Dynadot

discuss A new era in domaining?

NameSilo
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
At the beginning of 2021, after selling one domain I've never expect to sell one year ago, I stopped for a bit to reflect.

Where all this market turmoil has brought us... and where it does take us next.

This my take of the next few years in domaining; what I think is happening already. And I believe it takes us to a whole new level.

First off, domain sales have been going great through the pandemic. Maybe a little lower here and there, but hey - part of the market having gone bust (certain industries), the others have risen up to the challenge and covered the difference in sales pretty nicely. So we're doing good.

There is increased pressure on drops and auctions (for good names, of course). I cannot hand reg drops that were really available 1 year ago. The number of buyers has significantly increased, and DropCatch is going rampant. Domain sales are going good, but domain purchases? Through the roof. I think registrars, who anyway get the cherry on the cake, will have an ever larger cake and even eat it, in the next few years.

Pandemic has changed everything. Everyone is going digital. I also have an brick and mortar as well, which does retail of physical goods, but with an online inbound channel. This business has changed, and it tells me quite a lot about the current situation. Guess what, instead of going bust (brick and mortar, right?) our sales have almost doubled through the pandemic. Solely because of the online presence, having good domains, strong branding and that's about it.

Basically what happened is that many of our smaller competitors with shops and stuff have closed due to limitations, OR the clients aren't coming to them anymore and buy mostly online and they aren't prepared to pack and ship like that. So this situation has changed the market a lot. Even the paid ads are cheaper as people don't advertise anymore for their closed shop.

( Note. The bar has risen a lot, and whoever was not prepared has gone bust. We have started preparing in January 2020 while the pandemic was not even on the continent yet. That's how you do these things.)

Back to domains - my prediction is that demand will continue to increase and that the increase will accelerate. Right now the number of potential buyers of domains has maybe doubled or tripled already; many being forced to quickly alter course towards online. But on the other hand, many of the smaller ones indeed have low cash. (They'd really give you $100 for that valuable domain, yeah). But there is also lack of domain education at play.

So there will be a fight next (I already feel it) between the demand and the pricing pressure, some buyers aiming for lower price - but at the same time many of them already competing for a limited resource such as .coms, single word ngTLD's or other valuables.

No worries though: This market will settle by itself. And this process will not bring the overall prices down (as some might believe), but the opposite. Because the real good domains are not in the hands of newbies who don't know what they are doing. So buyers will finally begin to understand better the value of a domain. Finally.

Without that good name, you're a nobody in the online world. You are not getting observed. You lose money.

That 1k or 3k domain price you have been complaining about, is absolutely nothing in comparison with your other business expenses and turnover. You pay that much for one low income worker, just for one month, right? And this is a ONE TIME pay for something that will bring a ton of revenue for so many years. I believe the pressure to get online will begin to put things where they need to be. It is your best, and most valuable, and most ROI-efficient investment your business will ever make. (Side note, I bought my brand domains including the .com and all other tlds, years before even having that solid business running; because later would be way too late. I came prepared.)

On the other hand I also see the lower end of the market, small buyers, domainer wannabes trying to make a buck through this pandemic. And it's a good thing, even though unfortunately just few of them really make positive income from this.

But it brings more opportunities to the market, including more awareness, and creates scarcity as more domains will already be regged; and the result is, our good ones will get to be even more valuable. If someone cannot find an acceptable domain for their business available to hand reg, their only last avenue is to buy one. So it all finally brings the buck to the market.

Some have predicted .coms will fall. They haven't, and won't.

ngTLDs are on the rise, that's good but guess what, the sellers appear to know enough not to make them dirt cheap, so this keeps the coms still very interesting. And on the other hand, the buyer pressure is so high that even with all the new TLDs, .coms will continue to rise. Have some short, valuable 1-2 and maybe even 3-word coms that don't sell yet? Keep them, renew them - you will sell them for good cash next year or the other. This is only going up. Just like bitcoin in crypto, .coms will still be the core of the market.

The pandemic is, in my opinion, here to stay for a while. The new market is here to stay for even more. This is the birth of a new era, and we have to grasp it well.

The shift to online, digital work, collaboration and online education has been dramatic. New businesses will rise to the challenge and they will be hungry for valuable domains. So be prepared to feed them with your domain treats, in return for valuable cash.

What is your take on the near future? Your comments are appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That 50 year degree in economics has probably gone a little stale by now I think

In the last 12 months there have only been 46 .online reported sales

18 of those look to be end user sales

With only one 2 word end user .online sale - And that was for $100 and might not even be a end user :xf.laugh::ROFL: - did not check

100 USD 2020-10-09 Sedo

There are also the below, but I don't speak German....and did not look up their meaning.....

2,708 USD 2020-02-17 Sedo
437 USD 2020-02-11 Sedo

But hey I what do I know......I don't have an economic degree....
Nick....if you want a new good idea i suggest you read an old book:xf.wink: Like Supply and Demand being the same as it was 50 years ago, so is entrepreneurism:xf.smile: You may also note that .online is the fastest growing of all the nTLD's according to ntldstats.com.

•••
Yeah, and if someone launches a ".safetyonline" TLD, you can do it with 3 :xf.laugh:
Getting the ".com" is only ever 3 letters more, counting over the total (the one which really counts now that there are ngTLDs pretty long). But OK, fair enough. ".online" isn't bad. Just almost 3 times the renewal fee, though. And it's no .com when it comes to finding customers. But maybe you are going to change this.

You have to get rid of this stock before renewal, or it's going to be expensive for not much.

Berserker...i'm keenly aware about the renewals ,and I'm at least smart enough to know i don't have to renew any of .online domains. As an entrepreneur who's seen both success and failure, the $150 (total) i've spent registering domains like GunSafety.online, CheapSeats.online and Conditioning.online is NOTHING compared to the tens of thousands of dollars i've invested in all sorts of business ventures.

Like Redd said, all i need to do is sell just one of my .online domains for $150 to get my money back. btw, the $49.99 renewal for a domain like CheapSeats.online is NOTHING when you see the sort of revenues and success that CheapSeats.com has had with their online business.

•••
It was more geared towards the "supply and demand" part of the post.......

With domains if you don't take past performance of an extension into account then you will build up a big supply in an extension with little demand.....

I am all for trying new extensions, I have a few spread around but I will not go overboard as I want to spread my risk.....my choice......others can do what they want......

Looking at past performance as part (not all) of the decision making process can be beneficial....the below spring to mind straight away

Which keywords sell
How often do they sell
How much did they sell for
how many domains have sold in a particular extension

every bit of data helps in the end......

I agree. That is why over the last year I have moved away from not.coms to dot.coms. There were some good names in my portfolio but no one wanted to but them. That in itself doesn't mean that they were bad domain names just that maybe they were a little too left of centre with high renewals. If they had all been dot.coms no doubt I would have kept more but alas they were not and we have to move on. Dot.coms sell on a regular basis and that is now where me focus is to be. Now, don't get me started on hyphens lol.

We also have to realize our own limitations and whether we can easily accept rejection. If you know that you cannot handle rejection well don't register or buy names that will more often than not be rejected by many people. Better targets equal better rewards. Dot.coms can sometimes sell themselves so some of the hard work is already done. I'd rather be a domain investor than an admin clerk sending out e-mails all day which in reality may never be opened.

Everything takes time and I'm still learning so I will move forward with optimism and hope for the future.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
One can only wonder what made you go bet on that one :whistle:

I got a tip from a wonky donky. He said it was a one horse race. It was. I still lost!!!

•••
I agree. That is why over the last year I have moved away from not.coms to dot.coms. There were some good names in my portfolio but no one wanted to but them. That in itself doesn't mean that they were bad domain names just that maybe they were a little too left of centre with high renewals. If they had all been dot.coms no doubt I would have kept more but alas they were not and we have to move on. Dot.coms sell on a regular basis and that is now where me focus is to be. Now, don't get me started on hyphens lol.

We also have to realize our own limitations and whether we can easily accept rejection. If you know that you cannot handle rejection well don't register or buy names that will more often than not be rejected by many people. Better targets equal better rewards. Dot.coms can sometimes sell themselves so some of the hard work is already done. I'd rather be a domain investor than an admin clerk sending out e-mails all day which in reality may never be opened.

Everything takes time and I'm still learning so I will move forward with optimism and hope for the future.

Regards,

Reddstagg
Redd....i don't plan on "sending out e-mails all day which in reality may never be opened" However we do plan to make phone calls all day especially to realtors who have a tendency to take phone calls and open emails and inquiries because that's what they do.

Outbound sales/marketing is not for the feint of heart especially if you can't handle rejection. I think it was the great marketer and motivational speaker Zig Ziglar who said, i'm thankful for every "NO" i get because it's a proven fact that I'm getting closer to a "SALE" and the "GOLD" at the end of rainbow☺

I don't think we disagree Redd....just my wife and i disagree:)

•••
.99 cent sale for the .realty nTLD
I just looked up the .realty TLD. It's not something I'm used to, or I really encountered in the past. This thing is CRAZY expensive :xf.eek: It's $300 registration and renewals!

So there was a $1 reg offer? This seems to have ended. I don't find it anywhere anymore.

•••
I just looked up the .realty TLD. It's not something I'm used to, or I really encountered in the past. This thing is CRAZY expensive :xf.eek: It's $300 registration and renewals!

So there was a $1 reg offer? This seems to have ended. I don't find it anywhere anymore.
Berserker.....with a few exceptions I own portfolios in just two nTLD extensions .realty and .online. Fortunately I have someone developing a marketplace for those extensions, RealtyDomains.xx, and while the website is up and running, it's not locked and loaded. I can agree that the registration fee of $300 is crazy, but I have plans to use that as a negotiation tool for my domains that are priced from $375 for Standard.realty names and $875 for Premium.realty domains. I can't share exactly how I intend to do that because it varies depending on the domain, and I also plan/hope to negotiate a lower fee with the registrar. For the record, I've been in touch with both the registrar Epik, and the registry for .realty Fegistry, LLC.

There are a few other reasons I own so many .realty domains. First, i happen to own Broad Bay Realty, LLC, thus i also own BroadBay.Realty, and second, according to the National Association of Realtors (NAR) there are well over a million realtors in the US alone. Oh, and there's one more reason for owning .realty domains...statistics show that over 30% of all real estate companies in the US have the word "realty" in their name. Thus if Berserker were to start a real estate company he'd be Berserker Realty and his web address would match; Berserker.Realty.

Finally, we should probably move this conversation over to the .realty thread where it wold be more on topic.

Thanks

•••
Dude, you are 100% correct!

Thank you for explaining your physical store experiences and giving hope to buyers realizing domain's importance. This could be tipping point.

If anyone has a decent .com portfolio of one and two word names you know and see the increase in demand and sales. I have approx. 150% increase.

Lot more young folks and undercapitalized "companies" inquiries as well. More asking about financing/leasing.

Lots more inquiries and sales for exact match keyword products as well. I sold to companies adding keyword names for indexing and sales.

Enjoy the great times!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back