Domain Empire

50 companies changed their .COM to a new gTLD

Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes you can do that now but what I was saying is that is going to change in the next few years.
Correct me if I am wrong but the Chinese government is insisting on the changes by 2021.

•••
That wan't a good idea! O.o

•••
•••
The "Chinese" domains were a good move especially since all Chinese domains will be required to be in "ALL" Chinese characters in the next few years per the requirement of the Chinese gov, so there goes the Chinese market...

Is this why they're buying up numbers left and right, because numbers are pretty much universal? Or do they have Chinese characters for numbers too? I honestly do not know, just curious. Where can I read more about this?

•••
Extrabold.design (extrabolddesign.com)

This type of change looks OK and reasonable.

•••
Extrabold.design

They don't look like urls. It looks like somebody forgot to put a space after the period then started a new sentence with capitalizing the first letter.

•••
Think people forgot that .com means commercial? Yes commercial is a term for business but it is also a term for advertising which is probably it's real meaning. Because before internet it was called BBS - Bulletin Board System. To a new generation .computer? .whatever .etc. .CLOUD? .falseadvertising .payperclick .adsense .keyword .ripoff .insane .maybe all the new extensions are really just another way for the owners of the mega expensive .coms to try to recoup the lost money they spent on those dot coms or make more because of their fame in the domain sales world? In any case after you really look, check the name sales history in the dot com and look at the new extension name.... So if that is the case that has to be bad news and a clear indicator of a very important and basic fact for a domain to really be worth anything content, content, content = users, members, income. Not oh google says this or that (seo) google will say anything to take your money and big sites will allow anything to be advertised so long as they make money? Half of those adverts are false advertising that has to hurt a domain especially when you have screen shots of your so called investment on way back machine, that probably has links to bogus sites via pay per click advertising because of cash parking, that really is not protecting your investment is it? Just some food for thought. But you know I am right investors do background checks on domains now just like employers do potential staff members.

•••
•••
But apart from that, .COM is anything but a vintage B/W TV-set.

.COM will remain the king of domains, even if there now are keyword+keyword alternatives that really makes sense.

.NET, .BIZ , .CO and a few more will "suffer" big time though.

•••
This thread is a setup for a future one, 50 companies that realized they screwed up and went back to their .com. It's coming.

•••
This thread is a setup for a future one, 50 companies that realized they screwed up and went back to their .com. It's coming.

Pretty much the opposite is my guess. Long, clumpsy names changed to short attractive new ones.

•••
This thread is funny because it's basically back and forth.. .com is king.. but ngtlds are good too... .com is king.. but ngtlds are good too!... but .com will always be THE KING!... but ngtlds are good!!! etc.etc.

Both can be great. A domain is not only it's extension. Personally, I believe both in good keyword + ngTLD combinations and .COM.

But I also guess that that 3-4 word .COM domains will become less attractive. 1 and 2 word .COM will still be sold for 4-5-6-7 figures.

•••
deleted

Last edited:
•••
Nevermind quote and reply isn't working right for some reason...

Last edited:
•••
•••
They might have more options, but here is an interesting study about the domains used by startups.

http://dngeek.com/2015/07/most-popular-domain-extensions-for-startups-in-q2-2015

After analyzing 449 newly funded start-ups that raised a combined 5.2 billion dollars in funding during the first quarter of the year we’re back with a Q2 report which is based on 748 newly funded startups who raised a whopping 10.9 billion dollars in funding during the second quarter of this year.

.COM was selected by over 75% of startups, which means it is actually increasing its lead.

How are the new gTLD doing among startups?

The big surprise for me is the increasing popularity of .me and .tv. Both of these extensions prove to be more popular among funded startups than all the new gTLDs combined. With a measly 6 startups that launched with one of the 329 new available domain name extensions the new Gs only take 0.8% of the pie.

TV is so popular because the entire TV industry is coming online. Not only Google wants a piece of the pie. In a few years all TV networks will be online I guess.. maybe they will all have their own platform like watch.hbo or watch.amc or whatever.

I know of three eSports comapnies using TV, two of them startups
- Azubu.tv
- Hitbox.tv
- Twitch.tv

Streaming services are popular companies so it makes sense that TV goes up in usage. Probably one of the fastest growing markets at the moment. Possibly a lot of Youtubers also register TV domains .. every kid on the block wants to be a Youtuber these days ;)

Edit: Interesting study, wondering where they get the data from. In a few quarters this could change quite a bit, it's simply too early to tell

Last edited:
•••
Very interesting thoughts... I believe that years matter, but people will remember something meaningful.
Com is meaningful, TV is meaningful (plus easy to remember), and how meaningful is co, what do you think?
As for me, I will always confuse co with com

•••
Very interesting thoughts... I believe that years matter, but people will remember something meaningful.
Com is meaningful, TV is meaningful (plus easy to remember), and how meaningful is co, what do you think?
As for me, I will always confuse co with com

I actually like CO .. because a great deal of companies are using it for their company name, e.g. BrandSupplyCo LLC... Its shorter than COM and business owners actually know it stands for company. People just dont know that COM means company.

If it wasn't for DOT COMs recognition, I would prefer supply.co over supply.com or I would prefer software.co over software.com. It's short and it works and stands for the very same thing: COMPANY

But DOT COM is not just any extension. The brand trust associated with it is why businesses around the world prefer it.

The internet has been around long enough for consumers to develop an "affinity". They know a great deal about how the internet works now and are willing to embrace novel ways to consume content.

It is no longer the 90's when only geeks knew what the internet was. Everyone knows what it is and many even know what cookies are, what protocols are, what a firewall is. That knowledge has developed over time. Only geeks knew that stuff. It sounds ridiculous but consumers just didnt care about cookies until privacy issues entered public domain.

So, what we have now is an educated consumer who can recognize www.mycompany.me or www.thisservice.co - they know its something they can enter into their browser. It's not so difficult too imagine that they will soon embrace new gTLDs. When Google makes that change I spoke of, it will be right in their face every single day. When that happens the awareness will explode. What we have then could turn into a major event for the entire domain industry and Google has already announced a date range.

I am seeing type-in traffic for domains already and it's great. I own a few ultra premium keywords like software in some extension and consumers are actually entering it into their address bar. I havent quite figured out how it works, because when I enter "software tips" into the address bar, I dont land at software.tips - I get redirected to Google instead. So I will need some time to further dig into that, but the development is very exciting and I couldnt be more happy with my early adopter investments, especially since I already have offers in the 4-figure range. But I will sit on my names for a few years before I sell anything. There's money to be made here, a blind man can see that. This isn't the end of the story, it's the beginning and DOT COM owners are afraid. Change is always "scary". But as I pointed out, owners of premium DOT COMs have nothing to fear because of 30 years of building trust and recognition. That just doesn't go away over night, that would take a decade or a technological disruption.

Last edited:
•••
.Co will forever be called "the typo domain" though, no?

•••
.Co will forever be called "the typo domain" though, no?

I don't see it as such. More companies use CO in their actual company name than COM. No company uses COM in their company name. That's why I personally would prefer the extension CO over COM if we would take recognition and trust out of the equation.

•••
I believe that years matter, but people will remember something meaningful.
Com is meaningful

Unless I completely missed your point in the above statement; can you or anyone in the community, explain how "Com" is meaningful?

Take into consideration, "Com" is not TV, Club, Website, News, and other meaningful extensions.

•••
Because it's well known, accepted, used. It has a history of success and a future. There is a reason why it sells for what it does. There is a reason why it gets 19 out of the top 20 sales

@JB Lion — What does the meaning of "Com" extension has anything to do with its popularity, history, success and sales?

Your comments further proves my earlier assertion regarding your one-sided point of view in defense of .com. Learn to be objective for once, pls.

Just so you know, I have more .com domains in my portfolio than newgtlds, but that does not mean I should be biased in favor of dot-com in my views.
____

Read @sOliver's comment above (or below), which does not only makes sense, but is also relevant to the question asked.

That's a really good point many domainers miss. COM is an abbreviation, whereas most new gTLDs like DOT TIPS are not.

In my opinion, meaningful, short names will survive like: tips, web, club, me, site, estate, news, today, ..

•••
It is a moot point really. The bottom line is that the public is familiar with .com, not .co (except in Colombia proper maybe).
A number of countries still use third level domains in the form .com.tld or .co.tld. For instance, the UK where consumers 'expect' to see.co.uk. Many will assume a .co domain is a typo/incomplete domain.

When you're quoting me, don't quote me out of context. I have already acknowledged that DOT COM is more valuable and will always be. And I specifically said "when we take recognition and awareness out of the equation".

But you are ignoring hard facts: New gTLDs have security advantages, branding advantages and meaning. What that means is that there will be a secondary market. COM will be the primary market for a long, long time, but there's money to be made here in the secondary domain market for people who just dont want to spend 16k on a COM domain today.

As you can probably tell I do not shy away from spending big money on DOT COM or DOT NET. I see the potential of new gTLDs and if it doesn't work out I only lost a few grand. No big deal. I have a business I can rely on, backed by great domains including COM and NET.

•••
Ugh, what's important to businesses? Success, history, consumer awareness etc or that you pointed out it's an abbreviation? If you want to talk about something that's meaningless, it's that reason you just gave.

"What's important to businesses" as it relates to choice of TLDs is another topic of its own. And you can't speak for, or on behalf of every business. Neither you or I, know anything about other business' objectives or choice when it comes to the online identity of their business. ....

Whether they are going to weigh popularity over meaningfulness, or not. Cost of acquisition over sales and history, etc.

My question was, does "Com" extension has a meaning or not. This has already been answered by another member.

•••
I have to agree that a lot of extensions will in fact go out of business, so it is best to stay away from domains with like 10k regs. Thats simple math. They will never be profitable and will be shut down. So do your homework. There is some money to be made, but it requires strategy and research.

I dont think names like zone or xyz for that matter have a chance to survive long-term. Besides there is little value in xyz. But there are extensions that may generate sales in the future or have already done so on a small scale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back