Dynadot

new gtlds Analysis of ngTLD Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
I just released my fourth (monthly) analysis of NameBio reported ngTLD sales. This was another huge month for .top, but .app also did very well for such a new extension, snagging two of the top five sales in the 30 day period. Here are the highlights.

During the monthly period ending June 22, 2018 there were
  • 104 recorded ngTLD domain name sales;
  • The average sales price was about $3450, while the median price was $1580;
  • In terms of major sales, 8 were for $10,000 or more;
  • The highest price sales in this period were bz.top for $53,904, RN.app for $15,000, host.app for $14,162 bet.top for $13,861 and ttt.top for $13,130;
  • There were sales in 16 different extensions during the reporting period;
The complete report with commentary, links (to sources and the previous three similar analysis reports) and a list of all extensions sold during the 30 day period is available here:

https://agreatnameforyou.blogspot.com/2018/06/ngtld-sales-report-may-23-june-22-2018.html

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have posted the new monthly analysis of ngTLD sales. It was a quiet month (over the 8 months I have done these analyses the average is about 120 sales per month, and this one was 67) although dollar volume not much changed.
  • 67 NameBio recorded ngTLD sales in the 30 day period, with $180,800 total sale volume.
  • The average sales price was $2955. The median price was $801.
  • In terms of major sales, 1 was > $50,000, 8 were > $5000 and 29 > $1000.
  • Sales in 22 different extensions.
  • There were ngTLD domain sales during the month at 11 different venues. Dynadot had the largest number of sales (25) followed by Alibaba Cloud (15).
  • Registries accounted for almost 64% of dollar volume, but less than 19% by number.
The full report is at this link, and includes a list of all extensions sold, some of my favourite names sold, the highest price sales, etc.

Since the last report I have started writing regularly for NameTalent. I did a report there as well looking at the monthly sales analysis, however from the perspective of what actionable items might we take from it to guide our domain name investing. Here are a few of the items covered, but please go to the full report at the link below for the full picture.

What types of ngTLD domain names sell?
"In terms of the types of domain names that sold: 69% were single word, 14% were short (defined as 3 or fewer characters), and 9% were geographical." The geographical were all Asia based. There were 3 adult names a couple of number (or mixed) domains. Quality words that match the extension dominate ngTLD sales, and in general that is what you should invest in (although it is true that a few 2 and 3 word do sell, as in the AirConditioning a few months ago).

What venues are getting more active in ngTLD sales?
The big change this month from last was that Dynadot got significantly more active and Flippa less. Sedo continue to have sales each month, often for excellent prices. I am personally going to transfer some registrations to Dynadot and try selling at their marketplace. Remember that Undeveloped, Efty, and most registrar marketplaces do not report to NameBio.

How is the year 2018 shaping up? Do the ngTLDs have momentum or is interest waning?
This month was down slightly, but overall it looks like 2018 will be not much different than 2017 and 2016 in number and sales volume. See details in report.

Should you invest in ngTLDs?
Please check out what I say in the report!

Here is the link to the full NameTalent post and it also includes links to all 8 monthly analyses of ngTLD sales. As always, thanks for reading, and welcome your comments, here or there.

https://nametalent.com/2018/10/recent-new-extensions-domain-sales-actionable-insights/

I will issue the next analysis about the end of November.

Happy domain name investing, everyone!

Bob

Last edited:
•••
After a slow start, this became a very lively month for the new domain extensions. I just released my monthly report. I summarize some of the points here, or a link to the full report at the very bottom of this post.

Summary:
During the monthly period ending Aug 22, 2018 there were
  • 167 NameBio recorded ngTLD domain name sales with $425,600 total value.
  • The average sales price was $2549, while the median price was $649.
  • In terms of major sales, 12 were for $10,000 or more (69 were for $1000 or more).
  • There were sales during the month in 37 different extensions, Although .top dominated again with 65 of the sales, the extensions .bid, .club, .global, .online and .webcam all saw 5 or more sales during the month.
  • The highest sale during the month was bg.top which sold for $51,187.
  • There were new extension sales during the month at 16 different venues, plus one private sale. Flippa was the location for 72 of the sales while 13 were at Sedo.
  • While the registries dominated high value sales (at least 6 of the top 12 sales), in total numbers there was a strong majority of non-registry sales.
  • So far in 2018 there have been 793 ngTLD sales in total listed on NameBio, with an average sales price of $5007, accounting for a total of $4.0 million.
The Big Sales:
Here are the NameBio ngTLD sales of (about) $10,000 and more during the July 23 - Aug 22, 2018 reporting period.
  • bg.top $51,187
  • bl.top $46,847
  • coin.store $26,705
  • Mr.global $20,000
  • AirConditioning.online $19,500
  • token.xyz $14,999
  • xyz.top $10,910
  • caijing.top $10,183
  • win.tech $10,000
  • origin.tech $10,000
  • ado.tech $10,000
  • bot.app $9,999
Extension Brekdown:
Wondering if your favourite extensions found any love this month? Here is the breakdown by extension, and some that were seldom if ever in NameBio saw sales this month (yes, even party and cricket and men).
  • app 2
  • bid 6
  • bio 1
  • cash 1
  • center 1
  • club 9
  • cricket 1
  • dance 1
  • date 2
  • download 1
  • fun 4
  • fund 1
  • fit 1
  • global 5
  • gold 1
  • life 3
  • loan 3
  • media 1
  • men 3
  • news 1
  • one 1
  • online 10
  • party 2
  • place 2
  • review 4
  • science 2
  • site 2
  • space 3
  • style 1
  • stream 2
  • tech 4
  • top 65
  • trade 3
  • webcam 5
  • website 3
  • win 3
  • xyz 3
Personal Favourites:
I really like domain names that span the dot with great coherence between name and extension. These ones caught my eye this month (in no particular order, they are all pure.gold!).
  • win.tech
  • pure.gold
  • live.fit
  • link.global
  • Mr.global
  • coin.store
  • food.style
  • mail.place
  • reset.top
  • shares.place
  • growth.online
  • counselling.online
Thoughts:
More in full post, but finally the value end ($100-$400) saw a lot of sales, mainly on Flippa. Some 2 and even 3 word names sold (including a few for decent amounts). This is the healthiest month overall in the 6 reports I have done (links to them all in the full report).

A Quote:
If you take the sum of .net plus .org, together their registration numbers (about 14.1 and 10.3 million) are just under 25 million, just slightly more than all ngTLDs combined. I therefore thought it would be interesting to compare the dollar value (as of Aug 23, 2018) of 2018 YTD sales (on NameBio). For .net it is $1.6 million and for .org $2.0 million, for a total of $3.6 million, very comparable to the $4.0 million in ngTLD sales YTD. In number of sales, however, .net and .org are much higher (1617 and 2560 respectively vs only 793 YTD ngTLD sales).
Full report:
https://agreatnameforyou.blogspot.com/2018/08/new-domain-extension-sales-july-23-aug.html

•••
I was a bit late but have now posted the Oct 23-Nov 22 period analysis of ngTLD sales data. Here are some highlights. This period was more active than the previous month, but not as active as during the summer. Sales at major prices in the .company extension became active. The dominance of .top continued, although primarily registry sales from a single region.
  • 88 NameBio recorded ngTLD sales in the 31 day period, with about $257,000 total sale volume.
  • The average sales price was $2920. The median price was $1404.
  • In terms of major sales, 11 were > $5000 and 57 > $1000.
  • Sales occurred in 24 different extensions.
  • The highest price sales were KS.top ($38,196), new.earth ($18,800), have.fun ($11,500), spiritual.life ($9750), community.global ($8000), food.top ($7567) and preserve.life ($7500).
  • There were ngTLD domain sales during the month at 12 different venues. Alibaba Cloud had the highest number of sales (24) with Sedo second (15), although Sedo had a larger sales volume dollar wise.
  • Most ngTLD sales are either single word or very short (or both). Together those categories accounted for 72% of the sales this month.
  • Registries accounted for almost 51% of dollar volume and about 27% of the sales by number this month.
  • In 2018 YTD there have been 1363 ngTLD sales listed on NameBio, with an average price of $3606. Sales volume is just over $4.9 million YTD.
Here is the link to the full report which includes a table of sales by extension, another by marketplace venue, along with a list of some names that I found made particularly effective use of spanning the dot.

https://domainworld.info/sales/Nov2018.html

This is the 9th monthly ngTLD sales analysis report in the series. You can get links to all of the reports together here.

I will be soon posting a shorter article on NameTalent that will concentrate on the messages for domain investors from the most recent analysis. I will post a link when that is up, but did not want to further delay the analysis itself.

I have decided to move to reporting periods that end at the end of the calendar month, so the next report will cover the period to the end of December and will be published early in January.

As always welcome comments, suggestions and corrections.

Bob

PS Some will notice that I have posted this on a new site, DomainWorld.info, rather than my blogger site. New monthly analyses, and my reviews of domain extensions, will be published on this site. It is very much a work in progress so don't bother yet visiting the other parts of the site that are under construction.

•••
I today posted on NameTalent my insights from the November monthly report. This is a complement to the full report, that is mainly presenting the statistics. The points I make include the following:
  • The prospective sales in ngTLDs are for most part in short (3 character or less) and especially single word domains.
  • It is not the extension that is the key point but rather the domain + extension match.
  • Prices seem very variable even for quality words in the ngTLD space.
  • The median price that ngTLDs sell at is more than 4x what the main legacy TLDs median price.
  • Sedo, Dynadot and Uniregristry were good places to sell. ngTLDs mainly stopped selling at Flippa (probably due to their recent pricing change)
  • While I think it is wrong to emphasize extensions unduly, I do note that .company had a great month with 8 sales over $1k.
  • I see evidence in last few months of a disproportionate number of non-business organizations using and buying, sometimes for good prices, ngTLDs. I expect this to continue.
  • What do I say about ngTLD investing in general? I had to leave something to induce you to go to the full report! :xf.wink: It is at the following link.
https://nametalent.com/2019/01/messages-from-a-month-of-new-domain-extension-sales/

Thanks for reading, and best wishes for the new year.

Bob

(ps I am working on the monthly report to end of December and hope to have it up before too many days)

•••
Great analysis, thanks for the hard work @MetBob

•••
Another month has rolled around (wow, really?), so I have produced another analysis of 30 days of ngTLD sales. Here are the highlights:
  • 102 recorded ngTLD domain name sales;
  • The average sales price was $3372, while the median price was $1330;
  • In terms of major sales, 7 were for $10,000 or more;
  • The highest price sales in this period were qb.top for $52,777, xt.top for $47,904, do.global for $19,000, host.app for $13,981, get.top for $12,814, pen.top for $11,779 and industrial.group for $10,000;
  • There were sales in 19 different extensions during the reporting period, although .top dominated with 73 of the sales;
  • So far in 2018 there have been 620 ngTLD sales in total listed on NameBio, with an average sales price of $5676, accounting for a total of $3.5 million in sales.
Overall the results (number sales, total value, number extensions, number above $10,000) were similar to the previous reporting period. Short .top domain names continue to dominate. You can see the complete report, that includes an analysis by number sold in each extension as well as links to the four previous reports at this link:

https://agreatnameforyou.blogspot.com/

This time I included in the report a list of some of the sales that I think personally think are effective uses of ngTLD to 'span the dot' with a nice combination of the domain plus extension. My favourites included be.fit, cat.life, dev.global, DNA.life, dog.life, get.top, industrial.group, MilkyWay.space, and raise.top.

As always, I welcome corrections or suggestions! I will do the next report in late August and it will be posted in this thread. I also promote when a new report is out on my Twitter feed, in case you want to follow me there. Thanks to Michael and the team at NameBio that make it possible, and relatively easy, to put together reports such as this one.

Naturally the small print holds that while an attempt has been made for accuracy, the user of the report should independently confirm any information of importance to him/her, and this is offered for educational purposes only, and not as domain investing advice, and without explicit or implied warranty.

I hope everyone is having a good summer!

Bob

•••
Thank you for your experience based comments @Jurgen Wolf.

Here briefly is my response:

(a) The question of whether registry sales should be excluded depends on whether the question is "How many organizations are purchasing (and using) ngTLDs?" or "How much money can individual domainers make? Of course those on venues like NPs are interested predominantly in the second question, although I believe that the overall health depends on use of an extension, and both questions have relevance.

(b) The report of course says "the registries dominated high value sales"so I don't disagree with your statement that if you excluded all registry data the numbers are different. I have several times made estimates of the percentage of the number of sales and the percentage of total revenue that are registry, for those interested in the second question - e.g. here I estimated that while only about 30% by number of NameBio reported ngTLD recent sales are to registry, about 54% of the dollar value is to registry. Some others on NPs suggested that the 54% should be higher.

(c) I am not sure that you looked at the actual list on NameBio of the sales but I would urge you to do so (not just the top 10 but the entire list of 167). I think you will readily convince yourself that while many of the big sales to registry, there really are a lot of nonregistry sales in this dataset (for example look at the Flippa sales if you want a smaller set to go through). I quickly went through the 167 and I would say that 54 are likely registry (all of the JB sales, the Alibaba few, all of the global, I think the 8 Dynadot, the 4 tech although it is possible they are reselling originally premium in some cases but I counted all 4, at least 4 of the Sedo handled ones, and I think 13 of the Alibaba cloud). So about 32% by number are registry, about the same number I found in different data earlier. The hardest to figure out are the Alibaba Cloud, some of which are Chinese resellers and some are registry, and West also.

(d) Yes most .top sales (and registrations) are from/to China. Actually that is true in other niches like short numbers I think (correct me if I am wrong on that). I am not clear why that is important who the buyers are? Except that it means to be successful with top you should try to figure out ways to serve that market. There are about 10,000 new businesses starting each day in China. Yes, different extensions are popular in different regions.

(e) You say "Average for nTLDs is mid-high $xxx, from real practice with thousands domains..." If you are saying what I think, then I totally agree with you. The full report (the one at the link at the bottom of the post) actually talks about why I think it is a good thing that now we have significant numbers of non-registry sales mainly in the $150 to $450 range. The main thing that changed in this report is that there was a lot of activity at that price level (particularly at Flippa but also other places). I know that some will discount that as too low to be meaningful, but I would point out that the median price for .com NameBio sales today was $249 and the median of .org today was $172. Some days are a bit higher, but most NameBio reported sales are in the hundreds of dollars. I agree that very few ngTLDs sell for more than that if that is what you are saying. A few do, like the ones in the top 10, but that is not the norm.

(f) While I am sorry that you have trouble selling Moscow.top (it is an elegant name), it is one domain and I am not clear what that means to us all in a broader context. As with any domain name you make a list of who might want the domain name and how likely it is to get the name in front of them. I admit, I find .top hard and have asked on NPs for advice on how to get domains in front of potential Chinese buyers.

(g) What encouraged me about the past month was that there were a lot of obviously non registry sales that were in a lot of different extensions. Yes .top, .tech and .global still had a fair amount of the pie, but more diversity than the last 6 months especially in the $150 to $500 range. As I said in the previous reply, and also in my original full report if you go to the bottom of it, it is easier to sell legacy extensions.

I know many on here have felt burned by .mobi or ngTLDs and I do get that. I try to always look at as much and as current data as possible, and that is simply what I have tried to contribute to the community through these monthly posts. I really am not forcing anyone to read them! :xf.wink:

Have a good day, and thank you for taking the time to express you comments. Best wishes for every success in your domain business.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Nobody renews such volumes...
1 year for promofee >>> drop >>> reregistration again for promofee (if motivation still exists).

Last edited:
•••
@Bob Hawkes

You’re a Namepros hero! I’ve missed this thread, but will follow it from now on. Thank you so much for collecting and publishing all this data.

Happy New Year!

•••
@Bob Hawkes thanks again..

Will you be doing the same stats for overall sales of the year..of course they already available in monthly basis...
Just asking..

Also for January and February it would be great to see if you do same analysis for all sales in these months...

As many mention first quarter of the year sees a lot of inquiries and this reflects in sales...

We can check directly in Namebio but you are good at these analysis...

Thanks,
Ravi

I am planning to do a year in review, not just for new extensions but for several major categories. It won't have the same detail as the monthly ones but hopefully will be useful.

I will be doing the final month for 2018 soon in the regular format.

Now that I have gradually formalized how I do them, my plan is to do the 12 monthly reports for 2019 and then a detailed compilation of them. I don't have plans to go back and do Jan and Feb of 2018 though (the way NameBio works it is tough to extract just one month from in the past).

I agree that Jan and Feb seem like good months (just got an offer a couple of hours ago through Undeveloped on one of my ngTLDs so year off to good start!), and it is unfortunate I did not start the series until March. I hope this year to cover the entire year with a consistent analysis procedure.

Bob

•••
@Bob Hawkes
Sounds a solid plan...

My support for this plan...

No worries about last year Jan and Feb sales...
Still these are very valuable stats all in one place..

You are giving your time for this... thanks

I saw 140 views on 1st and 400 views on 2ns January...on my 300+ list on Undeveloped.

Still no inquiry yet..

Hoping to see a sale this month..

Good luck

•••
Hey Bob, Did you do the annual reviews on ngtlds, as mentioned in this post ?
Cant seem to find it here.
Not precisely but just over a year ago I did an extensive look at new gTLDs on various aspects such as registrations, use etc. It does include a look at the sales for the year 2019, both the major sales and the types of names that sell.
https://www.namepros.com/blog/new-extension-domains-reach-30-million-registrations.1168756/

i do include new extensions to some degree in all my annual updates such as the one published yesterday on NamePros Blog.

Re your question on NameTalent, I do have a New Year’s Resolution to do better.

Bob

•••
•••
•••
Thank you for your kind words, @Premiums !

It is important to keep in mind that these are just the sales reported in NameBio. In general no Afternic or Undeveloped sales, or those through individual Efty sites, are reported unless the buyer/seller takes initiative to do so. Also, the extension data is skewed by the fact that some registries report sales (.global and .top) while most others do not.

Nevertheless, I think it is useful to keep an eye on what is selling, what prices are typically. Now that i have done 5 of these reports, one of the things that surprises me most is how after no sales at all over months or even years, the first sale in an extension may be a significant one.

If there are other aspects anyone would like to see reported, please let me know!

•••
Surprised you’re using blogspot and not Wordpress or your own site?

•••
Surprised you’re using blogspot and not Wordpress or your own site?

I admit that I am using it simply because that is what I started with (in other blogs) many years ago (2006), know it, and find it easy to use. I do know the limitations of blogger, however, and do eventually plan to move to my own site at NamesThat.win in a section for analysis, but it has not yet moved high enough in priority for me to actually get it done. Thank you for taking the time to comment! (and maybe it will nudge me to finally get around to it!).

•••
I admit that I am using it simply because that is what I started with (in other blogs) many years ago (2006), know it, and find it easy to use. I do know the limitations of blogger, however, and do eventually plan to move to my own site at NamesThat.win in a section for analysis, but it has not yet moved high enough in priority for me to actually get it done. Thank you for taking the time to comment! (and maybe it will nudge me to finally get around to it!).
Keep it up! Hope the motivation kicks in!

•••
very useful info thanks for taking the time. The sales prices seem to be fairly consistent, but hopefully they will trend up.

•••
In number of sales, however, .net and .org are much higher (1617 and 2560 respectively vs only 793 YTD ngTLD sales).

So 81% less chance to sell a ngtld versus dotorg or dotnet using this snapshot. Cool

•••
So 81% less chance to sell a ngtld versus dotorg or dotnet using this snapshot. Cool

Yes, that is indeed true for a NameBio reported 2018 YTD snapshot. And does not surprise me. I do believe net/org (and co and others and definitely com) are easier to sell currently.

However, it is also true that the average sales volume in dollars per domain name is about the same, for net/org/new actually slightly in favour of ngTLDs from this snapshot. That did surprise me, somewhat.

(ps Yes, I know I know, but the registries..... have done and posted an attempt at that correction elsewhere).

•••
So 4 years elapsed... and almost no any changes in terms of enduser behaviour/preference...
Looks that only registries/registrars are making money.

Last edited:
•••
•••
So if an average domain investor holds say 500 new TLD domains across dozens of extensions but none of them are five character or less .TOP domains what does their cash flow probably look like?

X sales at median price of $xxx per sale
500 renewals at average cost of $xx per domain
Net cash flow?

The comparison to .Net and .Org is interesting. I still hold dozens of .Net domains. I think I sold one last year for low $XXX but it has an original registration date from the late 90s. The last year I had a net addition of .Net registrations to my portfolio was likely 2008 ( every year since more drops than adds). The last year I had a net addition of .TV domains to my portfolio was likely 2012 (since then occasional adds but far more drops as $30 renewals consume the rare sale).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back