Dynadot

advice About this GoDaddy Refund

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

omelet

Top Member
Impact
Hi

- I got a godaddy domain wanted to transfer to Epik, but forgot to turn off the Godaddy auto-renew; (i never purposely turn on the auto renew, but they set that default without my approval)

- The domain just expired yesterday and Godaddy renewed it at $26 CAD

- I chatted with their online customer requested for a refund, and ask them to leave my domain to be expired in my account and allow it transferable as it is still in grace period

Godaddy staff said NO. Based on their policy, if I request for refund, then they have to permanently cancel my domain and remove it from my account.

What do you suggest?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think renew after not possible refund money.

Better answer can tell domain registrar or staff here ......

•••
I think renew after not possible refund money.

Better answer can tell domain registrar or staff here ......

They said they can refund, but then the domain will permanently remove from my account, I cannot transfer it away to other registrars.

Come on, it is 2021.

•••
I invite @Samer here;
Previous he also forget turn off auto renewal ...... :facepalm: @GoDaddy

Last edited:
•••
I'd say you're stuck with it, unfortunately. You have to monitor your names more closely to prevent it from happening again.

•••
Look like it is just one domain. Not a big deal for me.

But, but, I cannot believe Godaddy gave me two unbelievable options:

1), Get refund? Sure, then you will lose your domain. why? The domain still in grace period. Godaddy forces customers to renew with them or they will delete the domain???? Make sense? Can you believe that?

2), You want to transfer it? Then must I renew with Godday first? So ugly.

•••
I'd say you're stuck with it, unfortunately. You have to monitor your names more closely to prevent it from happening again.

It's different story, bro. I of course need to take care of my domains. I own 3000 domains.

I just need to have my RIGHT.

I need it to be REASONABLE.

•••
True, it's ugly and hard to swallow.

You agreed to Godaddy's terms of service when you registered the name. Your rights go no further. Or go hire a lawyer.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
My advice would be to transfer out all your names tbh.

I know you don't need my advice. Best of luck.

Last edited:
•••
I invite @Samer here;
Previous he also forget turn off auto renewal ...... :facepalm: @GoDaddy

I had worse; had discount club price renewed

Their hostage tax $89.99 back then annually.

i wasnt grandfather clause; they said i would, “hostage tax” now $129.99. Lol.

Dont worry. Auto-renewal is off.

#No Daddy :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
My advice would be to transfer out all your names tbh.

I know you don't need my advice. Best of luck.
Some re-sellers charge $60+ bs, and the website, does not show price.

Yeah, Instra, i’m talking to you. You guys make Network Solutions look like Dynadot. (Not to pick on them personally, all try Dynadot; but the new $9.99 com from 8.99

Dynadot went from #2, but still top-3. :xf.grin:
Sorry.. digress. Instra.com pricing is anti christ.

Use TLD-LiST(.)COM! for all ext!
(but i’m close to 100% com)

Last edited:
•••
I transferred all of my domains away from godaddy 3-5 years ago already. But I constantly purchase some domains from other domainers and some domains need to push to my godaddy account. That's why I still have 30 names in my godaddy account.

•••
I transferred all of my domains away from godaddy 3-5 years ago already. But I constantly purchase some domains from other domainers and some domains need to push to my godaddy account. That's why I still have 30 names in my godaddy account.
ok gotcha, that makes more sense. There's always one that "slips by". Obviously you wouldn't have DDC for 30 names.

Transfer 10 names today to NameCheap with coupon for $5.98 and you will be ahead $$

Last edited:
•••
It's already renewed. I think It can't be reversed. Basically they will delete it if you want refund (and they take loss of whatever it cost them to renew). IMO, better to just take it as a lesson and make a habit of disabling auto renewal.

Similar to you, I also have few domains with GD that I bought from closeout or other domainers. What I liked about GD is that they let you have the auth code even if domain is expired.
I have all my domains with dynadot and they don't let me have the code if domain is expired. So, I can't list them on nameliquidate or start an auction on dynadot. very annoying.

•••
It's already renewed. I think It can't be reversed. Basically they will delete it if you want refund (and they take loss of whatever it cost them to renew). IMO, better to just take it as a lesson and make a habit of disabling auto renewal.

Similar to you, I also have few domains with GD that I bought from closeout or other domainers. What I liked about GD is that they let you have the auth code even if domain is expired.
I have all my domains with dynadot and they don't let me have the code if domain is expired. So, I can't list them on nameliquidate or start an auction on dynadot. very annoying.

You can definitely have your auth code even domains expired at dynadot, you need to talk to dynadot support

i think 90% of registrar allow you to get auth code after the name expired

•••
You can definitely have your auth code even domains expired at dynadot, you need to talk to dynadot support

i think 90% of registrar allow you to get auth code after the name expired

At Namesilo you cannot.

•••
Godaddy staff said NO. Based on their policy, if I request for refund, then they have to permanently cancel my domain and remove it from my account.

What do you suggest?

What’s the problem ?

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Yesterday I transferred out 4 expired domains(10-20 days ago expired) from namesilo
Thanks. Apparently they changed their policy on expired domains.

•••
It's not their policy to change, it's ICANN policy, which has existed for more than 15 years: "Registrars are not allowed to deny a transfer due to expiration or non-renewal".

•••
It's not their policy to change, it's ICANN policy, which has existed for more than 15 years: "Registrars are not allowed to deny a transfer due to expiration or non-renewal".
True. But I swear I had an interaction with their support and they refused to provide me with an auth code. It was several years ago however. I know I've had issues with a couple other registrars when trying to obtain auth codes.

•••
Yeah I can imagine there are some asshole registrars that try to con/scam their customers. I've never had any real issue in that respect with them personally, but due to other things I stopped being the fan of them I was a few years back and have nothing with them now.

IIRC, to get your authcodes there (for every domain at once, expired or not), just click on the XML/CSV icon above the domains on the page is that lists them all.

Since AFAIK they still have the same ancient UI (which is still far better than what they've been trying to update to for years), I assume that's always been possible, though pretty well hidden (I only found out after asking the support for an authcode).

•••
Back