Dynadot

A few reasons the resale market has declined, do you agree?

NameSilo
Watch
Several times I lost buyers where as an example I am selling keywordkeyword.com for say 2k but they end up registering keywordkeyword.abc or xyz etc for under $100 because numerous extension alternatives are listed on the GD reg page. It's one of the top reasons the resale market has declined, imo.

Another reason is Godaddy auctions. Has anyone else noticed sometimes when you go to reg a name GD will say sorry it's taken but it is listed on auction however giving a notice saying words such as this "if you do not want to compete against other buyers you can buy it in a different extension such as shown below!

That's a huge negative making it appear like GD favors a new registration instead of a sale.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I disagree with the resale market is declining, I have received more inquiries now then I ever have

I do agree with the :poop: extensions being marketed are taking away some sales, but the majority who go for them probably do not have the budget anyway

I also believe all the new extensions will only increase the value of good .coms

•••
if you have good domains even two words than always received inquiries.
in 1.5 month i have sold 3 domains total amount $1100 and you know all .com and all the cost is only $3.
one of my domain .com was sold at price $800 at godaddy and all other extension was available that time so buyer can buy .net, .co or .org but buyer prefer .com.

•••
If you think the resale marketing is declining, then you need to look at the quality of your names.

•••
I believe the #1 reason is not economic, or the lack of market demand for brands. The #1 reason is that the registrars and registries are complicit in hiding the valid contact details of registrants since May 2018 due to a ham-fisted implementation of GDPR compliance.

In response, Epik is delivering in time for ICANN Kobe an open platform for verified WHOIS registrations where verified owners can update their WHOIS records. This can be done either by registrars or verified registrants. The project is being staged here:

http://WhoQ.com

It will also work for Blockchain domains.

In the meantime, if your registrar is forcing your WHOIS to be masked, change registrars. Unfortunately anyone owning a domain name from Donuts has their WHOIS masked and there is no official way to overcome it, which is what forced the development of WhoQ.com.

•••
Obviously the factors you've mentioned soften demand a little .. but I really don't think it's affecting things as much as you seem to think. By contrast the Internet is still growing and there are far more new start-ups needing brands each day than there are companies dissolving and letting their domains expire. Growth isn't as strong in terms of percentage compared to years ago .. but there still is growth.

Also .. GD always messes around with what they show as alternate choices .. in fact .. often what you see is not what everyone else sees. Here in Canada they continue to suggest .co over .com.

It's important to note that the year over year profit margin GoDaddy and other registrars make with ngTLD's is usually quite a bit more than with .com's .. so it's not really a big conspiracy that they would push potential clients towards alternative TLD's .. it just really sucks for us domainers! lol

•••
I also believe all the new extensions will only increase the value of good .coms

I disagree on this part more supply always mean lower prices. you will have much higher demand on your .com domains if there are no other competing extensions.

Last edited:
•••
The majority of people who want to sell a domain, have parking landers in place, so whois blocks are not really going to stop that.

Lower quality inventory, and .net are greatly affected by gtld extensions.

Otherwise for quality domains, it is business as usual.

•••
Has anyone else noticed sometimes when you go to reg a name GD will say sorry it's taken but it is listed on auction however giving a notice saying words such as this "if you do not want to compete against other buyers you can buy it in a different extension such as shown below!

That's a huge negative making it appear like GD favors a new registration instead of a sale.
The registrars are convincing many people that garbage TLD's are as good as .COM

People who are serious and have a little money will go for the .COM, but many end users are going for crap extensions because they dont understand the diff between .COM and other TLD's.

I have a two word .com I am selling for $688, which is fair. Guy came in offering $125. Went back and forth for a few days, guy would not go above $250 and then said he was going to buy the name in the ".online" extension instead. :xf.rolleyes:

•••
The registrars are convincing many people that garbage TLD's are as good as .COM

People who are serious and have a little money will go for the .COM, but many end users are going for crap extensions because they dont understand the diff between .COM and other TLD's.

I have a two word .com I am selling for $688, which is fair. Guy came in offering $125. Went back and forth for a few days, guy would not go above $250 and then said he was going to buy the name in the ".online" extension instead. :xf.rolleyes:
Agreed and it’s probably like $1.99, the low end market is saturated, it is better to focus on industry keywords, and shorter stuff but at this point it’s all moot, as it is grossly overpriced in competitive aftermarket auctions, you would be bidding yourself into a hole. The GTLD carnage will continue as more extensions will be released as they are a cash cow for all involved behind the scenes.

•••
Epik has absolutely the smoothest and best, most useful and hassle free implementation of whois for this. Was recommending it not long ago too. I've actually been concerned about this issue lately myself, for ones I don't keep private that is.

Last edited:
•••
.....I have a two word .com I am selling for $688, which is fair. Guy came in offering $125. Went back and forth for a few days, guy would not go above $250 and then said he was going to buy the name in the ".online" extension instead. :xf.rolleyes:

I also had that happen (similar scenario) several times which I was aware of and I am sure far more often than I knew about.

•••
I may be an exception but I can't remember one single time when I engaged with a potential buyer and they mentioned buying another name available in a nTLD as leverage. A .net, maybe that happened once or twice and that is a long time ago.

I should also mention that I don't use GD as primary registrar, nor list names for auction there. While they have exposure among end users, as mentioned above they are also competing against you and undermining your sales each time they suggest alternatives. Maybe you'd be better off setting up your own landers and not listing names at certain venues if they use your leads to promote somebody else's products.

But in my opinion those people you dealt with are tire-kickers and they never were to spend 2K for your domains anyway. It's not really business lost.
Some registrars are really pushing nTLDs and yet the uptake is not so great - they are tanking while .com is still growing.

•••
Several times I lost buyers where as an example I am selling keywordkeyword.com for say 2k but they end up registering keywordkeyword.abc or xyz etc for under $100 because numerous extension alternatives are listed on the GD reg page. It's one of the top reasons the resale market has declined, imo.

Another reason is Godaddy auctions. Has anyone else noticed sometimes when you go to reg a name GD will say sorry it's taken but it is listed on auction however giving a notice saying words such as this "if you do not want to compete against other buyers you can buy it in a different extension such as shown below!

You already had this thread a couple of months ago:

Sadly domaining is real negative versus its hey-days, imo. Do you agree?

https://www.namepros.com/threads/sa...versus-its-hey-days-imo-do-you-agree.1115503/

My comments would be the same.

As far as whois. You can simply have a contact form or something like that on your landing page.

Most of the time the issue will be the domains, people are looking for other excuses if things aren't going well. People with good domains don't have these issues.

•••
With eCommerce boom and too many mini Shopify stores, most end users do not care about having the perfect domain name, if name they want is taken then they can add "-" or number or pick different available one.

The true potential high paying buyers are startups and brands, those will usually invent a name or buy from brandable names markets like Brandbucket, some of them will prefer highly brandable keyword domains, or premium one word names.

Thats why you should focus on high quality brandable names or premium ones,

Last edited:
•••
Selling for a few hundred dollars each might be easy but I rarely will let a domain of mine go for under 1000. and usually for not much under 2000.

So...one person’s definition of “all is well” might not be the same as another’s.
Every month you might think things are slowing. And then suddenly you get great sales.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back