Dynadot

question 600 domains aiming to make $30k and expand portfolio - Your Advice

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lknights1987

Established Member
Impact
I own 600 domain names 65% Hand Reg, 20% bought at auction, and the rest bought from Godaddy closeouts.

For the past 3 years I've sold 8 domains 1x $2888 1x $2500 1x $995 and 5 x $265

I've changed prices on the majority of my domain names to lower than what my GoDaddy rep thinks they're worth but nothing has sold since about 5 months ago. ( reduced prices from $1500 to $795 )

My aim is to expand my portfolio size from 600 to 2000 domains and make at least $30k per year in sales.

What advice would you give me to get to 2000 domain names and make over $30k in sales per year? Should I reduce the prices of my domains and sell them off cheaper?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My advice and you should take it ,the domains you have that you hand regged and are replaceable start selling them for whatever you can get ,keep 200 of them that you consider your best and raise the price to 3k to 6k accordingly you should start seeing your sellthru rate go up ,but at 200 domains your only talking 2 k renewal so even if you sell on3 domain bin. Your ahead of the game ,after that buy domains in auction from 1 to 3 k ,10 good ones should give you a 10 to 20 percent sell thru ,so you will sell 1 or two of those names at 7 to 20 k and only have to renew210 domain at 2100,getting to 2000 domains that are high quality requires alot of capital,,,if your just going to get mediocre domains the model will not work and your looking at 2k a month between renewals and interest ,because you will carry a balance,im digging out from this type of mess now ,only by doing real outbound ,,,,,picking up a dialing ,dont add so so names unless you are rich and renewals mean shit to you. Good luck

Last edited:
•••
Dan landers, doing outbound for xxx value domains, mostly cctlds, targeting exact match of companies, so the chances for a sale it's very high. Prices are from low xxx to high xxxx, also selling to other domainers for low prices.
would you not recommend afternic landers ?

•••
A big differences between Dan and afternic, but you can choose whatever you want. If you are selling strictly to US customers, probably it can help you a bit, but outside US they are worthless. Not talking about bad customers service, with reply in 3 days and payments in 11 days. Afternic needs 7 days to secure a payment, for Dan you get paid 4 times in that time and probably is the same for buyers to, they get their domain later, because afternic takes 5-7 days to verify a payment.

•••
Do what we all do old or new cull. It can be tough giving up names and yes others will grab them. The best few names that best describe a business is enough you don't need to buy forth fifth best.

Last edited:
•••
I use afternic landers to sell domains but if your gonna do outbound then find the most trustworthy looking site that you can send people to to buy it now ,better yet escrow.com will help you set up landers and most people know them or will trust them last week ,a 3900 sale netted me 3100 and change with afternic using escrow would have been about 80 give or take ,but afternic did sell the domain i dident and the funds were there next day

•••
I own 600 domain names 65% Hand Reg, 20% bought at auction, and the rest bought from Godaddy closeouts.

I've changed prices on the majority of my domain names to lower than what my GoDaddy rep thinks they're worth but nothing has sold since about 5 months ago. ( reduced prices from $1500 to $795 )

My aim is to expand my portfolio size from 600 to 2000 domains and make at least $30k per year in sales.

What advice would you give me to get to 2000 domain names and make over $30k in sales per year? Should I reduce the prices of my domains and sell them off cheaper?

If you want to do 30k then just do the maths and work it out. My maths sucks, but I think this is right....

3 years sold 8 domains - that is 2.66 domains per year.
You own 600 domains. therefore your current STR is 0.44 (so not even 1%)

If you sell domains at 3K, then you need to sell 10 per year. Which on 3000 domains would be an STR of 0.33%

If you sell domains at $300, then you need to sell 100 per year. Which on 3000 domains would be an STR of 3%

Work out the figures yourself. Then you will know what price you need to sell at and how many you need to sell.

•••
In 3 years you sold just over 1% of your names. It seems like you probably have not even covered your costs. Do you have any figures on what percentage of your names sell in the first year that you own them? As others have said, pricing them differently may not be the "key" to becoming more profitable. Unless you are very very sure that you are already profitable, I recommend against enlarging your portfolio with what is probably a lower quality of names than you already have.

•••
You've made $7,708
If you bought those all at reg value, then you've invested about $5,500 for one year renewal.
Soon you will be about $3,500 at loss in the above is accurate (not saying it is just giving an idea) due to renewals.

Now, you want to x4 your inventory.

I think you could invest in things more reliable and profitable.

Last edited:
•••
You should selll a few low value domains at nameliquadate, ebay, sav or np, if you want to sell fast. Sav auction starts at $1, so a little bit risky.

•••
I agree with less domains, but higher quality. You can sell a single domain for $30,000 in a year if you are smart and find the right deal. Managing more domains becomes more difficult, and 2000 domains will cost $20,000 per year in renewals... So you would need to sell $50,000 per year to make $30k. That's not taking into account replacing inventory, marketplace fees, etc.

•••
You should selll a few low value domains at nameliquadate, ebay, sav or np, if you want to sell fast. Sav auction starts at $1, so a little bit risky.
I don’t advise eBay, they charge extremely high fees to sell domains

•••
•••
Oh, I didn’t know that.
Nor did i until I listed some. I didnt sell them because the reoccuring listing fees were an unexpected killer to start with

•••
Before selling any names I think you should ask at the appraisal section about the price of those domains.

•••

Can you send me your names? I'm interested in buying.

Thank you,
Steven

•••
You can have the best domains ,no one knows there for sale ,if you have great end user domains or popular company domains they hardly sell by listing them ,BUT if you call companies directly you have a good shot at selling a good percentage of them ,I find never mention prices until they ask ,while talking to them think of yourself as a social worker talking to a person in need ,like you have nothing to gain ,with this the sales pitch will not be standing out,domainers dont like making calls but the end result can be very profitable if you have a domain thats a great match id say 2-3 out of 40 calls will lead to a sale.Think of the penny stock callers making 500 calls a day to get a few leads they pass along to more experienced seller aka ,stockbrokers ,lol ,with the right domains you are beyond all this ,so pick up the phone tell them your new selling for your boss ,this works ,,,,,,,,,,,,good luck post your results

Also send my a list ,I will let you know which ones are sellable or that I think I can broker for you,Ill even tell you that your names are crap IF THEY ARE,sometimes peolpe just renew junk

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back