IT.COM

domain Am I Doing Something Wrong? - FlavWater.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MitchH

Established Member
Impact
Hello all!

So, long story short, I've tried seeking advice regarding my domains on this site several times, but I have not had much (if any) feedback. I've also tried selling my domains for quite some time on this website, Sedo and GoDaddy, but I haven't made any sales (I haven't received any interest at all actually). I'm doing a lot of market research and buying domains accordingly (I think), but I feel as though I must be doing something wrong because I have not received any interest at all. Before I continue buying domains, I was hoping someone could provide advice on a few domains I have registered to see if I'm completely wasting my time or if on the right track?

Just a couple of examples:
MedicareDrugPrices.com
OilBarrelPrices.com
WageInflation.com
ProductionTargets.com
ReformProgram.com
ConnectingPlatforms.com
PasswordAuthentication.com
IndustryMerger.com
WaterPails.com

I've also attempted brandables:
Fuzzlee.com
JayVox.com
VerifiLink.com
BankerWallet.com
FlavWater.com

What is your honest opinion? Are these domain examples on the right track or are they completely worthless? I'm really trying my best to learn and adapt to this market, but I really don't feel as though I'm doing well. All advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have asked the same sort of question myself mate,nothing back so dont hold your breath,but good luck.

•••
Most portfolios have a 2% sell through rate, when the domains are good.

So 2 domains per 100 you own, at max.

Now considering the domains you do own, I'm not surprised you have sold any yet.

I'd recommend going back to the drawing board and researching domain values some more.

Even the brandables aren't as good as they could be.

•••
When you purchase domains, you have to think about whether or not they are going to be wanted by businesses. In other words there has to be a sense of demand. That is what's lacking in you're names. You need to buy names that people want to associate their brands with.

This means you'll need to spend more per domain and research heavily to find opportunities.

At this point you aren't at the stage where you can class domains by quality level but don't worry you just need to continue reading and keeping up with sales trends, eventually you'll come to understand. When that happens your sales will take a big leap forward.

Last edited:
•••
Hello all!

So, long story short, I've tried seeking advice regarding my domains on this site several times, but I have not had much (if any) feedback. I've also tried selling my domains for quite some time on this website, Sedo and GoDaddy, but I haven't made any sales (I haven't received any interest at all actually). I'm doing a lot of market research and buying domains accordingly (I think), but I feel as though I must be doing something wrong because I have not received any interest at all. Before I continue buying domains, I was hoping someone could provide advice on a few domains I have registered to see if I'm completely wasting my time or if on the right track?

Just a couple of examples:
MedicareDrugPrices.com
OilBarrelPrices.com
WageInflation.com
ProductionTargets.com
ReformProgram.com
ConnectingPlatforms.com
PasswordAuthentication.com
IndustryMerger.com
WaterPails.com

I've also attempted brandables:
Fuzzlee.com
JayVox.com
VerifiLink.com
BankerWallet.com
FlavWater.com

What is your honest opinion? Are these domain examples on the right track or are they completely worthless? I'm really trying my best to learn and adapt to this market, but I really don't feel as though I'm doing well. All advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
Pls stop buying and see what was selling here and anywhere else , make note of it try to find pattern after that use apprisal on this forum to proceed

•••
Starting in 2016 and getting much worse by early 2017, and ongoing today the resale market for multi-word keyword names and some other types has been grinding to a halt, getting slower and slower.

IMO, the down-trend started due to 5 main causes: Brandable name popularity and being over-done, Chinese Chips number name craze, Bitcoin/Crypto-currency craze and market saturation, and high-cost one word Dictionary domains publicity, and steep decline in PPC. I see no signs of improvement.

Last edited:
•••
I would echo the sentiments of others. Take a step back and learn more.
If you are interested in brandables there is a wealth of free info at DNgeek.com

As for learning about domaining in general, I cannot overemphasize the time and money saving value of the DNacademy course. I wish that was available when I started.

•••
Not all two word names are equally good. Means, good for a business.

•••
Take time to research and read up before rushing in to purchasing names. It's a common mistake we all make. Think about niches, end users, and avoid long names. Patience is also key.

Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
The problem I see with the names you have posted is that they are too general, they do not refer to a specific business, service or product.

If you're going to focus on names you can flip to end-users, do not register or acquire them first and then look for buyers. That is the wrong approach.

Search for potential end-users before registering the domain and only register names for which you have already thought of and found a decent number of end-users.

The domain should be a two or three word name that business owners would like. For example, you will virtually guarantee a sale if you can register any popular US city + Plumber.

The best and most essential skill for a domain investor is to develop the skill of knowing a good name when he sees it. This may sound simple, but it takes a lot of effort. How do you do this?

Check sites like NameBio.com and see what City or State + Service or Product are selling. Again, this is only an example, the names do not have to be Geo and may be just product or service keywords, but the point is that the name should have a practical purpose for a business owner.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you everyone for taking the time and leaving a comment! I truly appreciate the honest and helpful feedback. I will be taking all of your advice and taking a more patient, methodical approach. I'll be doing a lot more research as well!

•••
In reference to end users, I recently purchased DuplexRobot.com because Google just released their new voice assistant known as "Duplex." Would this be considered an attractive domain to an end user because of the potential with Duplex?

•••
In reference to end users, I recently purchased DuplexRobot.com because Google just released their new voice assistant known as "Duplex." Would this be considered an attractive domain to an end user because of the potential with Duplex?
Too much speculation in this one. Try to aquire names that are ready to be sold to existing business/niche. You need to see clear purpose in domain name without explanation. Then you have built-in value.
My advice is also not to handreg a lot because you really need to have experience for that.

•••
Not being funny, but do you actually think these are good domains?

For example, who do you think is going to want flavwater?

•••
Not being funny, but do you actually think these are good domains?

For example, who do you think is going to want flavwater?

Flavored water is very popular. Flav = flavored. Thought it could be a decent branding name for a company in that industry. Could be a vending service. Could be a fountain drink dispenser service. Anything that has to do with water and flavoring. I didn't think it was that bad of a name. I see names all the time selling on BrandPa and BB that do not make sense, so I figured this had a keyword in it and "Flav" is fun, easy to say, easy to write. Seemed to make sense at the time.

•••
Too much speculation in this one. Try to aquire names that are ready to be sold to existing business/niche. You need to see clear purpose in domain name without explanation. Then you have built-in value.
My advice is also not to handreg a lot because you really need to have experience for that.

Thank you. I will be staying away from hand reg for awhile and researching instead.

•••
Flavored water is very popular. Flav = flavored. Thought it could be a decent branding name for a company in that industry. Could be a vending service. Could be a fountain drink dispenser service. Anything that has to do with water and flavoring. I didn't think it was that bad of a name. I see names all the time selling on BrandPa and BB that do not make sense, so I figured this had a keyword in it and "Flav" is fun, easy to say, easy to write. Seemed to make sense at the time.

You've got to remember that most domains on Brandbucket etc will never sell. As others have said, it's a numbers game. Part skill, patience part pure luck.

•••
You've got to remember that most domains on Brandbucket etc will never sell. As others have said, it's a numbers game. Part skill, patience part pure luck.
There's something that's just not right about the look and sound of FlavWater as well. It's kind of harsh with the V and W squished together... not pleasing to the ear or eye. And while we often like to pronounce it as "flave", the spelling of this brand forces us to say "flav" (with a hard "Aaa" sound), which isn't very appealing.

BB does have several of their own "flav" names, but you'll notice that they are all short, invented words with a pleasing sound: flavato, flavago, flavva. The added benefit of these names is that they aren't pigeon-holed for one specific product; they could be used for any range of businesses in the food industry.

So those are the types of things to consider when registering a brand name. Does it sound nice? Does it look nice? Is it versatile? Is it easy to pronounce and spell? Is it easy to tell what industry the name speaks to?

The Brandpa name in your signature is a perfect example. Nappler is short, catchy, easy to pronounce, and could apply nicely to anything in the sleep products industry, or even to a game or app.

•••
So if I understand correctly and you are the owner of Nappler, I like that a lot.

Many of the ones in the first section to me are either too general, or in more cases the name is really not bad, but I don't see many organizations or companies that would be willing to spend much to get it.

The brandables I think have potential, but that is such a challenging area to know what will sell and what will not. Of the ones you mention, VirifiLink appeals most to me, although Nappler is way stronger I think. But I really don't understand the brandable market enough to invest in it myself.

As has been mentioned, even on solid names the flow through of sales in any one year might be 1-3 %. While money is there to be made, anyone in this business needs to think carefully and spend carefully and minimize costs and maximize potential sales opportunities to have a chance to do more than break even.

Something that has not been addressed much in the many excellent replies is the side of promotion. What are you doing to try to sell them. i.e. listing multiple and appropriate places, using connections you may have, judiciously networking through events or social media, etc.

Don't feel you are alone. Many of us are also either not breaking even or just breaking even or just slightly positive. Some people who have been in this long term and have been successful have offered good advice already on the thread. Best of luck as you go forward, @Mitchell Hengesbach !

•••
Nice Welsh flag for your picture!

•••
There's something that's just not right about the look and sound of FlavWater as well. It's kind of harsh with the V and W squished together... not pleasing to the ear or eye. And while we often like to pronounce it as "flave", the spelling of this brand forces us to say "flav" (with a hard "Aaa" sound), which isn't very appealing.

BB does have several of their own "flav" names, but you'll notice that they are all short, invented words with a pleasing sound: flavato, flavago, flavva. The added benefit of these names is that they aren't pigeon-holed for one specific product; they could be used for any range of businesses in the food industry.

So those are the types of things to consider when registering a brand name. Does it sound nice? Does it look nice? Is it versatile? Is it easy to pronounce and spell? Is it easy to tell what industry the name speaks to?

The Brandpa name in your signature is a perfect example. Nappler is short, catchy, easy to pronounce, and could apply nicely to anything in the sleep products industry, or even to a game or app.

I completely agree with you. The flow (no pun intended) of FlavWater is not appealing. I really appreciate your insight and being so thorough with your response.

It's funny you mention Nappler because that was 2nd submission I ever did with BrandPa, and I've submitted 25 more since then with all being rejected. I don't expect it to move any time soon, but maybe one day. I'm just happy that I at least got one domain that is brandable.

Going off your advice, do you believe the domain name "BodCal" is appealing? Geared toward Health and Fitness, maybe a calorie counter app or other diet product. It appears to be easy to spell with known words/abbreviations, easy to say and sounds decently appealing. Short and catchy. What do you think? It looks like "bod" in NameBio has quite a few sales in the past few months as well.

Thanks in advance.

•••
I completely agree with you. The flow (no pun intended) of FlavWater is not appealing. I really appreciate your insight and being so thorough with your response.

It's funny you mention Nappler because that was 2nd submission I ever did with BrandPa, and I've submitted 25 more since then with all being rejected. I don't expect it to move any time soon, but maybe one day. I'm just happy that I at least got one domain that is brandable.

Going off your advice, do you believe the domain name "BodCal" is appealing? Geared toward Health and Fitness, maybe a calorie counter app or other diet product. It appears to be easy to spell with known words/abbreviations, easy to say and sounds decently appealing. Short and catchy. What do you think? It looks like "bod" in NameBio has quite a few sales in the past few months as well.

Thanks in advance.

Start buying names that are aged, have a history of similar sales and are taken in multiple tlds. The number of tlds taken is a good but not perfect indicator of "want".

Use instantdomainsearch.com to gain a visual understanding of why certain domains are more valuable than others.

As per BodCal....don't think of registering it...being successful selling brandable domain names requires a nuanced understanding of certain word structures and common endings. It's actually kind of complicated so I'd recommend learning the basics first before going head first into the brandables niche.

•••

Thanks in advance.

I'm not a big fan of BodCal... It's short, but doesn't sound great, and pairing pieces of two words together is hard to do well. It has to be really fluid, and should often be the first part of a word with the last part of another word (often an adjective), where both parts are recognizable. So something like Bodelicious or Bodtastic. I tried a lot of these early on when I was trying to get names on BrandBucket, but most of them bombed.

Those "bod" sales you're referring to are actually sales of "body" names, I believe. BodyStudio, BodyHero, etc. Short, two word names like these are often the more recommended type of brandable to target. They usually evoke a clearer and more potent meaning, and result in more consistent and higher priced sales (on average).

•••
Who are these domains intended for? Fortune 500 companies looking for 15+ letter domains?

•••
I think @Astner asks a good question that we often overlook, and that is relevant here and to most of the cases where we are discussing names on NPs. A name that might well be good or great for a small organization or local company might get no zero consideration for a Fortune 500 company or even an aggressive startup with grand plans. In evaluating names we should really ask ourselves what audience is intended, and the price asked should be appropriate to the intended market. If asking high $$ to mid $$$ some names that a Fortune 500 would never consider might be appealing to that small NGO with a low budget or a local 3 person trade or a consultant or blogger. Potential audience matters!

For example, in the OP list WageInflation.com is a perfect example. An economic blogger, writer, union research group, etc. might find it a really good name (it is descriptive, memorable, great extension), if it is offered at a suitable price point. About half of the names in the first list are similar to me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back