IT.COM

opinion A few companies that believe in the future of new gTLD's...

NameSilo
Watch
We hear a lot around the forums from people who see no future in the new gTLD program. They'll never catch on! is the battle cry, as if people are either incapable or unwilling to use or remember anything besides the almighty .com.

But what do the big wigs have to say?

Well, here are just a sampling of the international powerhouses that are each getting their own gTLD/s -- if that answers the question !!

Disney (.abc)
NFL (.nfl)
NBA (.nba)
MLB (.mlb)
Marriott (.marriott)
Hyatt (.hyatt)
Intel (.intel)
Visa (.visa)
FedEx (.fedex)
Netflix (.netflix)
Nike (.nike)
Lego (.lego)
Mattel (.mattel)
Best Buy (.bestbuy)
Jaguar Land Rover (.jaguar .landrover)
Fiat Chrysler (.chrysler .ferrari .fiat .jeep)
Discover (.discover)
Toyota (.toyota .lexus)
Honda (.honda)
Kia (.kia)
Citigroup (.citi)
Hitachi (.hitachi)
Xerox (.xerox)
Staples (.staples)
Gallup (.gallup)
GoDaddy (.godaddy)
Honeywell (.honeywell)
American Family Insurance (.amfam)
State Farm (.statefarm)
Progressive (.progressive)
Esurance (.esurance)
SC Johnson (.scjohnson)
Symantec (.norton .symantec)
Tiffany & Co. (.tiffany)
JCPenney (.jcp)
T.J. Maxx (.tjmaxx .tjx)
Macys (.macys)
L'OrΓ©al (.makeup .beauty)
Microsoft (.microsoft .office .skype .windows .xbox)
etc

Do those names mean anything to you?

It would seem that many here think that these companies will never even use or advertise their fancy new URL's... that the "general public" still won't be aware of alternative URL's (gasp!!) even 5 years from now.

Say whaaa?!

How could they NOT? In the next few years, we will all be bombarded with new gTLD's from all directions, including many of the ones listed above.

If .com is still The Future, and the future of the new gTLD program is so uncertain (or doomed from the start, as many would argue), why is it that so many of the largest companies in the world are jumping aboard, rather than waiting it out from the sidelines? It's a very expensive endeavor, and it's not like anyone else is going to scoop up .NFL or .NETFLIX. Clearly, they aren't buying the whole .com is all that matters! hogwash.

Of course, many .com die-hards have spent a decade (or two!) investing solely in .com, so it is not surprising that they are slow to realize/accept what's happening. But the truth is, the tipping point will soon be upon us.

No longer will the NFL much care about Dolphins.com. They'll use Dolphins.NFL anyway.
Making a movie? There is no need to have the .com. Simply get the MovieTitle.movie.
Do you specialize in auto repair? Find a cool .repair and call it a day!
You get the idea!

It's way past time to admit that .com's are already losing value en masse. If you're still a .com die-hard, it's not too late, but the optimal time to re-evaluate your strategy has long since passed. You'll need to adapt sooner than later, or you will almost certainly go down with the ship.

Don't go down with the ship !

See more delegated strings here:
https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like renewals less than about $50 max...

Even at $50 it can't be done. They're a rip off. And <$50 ones will be harder to sell. Let's be optimistic that 2.5% of a new g portfolio sells every year. That's a 40 year average wait to sell any given domain. With even a $50 renewal how are you gonna make money on that? Especially when there are so many alternatives.

•••
•••
Even at $50 it can't be done. They're a rip off

I'm speaking generally of course. There are bargains to be had at $10 renewal fee but not many. The registrars have cut us out.

•••
From my experience until now i find a simple rule. If your reselling price of a domain can't even $1 more than renewal fees, then say goodbye.

•••
Even at $50 it can't be done. They're a rip off. And <$50 ones will be harder to sell. Let's be optimistic that 2.5% of a new g portfolio sells every year. That's a 40 year average wait to sell any given domain. With even a $50 renewal how are you gonna make money on that? Especially when there are so many alternatives.
On a large scale, yes, I think $50 renewals would kill off most passive portfolios pretty fast! (wait, is that their plan?!)

$50 is the high end... and you would have to be INCREDIBLY picky when choosing which ones to buy in the first place!

But let's face it, there are plenty of ngtld's without $50 renewals. $20-30 is not at all uncommon, and provided you don't own thousands of them just sitting around gathering dust, it can still work, if you're making sales (note: this may require some effort, besides just sitting on them like a hen).

The hard part is, of course, making sales.... and we can't expect as many now, as two or five years from now.... so, invest accordingly. It should be understood that even here in 2016, we are the pioneers. If you don't have the money to RISK, don't go hog wild registering every good combo, because there are scads of good combos out there now! Focus on THE best, and ONLY if you can afford the RISK.

I hope you catch my thought. Sure,there exist killers ngtld's and i am sure there will be nice sales at near future. I am just being the lawyer of the devil, as Kate is not here :)
Hahaha oh no what have you done?!

Nahh, I doubt she feels like going in circles anymore. But, for anyone looking for a ride, this merry-go-round never stops...

Last edited:
•••
Hahaha oh no what have you done?!

Nahh, I doubt she feels like going in circles anymore. But, for anyone looking for a ride, this merry-go-round never stops...
Nah, i love her, just a humorous moment, nothing more.

•••
The comparison of brands' owning their own nTLDs is completely irrelevant to everyone on namepros who invests in nTLDs. None of those companies are using .vip or .top, nor are any people able to invest in .bmw or .landrover. Don't try to make something out of nothing

•••
The comparison of brands' owning their own nTLDs is completely irrelevant to everyone on namepros who invests in nTLDs. None of those companies are using .vip or .top, nor are any people able to invest in .bmw or .landrover. Don't try to make something out of nothing
Bzzzzz!

You too are missing the point. Please refer to the CliffsNotes version of the post and check back in as necessary.

FYI it has something to do with the snowball effect....

Sorry folks, my OP might actually make you think for yourself a little!

Last edited:
•••
this may require some effort, besides just sitting on them like a hen

The tricky part here is they get no or very little organic traffic so they're a hard sell.

•••
Bzzzzz!

You too are missing the point. Please refer to the CliffsNotes version of the post and check back in as necessary.

FYI it has something to do with the snowball effect....

Sorry folks, my OP might actually make you think for yourself a little!
So because they invested in it, it makes it a good idea...

1800 Flowers bought flowers.mobi for $200k, was that automatically a trail blazing investment?

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
lets be real all the threads like this and blogs posts like this are started because someone invested in new gTLD's and can't stand that they have not caught on, and wish and pray upon a star that other domainers throw money at them so they rise in value, so their investments stop being worthless. There is no other reason to constant moan and pretend other domainers are losing out.

•••
You will find its all just brand protection, they are not buying them to rebrand the company, they will want them the same way as would want the .co.uk, .de, .com.au, .ca etc etc etc

•••
You will find its all just brand protection,
I don't get why this would be "brand protection" ?
Who else would be allowed to register gTLD TM's like this ?
I mean is Intel scared that someone else is getting .intel ?
Did Visa spend 185K because they were scared American Express would register .visa ?

NFL (.nfl)
NBA (.nba)
MLB (.mlb)
Marriott (.marriott)
Hyatt (.hyatt)
Intel (.intel)
Visa (.visa)
FedEx (.fedex)
Netflix (.netflix)
Nike (.nike)
Lego (.lego)
Mattel (.mattel)
Best Buy (.bestbuy)
etc etc etc...

Last edited:
•••

Obviously there's no point arguing, but I know I'm not the only one who's noticed this trend.... happy to hear that your experience has been different. Hopefully it continues.

•••
It's way past time to admit that .com's are already losing value en masse.
No sane large business will operate a newGTLD without the corresponding .com.
Maybe start ups, mom and pops for the generics TLDs such as Dallas.repair but if they grow the leakage to DallasRepair.com will be too much to stomach. And just how much are these people going to pay for Dallas.repair
LONG TAIL .coms have lost value but premium one word, two words, shorts have and will only increase in the confusion created by these gtlds

•••
The "brand protection" argument is 100% senseless.

".com is as desirable as ever" is simply 100% WRONG.

It's the same tired droll from .com fanboys. Unfortunately it's not based on reality...

•••
LONG TAIL .coms have lost value but premium one word, two words, shorts have and will only increase in the confusion created by these gtlds

Sure, the BEST of the BEST will be fine. Everything else? Downward spiral. And that does not just mean "long tail .coms".

•••
sounds like a trademark nightmare to me.

•••
.....such as Dallas.repair but if they grow the leakage to DallasRepair.com will be too much to stomach.

That issue will evaporate once the general public gains awareness about new gtld's..... something that will happen in part due to brands like the ones mentioned prior using new extensions.

MLB.TV very much helped drive .tv awareness.

In similar fashion, when BIG brands like the MLB and NFL convert to .mlb and .nfl, that will drive awareness about the new gtld's as a whole. People WILL learn!

sounds like a trademark nightmare to me.

I'm not sure I understand. No one outside of the NFL for example can register a .NFL domain.

This actually helps companies. They can care even less about squatters and playing whack-a-mole with all sorts of domains. All they need to do is build their .brand network and skip .com entirely. Then there's no question: if you go to an official .NFL site (for example), you'll not have to worry about being scammed. VISA will use .visa for official sites..... etc! It's soooo simple.

Last edited:
•••
I don't get why this would be "brand protection" ?
Who else would be allowed to register gTLD TM's like this ?
I mean is Intel scared that someone else is getting .intel ?
Did Visa spend 185K because they were scared American Express would register .visa ?

NFL (.nfl)
NBA (.nba)
MLB (.mlb)
Marriott (.marriott)
Hyatt (.hyatt)
Intel (.intel)
Visa (.visa)
FedEx (.fedex)
Netflix (.netflix)
Nike (.nike)
Lego (.lego)
Mattel (.mattel)
Best Buy (.bestbuy)
etc etc etc...

Exactly, this is my point...who else would want the name? The fact that its "Intel" or "NFL" is not going help a domainer in any way as its trademarked. Its just pointless for domainers to discuss names like these as we cant register them anyway because of the TM issues. The only factor is whether it will affect other extensions, which it wont.

It makes sense for Intel to grab .INTEL, but it doesnt mean they will use it as their main website...most of them will just be redirects.

•••
TLDs such as Dallas.repair but if they grow the leakage to DallasRepair.com will be too much to stomach.
I wonder how much DallasRepair.com traffic will eventually leak to Dallas.repair... ;)
That Texan better buy the matching gTLD before it will be too much to stomach !

•••
There are parallels between .MOBI and new extensions when it comes to investing, believers, big companies behind it, etc.

Domain investors wasted a lot of money. I know looking back now it seems ridiculous that .MOBI was going to revolutionize the domain space, but at the time many people were convinced.

Here is a post from an article which could be applied to investing in new extensions today...

http://www.domainbits.com/mobi

Hey Admin, I’m a veteran who has been domaining since October 1999. Bought only dotcoms until .mobi LandRush in 9/2006.

Why do you arrogantly assume only rookies are buying dotMobi property?

I suggest you get off your ivory tower and try to persuade the below Fortune 500 executives in giving up their well-crafted dotMobi marketing campaigns….

Why are these big Brands buying and marketing their MobileWeb sites using dotMobi? Why are more companies increasingly launching and advertising their MobileWeb sites using the dotMobi extension?

BANKING:
BofA.mobi (Bank of America)
Deutsche-Bank.mobi
Wachovia.mobi
Barclays.mobi

INSURANCE:
Ing.mobi
StateFarm.mobi
AXA.mobi
Allstate.mobi

HOTELS:
Marriott.mobi
Hilton.mobi

CAR MANUFACTURERS:
Ferrari.mobi
BMW.mobi
Rolls-Royce.mobi
FordCA.mobi (Ford Canada)

TRANSPORTATION:
Amtrak.mobi
AAA.mobi (American Automobile Association)

SPORTS:
ESPN.mobi
NBA.mobi
WNBA.mobi

MAGAZINES:
Time.mobi (Time Magazine)
BusinessWeek.mobi
CNNMoney.mobi

ALCOHOL:
Smirnoff.mobi

INTERNET:
MSN.mobi
GoDaddy.mobi / TDNAM.mobi
Netsol.mobi (Network Solutions)

TECHNOLOGY:
Cisco.mobi

NEWS:
FoxNews.mobi
AlJazeera.mobi
ABCNews.mobi
TBS.mobi

NEWSPAPERS:
TheSun.mobi

GUIDES:
Zagat.mobi

MOBILE OPERATORS:
T-Mobile.mobi
Three.mobi
Vodafone.mobi
TIM.mobi
Orange.mobi

MOBILE MANUFACTURERS:
Nokia.mobi
SonyEricsson.mobi

TELECOMMUNICATIONS:
Ericsson.mobi
3Skype.mobi
3Next.mobi

WEATHER:
Weather.mobi (The Weather Channel)

DISNEY:
HSM2.mobi (High School Musical) via commercials

CITIES:
Helsinki.mobi

AIRLINES:
SAS.mobi
Spanair.mobi

CLOTHING:
Polo.mobi
Quikstore.mobi (Quiksilver)
BenettonPress.mobi (United Colors of Benetton)

AIRPORTS:
Schiphol.mobi (Amsterdam)

Last edited:
•••
One of the big spaces in .com is unique brand names.. I think a lot of people would prefer to have some cool made-up brandable over a more 'standard' brand name that is only available cheaply in .net or .org or something.
But if you believe that people will suddenly just say 'what the heck, I will just reg this in .xyz or .top (lol) or .store..' ..or any other extension..eventually many of the made-up brandables in .com will go down in value a lot or become worthless.
First of all, I don't think that's going to happen. I think people will prefer .com. But of course I have no proof of that.
So the 'real' problem I see is word-of-mouth and memorability after hearing it. Sure, you can just share the brand's name and then people will google it.. But what if we want to memorize the websites of our favorite brands instead and there are 20 different TLDs to remember for each one?? Seems annoying. I'd rather just have a few popular extensions :P

There are parallels between .MOBI and new extensions when it comes to investing, believers, big companies behind it, etc.

It was mainly noob domain investors wasting money convinced they are going to be right. I know looking back now it seems ridiculous that .MOBI was going to revolutionize the domain space, but at the time many people were convinced.

Here is a post from an article which could be applied to investing in new extensions today...

http://www.domainbits.com/mobi
Interesting how they quote Frank Schilling there heh.. And he is one of the big proponents of these new extensions, right?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back