IT.COM

opinion 5 Predictions for the Domain Industry in 2017

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I’ve had a few people ask me over email about my predictions for the domain industry next year. Of course, I’m late to the party here as there has been some solid predictions already made by industry veterans far more plugged-in than me.
Prediction #2: Brandable one and two-word .COMs will continue to see good liquidity
We’ve seen a decline in exact-match names and a push towards brandables, or at least I have seen it from where I’m sitting and I think this trend is going to continue into 2017.
Prediction #5: UDRPs will hit an all-time high
With more domain extensions out there and more domain investors out there, more people will be stupid and register trademark domains. Businesses are getting more and more comfortable with the UDRP process and anyone thinking they can squat on trademarks across multiple TLDs are likely going to be hit with a wave of UDRPs. Unfortunately, this also means that plenty of companies will file UDRPs for domains that rightfully belong to the owner. It’s a double-edged sword and unfortunately the people buying domains that clearly violate known trademarks are in some ways creating an environment that also hurts people buying completely legitimate domains since it’s making companies much more comfortable (and used to) the UDRP process...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back