NameSilo

question 600 domains aiming to make $30k and expand portfolio - Your Advice

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lknights1987

Established Member
Impact
I own 600 domain names 65% Hand Reg, 20% bought at auction, and the rest bought from Godaddy closeouts.

For the past 3 years I've sold 8 domains 1x $2888 1x $2500 1x $995 and 5 x $265

I've changed prices on the majority of my domain names to lower than what my GoDaddy rep thinks they're worth but nothing has sold since about 5 months ago. ( reduced prices from $1500 to $795 )

My aim is to expand my portfolio size from 600 to 2000 domains and make at least $30k per year in sales.

What advice would you give me to get to 2000 domain names and make over $30k in sales per year? Should I reduce the prices of my domains and sell them off cheaper?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not doing volume, 1-2-3 companies per name, but they are exact match, so high STR.
I do so but they read and ignore or replied: "No, thank you".

•••
I do so but they read and ignore or replied: "No, thank you".
It happens, but for example, if you have igor.fr and there are 2-3 companies using igorsl.fr,igorco.fr or something like this, your xxx domain should be attractive.

•••
•••
•••
Should I reduce the prices of my domains and sell them off cheaper?
Depends on the names, some might sell for top dollars and it is only a matter of time while others will never sell above a certain treshold.
Flat pricing doesn't work unless you have a very homogeneous portfolio.

•••
Dan landers, doing outbound for xxx value domains, mostly cctlds, targeting exact match of companies, so the chances for a sale it's very high. Prices are from low xxx to high xxxx, also selling to other domainers for low prices.
would you not recommend afternic landers ?

•••
A big differences between Dan and afternic, but you can choose whatever you want. If you are selling strictly to US customers, probably it can help you a bit, but outside US they are worthless. Not talking about bad customers service, with reply in 3 days and payments in 11 days. Afternic needs 7 days to secure a payment, for Dan you get paid 4 times in that time and probably is the same for buyers to, they get their domain later, because afternic takes 5-7 days to verify a payment.

•••
I use afternic landers to sell domains but if your gonna do outbound then find the most trustworthy looking site that you can send people to to buy it now ,better yet escrow.com will help you set up landers and most people know them or will trust them last week ,a 3900 sale netted me 3100 and change with afternic using escrow would have been about 80 give or take ,but afternic did sell the domain i dident and the funds were there next day

•••
I agree with less domains, but higher quality. You can sell a single domain for $30,000 in a year if you are smart and find the right deal. Managing more domains becomes more difficult, and 2000 domains will cost $20,000 per year in renewals... So you would need to sell $50,000 per year to make $30k. That's not taking into account replacing inventory, marketplace fees, etc.

•••
You should selll a few low value domains at nameliquadate, ebay, sav or np, if you want to sell fast. Sav auction starts at $1, so a little bit risky.
I don’t advise eBay, they charge extremely high fees to sell domains

•••
•••
Oh, I didn’t know that.
Nor did i until I listed some. I didnt sell them because the reoccuring listing fees were an unexpected killer to start with

•••
You should selll a few low value domains at nameliquadate, ebay, sav or np, if you want to sell fast. Sav auction starts at $1, so a little bit risky.
Before selling any names I think you should ask at the appraisal section about the price of those domains.

•••
I own 600 domain names 65% Hand Reg, 20% bought at auction, and the rest bought from Godaddy closeouts.

For the past 3 years I've sold 8 domains 1x $2888 1x $2500 1x $995 and 5 x $265

I've changed prices on the majority of my domain names to lower than what my GoDaddy rep thinks they're worth but nothing has sold since about 5 months ago. ( reduced prices from $1500 to $795 )

My aim is to expand my portfolio size from 600 to 2000 domains and make at least $30k per year in sales.

What advice would you give me to get to 2000 domain names and make over $30k in sales per year? Should I reduce the prices of my domains and sell them off cheaper?
Can you send me your names? I'm interested in buying.

Thank you,
Steven

•••
This is a good advice, but you need either to deal with a single industry/niche, as finance/tech/health/crypto and so on or you need at least 5k-10k domains to have a chance. Also, you need a big marketing budget and time to spare.
Big marketing budget can earn gradually but first you must spend on advertising %50 of your income. The main is to find good marketing solution/agency that makes your marketplace popular on the web.

•••

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back