IT.COM

$500 offer for hand reg yesterday

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
I got an $500 for a domain hand reg yesterday ...looks like an offer from a person who runs a NGO, domain is a brandable TM free edu based...should I counter or accept..

What will u do?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Since it is a 5000% ROI, I will happily accept..:)

•••
Always counter, because if you will accept the first offer, then the person who made the offer would think that he offered too much which might change his mind. Depends upon the domain too, some hand-regs are worth $xxxx. And another factor is the buyer's need, we can never be sure whether accepting the first offer is the right choice or asking for more. But if the domain isn't worth much and doesn't have many potential end-users then I would still counter with $700.

•••
I am planning to give a $750 counter ..as a dull month ..wouldn't wanna loose the deal :)

Last edited:
•••
•••
There is nothing wrong with accepting the initial offer if it's within or above your expectations. Only you can tell. The initial offer may be the best and the last you'll get.
It depends on the domain really.

•••
There is nothing wrong with accepting the initial offer if it's within or above your expectations. Only you can tell. The initial offer may be the best and the last you'll get.
It depends on the domain really.

Yes, you can easily ruin deals by countering too much. If the buyer won't budge, sell for $500.

•••
I have had bad experience in accepting the first offer ...I counterd 700 , let's see what happens...if he really needs the name he would get back

•••
Lets wait and watch..Do share your experience..

•••
•••
I have had bad experience in accepting the first offer ...I counterd 700 , let's see what happens...if he really needs the name he would get back
By only bumping up the price $200 you showed your cards. He knows by you doing this that you are only trying to get some extra money out of him. Sometimes they stick to their guns and only offer the $500 a second time. If they offer $500 again then they know all you can do is say no again and they have a 50/50 shot at that happening. They also know they can always bump up the price if you do say no again.

If you countered at say $2,500 it shows that you think the domain is actually worth more money and not that you are just trying to get more money. I like to counter at a reasonable amount but make sure it is known that I am completely negotiable. At this point is where you give a nice sale pitch about how great the name is, stats etc.... They won't walk because I'm not firm on my price and it makes them think that the domain is actually worth more than their offer. Everyone likes when someone is willing to be flexible and not firm in pricing.

If you only want let's say $700 for the domain by countering at $2,500 and telling them that you are flexible in the pricing then chances are they will come back at a much higher number then you were willing to accept to begin with. They will always make a second offer if you say you are flexible. If you come back with some huge number then they think you're nuts but by coming back at a very reasonable $2,500 keeps them in the game.

•••
Nice offer out of the gate. Good luck with the sale

•••
bro Waite if buyer like domain name i hope they will pay more ..today i have same issu Qguest.com i have offer after 1 hour xxx but not sell i will Waite some becoz just today i buy it ..B-)B-)B-)B-):$::$::$::$:

•••
I know from a couple deals that I accepted the initial offer, and then no payment. Michael Berkens said to me never accept the first offer, if you accept it, they think "Oh crap I offered too much !" He told me he had high five figure offers that he would have been happy with he still countered because he felt the deal would not go through on acceptance.

$500 might be too low of a number for this to come in play and they may actually follow through.

•••
By only bumping up the price $200 you showed your cards. He knows by you doing this that you are only trying to get some extra money out of him. Sometimes they stick to their guns and only offer the $500 a second time. If they offer $500 again then they know all you can do is say no again and they have a 50/50 shot at that happening. They also know they can always bump up the price if you do say no again.

If you countered at say $2,500 it shows that you think the domain is actually worth more money and not that you are just trying to get more money. I like to counter at a reasonable amount but make sure it is known that I am completely negotiable. At this point is where you give a nice sale pitch about how great the name is, stats etc.... They won't walk because I'm not firm on my price and it makes them think that the domain is actually worth more than their offer. Everyone likes when someone is willing to be flexible and not firm in pricing.

If you only want let's say $700 for the domain by countering at $2,500 and telling them that you are flexible in the pricing then chances are they will come back at a much higher number then you were willing to accept to begin with. They will always make a second offer if you say you are flexible. If you come back with some huge number then they think you're nuts but by coming back at a very reasonable $2,500 keeps them in the game.

I usually follow these numbers with $500, I had a few sales on Sedo where each negotiation went the same:

Them $500 offer
Me $3,500 Counter offer
Them $2,000.
Me Sold.

•••
Is it one of the two domains you posted yesterday in the "Your reg. of the day" thread? Watch out for the appraisal scam

If not a fresh in the news term, Getting a legit $500 offer 24 hours after a hand reg is quite odd.

I would be more concern of the legitimacy of the offer than worrying about counter tatics. Good Luck

•••
I would counter $1088.00

1k would seem to intentional(doubling his offer).. and countering too close may make buy doubt value..and give him some power.

Anyway, everyone is different.. so I hope you make the sale!

•••
I usually follow these numbers with $500, I had a few sales on Sedo where each negotiation went the same:

Them $500 offer
Me $3,500 Counter offer
Them $2,000.
Me Sold.

I think I'm gonna use this as a template. lol. (depending on the quality of the domain). Thanks

•••
•••
IMO

500 is a lot of new hand regs or one high quality name to your portfolio. I also understand leaving money on the table can itch at you a long time.

But, a one day old name is like a lottery ticket that actually won.

I'd be singing a Steve Miller Band tune.

"Go on take the money and run"

All the best,

RWD

•••
I would counter $19500 if I know that the buyer is rich or big company:)

•••
Weird how the offer came so fast.

•••
Domain philosopher says, (almost) every domain was once a handreg. Should not affect your pricing.

•••
•••
Feels great to get an offer for a hand reg, i think you should accept the $500 and reinvest it in more domain names that interest NGOs.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back