IT.COM

discuss A new era in domaining?

NameSilo
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
At the beginning of 2021, after selling one domain I've never expect to sell one year ago, I stopped for a bit to reflect.

Where all this market turmoil has brought us... and where it does take us next.

This my take of the next few years in domaining; what I think is happening already. And I believe it takes us to a whole new level.

First off, domain sales have been going great through the pandemic. Maybe a little lower here and there, but hey - part of the market having gone bust (certain industries), the others have risen up to the challenge and covered the difference in sales pretty nicely. So we're doing good.

There is increased pressure on drops and auctions (for good names, of course). I cannot hand reg drops that were really available 1 year ago. The number of buyers has significantly increased, and DropCatch is going rampant. Domain sales are going good, but domain purchases? Through the roof. I think registrars, who anyway get the cherry on the cake, will have an ever larger cake and even eat it, in the next few years.

Pandemic has changed everything. Everyone is going digital. I also have an brick and mortar as well, which does retail of physical goods, but with an online inbound channel. This business has changed, and it tells me quite a lot about the current situation. Guess what, instead of going bust (brick and mortar, right?) our sales have almost doubled through the pandemic. Solely because of the online presence, having good domains, strong branding and that's about it.

Basically what happened is that many of our smaller competitors with shops and stuff have closed due to limitations, OR the clients aren't coming to them anymore and buy mostly online and they aren't prepared to pack and ship like that. So this situation has changed the market a lot. Even the paid ads are cheaper as people don't advertise anymore for their closed shop.

( Note. The bar has risen a lot, and whoever was not prepared has gone bust. We have started preparing in January 2020 while the pandemic was not even on the continent yet. That's how you do these things.)

Back to domains - my prediction is that demand will continue to increase and that the increase will accelerate. Right now the number of potential buyers of domains has maybe doubled or tripled already; many being forced to quickly alter course towards online. But on the other hand, many of the smaller ones indeed have low cash. (They'd really give you $100 for that valuable domain, yeah). But there is also lack of domain education at play.

So there will be a fight next (I already feel it) between the demand and the pricing pressure, some buyers aiming for lower price - but at the same time many of them already competing for a limited resource such as .coms, single word ngTLD's or other valuables.

No worries though: This market will settle by itself. And this process will not bring the overall prices down (as some might believe), but the opposite. Because the real good domains are not in the hands of newbies who don't know what they are doing. So buyers will finally begin to understand better the value of a domain. Finally.

Without that good name, you're a nobody in the online world. You are not getting observed. You lose money.

That 1k or 3k domain price you have been complaining about, is absolutely nothing in comparison with your other business expenses and turnover. You pay that much for one low income worker, just for one month, right? And this is a ONE TIME pay for something that will bring a ton of revenue for so many years. I believe the pressure to get online will begin to put things where they need to be. It is your best, and most valuable, and most ROI-efficient investment your business will ever make. (Side note, I bought my brand domains including the .com and all other tlds, years before even having that solid business running; because later would be way too late. I came prepared.)

On the other hand I also see the lower end of the market, small buyers, domainer wannabes trying to make a buck through this pandemic. And it's a good thing, even though unfortunately just few of them really make positive income from this.

But it brings more opportunities to the market, including more awareness, and creates scarcity as more domains will already be regged; and the result is, our good ones will get to be even more valuable. If someone cannot find an acceptable domain for their business available to hand reg, their only last avenue is to buy one. So it all finally brings the buck to the market.

Some have predicted .coms will fall. They haven't, and won't.

ngTLDs are on the rise, that's good but guess what, the sellers appear to know enough not to make them dirt cheap, so this keeps the coms still very interesting. And on the other hand, the buyer pressure is so high that even with all the new TLDs, .coms will continue to rise. Have some short, valuable 1-2 and maybe even 3-word coms that don't sell yet? Keep them, renew them - you will sell them for good cash next year or the other. This is only going up. Just like bitcoin in crypto, .coms will still be the core of the market.

The pandemic is, in my opinion, here to stay for a while. The new market is here to stay for even more. This is the birth of a new era, and we have to grasp it well.

The shift to online, digital work, collaboration and online education has been dramatic. New businesses will rise to the challenge and they will be hungry for valuable domains. So be prepared to feed them with your domain treats, in return for valuable cash.

What is your take on the near future? Your comments are appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I define this as the "non-face-to-face economy" or the "age of segregation".

Communication is as essential to business as air is to humans. Until communication technology is disruptive, domains will become increasingly important. I don't think the peak of the nTLD has come yet, and nTLD sales will be proportional to the number of IP disputes, even if ICANN doesn't want to see COM as king.

With more buyers, more amateur investors will be driven into the industry, and with that the average selling price of the domain will become very low. And the real group of buyers will be the many small local businesses forced to move their business online rather than the monster businesses.

That's why I left the auction market a year ago, because my view was that the average selling price of domains would be drastically reduced and the auction market would transfer the cost risk to investors.

Last edited:
•••
This is off-topic I'm afraid. .online tld is not the discussion here.
Sorry....somehow i thought Twiki.Gifts or TwikiGifts.online might make for a good and memorable business name if you were to move your gift shop from B & M to online. What was i thinking:xf.rolleyes:

•••
That's why I left the auction market a year ago, because my view was that the average selling price of domains would be drastically reduced and the auction market would transfer the cost risk to investors.

I share the same opinion.

You are better off in most cases without going to auctions. Rather I would seek individual owners who don't have their domains used / listed and make them an offer.

Edit: Although it depends. If you have deep pockets you can spend 10k on a single domain at auctions and wait a few years to sell it with 30K for example. But you need that certainty and experience. And pockets.

Last edited:
•••
This is off-topic I'm afraid. .online tld is not the discussion here.
I don't really understand this answer. I don't think it is.
What is the topic? What's next for domain names? With the premises that a good domain name is important. A good, memorable, short, catchy, seriousness inspiring, etc. (business) NAME has always been rather important. Now on top of all this, with DOMAINS, it is the online LOCATION where people can find you (directly). So, I think you're right, it's extremely important. Hence the valuation of great domains.

It combines the previous importance of the name with what's important for real estate: "Location, location, location!". You are doing the parallel "domain name/real estate" yourself.

The demand is strong, and probably only increasing going forward. Sure. More people online, more need for good names.
The offer may also have increased due to ngTLDs (and here comes the topic raised by TNG). A lot of ngTLDs are pretty shitty. They are good for personal use, and may lower the demand for names on "good" TLDs, but can't really be used for business as they don't appear very serious. BUT, some of the "Radix" ones like "online", "site" and "website" aren't that bad, and they may be usable for serious businesses. This point tells you OFFER maybe increased because of this, and these domains may be viable alternatives. You may also want to look to work yourself with these extensions and maybe buy some. And you can keep in a corner of your head the idea that more viable alternatives may exist (.click? .link?) and more may come in the future.

What I dislike a lot with Radix is that they increased the renewal prices quite a bit lately. You were able to renew them for less than $10 easily just a couple of years back. Now, it's more like $20+. That's a subject which bothers me, personally: What if a registry decides of a "new era" of high renewal prices for his extensions? What would people having valuable names on it do? (domainers being very impacted) What COULD they even do? Complain? Sure, but won't probably do much. You either drop your name(s) (not really an alternative), or pay whatever you're asked. This is a pretty crazy thought to me: We are very dependent on the renewal pricing, where there isn't really any rules currently.

If you want to talk "new era" impacting everything domain related, there is also some trends of people trying to set up alternative systems to ICANN. ".crypto" seems to get some traction. The company behind it is doing quite a good job, IMHO. Now, these initiatives may fail miserably in the long run. OpenNIC for example never really went anywhere. But if enough browsers were to support natively some DNS alternatives, this could be a game changer for domains. "Tokenized" domains, where you can transfer the ownership of the domain, like .crypto does, may have a future!?

Maybe, just maybe, domains in their current form vs "new domains" (new system, not ngTLDs) may be the equivalent of brick&mortar businesses vs e-commerce in the future. Maybe not.

[I hope you will find this to be part of the subject and not too much "off-topic"]

•••
I don't get your thinking. More "bad" or "low-level" buyers (buyers wanting to buy cheap or even not able to buy for much) do NOT decrease prices. Worst case scenario, it doesn't increase them either, everything stays the same. LESS buyers would make prices go down. We're not in that situation.

EDIT: Oh, my bad, sorry. By reading again, I see that your point was there is (or would be) more low-level sellers, not buyers (I misunderstood "amateur investors" at first by thinking of the buying side, not the selling one). They still have to be able to get good names, though.

Last edited:
•••
What is the topic? What's next for domain names? With the premises that a good domain name is important. A good, memorable, short, catchy, seriousness inspiring, etc. (business) NAME has always been rather important. Now on top of all this, with DOMAINS, it is the online LOCATION where people can find you (directly). So, I think you're right, it's extremely important. Hence the valuation of great domains.

It combines the previous importance of the name with what's important for real estate: "Location, location, location!". You are doing the parallel "domain name/real estate" yourself.

The demand is strong, and probably only increasing going forward. Sure. More people online, more need for good names.
The offer may also have increased due to ngTLDs (and here comes the topic raised by TNG). A lot of ngTLDs are pretty shitty. They are good for personal use, and may lower the demand for names on "good" TLDs, but can't really be used for business as they don't appear very serious. BUT, some of the "Radix" ones like "online", "site" and "website" aren't that bad, and they may be usable for serious businesses. This point tells you OFFER maybe increased because of this, and these domains may be viable alternatives. You may also want to look to work yourself with these extensions and maybe buy some. And you can keep in a corner of your head the idea that more viable alternatives may exist (.click? .link?) and more may come in the future.

What I dislike a lot with Radix is that they increased the renewal prices quite a bit lately. You were able to renew them for less than $10 easily just a couple of years back. Now, it's more like $20+. That's a subject which bothers me, personally: What if a registry decides of a "new era" of high renewal prices for his extensions? What would people having valuable names on it do? (domainers being very impacted) What COULD they even do? Complain? Sure, but won't probably do much. You either drop your name(s) (not really an alternative), or pay whatever you're asked. This is a pretty crazy thought to me: We are very dependent on the renewal pricing, where there isn't really any rules currently.

If you want to talk "new era" impacting everything domain related, there is also some trends of people trying to set up alternative systems to ICANN. ".crypto" seems to get some traction. The company behind it is doing quite a good job, IMHO. Now, these initiatives may fail miserably in the long run. OpenNIC for example never really went anywhere. But if enough browsers were to support natively some DNS alternatives, this could be a game changer for domains. "Tokenized" domains, where you can transfer the ownership of the domain, like .crypto does, may have a future!?

Maybe, just maybe, domains in their current form vs "new domains" (new system, not ngTLDs) may be the equivalent of brick&mortar businesses vs e-commerce in the future. Maybe not.

[I hope you will find this to be part of the subject and not too much "off-topic"]

You did not get it. There was a looming '.online' discussion that I saw incoming. You probably haven't read his posts lately, see the other comment made just a bit above yours. In my opinion such discussions degrade the thread quality. Yours is just fine and awaiting more replies.

Last edited:
•••

Berserker....this thread was is/was titled "A New Era in Domaining?" My comments regarding nTLD's were meant to add value to the quality of this thread just as yours were. I did have to laugh when i saw one of your domains PKR.Monster:xf.laugh:. Not that it isn't catchy and fun, but it's not "usable for a serious business". I would like to talk with you further about Radix and the more suitable domain extensions for business. Rather than discuss it here, if you're interested in talking just send me a PM. Thanks, and thanks for sharing.

•••
Thank you for sharing. The trend is changing.

•••
That 1k or 3k domain price you have been complaining about, is absolutely nothing in comparison with your other business expenses and turnover. You pay that much for one low income worker, just for one month, right?

great point. noted.

•••
Furthermore, many clients forget thinks over years. Recurring and returning customers are vital for most businesses, as it was for us. They don't remember the phone numbers, or the person they talked to, or the email or whatever - but they do remember the domains cause they have been chosen for that.

point.

good to rember

•••
Good morning.

Forget that we are domainers buying and selling domain names. This industry is subject to one important factor.

Basic economic theory. Supply and demand. Generally speaking, if there are fewer goods but more people seeking them the price would increase. If no more domain names were created from today, we could argue that prices would indeed increase. However, this would stimulate the market and would encourage those who are holding domains to release them. For a short while this would increase prices until the new supply had been exhausted. Prices would then return to a stabilized price as the numbers buying and numbers available would be known.

However, as more and more domain names are created each and every day and the numbers buying them increases it becomes more uncertain to apply the basic principle of supply and demand.

In my limited opinion I see all other not.coms riding waves from time to time as a new extension comes into vogue and FOMO encourages everyone to buy or register their own slice of the pie. However, unless you started on the wave it is likely that you have already missed the surfboard.

However, during this time regular dot.coms are bought and sold but their availability diminishes as people enter the market. If 100 people enter the business and buy or register 2 domains each that means there are now 200 fewer domains available. Demand increases but so too does the number of people buying or registering them.

Trends and fashions come and go but through my own observations dot.com continues to be desired and constantly sells at decent prices. Obviously, it helps if you have a good domain name in the first place.

I used to be 50/50 with dot.coms and not.coms but through a lack of general interest in not.coms and wildly scary renewal prices I am now at 90% dot.coms. Everyone likes dot.coms even if they also like not.coms so I'm hedging my bets but only one year at a time and dropping anything that has no interest before renewal.

It is easier to run my portfolio knowing that from this year I will not be faced with very high renewal fees.

I'm sure I knew what I wanted to say when the thoughts left my head but I'd be interested to hear others views on the basic economic principle of supply and demand when applied to domain investing in the year 2021.

Enjoy your journey and even if we can't go back to the future we can look forward with optimism as we are already on our surfboards as the next wave starts to form.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
Good morning.

Forget that we are domainers buying and selling domain names. This industry is subject to one important factor.

Basic economic theory. Supply and demand. Generally speaking, if there are fewer goods but more people seeking them the price would increase. If no more domain names were created from today, we could argue that prices would indeed increase. However, this would stimulate the market and would encourage those who are holding domains to release them. For a short while this would increase prices until the new supply had been exhausted. Prices would then return to a stabilized price as the numbers buying and numbers available would be known.

However, as more and more domain names are created each and every day and the numbers buying them increases it becomes more uncertain to apply the basic principle of supply and demand.

In my limited opinion I see all other not.coms riding waves from time to time as a new extension comes into vogue and FOMO encourages everyone to buy or register their own slice of the pie. However, unless you started on the wave it is likely that you have already missed the surfboard.

However, during this time regular dot.coms are bought and sold but their availability diminishes as people enter the market. If 100 people enter the business and buy or register 2 domains each that means there are now 200 fewer domains available. Demand increases but so too does the number of people buying or registering them.

Trends and fashions come and go but through my own observations dot.com continues to be desired and constantly sells at decent prices. Obviously, it helps if you have a good domain name in the first place.

I used to be 50/50 with dot.coms and not.coms but through a lack of general interest in not.coms and wildly scary renewal prices I am now at 90% dot.coms. Everyone likes dot.coms even if they also like not.coms so I'm hedging my bets but only one year at a time and dropping anything that has no interest before renewal.

It is easier to run my portfolio knowing that from this year I will not be faced with very high renewal fees.

I'm sure I knew what I wanted to say when the thoughts left my head but I'd be interested to hear others views on the basic economic principle of supply and demand when applied to domain investing in the year 2021.

Enjoy your journey and even if we can't go back to the future we can look forward with optimism as we are already on our surfboards as the next wave starts to form.

Regards,

Reddstagg

Agreed, but you can always make good money by getting on that surfboard too. For example I just dropped a few grand on .contact domains that I feel extremely confident of.

Will I renew them? yes, but maybe not all of them.

How long will they be kept? As long as there is positive revenue.

It is a very lucrative opportunity, to start with a new tld right at the beginning and do your selection / math well. I'll be investing the proceeds in more .com domains though.

Gold remains gold.

Last edited:
•••
.gold remains .gold.

We have to truly understand the reasoning behind the move away from dot.com by the powers that be. There are only so many for each dot.com. Plurals and hyphenated versions and maybe even hyphenated plurals lol. 1 becomes 2, becomes 4. Then what? No more can be traded only held by those fortunate to enough to have registered them first.

Then, they think...lets bring out new extensions. In essence, a keyword or indeed a dictionary word can have an unlimited amount of extensions. This means we stop becoming domainers but become speculators. Originally, the business was to get a good domain name and sell it to an enduser who was usually someone setting up a business.

Now, we are purely just traders of names and we may never sell to an enduser setting up a business. To a degree automated appraisal tools were probably more accurate before the madness started but now that we are in essence trading commodities we are asking these same tools to predict the price of hold or bitcoin when clearly the answer can never be known by humans or machines.

If you are able to sell .contact names then it is something that you should do but personally if I don't believe in something through either bitter experience or don't believe inf it from the get go I will give it a miss and leave it to others and I shall continue hand regging average dot.coms and hope to make a few bucks.

I'm in for the long haul so that could be measured in tears rather than months and I've only done as couple of laps so far so I will let you know how I got on when my race is run.

I wish you well with your endeavours.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
I'd be interested to hear others views on the basic economic principle of supply and demand when applied to domain
I've already talked about it above, but by trying to keep it short, i feel that on one hand, there has been a "dot com bubble" in the early 2000s. It is still referenced by that name to this day, and will probably continue for a long time. It kind of deeply associates the Internet with ".com". It especially associates companies doing business online and .com. So yes, there are chances ".com" will always remain ".com", and will probably always have a special place. People are willing to pay a premium price to have a good .com, and this may be here to stay.

ngTLDs increase supply. I guess it's pretty clear. But it may mainly affect other ngTLDs, and little .com domains, because of the special place of this extension.

This would indicate .com are the best investment, and the most "safe" one. A ngTLD name may be quite equal to another ngTLD name (there are different categories of ngTLDs, but a good ngTLD is probably the same as another good ngTLD). And it is also equal to any other good NEW ngTLD coming up in the future and increasing supply even more. Nothing really competes with .com, and maybe never will.

One (big) risk is decentralized DNS: "blockchain domains". That has the potential to nearly kill all the current industry as a whole. When enough people have crypto wallets on their browsers, they can also resolve domain addresses in the browser (browsers can also directly do it. Opera already does for some "crypto" extensions). A domain is essentially just associating an IP with a name. This can be done on a blockchain for a very low cost, with huge supply, ownership proof(*), ease of transfer, increased freedom and while being censorship resistant at the same time.

Decentralized internet may be the broader subject. Domain names are only a portion of it. This may come in the future.

(*) Have anyone ever though about all the "whois privacy" thing? If one day a registrar grabs some highly valuable domains from some customers, they will have a pretty hard time to prove it was THEIR domain... They can show some payments to the registrar, but nothing says it was for THAT name. The registrar can just switch it for a shitty name and claim it was the latter all along. If you have highly valuable domains, it may be a good idea to NOT use whois privacy and have your own name actually appear in the whois. In case of a change, it is at least pretty easy to prove you were the owner, and it was taken away from you.

Last edited:
•••
Good morning.

Regards,

Reddstagg
Good post online:xf.wink: my friend. My portfolio has flipped back and forth from mostly .com's, to mostly not.coms, back to mostly .coms, and now 50/50. If it weren't for the .99 cent sale for the .realty nTLD and the .99 cent sale for the .online nTLD my portfolio would be mostly .coms.

Redd, I'm a business guy, an entrepreneur and an opportunist at heart. I purchased about 900 .realty domains spending about $900 for my entire .realty portfolio, and I've now purchased about 150 .online domains for $150 because names like GunSafety.online and AffordableHomes.online actually say something, unlike extensions like .com .net .icu .xyz etc, that say absolutely nothing:xf.rolleyes: Furthermore, most of the names I own are practical, distinct and direct. "Gun Safety Online" is a perfect name for a business that teaches gun safety on the internet. Can you think of a better name? Can anyone?

Finally, i have a 50 year old degree in economics, but the theory of supply and demand is the very same as it was 50 years ago. What I know is that I have the supply, but it's up to me to create the demand. That's why I'm an entrepreneur:xf.smile:

•••
Can you think of a better name? Can anyone?
In another thread, I was asking the question if "GunSafetyOnline.com" wasn't actually better.

•••
Good post online:xf.wink: my friend. My portfolio has flipped back and forth from mostly .com's, to mostly not.coms, back to mostly .coms, and now 50/50. If it weren't for the .99 cent sale for the .realty nTLD and the .99 cent sale for the .online nTLD my portfolio would be mostly .coms.

Redd, I'm a business guy, an entrepreneur and an opportunist at heart. I purchased about 900 .realty domains spending about $900 for my entire .realty portfolio, and I've now purchased about 150 .online domains for $150 because names like GunSafety.online and AffordableHomes.online actually say something, unlike extensions like .com .net .icu .xyz etc, that say absolutely nothing:xf.rolleyes: Furthermore, most of the names I own are practical, distinct and direct. "Gun Safety Online" is a perfect name for a business that teaches gun safety on the internet. Can you think of a better name? Can anyone?

Finally, i have a 50 year old degree in economics, but the theory of supply and demand is the very same as it was 50 years ago. What I know is that I have the supply, but it's up to me to create the demand. That's why I'm an entrepreneur:xf.smile:
I wonder what the French word is for Entrepreneur???

You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!!!

Not blow up the whole bloody van!!!

One or two is fine. Three or four is called a portfolio. Hundreds is called domainititis. There is only one cure. SALES.

If anyone can do it you can. It will be hard work though. Get ready for the ride.

I'm sticking to dot.coms. Easier to sell with much less effort.

We shall have to come back in early 2022 and see how we got one.

We can go back to the future.realty

Redd

•••

That 50 year degree in economics has probably gone a little stale by now I think

In the last 12 months there have only been 46 .online reported sales

18 of those look to be end user sales

With only one 2 word end user .online sale - And that was for $100 and might not even be a end user :xf.laugh::ROFL: - did not check

easypayment.online 100 USD 2020-10-09 Sedo

There are also the below, but I don't speak German....and did not look up their meaning.....

immobilienbewertung.online 2,708 USD 2020-02-17 Sedo
datenschutzerklaerung.online 437 USD 2020-02-11 Sedo

But hey I what do I know......I don't have an economic degree....

Last edited:
•••
That 50 year degree in economics has probably gone a little stale by now I think

In the last 12 months there have only been 46 .online reported sales

18 of those look to be end user sales

With only one 2 word end user .online sale - And that was for $100 and might not even be a end user :xf.laugh::ROFL: - did not check

easypayment.online 100 USD 2020-10-09 Sedo

There are also the below, but I don't speak German....and did not look up their meaning.....

immobilienbewertung.online 2,708 USD 2020-02-17 Sedo
datenschutzerklaerung.online 437 USD 2020-02-11 Sedo

But hey I what do I know......I don't have an economic degree....

Don't worry. Economics is mainly theory and it has been argued back and forth for thousands of years.

I think the point to remember is that if one sells for in excess of the total purchase price then everything after that is pure profit. As the past is not always the best indicator for future performance he will have to do what we all do and that is keep his fingers crossed.

Theharshrealtyoflifetoday.com

•••
In another thread, I was asking the question if "GunSafetyOnline.com" wasn't actually better.

The domain GunSafetyOnline.com has 15 letters/characters in it's name that's left of the dot regardless of the extension. Whereas, GunSafety.online has just 9 letters/characters left of the dot, and according to most everyone in this crazy business/industry fewer words, letters and characters is always better. Besides, i don't need to convince domainers like you that it's better, i only need to convince a common sense entrepreneur like myself that it's better:xf.smile:

•••
The domain GunSafetyOnline.com has 15 letters/characters in it's name that's left of the dot regardless of the extension. Whereas, GunSafety.online has just 9 letters/characters left of the dot, and according to most everyone in this crazy business/industry fewer words, letters and characters is always better. Besides, i don't need to convince domainers like you that it's better, i only need to convince a common sense entrepreneur like myself that it's better:xf.smile:

One of the greatest domainers of this or anytime once said of ntlds that they still have to make some sense. Therefore each has their place.

Highriseflats.penguin does not make much sense to anyone but king.penguin would be ok as would highrise.flats.

In my limited opinion only I would stick to .online, .life, .today. .world, .global and very few others.

Sticking any good keyword or dictionary word with .tv doesn't work unless it is buytattycheapplasticgoods.tv

Or it is for products or services that are sold primarily on television.

Dollars in the bank is the only proof needed.

•••
left of the dot
Yeah, and if someone launches a ".safetyonline" TLD, you can do it with 3 :xf.laugh:
Getting the ".com" is only ever 3 letters more, counting over the total (the one which really counts now that there are ngTLDs pretty long). But OK, fair enough. ".online" isn't bad. Just almost 3 times the renewal fee, though. And it's no .com when it comes to finding customers. But maybe you are going to change this.

You have to get rid of this stock before renewal, or it's going to be expensive for not much.

You know what's funny. Not long ago, there was a thread for "gobet.com" which sold for a huge amount. The ".bet" extension does exist! The guys didn't seem to have tried to purchase the "go.bet" domain. This may tell us something.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, and if someone launches a ".safetyonline" TLD, you can do it with 3 :xf.laugh:
Getting the ".com" is only ever 3 letters more, counting over the total (the one which really counts now that there are ngTLDs pretty long). But OK, fair enough. ".online" isn't bad. Just almost 3 times the renewal fee, though. And it's no .com when it comes to finding customers. But maybe you are going to change this.

You have to get rid of this stock before renewal, or it's going to be expensive for not much.

You know what's funny. Not long ago, there was a thread for "gobet.com" which sold for a huge amount. The ".bet" extension does exist! The guys didn't seem to have tried to purchase the "go.bet" domain. This may tell us something.

And I've owned GoBet ie since last March. I'm still waiting for the knock on the door. Show me the money.

•••
Don't worry. Economics is mainly theory and it has been argued back and forth for thousands of years.

I think the point to remember is that if one sells for in excess of the total purchase price then everything after that is pure profit. As the past is not always the best indicator for future performance he will have to do what we all do and that is keep his fingers crossed.

Theharshrealtyoflifetoday.com
It was more geared towards the "supply and demand" part of the post.......

With domains if you don't take past performance of an extension into account then you will build up a big supply in an extension with little demand.....

I am all for trying new extensions, I have a few spread around but I will not go overboard as I want to spread my risk.....my choice......others can do what they want......

Looking at past performance as part (not all) of the decision making process can be beneficial....the below spring to mind straight away

Which keywords sell
How often do they sell
How much did they sell for
how many domains have sold in a particular extension

every bit of data helps in the end......

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back