Dynadot

domain $60,000 US for GoPC.com... should I take it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without saying I will or will not accept an offer for $60,000 US... I'm curious what all your opinions are about what I should do. Personally, I think the domain is worth much more than this, but 60 Grand is nothing to sneeze at.

I've had higher appraisals but no higher offers.

What do you think?

$60,000 for GoPC.com

Thanks for your input.

GoPC

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, the traffic question was a bit "tounge in cheek". Sorry about that. Was just kidding around a bit. :)

As far as participating, as I understand it, the Traffic West show is open to the Public. It's posted everywhere and the auction is LIVE. I don't know if it's posted anywhere "live" over the internet but you can go, watch, bid... whatever. It's in Las Vegas and I believe that Traffic West going on NOW, today. The auction isn't until the 4th though.

I think the opening bid is $75K, equal to the counter offer I gave. So, I'll either get the minimum (or a whole lot more) or nothing there. I'm trying to, in a way, to use the auction to create pressure on the them. A sense of urgency. We'll see.

GoPC

•••
I think that's a very risky, but brave, tactic.

I'd have opened at $60k to be safe and drummed up as much interest as possible beforehand (which I presume you have done anyway).

•••
It's good to think about things just remember people may pull out.
If you got just one domain that's worth a lot it's hard. It's easier to turn down if you have no kids, still young, & got a whole great portfolio.

I'll probably be in your shoes next year with offers for IDN Domains luckily I don't have any kids, mortgage, attachments, or anything.

Many that don't hold a great portfolio would sell quick but perhaps wouldn't ever be in the same situation because they might have sold off great domains already.

Anyway good luck with your venture, hope it goes to an end user rather than domainers who view OVT as the number measure for a domain.

•••
•••
The Live Auction starts in 40 Minutes. I'm very nervous. I've NOT heard back from the company I sent the Counter Offer to, which I fully expected to BEFORE the Auction. So I may have blown that... I don't know yet. They may also be waiting to see what it does at Auction and try and low-ball me if the domain doesn't get enough bids to meet the reserve.

I did get an email from Monte, owner of Moniker, that they have received some interest about the domain prior to the Auction. He didn't say WHO the interested parties might be... it's probably not proper etiquite to do so.

Anyway, everything I can cross IS crossed... 34 minutes now and counting.

I have noticed one thing that I will take away from all of this as a lesson learned, or a pearl of wisdom if you will...

These Domain Sales companies like Moniker, Sedo, Afternic, etc....

They do not SELL domains... they "handle" sales. In other words, they make their living from owners and buyers doing the research to find the names and then coming to them to facilitate the deal. They do little or nothing to generate leads for their clients or their buyers.

If all the emails I've been sending to prospective buyers, all the calls I've been making to potential owners, all the marketing that I've personally done results in people attending the Auction or making a sale outside of the auction... I certainly won't be listed at DNJournal.com as having sold the thing and I'll be 45% shorter on funds after Moniker and the Fed get their chunk.

Here's what I'm going to do.... If/when it sells, I'm going to redesign ViralTrade.com to be a individual Domain Broker... and ACTIVE Domain Brokerage that actually represents clients to businesses that are likely to buy. To make CALLS and send emails and regular mail, and faxes and generate industry buzz and momenteum for the clients to get a great return on their domains as opposed to sitting around waiting for someone to magically appear looking for a domain I might have tucked somewhere in my database.

After all... isn't that exactly what we all are looking for? Qualified buyers? Proper appraisals and value for our domains? Real representation? To put Domains in front of BUYERS rather than infront of other sellers.

I'm tired of spending money to be on a rotating list of 1000s of domains that are viewed mostly by other sellers trying to verify their own domain was even posted.

Okay... Soap Box aside, I would have liked to see more "action" from those "brokers" that have had several months to generate activity. No knocking them... they are very, very busy doing what they do and it works. I just think there MAY be a better way.

We've heard the rumors of the "Specialized domain brokers" but has anyone every seen one? Are they hanging out with the unicorns, gnomes and Bigfoot? I can't find one.

19 Minutes.... and counting.

Nerves...

Sorry.

GoPC

•••
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us!

Good Luck. I cross my fingers for you :)

•••
Really liking your last post GOPC. Great idea that I have been thinking about for a while. (Maybe that's why I like yours... No - I am NOT THAT self-centered.... then why am I talking to myself?)

Anyway, I would love to see your concept put into action. Let me know if there is anything I can do to make it happen?

Hope the auction goes well for you. In this business... What goes well for one, goes well for all.

DAVID

•••
GL GoPC.

My fingers are crossed :)

•••
Best of Luck, GoPC

Hope it works out well for you

•••
Someone asked where they can "watch" the Auction...

I found out, just now, that the Auction is being netcast live at http://www.webmasterradio.fm

Tracking it live on my site... http://gopc.com/smf/index.php?topic=56.0

Step by step updates posted AS IT HAPPENS.

So far...
Globes.net - no bid at $35,000
Glockenspiel.com - No Big at $1500
GolfClubRentals.com - $10,000... no bid
HairlossTreatment.com - $5,000 start bid... at $18K so far....

•••
Cool - I'm listening to it just now :) Good Luck GoPc

•••
sex.net went for $450

StockBroker.com didn't sell at all.

WOW!

follow along at: http://gopc.com/smf/index.php?topic=56.0

GoPC

$2,010,600 sold today.

Funny... I never heard GoPC come up. In fact, I didn't hear ALOT of domains come up. I heard alot of picking and choosing by Monte and the Audience. Monte verbally tossing names out that he didn't like or think were priced right, etc.

I don't know if it were me or not but if I found that my domain was tossed aside because of personal bias and not allowed to go before a group of people with a potential for a sale, I'd be a bit angry.

My overall impression of the Auction was close to chaos. It wasn't like they had a list they went by at all... they were all over the published list. Very little continuity. You could hear the crowd calling for domains to be auctioned that never were... others that were brought back up more than once.

It was obviously good for some... sex.net getting $450K for instance.

Kinda proves my feeling that these large "domain brokers" are really going after the low hanging fruit.

Anyway, I missed the first hour and a half so I can't say if my domain never appeared or not. What I do know is that before anyone assumes their domain didn't get any bids, try and find out if it was even PRESENTED.

Congrats to the sellers and buyers.

GoPC

Last edited:
•••
Yeah it did seem a bit unorganised - Is that all the bidding over or is it on for another day or so ??

I did'nt hear yours called either :td: When will you find out if it was ?

•••
That's it... the only auction for the event.

I doubt I will find out if it was ever presented. I just wish I had found the Audio Feed early enough to listed to the whole thing. Like I said, I missed the 1st hour or more.

If it had been presented, I would have heard a yay or nay by now. I don't think it was. Have you looked at the list for the auction? It's total chaos as well. My name was tucked in with a few Candy domains? wtf? Most of which I never heard either. Monte probably looked down and saw "Candy" and skipped over the entire group.

I'm 90% sure it didn't get mentioned let alone sold. I would have been fine with the domain having been brought up and no bids... but to not even be presented. That hurts. :(

Oh well...

GoPC

•••
GoPC said:
That's it... the only auction for the event.

I'm 90% sure it didn't get mentioned let alone sold. I would have been fine with the domain having been brought up and no bids... but to not even be presented. That hurts. :(

Oh well...

GoPC

That really does suck if it was not even presented but they found the time to present a handfull of hyphen names :yell:

Well with any luck it was sold in the first hour :) It seemed like there were alot of names with very low starting prices towards the end - Maybe they pushed the higher priced domains in the first hour while their wallets were full :hehe:

Time will tell.... please let us know if you hear anything :)

•••
I didn't realize your name was up for sale at this auction. Sorry if it didn't get mentioned. I heard some crap names being announced so I'd feel insulted if it wasn't.

•••
•••
I agree, and am confused, did it sell for 2 million? or what happened?

•••
•••
what happened??? im confused

•••
What happened is that I spent several weeks marketing my domain to other new potential buyers and once I had some additional interest, I counter offered my original offer and mentioned that they could either take the counter offer or bid against others at the May 4th Traffic Auction and I told other interested parties about the auction.

Then... GoPC was NEVER PRESENTED at the auction!

So not only is credibility right out of the window as I put the pressure on these businesses to put up or shut up against the deadline that would put the domain in a competitors hands... But I'm sure that the buyers that sowed up or followed the auction looking to buy the domain are either very cufused OR they consider the value extremely LOW considering it wasn't "worth" presenting.

The reality is that this was Moniker's ELITE names Auction... The creme of the crop. Just getting on the list "used" to be considered a great accomplishment.

This time around, Moniker accepted over 4000 names to the auction. For 4000 names, they gave themselves about 3 hours to go through them. In the end, they got through only 200 names. Which means, 3800 names were not presented.

By many people's account, many of the names that were presented were rubbish and should never have been accepted to such a prestigious and elite auction. Also, many GREAT names that should have presented were not.

The Auction DID sell 2.1 Million dollars worth of domains... true. I think they could have done more had it been more "controlled".

Anyway... here's the point that REALLY gets me...

I didn't approach Moniker about putting GoPC into their Elite Domains Auction... they asked ME. They gave me a price to start and told me what it would sell for.

Then, they either missed it or skipped it... doesn't matter... and never presented it

On the list, my name was tucked between FarmingBusiness.com & PetStuff.com... a great place for a mobile technology domain to eisily be identitifed and be catagorically understood.

No... I'm just a little disappointed. To be asked to attend and then not be presented.

GoPC

•••
What a crock of $hit if you ask me. Has the original bidder backed out?

•••
I was wondering too about the original bidder.

If you dont get to sell this right now, it WILL sell no matter what. And I dont think you will have to go below 60k to get a buyer in rather near presence. Good lock

•••
GoPC said:
I've owned the domain since day one. Paid like $9 for it what, 10 years ago?

$9 10 years ago? I really don't think so unless the domains were practically free back in the day.

In 1998 alone - Domains were going for $70 per year and they didn't begin to drop for another 2 years (If I am not mistaken)

•••
this is where greed will leave you, to field an offer and then go through what you went through was just a growing ball of greed. if the first offer was not good enough so be it, but it seems like you tried to go from a spontaneous 60k offer to a 120k sale in a matter of days. and then you blame the missed sale on moniker and TRAFFIC and whoever else, but i don't here no blame going onto the shoulders of GOPC.... whereas in my opinion the only one at fault here is GoPC. if you hold out that is the price you pay, if you sell then you sell, the best of both worlds do not meet heads often in this business. I would chalk it up to a learning experience and then move ahead.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back