Dynadot

American forbid to reg Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm not very sure about this, I read this by accident today while delivering newspaper:

Americans will soon be forbidden to register any more domains or something? They say Americans are hogging the world of domains, and taking all the names?

I'm kind of worried about this, so please reply what you've heard ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't care, I'm a citizen of Russia, so let the communists hog it ;) haha

IMO just a dumba** rumor

•••
leviathon said:
I'm not very sure about this, I read this by accident today while delivering newspaper:

Americans will soon be forbidden to register any more domains or something? They say Americans are hogging the world of domains, and taking all the names?

What newspaper was this? Also you live in Canada so it looks like you wouldn't have to worry if it were true. I highly doubt it's true. America loves to have almost majority in everything, but do you see Americans ever being denied the ability to buy something.

•••
lol, Do you have a link?

•••
Yeah,

I tried to buy a .org domain name before. The registrar came back saying the domain is reserved for 3rd world country.

•••
RJ posted a topic about the UN trying to take universal control of the domain registry, but otherwise I do not think this is valid.

•••
I'm assuming you misread the newspaper article. It's not anything that will prevent Americans from registering domains, its the UN wants control over the domain name system taken from the US.

http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=131472

•••
eCommando said:
Yeah,

I tried to buy a .org domain name before. The registrar came back saying the domain is reserved for 3rd world country.
WHAT are you smoking .
Which registrar ??
.org is available to anyone with the reg fee.

•••
eCommando said:
Yeah,

lmao.

•••
You were trying to register it at a discounted rate, right?

Anyone can register a .ORG, but PIR (the .ORG registry) is offering a promotion to registrars right now where they can offer .ORGs at a dirt cheap price to registrants from third-world countries.

Registrars running that promotion have to deny registrants from non-qualifying countries.

•••
I don't believe it will happen,It's not logical and makes no sense,And as RJ stated,There are promotions and ect for third world countries to reg .org names free and at very reduced prices,These free and discounts on .org simply don't apply to the US.

•••
Okay thanks guy now I'm pretty sure it's not true. The thing is I have many friends/relatives in US, they're booking domains for me when they have time, and since most of the Domain companies are US, dunno... probably I misread.

And NO I never heard of .ORG booked by a 3rd country....

Case Closed

•••
Here is the email I got from the Registrar when I try to transfer a .ORG name to my account after I bought it.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting NamesBeyond.Com.
The domain was booked under FREE .ORG scheme which for the developing
nations only. Since the new owner is from US I cannot update the domain
information.
I regret for any inconvenience caused.

Thank You.
Warm Regards,
Customer Support Team.
Tel:+1-877-227-8870

•••
leviathon said:

Its true! and also Santa is not allowed to faster then 90 miles a hour this year!

•••
-RJ- said:
PIR (the .ORG registry) is offering a promotion to registrars right now where they can offer .ORGs at a dirt cheap price to registrants from third-world countries.

Registrars running that promotion have to deny registrants from non-qualifying countries.
RJ, do you know which registrars are involved in this promo?

•••
armstrong said:
GoodLuckDomain.in is one of the registrars. Giving up to 5 free .ORGs to people from India.

Bless ya!
RL, not RJ ;)

•••
faisj said:
Its true! and also Santa is not allowed to faster then 90 miles a hour this year!

Sorry, I don't get it :)

•••
•••
armstrong said:
-RJ- said:
PIR (the .ORG registry) is offering a promotion to registrars right now where they can offer .ORGs at a dirt cheap price to registrants from third-world countries.

Sorry, I don't have a list of which registrars are participating.

More information about the promo was here,
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/18/one_dollar_domains/

•••
obviously the US can't be stopped from regging domains

•••
It rubbish but the UN thingy is interesting and very accurate in the point made by it. Dividing the load would surely help the Domain Name System.

•••
faisj said:
LOL! :lol:

The UN trying to take control is the scary thing here...

In regards to US citizens not being able to register any more domain, is as it has been stated several times in this thread, complete rubbish.

•••
Maverick said:
LOL! :lol:

The UN trying to take control is the scary thing here...

In regards to US citizens not being able to register any more domain, is as it has been stated several times in this thread, complete rubbish.

They won't take control... (UN)

US won't lose control either

Noone would gain; no one would lose, because it's just not possible for one place to be forbid what they do best of the business

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back