IT.COM

question Afternic Strategies

NameSilo
Watch

NameWell

Established Member
Impact
I would like to know if there are any other Afternic strategies besides pricing and of course, carefully choosing which domains to sell. For example, when you list a domain name on a brandable marketplace like Squadhelp or Alter you get to choose relevant categories to write a keyword-rich description that can help potential buyers find those domain names and there are some additional options like boosting and submitting domain names to naming contests. I was wondering if there is anything like that on Afternic? Can we do something to help potential buyers find our domain names?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's a waiting game with marketplace listings and domain sale landers, unless you're willing to spend a lot of time doing outbound to potential end users which is usually quite pointless.
There is Afternic's premium network promotion which can further increase the exposure of the domain, but the domain's pricing and tech details need to fit certain criteria, you can find more about it from search.

Also, there are services in some domain marketplaces that allow to purchase featured homepage/category listings so more buyers would notice the domain, like there is in Sedo.

Last edited:
•••
I would like to know if there are any other Afternic strategies besides pricing and of course, carefully choosing which domains to sell. For example, when you list a domain name on a brandable marketplace like Squadhelp or Alter you get to choose relevant categories to write a keyword-rich description that can help potential buyers find those domain names and there are some additional options like boosting and submitting domain names to naming contests. I was wondering if there is anything like that on Afternic? Can we do something to help potential buyers find our domain names?

I think the strategy to do with Afternic itself is limited. I don't think many people use categories to find domains, they generally just keyword search.

Afternic/GoDaddy has about a 50% market share. I don't think there is any scenario where a "brandable" domain marketplace is going to outperform them on any domain format.

The macro strategy when it comes to sales is really just to own quality domains at reasonable prices. With enough domains, over time the law of averages results in passive sales.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
This year. Since January.

Have you found that any one particular BIN lander out performs others on Afternic this year?

•••
In domain name Selling, usual, traditional sales tactics will not work at all. You cannot fool the domain buyer, he buys only after due diligence.

•••
Expanding on what @Sheogorath said, there is evidently an important strategy that can be taken: Getting your domains on the Afternic's Premium Network - which exposes your domains to "75 million monthly search queries from the largest domain reseller network in the world" compared with "35 million" in the Standard Network.
Here are more details from their FAQ page: "Premium Network vs. Standard Network
Domain names are seen by 35 million searches by prospective buyers each month through the Standard Network. They also receive dedicated sales support, and use our transaction service to transfer from seller to buyer.
The Premium Network differs from the Standard Network two important ways. First, the resellers promote the domain name with their buy now price for immediate purchase, without counteroffers from the seller or bidding at auction. Second, fast-transfer domains are transferred to the buyer immediately.
Making your domain a fast-transfer domain gives you the highest level of exposure--75 million searches by prospective buyers each month at the highest average sales prices. Fast-transfer domains must have a buy now price and be registered through GoDaddy, DynaDot, DomainDiscover, TierraNet, Network Solutions, Register.com, Register.com Global Partnership Group, eNom, eNomCentral, BulkRegister, Name.com, Hover, EuroDNS, DomainMonster.com, 123 Reg, DomainBox, Heart Internet, Regtons, MyDomain, Domain.com, Dotster, Namesilo, Hexonet, NamePal, Epik, Rebel.com, or Internet.bs."

This is a pretty significant difference - if your domain is registered at one of these registrars, then after you list them on Afternic with BIN (and follow the emails from your registrar to enable fast transfer) you get a much bigger exposure. So, other than hoping that someone will type your domain in the URL bar, or doing outbound marketing, or making time-consuming sales-posts on NP and elsewhere, a good action to take is to get your domains listed on as many registrars as possible.
I for example, after reading that, made adjustments and actually moved some of my domains from a registrar that is not on that list to registrars that are. The Afternic system isn't perfect (and GD even terminated fast transfers with one of the listed registrars that are listed there due to politics), but it's still a powerful tool. I'm also in the process of adding mine to Sedo (keeping the DNS pointing to DAN landings presently) as they claim to have an even larger network of registrar (600+. Input on that from someone would be great).
Once one's good domains show up in many registrars, with a clear BIN (of over $200 according the the previous commenters here, but not overpriced), it's just a matter of waiting-time until you wake up in the morning to a nice "someone bought your domain" email :)

•••
Expanding on what @Sheogorath said, there is evidently an important strategy that can be taken: Getting your domains on the Afternic's Premium Network - which exposes your domains to "75 million monthly search queries from the largest domain reseller network in the world" compared with "35 million" in the Standard Network.
Here are more details from their FAQ page: "Premium Network vs. Standard Network
Domain names are seen by 35 million searches by prospective buyers each month through the Standard Network. They also receive dedicated sales support, and use our transaction service to transfer from seller to buyer.
The Premium Network differs from the Standard Network two important ways. First, the resellers promote the domain name with their buy now price for immediate purchase, without counteroffers from the seller or bidding at auction. Second, fast-transfer domains are transferred to the buyer immediately.
Making your domain a fast-transfer domain gives you the highest level of exposure--75 million searches by prospective buyers each month at the highest average sales prices. Fast-transfer domains must have a buy now price and be registered through GoDaddy, DynaDot, DomainDiscover, TierraNet, Network Solutions, Register.com, Register.com Global Partnership Group, eNom, eNomCentral, BulkRegister, Name.com, Hover, EuroDNS, DomainMonster.com, 123 Reg, DomainBox, Heart Internet, Regtons, MyDomain, Domain.com, Dotster, Namesilo, Hexonet, NamePal, Epik, Rebel.com, or Internet.bs."

This is a pretty significant difference - if your domain is registered at one of these registrars, then after you list them on Afternic with BIN (and follow the emails from your registrar to enable fast transfer) you get a much bigger exposure. So, other than hoping that someone will type your domain in the URL bar, or doing outbound marketing, or making time-consuming sales-posts on NP and elsewhere, a good action to take is to get your domains listed on as many registrars as possible.
I for example, after reading that, made adjustments and actually moved some of my domains from a registrar that is not on that list to registrars that are. The Afternic system isn't perfect (and GD even terminated fast transfers with one of the listed registrars that are listed there due to politics), but it's still a powerful tool. I'm also in the process of adding mine to Sedo (keeping the DNS pointing to DAN landings presently) as they claim to have an even larger network of registrar (600+. Input on that from someone would be great).
Once one's good domains show up in many registrars, with a clear BIN (of over $200 according the the previous commenters here, but not overpriced), it's just a matter of waiting-time until you wake up in the morning to a nice "someone bought your domain" email :)
Sedo having larger network than Afternic? I don't think so

•••
According to their website - https://sedo.com/us/sell-domains/promotion-options/
"SedoMLS – the ultimate sales boost for your domains | More than 650 international partners for maximum exposure – sales completed up to three-times faster for quicker payouts – and automated transfer"

It does not have to come instead of Afternic, as far as I understand, and my domains are now listed on both networks, hoping the results will be good.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back