Dynadot

advice New To This Field .. Need Clarification

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HarryBoy

Impact
I was looking to buy old domains and thought pending delete is the right option. I got 2 domains which are in auction right now but when I check their whois, it shows they were created 3 days ago.

The main reason why I wanted these was that they were very old domains. I think I am doing something wrong here. If I want very old domains, what should I be looking at? Seems like pending delete is not the right option.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You need to look at expiring auctions. Sounds like the names dropped and someone registered them again.

Welcome to NP.

Last edited:
•••
What would be the best places to look for such domains?

•••
GoDaddy Auctions with $7.99 auction membership look for coupon before you buy Ebates retailmenot etc

Dynadot marketplace, NameSilo, Flippa etc

NamePros start a thread and buy names from people here that meet your criteria. I think almost all registrars have some sort of marketplace.

If you are looking for. a certain age you can input that at most places.

Last edited:
•••
The main reason why I wanted these was that they were very old domains
If i may ask you, what make you think such "old" domains are better in whatever way?

Another question, if the domain from like 1995 when being re-registered in 2018, becomes somehow "less old"?

•••
You should focus on finding good domains rather than old domains (there is often but not always correlation). expireddomains.net can help you find both :)

•••
My research says that they help a lot in terms of SEO. Yes, a domain registered in 1995 and deleted in 2017 has no value as compared to a domain that was registered in 2002 and never deleted. Of course, if both have similar backlink profile.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

•••
My research says that they help a lot in terms of SEO. Yes, a domain registered in 1995 and deleted in 2017 has no value as compared to a domain that was registered in 2002 and never deleted. Of course, if both have similar backlink profile.

Your research is wrong about "Seo" maybe some of them get cut by Google or if not it's still not good for SEO.

•••
While age of a domain name sometimes is indicative of quality, by itself it is not a sufficient (or necessary) condition. The difference between a domain name that was registered for 10 years, dropped, and was picked up a bit later and had its clock reset is not necessarily much better than one that went from one owner to another and seems much older.

While age may help you weed out a shorter list, I would recommend that you use the following in assessing quality:
  1. Does the name make sense? Ask those not in domaining what the name means, and if they react positively to it. Also say it and see if they can spell it.
  2. Look at NameBio to find similar names, e.g. ones that start or end similarly, and see both what these comparators sold for and when. Also use GoDaddy GoValue that will show you comparators not in NameBio, including some low price ones.
  3. If a word or multiple word domain, look at how often, and at what average price, that keyword has sold so far in 2018 vs 2017 and 2016 and all time (using NameBio). That is look at trends, is the term becoming more popular and valuable? Use your knowledge of the niche to help see whether new technology or society terms are increasing in importance.
  4. Most importantly, make a list of how many businesses/organizations might want the domain and how they would use it. If you can't come up with that list, how will you sell it?
  5. Ask yourself how unique the domain is. e.g. if a new extension, is it available to hand register in equally good extensions; if a com/net/org are any of the other available at low cost or if a multiple word are there numerous other multiple words that fit equally well.
I personally would rate the age of the domain less important than all 5 of these factors.

To give a personal example, I have a continuously registered domain in a major extension that is more than 17 years old. It is a single word regional term that has been used in a business with some well aged and diverse backlinks. Does that mean it is valuable? Not by itself. Some spell the word incorrectly (a negative) and while there is a small list of possibilities re (4) they have existing websites and in any case are probably not in position to spend significantly on it.

My main advice is to be cautious of placing too much emphasis on any single aspect of a domain name, but rather research it based on multiple criteria.

Best wishes for your success in your domain career!

Bob

•••

I've also read that when a domain is dropped and caught with a new WHOIS year it can automatically lose the link values in Google.

Looking at it logically Google could safely assume that the old website no longer exists due to the domain expiring, so the existing links would in theory no longer be relevant. Technically it would be quite a simple layer to their algorithm.

Domain age is also reported to be a factor in SEO.

If you want to preserve domain age you need to look for 'pre-release' domains at NameJet, Snapnames and GoDaddy. These technically don't drop they are just reallocated.

Simple summary of NJ here: https://help.namejet.com/hc/en-us/a...ion-and-Expiration-Dates-of-Purchased-Domains

I wouldn't rule out using DropCatch to catch deleting domains as age isn't everything, but if you're looking purely for SEO then probably stick to pre-release style auctions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back