IT.COM

A question about transfers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Two questions actually and then some.

Hope some of you could spare me a minute just to clarify my questions regarding transfers. Any reply would be appreciated, even if it's a single sentence fragment.

1. Whats the 60 day limit about? Does this restriction apply to new transfers or new registrations as well? In the registrar information, there's a statement that the domain cannot be transferred in the first 60 days. Does that mean you cannot sell the domain during this time? (seems like some people have managed to sell before the limit is up so I'm a little confused.)

Seems like on every registrar (such as name.com) has a fee for transfers. (about the same price as a registration.) It is never stated on the website whether this adds an extra year to the domain. Does it? (Y/N)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. You're looking at a one post wonder! :blink:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1) the restriction applies to new registrations / (external) transfers. this does not apply to (internal) pushes within a registrar, and is how domains are sold within the 60-day limit.

2) it does add an extra year.

•••
Wow, thank you for the quick reply.

added rep :)

So in that case, is it possible (is there any way) to sell if the 60 days are not over but you have an interested party (in a different registrar)?

•••
SirDeNovo said:
Wow, thank you for the quick reply.

added rep :)

So in that case, is it possible (is there any way) to sell if the 60 days are not over but you have an interested party (in a different registrar)?
Yes, by having the buyer create a free account at the current registrar. They may then transfer to the registrar of their choice after the 60 days.

•••
Yes, most registrars allow free push before the 60 days are over within the registrar itself.

So if you want to sell to another one, s/he must get an account at the registrar your domain is in, then you can push the domain for free.

Beware though that not all registrars do allow free push.

1and1.com does not

GoDaddy does
Moniker does
77gb does :)

Good luck and best regards,

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back