Dynadot

discuss Am I wrong? Do domains really appreciate in value or is it Fools Gold?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

siyavuya

Established Member
Impact
I'm really starting to think that domains don't appreciate in value. I took the time to look around and I saw that the value is just pulled from thin air. Basing the value on a few things like length, keyword and sequence of numbers or letters is a hard sell. Has anyone here ever held a domain for some time and saw it go up in value?

One of the mistakes people make is confusing the value of money and the final price of a domain.
Let me give you a simple example:
Money goes down in value over time due to inflation

Most VIPs have a lot of domains which they hold for many years. Has anyone here ever gone back monthly or even yearly to increase the price of their domains or do they stay at the same price until sold?

I'm starting to really think that this is fools gold
Am I wrong?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm really starting to think that domains don't appreciate in value. I took the time to look around and I saw that the value is just pulled from thin air. Basing the value on a few things like length, keyword and sequence of numbers or letters is a hard sell. Has anyone here ever held a domain for some time and saw it go up in value?

One of the mistakes people make is confusing the value of money and the final price of a domain.
Let me give you a simple example:
Money goes down in value over time due to inflation

Most VIPs have a lot of domains which they hold for many years. Has anyone here ever gone back monthly or even yearly to increase the price of their domains or do they stay at the same price until sold?

I'm starting to really think that this is fools gold
Am I wrong?

Hi

a lot of extensions are Fool's Gold, like .best, .dev, .pw, .ws, .pro, .tel, .travel. mobi and ?99% of the rest of those new gtld's are Fool's Gold too.

why do I say that, even if there have been some sales within them?

cuz those sales are "one-off", they are the lottery tickets and most of those sales will occur during the hype period of pumping, so newbies will buy and sellers can start dumping.

if you only look at length, keywords,etc, without considering whether the domain as a whole "makes sense" then you're chasing Fool's Gold.
just look at all the ass backwards names folks are hawking cuz they couldn't get the proper term or phrase, where the words are in right order of procession.

money doesn't go down in value, only what you can buy with a $1 becomes less.
things and services become more expensive.

when I started domaining, .com reg fee was only $6.95, now it average $10
you can get promo deals cheaper, but renewal cost will be close to average.

as for domains going up in value.
many do as others have given examples for.

but other domainers have names which still earn some ppc, like me

so, surely, their value had increased overtime and the names even paid for their acquisition costs, plus the cost to renew them to date... and into the future

people are always posting wanted ads, in an effort to buy domains with traffic that earn ppc revenue

and I own names that have earned ppc rev for over a decade!

now, depending on how many domains one has, is the quantity at which they calculate expense for the year.

1000 names = $10k in renewal fees on average
500 names = $5k in renewal fees " "
300 names = $3k in renewal fees, which is where I fit in
and... having already sold a name for twice as much as my yearly expense, puts me over the top for 2019.
and... I bought that name 11 years ago for a couple hun-nerd bucks

and....now I don't have to sell another name this year or next year, and we not gonna mention ppc rev.

so yeah, a lot of it is Fool's Gold, but if you a Fool, you will chase it
and a lot of Fool's Gold sellers will try their hardest to convince you to invest

be smart, open your eyes, refute the lies, watch out for co-conspirators, pump assistants, etc. and perhaps you won't be misled.

imo...

•••
Absent some sort of new development that increases or decreases the value of the keyword (for example the crypto run then decline) domain name values don’t change over a period of months but definitely do change over the years.

Domains I have that were valued at reg fee or close to reg fee fifteen years ago are selling briskly in four figures or more today.

So if you’re looking for short term appreciation just because you’ve held short term you’re mostly going to be disappointed.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back