Dynadot

50 companies changed their .COM to a new gTLD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
The "Chinese" domains were a good move especially since all Chinese domains will be required to be in "ALL" Chinese characters in the next few years per the requirement of the Chinese gov, so there goes the Chinese market...

•••
•••
•••
•••

Some other large corporations will soon switch their .COM for their own TLD.

•••
Some other large corporations will soon switch their .COM for their own TLD.

Not any smart ones. That's a horrible looking url above, when I first see it, I think home is the name of the company. And they haven't seemed to go all in, still have the .com in the profile, still posting links using .com - https://twitter.com/barclays

•••
New generations are coming. New ideas, new tactics, new thoughts.

But I don't understand why Paris Fashion Week replaced their .COM with a BUZZ. Are they sponsored?

•••
@JB

I understand you are intensely dedicated to .com but the link obviously points out 50 site's that have changed.

Moving back to .com is your conjecture, nothing more.

Maybe you can predict the future but it's too early to tell. :|

Last edited:
•••
NO big surprise to me. End-users have their own ideas.

•••
@JB

I understand you are intensely dedicated to .com but the link obviously points out 50 site's that have changed.
In all fairness (equal time), where is the link that obviously points out the million sites that didn't change?

Agreed some of them were changes for the better like:

pa-law-firm.com becoming Williamsport.lawyer (double hyphen law firm to .lawyer)
Futurelegends.me.uk becoming Futurelegends.cricket (a cricket site that teaches kids how to improve their cricket skills, vast improvement in branding)
fishtetons.com becoming Wyoming.fish (keyword)
ugr.es becomingUgr.university (it is a University after all)
esnfpatientcare.com becoming Triple.care (keyword and mobile friendlier)
animalhealthassociates.org becoming Aha.vet (mobile friendlier)

•••
Personally I think new gTLD's will never gain any decant publicity and value, yes maybe there are and will be small amount of diamonds discovered in the mud (the ones that sound and go together just perfectly) few end users (companies) will try to use them and maybe, 1 - 2 % will actually stick with them. For the rest IMHO, it's like trying to change driving sides on the road in UK and (former British colonies) from left to right, or in pretty much rest of the world right to left! Unlikely to happen, is it?.. People are just so used to .com you would have to spend huge amounts of money on marketing and telling people who are not domainers, what those new gTLD's actually are and why are they better, than .com?

I can't predict future and would be happy to be proven wrong of course ;)

Again in my opinion most often, people who believe that pretty much all of the new gTLD will be huge are mostly guy who had gone in to domaining recently, obviously missed out on reasonable chance on picking up good .com for cheap so all there is left to do to try convince others that all the new gTLD's will make them crazy money ;)

•••
For the rest IMHO, it's like trying to change driving sides on the road in UK and (former British colonies) from left to right, or in pretty much rest of the world right to left! Unlikely to happen, is it?

Maybe brits are "too" conservative. In Sweden they changed from left to right in 1967. In all went rather smooth (my father's story, I wasn't born).

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H

On topic: I sold my first .COM in 1998 and I sold my first new gTLD in 2004. It doesn't have to be .COM versus/or gTLDs, it can be both. For some.

•••
Personally I think new gTLD's will never gain any decant publicity and value, yes maybe there are and will be small amount of diamonds discovered in the mud (the ones that sound and go together just perfectly) few end users (companies) will try to use them and maybe, 1 - 2 % will actually stick with them. For the rest IMHO, it's like trying to change driving sides on the road in UK and (former British colonies) from left to right, or in pretty much rest of the world right to left! Unlikely to happen, is it?.. People are just so used to .com you would have to spend huge amounts of money on marketing and telling people who are not domainers, what those new gTLD's actually are and why are they better, than .com?

Again in my opinion most often, people who believe that pretty much all of the new gTLD will be huge are mostly guy who had gone in to domaining recently, obviously missed out on reasonable chance on picking up good .com for cheap so all there is left to do to try convince others that all the new gTLD's will make them crazy money ;)

Depends...if your primary source of traffic is other websites (search engines or social media) then you dont need to tell anybody anything as they wont care.

If you count on offline marketing then thats different.

•••

@Miks I liked your post but I'm from the UK live in the USA and have to give my opinion here... Sorry can't help it.
You do realize that most dot coms are actually owned by people going by the term domainer etc.
Some are making money others are just spending money on what they think is good (as you kind of said) however..... If most dot coms are owned by domainers and let's face it that means it is domainers who are also buying the majority of the new gTLDs right? .xyz anybody? Dirt cheap buy hundreds then watch the numbers fall come renewal time. ( I have not touched .xyz btw.)
So that can only mean one thing..... It is not news that the ".COM Bubble Burst" how can an ambiguous combination of LLL or LLLL be worth more than a nice fresh name? The domain name can be masked from any old garbage and people mainly click on links rather than type, due to search engines (those will change too) it is probably domainers that do the majority of type in traffic to start off with as they do their searching for a gold nugget.
Younger people are not into dot com it's all apps and facebook etc. and fb will eventually die off.
people always want something new whether it's a tv or car or phone, and the net is going to change.
Cloud is just a way to rebrand the net it's nothing new LOL. So if you buy any of the three mentioned items (tv, car,phone) eventually you'll want a new one. The old one will end up given away. sold or hidden in a draw. Whatever the case the majority of these things will lose the majority of it's value.

This being said a domain is supposed to hold its value, well it should.... IF there are only a few extensions but a few extensions means a limited quantity. Rather only a limited quantity of "Quality" domains.
This can only mean bad news for some or let's say most! I will say it if no one else will. Being told to hold on to a thing because it is rare is stupidity it is only worth holding on to if it is "GOOD" if people want it... Where am I going with this? Well basically it is domainers telling domainers to do that (keep rare character counts) as the domains cost domainers (the middle men) money! The real domainers are the registrars and the new domain extensions are making the real domainers LOTS of money. Why? Because some quality domains did exist and those domainers sold them and used the money to buy the better names and then went one step further and set up shop as ..... A NEW EXTENSION.... Now some great domains do exist and yes some things have not been invented yet, so you may have a frenzied rush to buy up all possible combinations when the next "New Thing" comes out, in effect it is like a lottery. Dictionary words especially the most common are the most valuable yet not all are any good!
So there you have it and as I said before "Taxonomy" is starting to take effect from big data and let's face it .com is old tree menu stuff albeit the top of that tree (domains). So yes some dot coms will be worth lots but the best way to make money is to invent a thing or develop your own thing and then sell it. I will write more about what I see coming when I have time. Sorry for the ramble here guys but I had to say it. :)

•••
The "Chinese" domains were a good move especially since all Chinese domains will be required to be in "ALL" Chinese characters in the next few years per the requirement of the Chinese gov, so there goes the Chinese market...

Do you have a source for this, or is it opinion? i would like to read more if more is available..

•••
After thinking about this i think the issue is that we lump anyone doing "business" into the same bucket. For the big companies those that advocate the position of "Com is King" are absolutely right. These companies can afford to experiment, change course, keep 30 domains up and running etc. But for the smaller business they can't afford to do this. They may not be able to afford or justify a prime dot com, so for them a GTLD may be the perfect answer. plus, the very nature of being a small business usually implies dynamic, nimble and willing to take more risks. So they go with gTLD's. I definitely am in the market of small to micro businesses myself and the one or two man shop (a micro business) is fully ready to adopt and use a prime gTLD that they think adequately reflects their business and shows that they are willing to adopt new ideas.

•••
New generations are coming. New ideas, new tactics, new thoughts.

New generations... new ideas... can backfire.

Former Disney Gaston actor dies in firework incident
A man who died trying to launch a firework off the top of his head for the Fourth of July used to perform as Gaston at Disney World.

Didn't the owner of the .xyz registry try to launch .xyz domains off of his head as well?

•••
I predict big future for new gTLDs :!:

•••
As many of us, I'm getting crazy thinking nGTLDs, constantly coming up with different angles. Here's one: Some companies might be more willing to buy a new extension relevant to their industry than a .COM just because new gtlds are not yet "tainted" by the image of evil domain investors preying upon honest people (their thinking). Because there's definitely a lot of that kind of thinking left. Yes, it's getting more relaxed as we speak, and of course smart business people have never had any problems paying for a good domain...

In general, at some point, all business is Internet business, and bye, bye traditional advertising (more or less), and at that point domain names, .coms, .cctlds, new gtlds, and everything in between, will be much more sought after and spending $XXXX for a domain becomes commonplace.

Just thinking out loud here...

•••
On topic: I sold my first .COM in 1998 and I sold my first new gTLD in 2004. It doesn't have to be .COM versus/or gTLDs, it can be both. For some.
You sold your first new gTLD in 2004?? Did you go back to the future, or did you mean 2014?

•••
As many of us, I'm getting crazy thinking nGTLDs, constantly coming up with different angles. Here's one: Some companies might be more willing to buy a new extension relevant to their industry than a .COM just because new gtlds are not yet "tainted" by the image of evil domain investors preying upon honest people (their thinking). Because there's definitely a lot of that kind of thinking left. Yes, it's getting more relaxed as we speak, and of course smart business people have never had any problems paying for a good domain...

In general, at some point, all business is Internet business, and bye, bye traditional advertising (more or less), and at that point domain names, .coms, .cctlds, new gtlds, and everything in between, will be much more sought after and spending $XXXX for a domain becomes commonplace.

Just thinking out loud here...

And compamies such as this, they bought 150 .beer domains.
http://www.thedomains.com/2015/07/0...es-pioneer-program-for-beer-gets-150-domains/

•••
New gTld investors should understand the mentality of VIP domainers..

For example:

You are a .com investor (VIP) and bought BuyShares.com for $17k hoping after 5 years it will sell for $50k

Lets say after one year they are launching .shares and Buy.Shares is available at a premium price of $500.

What will you do now?

Will you go to every nGtld thread and write ".com is the king" or not? Irrespective of thread context...because your 17k is in risk now...

Buy.Shares
BuyShares.com
BuyShares.xyz
BuyShares.web

After 5 years, last 3 might look similar and their price too....

Generation changes
From BuyShares.blogspot.com
BuyShares.com
Buy.Shares

•••
The only permanent thing in the world is change.
Everything changes and nothing stands still.
This is the basic reality of life...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back