IT.COM

Alternative Revenue Ideas to Traditional Domain Parking

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
We've seen a lot of people write about changes with parking companies and their feed providers lately. Many domain owners have seen and written about the decrease in Revenue Per Click= RPC and wildly fluctuating RPC they get through parking companies.

The parking companies I've talked to don't deny paying lower Revenue Per Click but say there are many variables that effect the RPC. One told me straight up, at this time he can not pay the same RPC he once did.

Even with these decreases, Is there really a better alternative to earn revenue from our domain names than parking?

The alternatives I can think of are:

1. Pay Per Action on your blog or web page.

2. Adsense type ads on your blog or web page.

3. Affiliate ads on your blog or web page.

4. Then you have companies similar to DomainEmbarking which evolve landers/sites from keywords you enter.

With no web building experience, I'm quite limited to alternatives I can be successful at without involving another person for assistance.

What I've decided to do is start out by getting some blogs going, "See my sig below for examples" place some original content and adsense ads up, up-date and ad content regularly and find some nice affiliate ads.

Adsense for me so far is very stable with the RPC, not seeing much fluctuation at all over the last 5 days and averaging about $1.80 per click.

Share your experiences and Let's get some more ideas going on how to earn from our domains.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dave, can you tell us more about how your test is progressing?

Thank you.

•••
If you have good park acount you can count me

•••
Thank you for the reference to DomainEmbarking.com !
I am very happy that I found this program, it's amazing.

•••
dnberto said:
Dave, can you tell us more about how your test is progressing?
Thank you.

dnberto, 2million visitors and almost $250,000 later I'm proud to say... :D I wish that was true. Now for the real story

Slow :zzz: The Big Rodent Problem in my sig gets just a little traffic from Google. I started it on the 3rd of March and registered the name right around that time so it's been 3 weeks and it is now up to 30-40 visitors per day. I think if you enter something about the topic in google it should show near the top of the first page.

Due to the topic I'm pretty sure it's going to be limited to a low amount of natural traffic but it has continued to rise to this point and it looks like today (March 24, 2008) will be much higher. My stats haven't updated at TypePad but between 11:28-11:47 this morning it shows 14 visitors from Google so I'll be interested to see the final numbers. I'm also curious at what point will the traffic top out, not that I want it to of course and I hope it continues to grow for many months or even years :tu:

As far as revenue from the adsense it's very minimal at this point and the CTR is certainly no comparison to a good parking company but this could be to my lack of knowledge using Adsense.

I believe I said I would update the blog frequently but I had a friend tell me since people are leaving comments on the blog It's not as necessary because their comments will work as unique content but I should still write more occasionally.

Structured Settlement started on March 5, is only averaging 10-15 uniques per day at this point. Structured Settlement has a lot more competition and I think I hurt it even more by putting questions in the form of Links as the main theme on the home page. In addition I believe I would need to add a lot more informative content and pages for it to really do anything at all.

Dave C

Dutchleader said:
Thank you for the reference to DomainEmbarking.com !
I am very happy that I found this program, it's amazing.

Great!

Last edited:
•••
I am a relatively new domainer. DomainEmbarking.com looks interesting.
Most of my domains are parked right now, but the results have been dismal. I have tried redirecting some of my domains to Amazon's Associate page (which is pay per action) .... without much success. I think Ebay has a similar program too, so I might try that next.

•••
I'm developing.

Basically any name that has potential for content, I'm finding it only takes a few hours to develop a site. Some of them may be niche names, but over time it will all add up. Definitely not an instant strategy, but a long-term one.

•••
Blogging

ive got a couple of ideas for blogs. whats the easiest way to get one online? i need to be able to add adsense and affiliate ads to it as well as have a way for visitors to leave comments and sign up to mymailing list.

can this only be done through a custom job? or are there sites that can supply this already?

•••
I maintain four blogs. And I've made about $65 since January on the blogs. I have about 50 or so names right now. I've been flipping my bad ones on Ebay.

Anyways...I suggest using a program like hostgator for self developed sites. Write a few articles and update once a week.

So far my parking revenue on Fab and AA in March has been my best month yet. For my domains on Parked, the revenue has been down.

•••
As a continuation on my previous post - Chitika now offers domain parking - Link

•••
Add some original content on AA or Parked

I've been using Parked and AA for parking because I can add original content on those parked pages. Just look at DryRubSeasoning, ChickenGrilled or BounceAbility. All are dot coms.

Since I started adding original content my visits are up and so is my ppc. One of my domains parked at AA made $56 in March. Another at Parked made $21. Not bad for three word domains. The original content made the difference.

•••
Great Thread DN President!

Subscribed + Rep Added
Thank U for your Info!

Red Rock

•••
Thank you, Dave C.

Development certainly takes longer!

•••
Some ideas

Before you kill this off...

I've had some luck with some expired domains and building them out as blogs with affiliate ads (not big bucks but..). Also selling eBay items on a expired domain can work if the domain is niche.

Note that if you build up the domains try to do some research on the "long tail" of keywords. Don't just develop your site with the keywords "free magazines" try to develop the keywords "free sports and fitness magazines" (one example).

•••
Thank you DN President.

Thanks for sharing. I think I will do better with this. Reps added.

Sundari.

•••
Any affiliates that'll work well with non US and non EU traffic is greatly appreciated...

So far only adsense paid well for those countries. I can only wonder how in the earth an adsense advertiser can pay 8 cents per click and still make money...

Anyway, anything that'll convert traffics to non US and non EU is appreciated...

•••
Depends on the website. Digital products work OK with non-US and non-Euro traffic

•••
pdga2007 said:
... Anyways...I suggest using a program like hostgator for self developed sites. Write a few articles and update once a week....

What do you mean a program like HostGator? I thought they were a hosting company? What program of theirs are you referring to?

•••
I am trying out DomainParking.co.uk at this time, anyone tried them and can you tell the pros and cons of their system?

•••
i also offer my own services and products like herbal soap i can buy locally and sell them (just 5 to 10 pieces at a time) to other countries, and also do affiliate programs.

•••
Hi all, for affiliates, some of the best money i have made is with www.shoppingads.com (auctionads.com)

US$35 for a single click and the first payment for any affiliate program i have been with.

Adsense took me 6 months to get my first cheque (paypal) then its $100 every 2 months or so.

i think i have tried all but one or 2 parking programs. sedo works for me with the majority of domains i own. but im still looking of course.

the best (for me) is...Selling a service, or something your truly good.
I make over $300 for about 30 min work, just doing my niche. and doing it well.

I know it isnt much to go on, but you can do it! we are all doing it right now!

Phillip

•••
There are solutions around that pays much more than Sedo.
Have you got interesting domain portfolios?
PM me or post here, I might be able to put you in touch with a direct Tier1 access monetizing more than 12 countries including US, CA, EU, Asia.

We have been doing SEM and SEO with direct access to Tier1 networks for quite a long time now.
We have a killer PPC feed access for domain parkers, with avarage monetization 10 times more than SEDO or other standard feeds.
PM me if you have interesting traffic and are not completely satisfied with your actual monetization.
We can offer:
Top Revenue Share(% on final advertisers gross, not syndicator gross...)
Search Engine Optimized Templates
Customizable html title, html description, and page title of templates
Customizable images for templates
Auto-optimizable and manually customizable keywords/urls for advertisements!
and much much more...

•••
mcuk said:
There are solutions around that pays much more than Sedo.
Have you got interesting domain portfolios?
PM me or post here, I might be able to put you in touch with a direct Tier1 access monetizing more than 12 countries including US, CA, EU, Asia.

We have been doing SEM and SEO with direct access to Tier1 networks for quite a long time now.
We have a killer PPC feed access for domain parkers, with avarage monetization 10 times more than SEDO or other standard feeds.
PM me if you have interesting traffic and are not completely satisfied with your actual monetization.
We can offer:
Top Revenue Share(% on final advertisers gross, not syndicator gross...)
Search Engine Optimized Templates
Customizable html title, html description, and page title of templates
Customizable images for templates
Auto-optimizable and manually customizable keywords/urls for advertisements!
and much much more...

If you pay 10x what sedo pays can you give us some more details I think you
will have many intersted parties here

•••
Nice ideas. I think one of the best ways is to hire people to write original content and make a minisite, with adsense on it.

•••
HI,
Am confused that why I can not get an account at AA ?

Miserable!

pdga2007 said:
I've been using Parked and AA for parking because I can add original content on those parked pages. Just look at DryRubSeasoning, ChickenGrilled or BounceAbility. All are dot coms.

Since I started adding original content my visits are up and so is my ppc. One of my domains parked at AA made $56 in March. Another at Parked made $21. Not bad for three word domains. The original content made the difference.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back