Dynadot

Afternic launches the lead center beta

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TangoTango

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have noticed that when I try to access the lead centre from my phone, I get this.
Messages are invisible.
Is it something that has to do with my phone or the mobile version of Afternic?
There is a way around this for now. If you turn your phone to landscape when on the lead center page refresh the page and then you'll see the leads appear. You can then turn your phone back to how you first had it and the leads will still show.

•••
That is the pattern. Export the leads and you'll have the timestamps.

I have raised the issue with my rep and will see what he says. There must be some explanation. What was the other broker you mentioned was also auto-stalling? I can check that too.

•••
I just checked my AF account, and I have 3 leads assigned to Taylor B. They are all "Stalled", and at all of them is written:

"Low quality lead score based on data endpoints - automation only until engagement from inquirer"

After I questioned it and received a bot like message, all of mine were changed to this as well. The other "bot rep" appears to be out of service.

Taylor B must be a bot! I managed to message Taylor B and got a response from Seth.

I was thinking the same thing. Bots created to kill leads.

Why would anyone do such a thing? To fuel expiry auction inventory.

•••
Correct, I told him that if he did not have interst to follow the buyer, please let him forward the lead to other brokers.

I've done this in the past. I said, "If you're NOT going to work the lead, give it to someone who will."

Edit: It seems I left out the most important word. (NOT)
Now it makes sense.

Last edited:
•••
One positive thing is the initial buyer offer is displayed so you don't have to call and find out what it is. Broker response and enthusiasm to questions is generally underwhelming though. Makes me question if they make anything from the commission.

•••
•••
Only on Uni Market sellers can negotiate on their own leads with the smallest fee.
So, on DAN, buyers and sellers can directly do their own negotiation, and have direct contact with the seller. That was a nice feature of their marketplace. The final price negotiated was clearly the actual sale price. The transparency was refreshing.

On UNI, how was the negotiation process different?

Last edited:
•••
If you are the type that always feels a broker is not doing enough, you should try a lander that only has your info.
The simple fact was that i had not hired a broker. I also was not aware on Afternic that when the BIN, floor price, an minimum price were all the same, that brokers still get involved with sales.

Why bother asking sellers to place a "floor" price, if brokers are going to be involved regardless?

To me, it would have been helpful to announce this brokerage feature before implementing it late last year.

You are also the type that is probably paranoid that when you get an email that your name sold for 3k that maybe you priced it 7k but someone secretly edited the price
No, I've not had that concern, since I keep track of the pricing. But, if it's something that I should be worried about, please let me know.

•••
I see two leads from the end of February that stalled a few days ago. Does this feature show only recent leads? If we could see any activity over the last 1-2 years, that would be very helpful.
Those offers are all $0 right?

•••
•••
•••
I have two ''stalled'' leads, which probably means 'case closed' at the moment due to a second low ball offer or due to 'no offer yet' in my case.

Last edited:
•••
I have noticed that when I try to access the lead centre from my phone, I get this.
Messages are invisible.
Is it something that has to do with my phone or the mobile version of Afternic?
Afternic says that the mobile UX has responsive design, but you're right @phaethon, this is not true for the new Lead Center.

Screenshot_20230315_152251_Chrome.jpg

•••
I think everyone needs need to take a closer look at their stalled leads.

I have what appear to be 30 auto-stalled leads between 2 brokers over the past month.

By auto-stalled, I mean of 30 of the 120+ recent leads that came in were automatically closed as either "attempting to qualify buyer" or "Confused and not interested in purchasing a domain."

The timestamps tell the story.

This was a massive red flag for me.

Not to mention, there were also over a dozen leads closed as "confused." (They didn't even have brokers assigned to them.)

Needless to say, I'm no longer parking with Afternic and if this keeps up I'll wash my hands of them once and for all.
Any positive results with all the other leads?

Last edited:
•••
I think everyone needs need to take a closer look at their stalled leads.

I have what appear to be 30 auto-stalled leads between 2 brokers over the past month.

By auto-stalled, I mean of 30 of the 120+ recent leads that came in were automatically closed as either "attempting to qualify buyer" or "Confused and not interested in purchasing a domain."

The timestamps tell the story.

This was a massive red flag for me.

Not to mention, there were also over a dozen leads closed as "confused." (They didn't even have brokers assigned to them.)

Needless to say, I'm no longer parking with Afternic and if this keeps up I'll wash my hands of them once and for all.
I think this new feature needs a year at least for testing, but it's better than nothing. Even seeing some traction and getting feedback, could be helpful, especially if you price your domains high like myself and others.
The average buyer does not even know about the aftermarket, it's a shock when they realize that the great domain they chose for their business website does not cost $10, but $5.000. They might even think its a scam and that's where GoDaddy brand helps a great deal.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Thank you. When everything is working as it should, the sales flow.

Changed over to DAN and as far as I can tell, it was a new lead.
Great to hear that that worked. Now, the question would be that if you switched back to AN nameservers, would the same phenomenon occur?

Another question is whether doing the switches causes issues with the Afternic lead center? Since they are NS changes only, presumably not. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has tried this, and what successes they had.

Thanks, as always, for sharing your experiences.

•••
I don't know how close they work with Dan, but I suggested to an agent that the buyer could pay with his best offer the first installment on a 6 month Dan plan. I doubt they communicate though, but Dan's lease plans could save some stalled AN leads.
Excellent idea! That could be a powerful combination--- the power of the leads from Afternic with the flexibility of Lease to own payments with DAN!

•••
The broker answered me yesterday and said he noted the buyer from countries that do not typically purchase domain names and are usually confused.
So, racial profiling?...

•••
Hey, are we supposed to receive some sort of notification of a lead that pops up in the "lead center" section on Afternic? I just discovered that a bunch of leads are in my account but I never received any notifications. Is that how it's supposed to work?

•••
Fascinating. I just checked and every lead assigned to this particular broker is dead at "attempting to qualify buyer" without single email sent or call logged. This doesn't seem to be the case with ANY other broker I randomly checked.
That is the pattern. Export the leads and you'll have the timestamps.

•••
I have raised the issue with my rep and will see what he says. There must be some explanation. What was the other broker you mentioned was also auto-stalling? I can check that too.
I raised the issue with my rep last week. Let me know how your rep responds and we'll compare notes. (Privately of course.)

Last edited:
•••
Others not, just from my experience

•••
what "call logged", he successfully talked to the buyer or just attempted to talk to him?

•••
One of the stalled leads in my Lead Center says "Buyer indicated the domain was priced outside of what they wanted to spend." Anyone know if the brokers try to determine what price the buyer was expecting, and if they do, is that information communicated to us? Or do we have to proactively reach out to the broker and request that this be done? How's it work exactly?
do you have a floor, min offer or bin on your name?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back