IT.COM

opinion A few companies that believe in the future of new gTLD's...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
We hear a lot around the forums from people who see no future in the new gTLD program. They'll never catch on! is the battle cry, as if people are either incapable or unwilling to use or remember anything besides the almighty .com.

But what do the big wigs have to say?

Well, here are just a sampling of the international powerhouses that are each getting their own gTLD/s -- if that answers the question !!

Disney (.abc)
NFL (.nfl)
NBA (.nba)
MLB (.mlb)
Marriott (.marriott)
Hyatt (.hyatt)
Intel (.intel)
Visa (.visa)
FedEx (.fedex)
Netflix (.netflix)
Nike (.nike)
Lego (.lego)
Mattel (.mattel)
Best Buy (.bestbuy)
Jaguar Land Rover (.jaguar .landrover)
Fiat Chrysler (.chrysler .ferrari .fiat .jeep)
Discover (.discover)
Toyota (.toyota .lexus)
Honda (.honda)
Kia (.kia)
Citigroup (.citi)
Hitachi (.hitachi)
Xerox (.xerox)
Staples (.staples)
Gallup (.gallup)
GoDaddy (.godaddy)
Honeywell (.honeywell)
American Family Insurance (.amfam)
State Farm (.statefarm)
Progressive (.progressive)
Esurance (.esurance)
SC Johnson (.scjohnson)
Symantec (.norton .symantec)
Tiffany & Co. (.tiffany)
JCPenney (.jcp)
T.J. Maxx (.tjmaxx .tjx)
Macys (.macys)
L'Oréal (.makeup .beauty)
Microsoft (.microsoft .office .skype .windows .xbox)
etc

Do those names mean anything to you?

It would seem that many here think that these companies will never even use or advertise their fancy new URL's... that the "general public" still won't be aware of alternative URL's (gasp!!) even 5 years from now.

Say whaaa?!

How could they NOT? In the next few years, we will all be bombarded with new gTLD's from all directions, including many of the ones listed above.

If .com is still The Future, and the future of the new gTLD program is so uncertain (or doomed from the start, as many would argue), why is it that so many of the largest companies in the world are jumping aboard, rather than waiting it out from the sidelines? It's a very expensive endeavor, and it's not like anyone else is going to scoop up .NFL or .NETFLIX. Clearly, they aren't buying the whole .com is all that matters! hogwash.

Of course, many .com die-hards have spent a decade (or two!) investing solely in .com, so it is not surprising that they are slow to realize/accept what's happening. But the truth is, the tipping point will soon be upon us.

No longer will the NFL much care about Dolphins.com. They'll use Dolphins.NFL anyway.
Making a movie? There is no need to have the .com. Simply get the MovieTitle.movie.
Do you specialize in auto repair? Find a cool .repair and call it a day!
You get the idea!

It's way past time to admit that .com's are already losing value en masse. If you're still a .com die-hard, it's not too late, but the optimal time to re-evaluate your strategy has long since passed. You'll need to adapt sooner than later, or you will almost certainly go down with the ship.

Don't go down with the ship !

See more delegated strings here:
https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey friends,

when discussing new gTLDS and their future, one should really understand one thing about new gTLDs which is most important imo..they are semantic oriented. Think of it as some analogue of cc TLDs...when we see .fr at the end of the name, everybody knows that there is a webpage which primarily is oriented at French users..when you see .de, we know it is most likely about German users. So cc TLDs define geo location and works very well in this.

New gTLDs define content of webpage from semantic point of view..when you see .cars, you know that most likely the webpage is connected to cars. When you see .stream, you know that there will be some live content. Etc.

This is huge change in internet, and its scope has nothing to do with past and domains like .biz, .tel, and few others which are often used as examples here of how poor new gTLDs will perform in future. Situation now is very different. As I wrote in some others discussion and will re-iterate it here, huge companies like Google and Amazon are now getting massively into area of new gTLDs, and are investing heavily And it is not happening that Google does not know what it is doing, that Amazon does not know what it is doing, etc. Google will be selling and managing lot of new gTLDs in near future as one can see here:
New gTLDS are huge opportunity and huge equalizers in my opinion[/B][/COLOR]..I say it because you do not need hundreds of thousands of dollars in order to get high quality names, like one needs in .com. You can be student on limited budget and still do well when you are serious about it. It is not quantity, but quality of the names which counts. When you select carefully, you can still find high quality names, for as low as 20-30 USD, so with some search effort, everybody who is interested and committed to that can get, lets say, 10 good names for USD 300. This is starting to change now. as lot of registries started to price good names with high renewals, but it is still possible.

Of course, trade dynamic here is totally different then in .com..renewals are different, the pool of comparable data is still only growing, everything is on its beginning..this makes many results unpredictable. But it is this unpredictability which can give in few years huge ROI on cleverly made investments. IMO when one invests in new gTLDs, only very good names are worth to invest in. They are also not suitable for quick flipping at the moment, as lot of new extension are less then 1 year in GA, and market is just starting developing for them. So if someone has domaining strategy which is to buy and to flip quickly to earn few bucks (btw, I have nothing against it) then new gTLDs are not really suitable at the moment. For new gTLDs, one need to be able to select them carefully so there are great names with standard renewals (no crazy premiums), to do a lot of work and be prepared (and have finances) to hold them longer, then the date of first renewal, if necessary. So it is more kind of "collecting" approach with lot of work afterwards oriented to future sales. Some of the people here were very lucky to register some really great names, so I wish great sales to all of them :)

Spot On lolwarrior! .comie "experts" know better than the most successful organizations on the planet. Verisign an oldie with lots of skin in the game has no idea what a mistake it just made. A lot of .coms were on the shelf for 10+ years before they became "desirable"

•••
Haven't missed much. Started in 1999. Not stuck in the dated .com era. It will be a very effective marketing strategy.
I promote what makes a Great digital Identity .com or not. Current reality is obvious even if your not paying attention and a huge waste of peoples time to try to make a point with a very selective view of it. So put it out there JBLions what's your forecast?

•••
New "G" registration as a group, 2 years, more than 21 million, It took .com 15 years to reach 20 million as the only "viable choice"at the time.

you make the mistake of thinking numbers don't lie. Let's look at this in more detail.

1.First of all 10-20 years ago the internet was still in fairly early stages. People didn't register as many domains as today.

2. Who is registering these and why? It turns out that over 50% of these are regs from speculators while much less than 50% of .com are from domainers. .xyz alone has 6 million regs, 3 million of these were given away to domainers. Many of the others are protective registrations. If you look for .xyz domains indexed in Google you will see that a lot of them redirect to the .com version. They are not being used.

As a group alternatives HAVE OUTPERFORMED .com,.net combined

But only of you define outperformance as having more registration numbers which is a poor metric. The problem is that you are using metrics that don't tell us much about what is really going on.

How many of the leading websites are .com? How many are .tk? According to registration numbers for 4 .com sales and 4 developed .com websites there should be 1 .tk sale and 1 .tk website.

You can see that this metric doesn't work well in the real world. In reality we have a total of 5 .tk sales on namebio and 304k .com sales listed. We have 60k .com sales vs. 1 .tk sale.

If we look at registration numbers alone we would think .tk is a competitor of .com

If we look at the total number of sales for all extensions listed on NB we see that there have been 420k sales.

So we can clearly see that the majority of end-user sales are .com

How were sales in the past year?

There were 74k .com sales and a total of 94k sales.

20 million regs doesn't mean much when .tk alone gets more than that. If you look at namestat you see that a lot of these "successful" extensions don't grow anymore or even decline. There are massive drops happening already.

The only reason why there still is some growth in the total number is because extensions like .top and others are giving away so many domains for 40 cents.

Last edited:
•••
.xyz alone has 6 million regs, 3 million of these were given away to domainers.

Good luck selling that, 3 million domains given away. :rolleyes:

•••
•••
•••
You have stated that 3 million .xyz were given away, this isn't true but rather propaganda.

I don't think it's propaganda. As far as I remember, before the 1 cent promotions .xyz had around 3 million. Then with the promotion millions of domains were added and they went to 6 million. Technically 1 cent promotions aren't free but in practice these were freebies. I don't know the exact number that was added because of the promotion. Maybe a part of these were added after the 1 cent promotion when they cost less than ICANN fee.

I don't think it's wrong to say millions were given away.

I think it's propaganda when you promote the registration numbers without mentioning how many of these were given away.

The “1 penny” promotion from .XYZ is finally over. Next, from June 3th to June 30th, .XYZ domains will be 15-22¢ each on various registrars (not all registrars will apply this discount but I will discuss this later).

It seems the XYZ registry used millions in marketing to promote their TLD for their second anniversary and the results of this insane “1 penny” promotion are finally in: More than 2 million .XYZ domain names were registered in the past 2 days. That’s a pretty impressive number especially considering the previous record was set at 238,616 registrations in one single day (.TOP TLD).

http://domainative.com/xyz-adds-more-than-800000-domains-in-2-days/

Last edited:
•••
I don't think it's propaganda. As far as I remember, before the 1 cent promotions .xyz had around 3 million. Then with the promotion millions of domains were added and they went to 6 million. Technically 1 cent promotions aren't free but in practice these were freebies. I don't know the exact number that was added because of the promotion. Maybe a part of these were added after the 1 cent promotion when they cost less than ICANN fee.

I don't think it's wrong to say millions were given away.

I think it's propaganda when you promote the registration numbers without mentioning how many of these were given away.

http://domainative.com/xyz-adds-more-than-800000-domains-in-2-days/

I'm not debating the fact that they were cheap, only you saying they were free which is incorrect.

Like you said above, quote, "Technically 1 cent promotions aren't free".

Also I don't think I've promoted their reg. numbers since the cheap promotion, not sure where you're going with that...

•••
I'm not debating the fact that they were cheap, only you saying they were free which is incorrect.

Propaganda is distorting the truth. I don't think that I did that, quite the opposite.

Also I don't think I've promoted their reg. numbers since the cheap promotion, not sure where you're going with that..

When I said you I didn't mean you but was referring to the registry or anyone else promoting the numbers.

•••
Don't mean to interject, but they were free, remember when they were put in people's accounts without their knowledge at network solutions, close to a million I vaguely recollect. Google it.

Last edited:
•••
Propaganda is distorting the truth. I don't think that I did that, quite the opposite

Dude just chill, you always go back and change what you said. XYZ is free, then you said not actually and then there was people that don't use .com are rebels and rule breakers and then you changed that.

I'm simply stating what you've said and my opinion and then you change it.

Propaganda; "information, especially of a biased or misleading nature"

•••
Dude just chill, you always go back and change what you said. XYZ is free, then you said not actually and then there was people that don't use .com are rebels and rule breakers and then you changed that.

I'm simply stating what you've said and my opinion and then you change it.

Propaganda; "information, especially of a biased or misleading nature"

I am not changing it, 1 cent regs are freebies for me.

Some might claim that they are not but this is just misleading and a distortion of what is actually happening.

•••
but they were free, remember when they were put in people's accounts without their knowledge at network solutions, close to a million I vaguely recollect. Google it.

I remember it well but I never had this happen to me and I think your one million number is way off track. It took them a long time to hit the one million mark, not from freebies at NS!

Anyway that's old news as it was long ago and those domains have dropped by now unless they wanted to keep them. ;)

•••
•••
Your words, not mine.

Now back to free? ;)

I'm gonna have go get some tall boots if I keep reading this thread as it's getting deep! LOL

You have no arguments left... You are quoting me without context. What I said:

Technically 1 cent promotions aren't free but in practice these were freebies

Nothing will change the fact that .xyz have desperately tried to inflate their registration stats as much as they could. .top is doing the same. It's a race to the bottom.

None of these seemingly successful extensions are really successful so far.

Last edited:
•••
I remember it well but I never had this happen to me and I think your one million number is way off track. It took them a long time to hit the one million mark, not from freebies at NS!

Anyway that's old news as it was long ago and those domains have dropped by now unless they wanted to keep them. ;)

Around 300K-350K free .xyz domains were stuffed into peoples accounts (through netsol) without their approval. But yeah it's old news. ;)

Last edited:
•••
You have no arguments left...

Nothing will change the fact that .xyz have desperately tried to inflate their registration stats as much as they could. .top is doing the same. It's a race to the bottom.

I have plenty of debate left, not argument. XYZ and TOP are just smarter at marketing than the others, sorry you have an issue with that.

What else do you want to debate?

•••
Around 300K-350K free .xyz domains were stuffed into peoples accounts (through netsol) without their approval. But yeah it's old news. ;)

Proof of that total? Link maybe... :)

•••
•••
•••
I have plenty of debate left, not argument. XYZ and TOP are just smarter at marketing than the others, sorry you have an issue with that.

Smarter because they have a bloated zone file and keep losing money doing that? :laugh:

I can add lines to a zone file for free with much less effort and expense.

I have a new startup for my newest creation .uni the extension for the entire universe. I figured out that having speculators add domains to the zone manually is just too inefficient. Instead I have scripts doing that for me. We have already the largest zone file not just in the world but in the universe and we keep adding billions of randomly generated domains to the zone each day. Without any doubt we are the best extension that exists today. The numbers don't lie.

Last edited:
•••
Yep, no proof thanks..
No definite proof of the exact number no. But there is definite proof that they stuffed tons of free domains into people's accounts. In the end it doesn't matter whether they gave away 250K or 350K domains. It doesn't change the fact that they did it, and without any approval of the domain owner.

NS_Loyal_Customer_Email_24th_May.png

Last edited:
•••
No definite proof of the exact number no. But there is definite proof that they stuffed tons of free domains into people's accounts. In the end it doesn't matter whether they gave away 250K or 350K domains. It doesn't change the fact that they did it, and without any approval of the domain owner.

NS_Loyal_Customer_Email_24th_May.png

This is such old news why do you keep posting about it? Geesh!

•••
Smarter because they have a bloated zone file and keep losing money doing that? :laugh:

I can add lines to a zone file for free with much less effort and expense.

I have a new startup for my newest creation .uni the extension for the entire universe. I figured out that having speculators add domains to the zone manually is just too inefficient. Instead I have scripts doing that for me. We have already the largest zone file not just in the world but in the universe and we keep adding billions of randomly generated domains to the zone each day. Without any doubt we are the best extension that exists today. The numbers don't lie.

.uni startup, whats the link as I don't have a clue what you're saying...

Last edited:
•••
This is such old news why do you keep posting about it? Geesh!
Yes I also said it's old news. I wouldn't have bothered with it but your "no proof" comment to this "old news" made me reply.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back