IT.COM

AdSense for Domains

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
From my inbox:

Many publishers have approached us looking for a way to monetize their domains, and today, we're excited to announce the expansion of AdSense for domains. This product allows publishers to earn revenue through ads placed on undeveloped domains.

With AdSense for domains, users can find relevant information rather than see empty pages or "page not found" errors. Today we present ads, links, and search results on the pages, and may add other useful information in the future. To ensure positive user experience and the quality of our network, these sites are monitored for policy compliance and prohibited from using text and images designed to confuse users.

Advertisers also have additional opportunities to find their customers, and ads on these pages convert well. In addition, we regularly receive requests from advertisers who have found domains to be an effective way to reach their users.

The product will be initially rolled out in phases to English-language AdSense publishers located in North America, and we'll expand to additional regions and languages in the future. To check whether AdSense for domains has been enabled for your account, log in and visit your AdSense Setup tab. For more information, please visit our Help Center.

Here's the link to the official announcement:

http://adsense.blogspot.com/

Well? Is this a gamechanger or not?

I don't show it in my own account as yet.

Can't help but wonder what this means to the parking companies with Google feeds, like SEDO, Fabulous, and all the others. Whoosh! This one caught me by surprise.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Note, any page I viewed was immediately "followed" by a Google bot a second or two later. Any page, every page. Wherever I went, the bot followed me. By the way, I'm NOT using a Google Toolbar, and Google is NOT my default search engine in my browser.
Well, when I looked at your site pages I see that you have adsense on them. I have seen this thing happen on some of my sites also, when people enter in a search query in our site search, Googlebot enters the same thing. Weird huh? But I don't think it's the big deal you are making out of it. Your viewing the page is "seen" by Google and it looks like they are then also checking the page as well. It may be they are doing updates for the content matching. If you don't click on the ads, perhaps the content has changed and they want to check. I wouldn't jump to conslusions about whats going on, but heck yes, we only have small clues about all the information they have on usage.... only a tiny hint of a clue...

•••
If you want to get off the Google grid, then you're going to have to get rid of AdWords (which I don't know if you use), AdSense and Analytics.

As long as you're running those, they'll be tracking your IP numbers and your browsers. That's one way they detect patterns of click fraud.

You're going to have to set your browsers not to accept any cookies.

Probably going to have to disable javascript.

And for your own searching, make sure you stick to Yahoo and MSN only.

And abandon any Gmail or Google accounts you may have had.

After a time, you *might* fall off.

•••
...and if you have a GPS device that uses Google Maps like the iphone they can track our movements and photograph us from space!

•••
Not me. I keep my iphone wrapped in tinfoil for just that reason.

•••
greggish said:
Not me. I keep my iphone wrapped in tinfoil for just that reason.

I just read this entire thread. This was the perfect ending. Too funny. :laugh:

•••
whitebark said:
To those adding .ca's with the CIRA default privacy protection on - are your domains being accepted?
I don't know if it has to be off or not
I took mine off before I submitted them, then
I changed it back after they were approved.
that part verified in less than 24 hours.

Then the registrar changed the records for me.
It probably would have been faster to change the
records first, but because the registrar has to change
them, I waited till they were approved.

That part of it bites..... :td:

•••
•••
MicroGuy said:
I just read this entire thread. This was the perfect ending. Too funny. :laugh:
This thread isnt over yet.. good or bad, not by a long shot.

-Nick- said:
Any of you guys who read Julia's blog would have read the warnings she has been giving since July.

If not then you can still read it : http://isitmeoriseveryoneelsestupid.com/
Nick, could you link us lazy people to the specific posts that relate to this subject, please?

•••
•••
-Nick- said:
Any of you guys who read Julia's blog would have read the warnings she has been giving since July.

If not then you can still read it : http://isitmeoriseveryoneelsestupid.com/

Good read......
Anyone else note the 42.5% revenue share via Googles domain park.

•••
I don't know, it seemed mostly like opinion, not fact. Which is ok, but I didn't feel like I learned much from that blog post.
Anyone else note the 42.5% revenue share via Googles domain park.
Sure did, but can anyone confirm that figure? I hope so...!

•••
netmeg said:
Because the whole idea probably isn't to make a bunch of money in the short term. As I mentioned somewhere above in an earlier post, the big portfolios aren't going to move over to AFD. If they're making good money where they are, they're not going to mess with that. And this is a really fast and efficient way for Google to clean up the low end of the domain market (and keep 'em out of the SERPS - as soon as you submit a domain, I'm sure it's flagged, if it wasn't already)

If this is indeed the Google masterplan to clean up the internet, how long do you think it will take for them to 1) Roll out the scheme worldwide. 2) suck in enough domains to achieve the objective. 3) Start to deindex them all.
Was just thinking that an educated guess at the timeline might be helpful.

•••
exsedo said:
Was just thinking that an educated guess at the timeline might be helpful.
That solely depends on how many domainers fall for the scheme and continue to think that Google is the end all - be all.
It's a pretty clear cut situation :imho: The verdict: Stay away from Google's parking solution. I don't think it can be said anymore clear than that.

M.

*This is solely my personal opinion and as such, disassociated from my NP Staff duties. (Just for the case that some think they need to start flaming again)*

•••
Mike said:
That solely depends on how many domainers fall for the scheme and continue to think that Google is the end all - be all.
It's a pretty clear cut situation :imho: The verdict: Stay away from Google's parking solution. I don't think it can be said anymore clear than that.

M.

*This is solely my personal opinion and as such, disassociated from my NP Staff duties. (Just for the case that some think they need to start flaming again)*

I don't think Google is the end all...

Although the domains I have there are/have
already done better in about 14 days,
than in some cases - months with the other parking
companies.
I don't have a million dollar portfolio - far from it
but this program is working for me!
:imho:

•••
Are any of your domains still indexed?

I tried two throwaway domains that were at least in the index - once I added them to AFD, they were out of the index within 48 hours.

•••
one of the domains i added to AFD the first day it open is still indexed

•••
Those that I added are no longer indexed!!! Even if I type them into the google search with the extension they are not recognised.
The only way anyone will ever find these domains would be to type the full name+ext directly into their browser.

•••
I tried two throwaway domains...
That could be why... :)

I just checked two of the 11 domains that we have and they still have PageRank, so I assume nothing has changed. We are still getting quite a few impressions, but still no clicks. So far it's no better and no worse than Parked or TrafficZ for the domain we tried.

But like you I didn't want to jump in with domains that are currently earning money, so maybe what I need to do now is try some of those and see how this program works. Some people seem to be making some money.

My advice so far is to try it and see if it works for you or not.

•••
mis_chiff said:
I don't think Google is the end all...
I wasn't aiming at you, Wendy :xf.love:
It's just that too many domainers still believe that Google is the savior. Nothing could be further from the truth. Not that any solution is the perfect solution, but Google is definitely below the lowest rung of the ladder in my book.
I am absolutely convinced that netmeg is on the right track with her theory, which also seems to slowly find more merit.
Then again, I've been wrong before - and in all honesty, i wish everyone to make millions with AFD - my gut feeling and Google's business history, general ethics and bearing on the (domain) market are proving otherwise.

M.

*my disclaimer still applies*

•••
If this is indeed the Google masterplan to clean up the internet, how long do you think it will take for them to 1) Roll out the scheme worldwide. 2) suck in enough domains to achieve the objective. 3) Start to deindex them all.
In my opinion and based on my experience with AFD so far, I think this kind of talk is paranoid.

If Google wanted to take some mass action against parked domains, all they would need to do is look for things like:

- Domain owner info from WHOIS
- Name server into from WHOIS
- IP addresses
- Page templates

There are so many ways to spot and filter for parked domains, there is NO REASON for Google to create a program like this so they can find out what they are. In fact, why would then have people switch to AFD, and then dump them from the listings since the natual conclusion would be that is what they are doing...? They could just drop you where your domain is parked currently.

I don't think I am smarter than Google and I sure as heck would not go to that bother when I can just make a few small changes to the search engine and filter out whatever I want to...

So just like when people find their web site has been dropped from the search results, I suggest you talk to some other people either on or off-forum and try to figure out what the reasons are beyond some type of "master plan" to exclude parked domains.

•••
nielsencl said:
In my opinion and based on my experience with AFD so far, I think this kind of talk is paranoid.

If Google wanted to take some mass action against parked domains, all they would need to do is look for things like:

- Domain owner info from WHOIS
- Name server into from WHOIS
- IP addresses
- Page templates
Difference being - manpower. It takes a LOT of staff to start hunting down domains. It's a much easier, less labor and cost intense task when domainers BRING their domains to them.
A somewhat adapted analogy of the piper applies. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pied_Piper_of_Hamelin )

M.

•••
Mike said:
I wasn't aiming at you, Wendy :xf.love:
*my disclaimer still applies*
I know hun... :hearts:

netmeg said:

I tried two throwaway domains that were at least in the index - once I added them to AFD, they were out of the index within 48 hours.

What are throwaway domains?

Google had de-indexed most of my sites
about 6 months before I parked them elsewhere.
Because of a video script I was using.

That's why I moved them to AFD
...I'm trying to get them back in the good books!

I can't/don't analize my domains to the depths that you guys do.

If their parked and making money - good enough for me.

Developed they weren't (found out later because of a script)

Developed would be ideal - but that's not in my do-able future!

Again, these are just my opinions - my results have been quite favorable.

I guess it's like everything else - it'll work for some - but not for all!

Maybe in the long run it might turn out to be a negative,
but in the meantime, their making money - beats just sitting
there doing nothing!

•••
G is not the only traffic source on the net... and bottom line, are the sites earning or not is what counts.
If they were not earning anywhere else and are earning with AFD... then go for it.
This is a great thread so far, so lets stick with the facts.
Opinions are welcome, of course, and being paranoid is only natural when it comes to any action carried out by G, but lets hear more about who is and who isnt making money with this new service.

Peace,
Cy

•••
There are so many ways to spot and filter for parked domains, there is NO REASON for Google to create a program like this so they can find out what they are. In fact, why would then have people switch to AFD, and then dump them from the listings since the natual conclusion would be that is what they are doing...? They could just drop you where your domain is parked currently.

Scale, as mentioned above. It's a lot easier to remove them if people hand them over, than to have to go out and look for them. And who's to say that's not the next step anyway?

Look, on the whole, I'm not a Google Conspiracy theorist. I actually *like* Google, and I believe that they (mostly) have good intentions, while also wanting to turn a pretty profit. I've made a ton of money both from Google and because of Google, I'm a GAP twice over, and they actually consult with me on some issues (not domains)

But all that aside, I'm not naive. I have a pretty good idea what Google's end game is here; advertisers HATE parked domains on principle (you wouldn't believe the shit I just went through over on WebmasterWorld for simply admitting that I *own* more domains than I have developed, much less park them) and the advertisers who are savvy enough to do so automatically block their ads from showing on domains. The parking industry, on the whole, needs a major cleanup, and I'm sure Google figures that once cleaned up, they can make the push to advertisers that good quality parked domains are worth advertising on. Nothing I've heard from Google either publicly or privately has caused me to change my opinion.

Cyberian slipped in while I was writing the above.

My two AFD domains have made exactly fifty cents in the past couple weeks.

Now, what I'm going to do is try taking one out, and parking it somewhere else to see if it goes back in the index. Then I will develop it in some minimal way, to see it goes back in THAT way. I want to try to ascertain if putting a domain into AFD has a long term effect if you take it out.

Last edited:
•••
netmeg said:

I have one left in AFD, it's still indexed after more than a week. It makes about the same as traditional parking.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back