IT.COM

question About celebrities domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gdndd

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

I have a question about celebrities Domain names...

I just found one (no trademark) that seems being pretty nice ... What if I register it but no website, no parking ... Nothing ....No commercial use, no emailing ... no sales information.

Could I have trouble in any way (Except UDRP)?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
what's the point in owning it, if you're not or can't, do anything with it?

imo...

•••
•••
The point is to hope they will find it ... and buy it !

People tend more and more regging their own name ...

•••
And what are the risks if I never monetized the domain ... ? I just owned it ...It's not a trademark ... I liked the name !

•••
The point is to hope they will find it ... and buy it !

People tend more and more regging their own name ...

Hi

though i'm no celebrity:

i've had to chance to register my first/last name and didn't, and others have tried to sell me my first/last name and i passed, and others have even told me that my first/last name was on the drop list and i still didn't bid on it.

still, the point is, owning someone else's first/last name, has no value to you and.... if they pursue it, you'll have to justify why you're holding it for ransom.

however, owning a "first" name is much different than one's full name, as many do have value and are/can be seen as less specific to an individual.

imo.....

•••
The question is: Why would they pursue if ...:
  • I'm just a domain name Collector
  • I don't make any use of it (no parking, no website, no listing)
  • There is no trademark with it
  • I didn't list it for sale
  • I didn't try to sell it in anyway
  • They are living in asia, russia, thailand (and me, in Canada)
  • There is a possibility that other people in the world have the same first and last name ?
Why do I want to reg it ? Simple ...Because, one day, maybe, this person will want his domain ... And would be ready to pay the price for it ! ...

•••
The question is: Why would they pursue if ...:
  • I'm just a domain name Collector
  • I don't make any use of it (no parking, no website, no listing)
  • There is no trademark with it
  • I didn't list it for sale
  • I didn't try to sell it in anyway
  • They are living in asia, russia, thailand (and me, in Canada)
  • There is a possibility that other people in the world have the same first and last name ?
Why do I want to reg it ? Simple ...Because, one day, maybe, this person will want his domain ... And would be ready to pay the price for it ! ...

Just by writing what you have written in a public forum you have exhibited bad faith, secondly many celebrities have won their name with no registered trademark, just a common law tm, Julia Roberts was one,there are hundreds more, not monetizing a domain name does not give someone a free pass. If they file a UDRP is it worth it to defend the domain ? Probably not, so if you don't want to defend it and not reply they will get the domain.

Going on a public forum and saying you want to register another person's name in the hopes of selling it to them one day is not the way to go.

•••
Come one, you are playing on words ... It is hypothetical ! I didn't mention any name, anything ... I'm not a Pro as you might be ... And I was only asking ... just asking ! And yes, it would be stupid to do so ... ! And Thanks...

•••
I'm not a lawyer, but if as you say:
There is a possibility that other people in the world have the same first and last name ?
then you stand a chance of fending off any legal challenge.
The more popular/general the name set, the better.

On the other hand, I somehow feel that there's very little proof of making profits from selling celebrity names' domains.
I haven't heard of any.

•••
Come one, you are playing on words ... It is hypothetical ! I didn't mention any name, anything ... I'm not a Pro as you might be ... And I was only asking ... just asking ! And yes, it would be stupid to do so ... ! And Thanks...

Look I am not telling you what to do, if you read the link I included you see it is all over the place. Oliver Stone paid $6,000 and a signed copy of a script. other celebrities get nasty and threaten to skip the UDRP and go after someone under the ACPA and look for $100,000 in damages.

What I am saying is do your research but never talk about it on a forum or social media that can come back against you and yes they do use old post screenshots, archive.org and Google Cache even if you delete something you are not always protected, and you have a small window here to edit a post.

If you are a true fan and own one name it might work out, some people have asked of a celebrity to call them, that is what is famous about the Julia Roberts case, the domain owner who lost it wanted just a phone call. Paul Mc Cartney won his domain name the owner wanted him to read some environmental cause that the owner supported. One fan asked for some merchandise of Ndamukong Suh but asked for more and more stuff, so they got a UDRP and lost the domain name. Plus losing a UDRP does not look good going forward, you may lose a name you have a right to later down the line because they paint you as a serial cybersquatter who has lost names in a UDRP. You need to assess if this is all worth it for a few potential dollars.

•••
Hey,

what if:

situation 1
The domain with celebrityname.com or net is used as a rss feed news sharing channel and monetized with adsense and optimized for seo?

Situation 2
The domain is a missspelling of the name and similar activities are performed

Is this worth a shot with a team ready in hand to try?

looking forward!
Thanks in advance!

•••
I sold a celebrity (nickname) domain. For low to mid five figures. But I had registered it many years ago probably before this celebrity had even started using the nickname. Also, I ended up selling it not to the celebrity - but to someone completely different, in Hollywood, who used it for nothing to do with the celebrity nickname, and nothing to do with the movie industry.

However, I kept my price high because I thought the anonymous buyer was the celebrity. He turned out not to be.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back