Domain Empire

A Quick Weird Registrar Experience

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ixex

Final ProductTop Member
Impact
Hey, I just have to say this on the forum. Never has happened and decided to ask, throw this out here.. as I have purchased more than a handful of domains through a variety of registrars. I just purchased hand reg. a domain. An .org

Frankly, if this can happen and I have not seen this ever for I do not know how many years. I believed this was a stable environment when it came to reach of information.. I how can you then trust what you are looking at any one registrar?

I first checked with a registrar that I normally do for availability, etc. and it stated taken. I just happen to go to another registrar and again without reservation from the past finding, I put this domain and in and it was available ? I thought somewhere I was riding a spelling mistake, and maybe another mistake I made. Though correct, it is in my account locked.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
how can you then trust what you are looking at any one registrar?

That is why it is best to have an account in good standing with more than one registrar.

For new hand regs, I always use Epik as my first choice. Privacy is free and the management system is built for serious domainers. Godaddy, Namesilo and Dynadot are others I use.

If there is a name that shows available using the ICANN site, I will go to the preferred registrar for that name (for whatever reason) and try to register the name. If it shows it is taken, I will immediately go to another one of the registrars I prefer and try there.

More than once in the last ten years a name showed taken at one registrar but I was able to grab it at another. I do not spend any energy trying to figure out why this happens...as long as I get the name, all is well. If after 2 or 3 tries I can not register that name, I let it go and I begin the search for another name.

•••
So you go to icann.org and first look at availability of a domain there?

•••
That is why it is best to have an account in good standing with more than one registrar.

For new hand regs, I always use Epik as my first choice. Privacy is free and the management system is built for serious domainers. Godaddy, Namesilo and Dynadot are others I use.

If there is a name that shows available using the ICANN site, I will go to the preferred registrar for that name (for whatever reason) and try to register the name. If it shows it is taken, I will immediately go to another one of the registrars I prefer and try there.

More than once in the last ten years a name showed taken at one registrar but I was able to grab it at another. I do not spend any energy trying to figure out why this happens...as long as I get the name, all is well. If after 2 or 3 tries I can not register that name, I let it go and I begin the search for another name.

:xf.wink:

So you go to icann.org and first look at availability of a domain there?

https://port43whois.com/

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back