NameSilo

ALPNAMES.COM - WARNING! WILL DELETE YOUR DOMAINS & HIKE PRICES WITHOUT NOTICE.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
As someone who has experience with almost every major registrar out there, I am very unhappy with my AlpNames.com experience. Here's why:

1. They raised their .COM renewal fees from $8.75 to $15.00 with NO warning, NO email, NO reminder or alert. A few days prior I renewed a few domains at $8.75, a couple days later I add expired domains to my cart to renew, they're all set at $15.00 each. Dozens of them.

2. They will DELETE DOMAINS from your account OR CHARGE YOU a $60 Recovery fee, a DAY BEFORE the deadline date they specified in their emails when the domain expired! For example: "You must renew domain before the 3rd or it may be unable to recover!" , Ok fine, then on the 2nd, not the 3rd, they're all deleted or a 60 recovery fee is slapped on them. And I checked time-zones, that had nothing to do with it, they were clear in all time-zones!

3. Slow responses for support. I've contacted their support regarding the price hike, then about the domains being deleted before their due time, going on 4 days still waiting for response on time-sensitive/urgent issue.

4. Lastly, Visa doesn't seem to like this company as they're always blocking payment to them. I had to call my bank several times.

I was introduced to AlpNames because of the transfer promo a couple years ago, without issues which is why I didn't transfer out, $8.75 was reasonable so I paid back the savings to them AND THEM some, renewed my domains (HUNDREDS) for 2+ years with them AFTER promo and was going to again, NOT NOW.

If you have names with AlpNames, again, they hiked .com renewals up from $8.75 to $15.00, so if you have dozens or hundreds of domains to renew and you're not looking for an unpleasant surprise during renewal time, here's your fair warning which they won't give. And they lock your domains so you can't transfer out after expiry date and they may just delete your domains or put them in grace period early. Enjoy.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you want to send me the domain in a direct message I can try to help you locate it.

•••
This is happening to me right now,they give no option to pay all gateways are closed,I will be losing some good domains ,if icann or verisign don't step in then this whole industry it f------ bullshit

•••
Their current website access problem is apparently related to a security certificate.

Re date I suspect the issue the OP had re date was that they go by their time zone not yours.

I have used customer support several times without issue.

I have transferred out without issue or cost.

It is surprising that they are not competitive in .com pricing but they are not alone in that.

To answer your question @alcy I don't think they do have autorenew or maybe I have it somehow always off. I have had many expire and it just happens after reminders they are expiring.

When transferring out there is no automatic way to approve and eliminate 5 day wait, but when I contacted customer service they approved it.

Bob

•••
If someone needs to login to your account, I find this address.
apal516804.myorderbox.com
Thanks!
This works for webaccess, I just logged into my Reseller account...
If your role is Customer - select Customer to log in from this address.

Last edited:
•••
And I can confirm that Payment gateways are disabled for their Resellers as well...

So log in via https://apal516804.myorderbox.com and transfer your domains (if no plans to drop them)...

•••
Dear Sirs, your information here was useful.

Unfortunately I have domains on Alpnames and some are expiring this month: they send me daily emails urging a renew... but login is impossible even via myorderbox, because two months ago I have activated the so-called 2-step phone verification ...and now (commencing a week ago) they no more send the code.

Of course.

•••
...but login is impossible even via myorderbox, because two months ago I have activated the so-called 2-step phone verification ...and now (commencing a week ago) they no more send the code.
Well, here's one lesson and reason not to activate 2FA (n)

Makes you wish more registrars offered the very simple, but effective alternative security measure of limiting access to the control panel from predefined IP's...

Last edited:
•••
I can answer for #2

I transferred a .asia domain out just today.

It didn't require an approval from Alpnames side.

I just received an email from the acquiring registrar (NameSilo) and one (automated) email from Alpnames saying the domain was transferring out with a link in it to cancel the transfer. That's it

Just need to wait 5 day as there's no way to expedite the transfer out.

If I were you I would transfer the domain names out of Alpnames

•••
...I think we better act quick to transfer out our names where we want.. while we can.. cause what if situation arises where icann forces gaining registrar to be somehting where transfer .com or other tld rates are much higher than averages?
Relax, no need to panic, you will not be charged for the current year, which you had paid for at AlpNames. You can transfer your names out at your convenience (before the current reg year runs out, that is). The gaining registrar has to agree to this and may even sweeten the pot and offer "refugees" a special promo to keep the domains with them :xf.wink:
...Epik has offered to take action and migrate through the weekend if selected.
Good job positioning Epik for this (y)

Last edited:
•••
LOS ANGELES – 15 March 2019 – The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers ("ICANN") today announced it has terminated the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) with registrar Alpnames Limited (IANA #1857), effective immediately.

The RAA was terminated after the ICANN organization determined that Alpnames was no longer performing required registrar functions as specified in the agreement. These functions include allowing existing registrants to renew domain name registrations and processing new registrations.

ICANN org has invoked the De-Accredited Registrar Transition Procedure (DARTP) to enable the successful transition of the names to an ICANN-accredited registrar and protect registrants. Once the gaining registrar is identified and confirmed, it will be listed on the Bulk Transfers page.

The time required to complete the transfer process varies by the number of registrations with the terminated registrar. ICANN org will work to facilitate the transfer of registrations to the gaining registrar as expeditiously as possible. Once the transfer of registrations has been completed, the new registrar will contact registrants with information on how to access and maintain their domain name registrations.

All domain name registrants are encouraged to visit this page for important information about managing their domain names.

About ICANN
ICANN's mission is to help ensure a stable, secure, and unified global Internet. To reach another person on the Internet, you need to type an address – a name or a number – into your computer or other device. That address must be unique so computers know where to find each other. ICANN helps coordinate and support these unique identifiers across the world. ICANN was formed in 1998 as a not-for-profit public-benefit corporation with a community of participants from all over the world.

•••
•••
Correction...
Just rechecked https://www.directi.com/about-us.html
Jan'2014 - Sold 4 business units (BigRock, Logicboxes, Webhosting.info, ResellerClub) to Endurance International Group.

•••
Chronology:
  • Date of Notice 7-Mar-2019 Deadline for Response 14-Mar-2019 ICANN sent 1st compliance notice via email to ir/@/alpnames.com. No response received from Registrar
  • Date of Notice 9-Mar-2019 Deadline for Response 14-Mar-2019 Based on the risk to registrants from Registrar no longer providing Registrar Services, ICANN advanced 1st notice to Escalated Notice, sent via email to ir/@/alpanmes.com. No response received from Registrar.
  • Date of Notice 9-Mar-2019 Deadline for Response N/A ICANN sent Escalated Notice via fax +35021628886. Fax unsuccessful.
  • Date of Notice 11-Mar-2019 Deadline for Response N/A ICANN called Primary Contact at +442038906840 and left voicemail with complaint details. ICANN called Registrar Representative at [NUMBER REDACTED] and +35021628886. No ability to speak with Registrar Representative or to leave a message.
  • Date of Notice 15-Mar-2019 Deadline for Response N/A To date, the Registrar has not responded to ICANN with the requested information and documentation and the issue remains unresolved.

•••
I believe PDR (public domain registry) used to be the controlling entity of Alpnames, till about a year and a half ago Alpnames broke away and get their own IANA ID.

You would have seen on a whois check on one of your names from Alpnames, under the registrar info, "public domains registry" rather than "alpnames" and with a different IANA id, back then.

That is the answer! I had only one that is in the last half of a 2 year registration, and sure enough when i checked now it does show them as a registrar.

Sponsoring Registrar: PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 303​

Thanks!

Bob

•••
I hope you do some name or email matching... for people who already had accnts on moniker?

if so, will the transfr hapen for those any quicker? since you do not need to make accnts.

ty

It won't happen any quicker, because the slow part is arranging with the registries to shift the names from Alpnames to us. If you have an account with Moniker already send us an email with your Moniker Account Number and the domains that are going to move over from Alpnames so that we can match them and put them in your account.

•••
PDR/Endurance (ResellerClub) is absolutely another story and the same LogicBoxes platform (their own).
They just moved the domains under their accreditation from their former reseller AlpNames.

Still no any moves by Moniker/KS regarding the domains under AlpNames accreditation.
Too hard task for them... ~1 week elapsed.

Just to respond to this. We have actually already moved 16 TLDs and notified customers with those TLDs that the domains are available in their accounts. More will become available today and we will continue to notify customers as and when the domains are transferred into our management by the Registry. It may look like slow progress on our end but we are reliant on each gTLD registry to move the domains from Alpnames into our Registrar accounts before we can give the ability to manage them through Moniker.com.

This process was mentioned in our notice sent to all Alpnames customers after we were informed we would become the new registrar, please keep an eye out for emails from us with details on the procedures.

The domains will be come available at Moniker.com within hours of the Registry moving them and an email will be sent to affected customers after each TLD move.

Last edited:
•••
how is the transfer of .top doing?

•••
that actually was not my question

I am talking about alpnames

What I am saying is that although ICANN have awarded the Alpnames names to Moniker, the Registry has to co-ordinate the bulk transfer of those names over to us and they will not do so at present. That is what we are attempting to negotiate on. @Bob Hawkes We are in the same situation with .GDN unfortunately.

I can't say when these will be available.

•••
I am going to lose the domains
because moniker can't agree on a price????

I 'm willing to pay the renewal price
my domains rae top notch

I appreciate it is not the best situation for you, but we are working hard to try to solve it. Every solution we have put to the Registry has been rejected so far, they are showing very little care for your situation from their end.

•••
Yesterday I have contacted Moniker via Form on their website - and very quickly received the necessary details to log in... and I see my .TOPs there...

p.s. Don't forget to disable Autorenewal.

thank you Jurgen,
for reminding me.

its finally done

vneck.top
and
bustier.top

are back home ;)

( I wouldn't have let them drop .. )

Email: [email protected]

But actually, I needed an ICANN complaint
to prove that they were at moniker for several weeks already

•••
Hi Frank, I can assure you that domains were only moved this week. We have an automated system that as soon as the domains were imported into our DB the notices went out.

I appreciate you might feel that Moniker has caused delay here, but as soon as we got our hands on the domains we worked to make them available, the delay was in the negotiations with the Registry to agree to move them over to us.

•••
Glad I never used 'em. Hope you get it sorted out.

•••
As someone who has experience with almost every major registrar out there, I am very unhappy with my AlpNames.com experience. Here's why:

1. They raised their .COM renewal fees from $8.75 to $15.00 with NO warning, NO email, NO reminder or alert. A few days prior I renewed a few domains at $8.75, a couple days later I add expired domains to my cart to renew, they're all set at $15.00 each. Dozens of them.

2. They will DELETE DOMAINS from your account OR CHARGE YOU a $60 Recovery fee, a DAY BEFORE the deadline date they specified in their emails when the domain expired! For example: "You must renew domain before the 3rd or it may be unable to recover!" , Ok fine, then on the 2nd, not the 3rd, they're all deleted or a 60 recovery fee is slapped on them. And I checked time-zones, that had nothing to do with it, they were clear in all time-zones!

3. Slow responses for support. I've contacted their support regarding the price hike, then about the domains being deleted before their due time, going on 4 days still waiting for response on time-sensitive/urgent issue.

4. Lastly, Visa doesn't seem to like this company as they're always blocking payment to them. I had to call my bank several times.

I was introduced to AlpNames because of the transfer promo a couple years ago, without issues which is why I didn't transfer out, $8.75 was reasonable so I paid back the savings to them AND THEM some, renewed my domains (HUNDREDS) for 2+ years with them AFTER promo and was going to again, NOT NOW.

If you have names with AlpNames, again, they hiked .com renewals up from $8.75 to $15.00, so if you have dozens or hundreds of domains to renew and you're not looking for an unpleasant surprise during renewal time, here's your fair warning which they won't give. And they lock your domains so you can't transfer out after expiry date and they may just delete your domains or put them in grace period early. Enjoy.

ok I just checked.. I have like 40 names left.. most will drop.

that being said... couldn't find auto renew... do they have it? how to remove it in bulk?
I checked their support help db... and it talks about some toggle on off once you clicked on name.... but I don't see it.. hmmmmm weird..

and yes, like u say they did jackup price to $15. which sucks.

however, upto few months ago.. I was able to transfer out tens of .com after expiry.. like up to day -30... and no extra fee... unless this too they changed recently if thats what you mean.

thanks!

•••
If someone needs to login to your account, I find this address.
apal516804.myorderbox.com

•••
I wanted to stress that I am not defending (other than stating my personal experience) or promoting Alpnames or any other registrar (I use 10 different registrars personally). It is just headings like this bother me. I think it is important to let people know about price increases and services down, but the OP title is very sensationalistic.

We should be concerned when registrars are down, for any reason, and I am glad that the ever helpful @Rob Monster has kindly offered to see if he can contact the CEO of Alp at the ICANN meeting. But we should not jump to conclusions.

Re price increase on renewal, I was somewhat surprised when I checked just now to note that 23 out of 43 registrars covered by TLD-LIst now show .com renewal at $15 or more, including some names we know and use a lot. I am not sure if renewals have edged up, or if that was always the situation. Anyway just stating that a $15 renewal while higher than in past at that registrar seems in about the middle of the pack.

I also agree with the person who posted that it is always best to decide and renew well in advance.

But my main point is throughout NPs to urge us to be less sensationalistic in thread titles and statements. Just my mission....

Thanks for reading,

Bob

agreed
sensationalism = trolling
there is no need or point to it unless there is 100% proof for it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back