IT.COM

discuss 4L CHIPS: Wasn't it the best example of pump and dump?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
We are all now familiar with the term "PUMP and DUMP" which we daily see in crypto currency markets.

Looking backwards into the time of Chinese premium and 4L domain names reaching $2,500 and then coming back to the floor, don't you think it was the perfect example of pump and dump?

Pumping the price continuously higher and higher and when a peak was attained, dumping it slowing back to the floor price.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I meant bags and scam are 4L, does this tell us something?

Well Bags.com was reported to have recently sold for an undisclosed amount. HERE

Not only are they English dictionary words, but there are a lot more .com's regged and developed ending in bags.com and scam.com than a random chip such as cyxf.com.

Do you really not see the difference between English words such as Bags.com and Scam.com and random 4L CHIPS? There's a reason why domains like Bags.com and Scam.com will, should, and have fetched way more than baseline value of 4L.com CHIPS.

•••
Wkii.com This is one we'll hold for a future sale to a company-obviously a play on Wiki.com that has over 1 billion results. Apart from that who knows how to price these after the "pump" .

•••
Well Bags.com was reported to have recently sold for an undisclosed amount. HERE

Not only are they English dictionary words, but there are a lot more .com's regged and developed ending in bags.com and scam.com than a random chip such as cyxf.com.

Do you really not see the difference between English words such as Bags.com and Scam.com and random 4L CHIPS? There's a reason why domains like Bags.com and Scam.com will, should, and have fetched way more than baseline value of 4L.com CHIPS.

no of course do I see the difference.. I meant is it a coincidence that bags and scam are both 4L?

bags --> bag holder

scam and bag holder come to mind when thinking about the Chinese 4L pumps

Last edited:
•••
Wkii.com This is one we'll hold for a future sale to a company-obviously a play on Wiki.com that has over 1 billion results. Apart from that who knows how to price these after the "pump" .

not an expert on 4L but I think price is the same as before unless you sell to a reseller. Prices might have gone down but I don't think that end-user situation has changed that much. I mean if they want it why would they pay less than 2 years ago? if the 4L makes sense they will pay if it is random with no end-user demand it is worth much less.

Does it have lots of type ins?

Last edited:
•••
not an expert on 4L but I think price is the same as before unless you sell to a reseller. Prices might have gone down but I don't think that end-user situation has changed that much. I mean if they want it why would they pay less than 2 years ago? if the 4L makes sense they will pay if it is random with no end-user demand it is worth much less.

Does it have lots of type ins?
Hi-To be honest I never even checked the type ins because its so close to Wiki.com I really didnt care-the right startup will pay all the $$$ for this name Wkii.com i think. Time will tell-we're in no rush.

Last edited:
•••
4l domains always were waste of money it is old news.

•••
Sorry but, thats just ignorant.

I’ve sold thousands of LLLL.com over the years and always will. This past month I sold hudn $3800, cwat $1200, wobz $3500, reeq $2500, rubk $1850 and some other smaller sales.

4L with decent letters all have a bright future. 4L chips and such with so-so letters should get a bump up in price again this winter like they have the past two years.

•••
dont think it was a pump and dump but these domains were a means of circumventing capital controls of other countries. not something we really have in US but then crypto got popular and it was much easier to liquidate bitcoin than a 4 letter .com so the money shifted there. if anything I personally added some 4 letters to my port and as long as every name you buy is better than your best everyone should have a better port today. Im happy with the attention it got and happy with the names I picked up...thats whats great about domaining no matter the new trend or a new job. there maybe a new job market created with cryptotraders and you can bet the bank that domainers already snagged all the crypto names.. trends come and go but what is certain is every trend past, present and future will need a name to resolve to...and we will be right there waiting for their offers. Domain on! Im still waiting for robots to take over and someone to invent a security system to prevent it...picked up roboticsercurity in king years ago from some guy in france.

•••

Crazy random 4 letter .coms were a waste of money, until the chip craze set it. Solid 4 letter .coms have always had value.

•••
What began as domainer to domainer sales trend, Turned into some nice end user sales, I sold 35 of my 4L.coms, and wasn't even trying to sell them, All were inbound encounters via my email as well as a few of my sales being by direct phone call inquiry.

I still get a lot of offers on the 212 4L.coms i have left. I have had them 11-12 years now, all hand reges, The 35 i sold were pay dirt for renewal fees for pretty much as long as i want to hold the 212 i currently own.

I am going to hold what i have, I believe that after ALL the dust settles, they will bring in some decent sales.

Only time will tell.

Either way, I have enjoyed owning them, 3 are highly developed, They were fun to chase down and hand reg. It's all good.

•••
Sad thing is, that all those idiots who bumped those CHIPS are now pushing bitcoin. I mean that will be total disaster. And years from now You can speak about how I bought one bitcoin for $5000.

•••
Sad thing is, that all those idiots who bumped those CHIPS are now pushing bitcoin. I mean that will be total disaster. And years from now You can speak about how I bought one bitcoin for $5000.

that is how they make their money...

•••

The DS video I posted on page one about CHIPS, was published on November 18th, 2015. That same day, there were eight 4L CHIPS sold on NameJet for an average price of $3,012.75 totaling $24,102.

upload_2017-10-19_1-38-0.png

In comparison, on November 18th, 2015 BTC was an average price of $336.29. Thus, if those 4L CHIP buyers purchased BTC instead of eight 4L CHIPS that day for $24,102, they would have purchased 71.67 BTC (8.95875BTC per $3,012) 71.67 BTC at today's price ($5,600 each) is worth $400,352 (or $50,044 per $3,012 ie the average price of 4L Chip that was purchased on NJ 11/18/2015)

upload_2017-10-19_1-52-21.png

Now, if you value those eight 4L CHIPS at $1,000 each in today's market, it's worth an estimated $8,000. Certainly not anywhere close to the $400,000 valuation should they have purchased 71.67BTC instead of eight 4L.com CHIPS from NJ on November 18, 2015.

Last edited:
•••
•••
sure... also known as long term bag holding or bag and hold investing.

.mobi was also an example of pump and dump. It's a common strategy in domaining.

I don't find .mobi an example of that. MOBI didn't catch up after a couple of years because suddenly "SMARTPHONES" came up, and had a bigger screen then ordinary GSM's/mobiles.
You know : it was also promised before the launch that every mobile device would get a button, with "mobi" on. (So it would be click in a name, and then the mobi-button). There are some other reasons, but lots of promises weren't kept by the registries and in fact also icann.

But now it could be that .mobi catches up again. You never know.
.mobile was also a new extention..(another threat to .mobi) but now we know that extention is not for the general public... mobi will stay, and is still an extention that can have growth.

Last edited:
•••
But now it could be that .mobi catches up again. You never know.
.. mobi will stay, and is still an extention that can have growth.

Amazing that some people still want to believe in .mobi after 10 years. Long term bag holding IMO. Development is 0 as far as I know.

Wonder if 10 years from now some people will still hold on to their 6N numerics claiming that next year they will take off again?

Last edited:
•••
Amazing that some people still want to believe in .mobi after 10 years. Long term bag holding IMO. Development is 0 as far as I know.

Wonder if 10 years from now some people will still hold on to their 6N numerics claiming that next year they will take off again?
That wan't the most important point I was making. The most important point was that the change was not due to "pump and dump." but had other reasons.
In the meantime another company took over .mobi. You never know what they will do. (unlessasking them).

Last edited:
•••
That wan't the most important point I was making. The most important point was that the change was not due to "pump and dump." but had other reasons.

promises were not kep and unrealistic projections were made which is hype(pump). Then the registries sold as many domains to the market as possible. some even at premium prices (dump)

almost all new extensions are hyped when they come out and the ones that aren't die without anyone noticing.

.xxx followed the same pattern as .mobi. We were told all adults sites will be forced to switch to .xxx,(pump) then sex.xxx was sold for $3 million dollars. (dump)What happened after that? Nothing.

We were told .co would replace .com, (pump), then a lot of .co were sold by the registry and o.co was sold for $350k (dump).

A few years back we were told the new extensions will replace .com (pump), then speculators bought millions of domains (dump)

Last edited:
•••
My mobile device has a .com button. Thats it.

•••
My mobile device has a .com button. Thats it.

this is in 2017. In 2020 it will have a .loan, a .kiwi, a .xyz a .wang and hundreds of other buttons.(including .mobi and .tel) if you don't buy in now you will miss out.

•••
promises were not kep and unrealistic projections were made which is hype(pump). Then the registries sold as many domains to the market as possible. some even at premium prices (dump)
That wasn't the only promise. The major cause was the sudden coming of smartphones.(So that .com domainwebsies could appear on the screens, and you can sweep out (zoom) to look better to the text.
There's more on a forum about mobi about all what i want to say about this (.mobi is the only extention that got an own forum together with mobile internet as a whole). But I can't place a linkhere, due to forum regulations here at Namepros.
But it's very logical that new extentions advertise, n the first year and have a strategy.
Do remember the Apple raise on the stockmarket when ipad etc... came and the drop on the stockmarket of Nokia back then. (from 7 years ago as I remember).

In any case : the internet is changing rapidly, and that's indeed true, I don't deny that. And domain name trends can change rapidly also. That's what is true about pump and eventual dump. There's always a kinda risk. (PS I have to do somethingelse now, but there's somethingelse that was interesting 15 years ago, they banned it or planning to ban it and suddenly it is coming back, but that would lead me too far now).

Last edited:
•••
Trisk. (PS I have to do somethingelse now, but there's somethingelse that was interesting 15 years ago, they banned it or planning to ban it and suddenly it is coming back, but that would lead me too far now).

Emojis? :xf.smile:

•••
this is in 2017. In 2020 it will have a .loan, a .kiwi, a .xyz a .wang and hundreds of other buttons.(including .mobi and .tel) if you don't buy in now you will miss out.

AS long as there have been those tld-s there has always been the same talk about those buttons. One thing that is still missing are the buttons.

•••
I heard that Google would help new extensions too. Why not.

•••
At that time in 2015, I owned about 400 4L.com's, one day after checking my spam box, I started seeing an influx of Chinese language emails, asking about 4L.com, many were the same email for different characters. I would have never seen the aeiouv side of it on my own, but now they were only asking for the domains that did not have those letters. Sure enough, I figured it out on another forum what was going on, I did a quick spreadsheet export, got a highlighter, and started circling which was like winning lotto tickets. Today I probably have about 200 4L.com's left, I sold about 70 of my chips, kept 3 of my untouchables without vowels, but it was a gift, and there was absolutely no other end users out there for domains like ZKXJ etc... The people that owned them for several years knew exactly what was up, as they had the traffic, and inquiries, it was as easy as putting 10 in a bundle, and putting it into escrow, and getting $22K payout in a few days, rinse, and repeat, it was simply amazing, and it came around xmas which was even better.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back