NameSilo

$50M startup company uses .ai domain

Labeled as sales in Domain Industry News started by sohel momin, Sep 13, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. handpicked

handpicked Established Member

Dr. Vishal Sikka was heading Infosys (a USD$12 Billion company) and later SAP ( a USD$ 17 Billion company) and is both an indo-american citizen (his brother was my colleague and now a friend too). I don't think affordability can be an issue with the Sikka's. He holds a Stanford University Ph.D. (Computer Science) and he had led SAP's product portfolio including the breakthrough in-memory platform, SAP HANA, and all their applications, cloud and many tech solutions. He has vast experience in IT and is also credited with accelerating SAP's development processes, transforming its innovation culture and leading several successful product co-creation initiatives with clients at SAP. He is also the creator of the concept of ‘timeless software’, which represents the renewal of products without disruption to customer environments.

Can read more about his .ai baby here:
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ion-today-at-oracle-open-world-300920279.html

but, as many opined here, I still feel the relevant short dot com would have helped the company's identity, which hopefully they might acquire in the long run.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. MTB

MTB Established Member

I go by facts and .com is better than .ai. It's registered more, sells for higher and its been the internationally accepted standard for 30 years. .com spells the same in both cases, whereas .ai can easily be confused. Plus, .ai is generally limited to artificial intelligence whereas .com is generic.

And, surely alphabetical listings would begin with the first letter of the domain name, in which case .ai or .com would be irrelevant.

I could be wrong, but you'd need to present some facts not hunches!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  3. nametrekker

nametrekker Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Lots of "AI" focused companies are using .ai.
    I sold Sherpa.ai to Sherpa AI and it's a 200 million company and its voice assistant is as good or better than Siri and Google Assistant. Ai companies are getting acquired by Google, Microsoft, Apple and Facebook and Baidu at amazing valuations

4. MTB

MTB Established Member

Thanks for sharing your research! Roughly how many autos did you count to arrive at your 80% estimate? I agree with most of your post, however a UK business that markets itself with a .co.uk would be wise to also register .com (and redirect to .co.uk) for brand protection, since many people (I would assume in the UK also) see a brand and automatically type the .com. In this situation, if the .com is a rival business then the .co.uk could lose a lot of customers. Also local CLD's, including .co.uk, establish trust with the consumer and can outrank .com in local Google search.

5. quickbrownfox

quickbrownfox New Member ★★★★★★★★★★

If you owned vian.com or vianai.com how would you proceed from here?
    How do you decide the value of the two domains when Vianai Systems now have launched?

If you owned vian.com or vianai.com what would be your selling price?

6. MTB

MTB Established Member

1. Check out the acronym Websites for vian
    2. Sell it to the town of Vian in Oklahoma
    3. Create a brand called vian

7. platey

platey Top Member VIP

My 80% is just a guesstimate

But since writing the previous post that you replied to that I am replying to now etc I had the opportunity to test out my theory whilst driving close to 400 miles much of which were motorway miles and a large majority of the website addresses on the vehicles that I passed or that passed me were

.Co.uk

The majority of the 20% ish that use. Com Website addresses in the uk are large multi billion dollar companies that trade globally etc

But someone offering a service in a uk county doesn't need a. Com And a potential customer looking to use a local service would not type in dot com they would expect a local service in the same county to have their country's Cctld which is. Co.uk

8. MTB

MTB Established Member

Just looked at some data. Searched taxi company london england and the top 4 pages of organic results (taxi companies) show about 75% are .com.
    1. addisonlee.com
    2. twelvetransfers.co.uk
    3. the-london-taxi.com
    4. whiteeaglecars.co.uk
    5. british-airport-riders.co.uk
    6. levc.com
    7. bettertaxi.com
    8. chelsea-fulhamcars.com
    9. flywaycarriages.com
    10. heathrowgatwickcars.com
    11. airport-pickups-london.com
    12. greentomatocars.com
    13. blackberrycars.com
    14. canterburytaxis.co.uk
    15. englishrosecollection.co.uk
    16. airportcars.london
    17. ubicabs.com
    18. cabhit.com
    19. gett.com
    20. wheely.com
    21. safeminicab.com
    22. windsorcars.com

9. platey

platey Top Member VIP

Addison Lee

Is a big brand

I don't live in London and have never been in an Addison Lee cab etc as I drive so no need to get a taxi at all etc

But in London Addison Lee cabs are absolutely everywhere etc

So even without this list if I wanted a cab in London I would have typed Addison Lee in to Google and clicked on their website address and used them etc so wouldn't have typed taxi in to Google at all

Keyword industry and or service sector keywords either in dot com Or a Cctld are only of any use if a huge brand in that sector isn't obvious etc

Eg I don't type

domain name registrar

In to Google etc

I type

Godaddy

The world's biggest

Which bypasses all search results etc

But back to your list

Apart from Addison Lee the no 1 result Eg a huge brand

The

Airport cars. London

Would be the next biggest because it's self explanatory

.London puts it specifically in London

Windsor is a place name

And although I've not heard of wheely etc

Wheely

Will be in the top 5 search results if you done the same search in 5 years time because it's a potentially huge brand and ideal for a tech giant to buy and throw a few quid at to make it huge globally

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice