Domain Empire

question Afternic Strategies

NameSilo
Watch

NameWell

Established Member
Impact
I would like to know if there are any other Afternic strategies besides pricing and of course, carefully choosing which domains to sell. For example, when you list a domain name on a brandable marketplace like Squadhelp or Alter you get to choose relevant categories to write a keyword-rich description that can help potential buyers find those domain names and there are some additional options like boosting and submitting domain names to naming contests. I was wondering if there is anything like that on Afternic? Can we do something to help potential buyers find our domain names?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can we do something to help potential buyers find our domain names?

I don't use any of the 'services' that give a chance for my buyer to look for other names. I simply have potential buyers land on my name with a BIN and/or make offer. All my names point to Epik landers or Afternic landers. If the BIN is reasonable, both work well. As far as 'broker' assistance, Epik has been hands above Afternic as far as service goes in my experience. I hope Afternic will engage more in the future.

•••
I don't use any of the 'services' that give a chance for my buyer to look for other names. I simply have potential buyers land on my name with a BIN and/or make offer. All my names point to Epik landers or Afternic landers. If the BIN is reasonable, both work well. As far as 'broker' assistance, Epik has been hands above Afternic as far as service goes in my experience. I hope Afternic will engage more in the future.

Thank you for sharing! Do you proactively take any actions to get more traffic to your landers or do you rely mostly on organic type-in traffic?

•••
price your names
make sure fast transfer enabled
point to afternic
and wait

•••
Do you proactively take any actions to get more traffic to your landers or do you rely mostly on organic type-in traffic?

I've tried lots of things in the past, but none seemed to help any if at all. With epik you can put in title, tagline, seo, etc. that can help the engines spot it. Every little bit helps but complete type in is still needed for them to be spotted in a search

•••
price your names
make sure fast transfer enabled
point to afternic
and wait

The majority of my domain names listed at Afternic are pointed to Alter or Squadhelp WLM. Can that be an issue? Does Afternic prioritize domain names that are pointed to it?

•••
The majority of my domain names listed at Afternic are pointed to Alter or Squadhelp WLM. Can that be an issue? Does Afternic prioritize domain names that are pointed to it?

From my experience, it doesn't prioritize by that. However you might get extra Afternic sales due to lander visits, obviously.

But you don't need to point to Afternic if you don't want to, just for this reason.

Most of their sales come via the partner network and as far as I can tell, having landers there did not change that priority.

Edit: I have a theory, still unproven, but anyway my domains priced to clear at lower than $199 seem to not sell anymore. That could be an issue (separate one though).

I used to sell lots of these, now I sell zero if I price too low. So it would make sense. More data required though. If you have very cheap domains, this might be an issue.

Last edited:
•••
Does Afternic prioritize domain names that are pointed to it?

Doubt it

My good guess is that most sales to AN (now owned by GD) happen when someone makes a search on GD. You want to be in those results.

Other people just type the name in. If they reach afternic there is a sales cycle that starts. Afternic rep might follow up again and again and these things can help.

Most platforms are built with the assumption that everyone that wants a domain buys it with no need to capture the lead and follow up. Obviously, nobody in sales will ever agree to this, but this is how things are in this business (unique).

Sometimes sellers don't know how long the sales talks have been going on with afternic. They could've been talking to the buyer for months before you got that sales notice.

The domain industry throws away millions of good leads a year.

•••
Keep deleting and re-listing ..they will show up on “new listings”

•••
Keep deleting and re-listing ..they will show up on “new listings”

Interesting. But as far as I understand only other domainers are browsing those new listings? Not end users?

•••
Interesting. But as far as I understand only other domainers are browsing those new listings? Not end users?
Yeah ..strategy is not too efficient

•••
From my experience, it doesn't prioritize by that. However you might get extra Afternic sales due to lander visits, obviously.

But you don't need to point to Afternic if you don't want to, just for this reason.

Most of their sales come via the partner network and as far as I can tell, having landers there did not change that priority.

Edit: I have a theory, still unproven, but anyway my domains priced to clear at lower than $199 seem to not sell anymore. That could be an issue (separate one though).

I used to sell lots of these, now I sell zero if I price too low. So it would make sense. More data required though. If you have very cheap domains, this might be an issue.
Since how long do you see that for domains listedat lee than 199 ?

•••
I have a theory, still unproven, but anyway my domains priced to clear at lower than $199 seem to not sell anymore. That could be an issue (separate one though).

It appears that not all afternic partners bother to list cheap domains from afternic channel. Must be this. Indeed, since the space (search results) is limited, it would be more or less logical for the selling registrars to filter out some domains. Cheap afternic domains are still searchable and can be purchased via GoDaddy though.

I found this after changing prices (to $88 or $99 and the like) on domains I elected not to renew. With the original pricing, they were all promptly shown on all registrars and other platforms from afternic partners list I could think of. After the price change, the domains disappeared in some (but not all) search results, including "exact match" searches...

Last edited:
•••
It appears that not all afternic partners bother to list cheap domains from afternic channel. Must be this. Indeed, since the space (search results) is limited, it would be more or less logical for the selling registrars to filter out some domains. Cheap afternic domains are still searchable and can be purchased via GoDaddy though.

I found this after changing prices (to $88 or $99 and the like) on domains I elected not to renew. With the original pricing, they were all promptly shown on all registrars and other platforms from afternic partners list I could think of. After the price change, the domains disappeared in some (but not all) search results, including "exact match" searches...

Thanks for confirming this. Hmm, exactly as I expected.

•••
•••

I think your observation on pricing is correct. I did some experiments, too. If the price is too low, especially below 300, the likelihood of selling it would be relatively low. This may be due to the reason why people think that if we price something cheaper, it would be an inferior good, even if it is superior. There is an economic rationale for this!

•••
I think your observation on pricing is correct. I did some experiments, too. If the price is too low, especially below 300, the likelihood of selling it would be relatively low. This may be due to the reason why people think that if we price something cheaper, it would be an inferior good, even if it is superior. There is an economic rationale for this!
Just checked on most known afternic partners and all of them list my domain at 280

•••
Just checked on most known afternic partners and all of them list my domain at 280

$280 -300 range is still listed, cause it works for me.

However pricing under $100 is definitely not working.

Unsure about $199 though, here I think some still list the domain while others not. Cause I'm still getting some sales but not as much as before.

•••
$280 -300 range is still listed, cause it works for me.

However pricing under $100 is definitely not working.

Unsure about $199 though, here I think some still list the domain while others not. Cause I'm still getting some sales but not as much as before.
Could you please share, what is the price range/average for most domain names that you have sold on different platforms? I mean low-priced domain names and the type of TLD.

•••
For 2-3 weeks I have a bad ratio for sales made through afternic.

•••
For 2-3 weeks I have a bad ratio for sales made through afternic.

That's nothing meaningful.

I had 2 months of bad sales ratio and it meant nothing except fluctuation.

•••
That's nothing meaningful.

I had 2 months of bad sales ratio and it meant nothing except fluctuation.
For me tha mean something as i sell a lot by different ways... I can see that the ratio of sales through afternic has never been such low as these weeks in comparison of other sales venues.

•••
Thinking about afternic sales trends etc. in my case I can hardly remember last time the sold domain landed at Chinese registrar. A few CN-based registrars, including large ones, are listed as Afternic partners.
I think there were such sales last year, but nothing in 2021. I do not have any specific China-oriented domains in the portfolio though (or, at least, nothing statistically significant).

•••
For me tha mean something as i sell a lot by different ways... I can see that the ratio of sales through afternic has never been such low as these weeks in comparison of other sales venues.

You're forgetting that it's summer and everyone has this.

Including myself.

•••
You're forgetting that it's summer and everyone has this.

Including myself.
I can compare venues, even in summer

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back