubles with Moscow.top - it is availabe for registration ~4 years already and for symbolic price...
This was just example of almost zero demand outside CN.

Your English domains (if any) have no value for Chineses.
Except some crypto related terms and something MEGA.

Last edited:
•••
Regarding LL/LLL.TOP
They ALL are Premiums.

•••
Regarding sales under $500...
This can be done with any traditional domains... for such results - nTLDs are not needed at all.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back