Domain Empire

.us 3 letter .us will beat 3 letter .net

Spaceship
Watch
As what I said,I believe 3 letter.us will beat 3 letter.net in the future exclude those platinum .nets,such as:www.net,web.net and others.

Maybe the price of 3 letter.net will not down,but the speed of the price's increase will be slower than other TLD and .us names.

We know,only end user will pay a lot of many for a domain,they buy the name for their business.So they will choice .COM,but it's too valuableness to buy for small business.Then,they will taken .net?NO,they will not.They will take .us or .biz,or other ccTLD.(in Europe).

The value for 3 letter is only for reseller,not for end user.

What do you think it?

Bean

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
as long as you can buy the same three letter .us for $15 wholesale and a three letter .net for $200 wholesale, there's not going to be a contest.

•••
I cant see it happening, because .net is a TLD and .us is a ccTLD - IMO, the latter will always come 2nd.

If you are right though, I will be thrilled!

•••
Interesting thoughts and interesting thread!

.us is firmly finding it's place in the domain world, particularly in the USA. I imagine that within the US this extension (.us) may break even or even surge past .net in popularity and commonality, which means a great boost to .us names. This said, on the world-wide scale, I imagine .net will still hold 2nd behind .com, as it is a global tdl and has wide-spread strength.

.us sure has a ton of potential though...time will tell!

:) Andrew

Last edited:
•••
I don't see it happening either...
.net is newer and more "world-wide" as opposed to .us.... also, .net sounds better and as previously stated is a tld not cctld

•••
Nevermind. I didnt read the post correctly. Sorry please delete.

Last edited:
•••
I often read DNJournal's domain sales story,but I there is no any .net in the 'Highest Reported 2004 Domain Sales',and they only refer very few .net names.Most are .com,and other new TLD and ccTLD.

You cann't find a .net sell to a end user at a high price(I know RYL.net sold for $9450).

No business will use a .net name at this time.If you use a .net name ,the biggest winner is the .com's owner,they got many traffic from .net and without any investment.

In fact .org is much better than .net.

This is only my point,maybe wrong,maybe right.

•••
I ditto that as well, more generic domain names have a chance of outstanding the current domain market.

•••
I definitely doubt that will happen, .net wil always lead, but you never know do you?

•••
csmaster2005 said:
.net is newer and more "world-wide" as opposed to .us.... also, .net sounds better and as previously stated is a tld not cctld

Two of the top three extensions in the world are ccTLD's. Germany's .de is #2 and the UK's .co.uk is now #3 according to a new report on .co.uk at dnjournal.com written by Sedo's Daniel Law ("Versign’s recent brief showed that .co.uk domains hold the number three place out of all registered domains, just behind .de".) .Net trails in 4th place. Whether .us passes .net will all depend on American market acceptance; being cc or global obviously isn't the determing factor in which could be bigger.

Last edited:
•••
Duke said:
csmaster2005 said:

Two of the top three extensions in the world are ccTLD's. Germany's .de is #2 and the UK's .co.uk is now #3 according to a new report on .co.uk at dnjournal.com written by Sedo's Daniel Law ("Versign’s recent brief showed that .co.uk domains hold the number three place out of all registered domains, just behind .de".) .Net trails in 4th place. Whether .us passes .net will all depend on American market acceptance; being cc or global obviously isn't the determing factor in which could be bigger.

true, so a three letter .us is a very good investment for the very very long term

•••
in a few years we will all be looking back and saying "doh!" it was all right there in that thread! I coulda, woulda, shoulda....

REMEMBER WHEN YOU COULD HAND REG 2 LETTER DOMAINS IN .COM AND .NET ALL DAY? I DO, I REMEMBER HAVING A CHOICE OF DOZENS BACK IN THE MID 90'S....AND I ALSO REMEMBER WHEN THERE WERE OVER 800+ UNREGGED PURE 3 LETTER .COMS AND THOUSANDS OF 3 CHARS JUST SITTING THERE UNREGISTERED..AND TONS MORE IN .NET AND .ORG...WHO KNEW? WELL, KNOW YOU DO.. 3 LETTER .US DOMAINS ARE GOING TO BE GOLD...THE FUTURE ALWAYS PATTERNS THE PAST, I HEREBY DECLARE THAT IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS THE VALUE OF GOOD 3 LETTER .US DOMAINS WILL SKYROCKET, AND EVERYONE WILL REMEMBER THIS THREAD. :talk:

Chris

•••
You could try to add something like this to your sites/domains.. ;)

<meta name="Jedi Mind Trick" Content="3 LETTER .US DOMAINS ARE GOING TO BE GOLD">

It never hurts to try, you never know if it'll work or not.....

:lol:

•••
I regret not registering 3-letter .us any earlier :(
Back onto the topic, I do not believe that 3-letter .us would beat 3-letter .net any time soon, if it will.

•••
i hope so even though i think not

•••
To add...
I don't know if it will really matter if 3-letter .us names will ever beat 3-letter .net names. What I'm starting to think is the greater observation is that 3-letter names as a whole (in .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .us) are all going up in value at a very strong percentage gain.

Thus maybe the moral of this all is that it doesn't matter if 3-letter .us names surpass 3-letter .net names. 3-letter names of any of these extensions are great investments and are likely to yeild VERY STRONG returns over both the short and long term.

Just another $.02

•••
zestydomains*com said:
To add...
I don't know if it will really matter if 3-letter .us names will ever beat 3-letter .net names. What I'm starting to think is the greater observation is that 3-letter names as a whole (in .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .us) are all going up in value at a very strong percentage gain.

Thus maybe the moral of this all is that it doesn't matter if 3-letter .us names surpass 3-letter .net names. 3-letter names of any of these extensions are great investments and are likely to yeild VERY STRONG returns over both the short and long term.

Just another $.02
i agree, lets hope my 20-30 3 letter .us rise in value

•••
They are on their way to outer space....as a new wave of companies want their acronyms and all of the old brick and mortar companies continue the progression online, their classic web strategy has always been to have the shortest web address possible.....pair this with the increasing movement of anti-terrorism and us freedom fighting and you have a winning combo for extreme success with three letter .us domains and any useful pure 3 letter domain for that matter with any extension.

•••
What do you think of three letter .tv

I am new here First I want to say great site been reading all day, so many Knowledgeable people. WOW Cool to be here . I have thought three letter.tv I know $500 a year If they were the right letters could be huge like a university esc.tv or sk8.tv. Thank you

•••
equity78 said:
I am new here First I want to say great site been reading all day, so many Knowledgeable people. WOW Cool to be here . I have thought three letter.tv I know $500 a year If they were the right letters could be huge like a university esc.tv or sk8.tv. Thank you

Nice post, equity. I just regged some 3 letter .cc in the hopes they would gain in popularity. There are still some good hand regs in .cc for those of you looking for bargains. I got HHI (Hilton Head Island), MLB (Major League Baseball), OWN (Dictionary Word), PUP (Dictionady Word) and many more.

Heck, last I looked WIN.cc was still available at eNIC.

:tu:

•••
bizbj said:
No business will use a .net name at this time.If you use a .net name ,the biggest winner is the .com's owner,they got many traffic from .net and without any investment.

3 letter domains are a different breed than keyword domains. If you have books.net, you will lose customers to books.com who is in some way a competitor. With 3 letter domains, they are usually used as acronyms. Therefore, the owner of the .com is very likely not going to be a direct competitor and is probably in a totally different industry. If they land on .com looking for you, you probably won't lose them since they will realize the mistake and search again.

•••
equity78 said:

Its too big of a gamble, in an unproven extension. $500 per year can be better invested elsewhere.

•••
funny though greatdomains who are a big player in high end domain sales seem to think there is a very bright future in .tv domains...they actually are starting to favor them over .coms for their listings, and the sale of plasma.tv did alot for the .tv industry as far as making it a well known and valuable commodity if you just have the right ones!...in fact every time I see a dell commercial now I can't help but notice they advertise the website "DELL.TV" at the bottom of the screen...something as american and household as a "tv" surely will see huge success in the coming years on the internet. Just my wooden nickel.

•••
I agree TV is the most well know two letters in the world Even if you don't speak english, Armstrong you are right $500 a lot But I think a University with Great Football and Basketball teams it only Natural where are they on Tv whne will they be on tv go to usc.tv lsu.tv. COmcast Uses CN8.tv Turner TNT.tv Mtv Europe MTV.tv Eisky but could be the biggest payoff convergence down the road Mybe net and Tv Brands Using diff extensions for diff things like Dell.com, Dell.tv. But I agree unproven yet Registry should lower reg fees.

•••
$500 would be peanuts for a company like MTV, and I can see how they would be attracted to MTV.tv (even though Music.TV would have been much better). But as domainers, how many of us can afford to lose $500 per year for such speculation? End-users are notoriously unpredictable, and the way we look at domains doesn't necessarily reflect their mindset. So if you make a mistake in estimating the level of interest in your prospective end-user, then say goodbye to your $500.

I agree that TV is a great acronym, and if they lower their prices to match COM/NET/ORG/INFO/BIZ, then that's the only time they will see widespred interest.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back