Dynadot

discuss 2 Years as a domainer no sale.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rich Trader

Established Member
Impact
Hi, This is Rich Trader. I have been in the domain game since jan 2016. But haven't made even a single sale yet. I own 32 domains. But not even a single sold. I have invested money in buying and renewals.Any suggestion on how to sell would be welcome.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What I see at first glance is a bunch of misspellings eg blockcrpto.com and random letters added to keywords. Everybody can register names like these. I can't see a compelling reason why someone would want to buy these names from you. They will either find another available domain, or attempt to buy better domains from someone. What would you do if you were an end user ?

If you have 32 domains, you are probably paying $200+ in renewal fees every year... for nothing.
Try to liquidate what you can here, drop everything you are not going to develop and use your disposable income to buy better (but fewer) domains. There are still good names in expired auctions in spite of the competition.

Then you'll need patience too. Even good names can take a while to sell. The perfect end user will not come knocking at your door the very next week. Domaining is a game that rewards the patient. Note that patience must not be confused with stubbornness, that is, holding on to bad domains without questioning your strategy.

There are tens of millions of domains for sale on the market vs hundreds of recorded sales per week. Assuming this is the tip of the iceberg and that weekly sales are in the thousands, the odds are still slim you will make a sale because there are lots of domains in competition with yours.
You need to have above average domains to make sales on a regular basis. Everybody can get lucky once, but repeating the feat again and again is difficult.

•••
What I see at first glance is a bunch of misspellings eg blockcrpto.com and random letters added to keywords. Everybody can register names like these. I can't see a compelling reason why someone would want to buy these names from you. They will either find another available domain, or attempt to buy better domains from someone. What would you do if you were an end user ?

If you have 32 domains, you are probably paying $200+ in renewal fees every year... for nothing.
Try to liquidate what you can here, drop everything you are not going to develop and use your disposable income to buy better (but fewer) domains. There are still good names in expired auctions in spite of the competition.

Then you'll need patience too. Even good names can take a while to sell. The perfect end user will not come knocking at your door the very next week. Domaining is a game that rewards the patient. Note that patience must not be confused with stubbornness, that is, holding on to bad domains without questioning your strategy.

There are tens of millions of domains for sale on the market vs hundreds of recorded sales per week. Assuming this is the tip of the iceberg and that weekly sales are in the thousands, the odds are still slim you will make a sale because there are lots of domains in competition with yours.
You need to have above average domains to make sales on a regular basis. Everybody can get lucky once, but repeating the feat again and again is difficult.
How can I sell the whole portfolio? Would I find a buyer of Name Pros?

•••
I would sell the whole portfolio for 2000
If a buyer comes along.
I would like a strategy to market the whole portfolio.

•••
•••
Hi, This is Rich Trader. I have been in the domain game since jan 2016. But haven't made even a single sale yet. I own 32 domains. But not even a single sold. I have invested money in buying and renewals.Any suggestion on how to sell would be welcome.
All .com domains
blockxrp.com
blockbth.com
block1001.com
blockchain1001.com
blublockchain.com
blockchainll.com
blockll.com
blockcrpto.com
buycrpto.com
paycrpto.com
fraudfinserv.com
bluvirus.com

Thanks
Also I would like to say that the domains are registered with godaddy. And have private registration along with that they expire jan 2020. So Upfront investment.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
IMO - Your Quality and your Quantity are both too low...

Domain Quality is the most important factor. Ask yourself "who would buy this domain from me and what would they use it for?" If the answer is not easy or it takes a stretch of the imagination to answer, then likely the domains have no value. (FYI: 99% of the time a misspelled domain is worthless and you have a few.)

Domain Quantity is another factor in making sales. In this industry it is commonly accepted that you may sell 1%-3% of your inventory annually if you have medium quality domains.
Pretending that your 32 names were of average quality that would mean that it could take you up to around 1-3 years to accomplish an end user sale.

I would personally recommend you to do some more research, most probably drop most the names you have now, and start over from scratch. Put yourself in the shoes on an end user before making any more purchases.

Here are a few questions to ask yourself in the future before buying any more domains:
Is the domain unique and not easily replaced by a reg-fee domain?
What would you be willing to pay for a certain domain as an enduser? (if you wouldnt pay $x,xxx for it if you were in that business- then don't expect someone else to)
What use could an enduser have for this domain?
How big is that pool of potential endusers you just identified?
What have similar domains sold for in the past?

•••
IMO - Your Quality and your Quantity are both too low...

Domain Quality is the most important factor. Ask yourself "who would buy this domain from me and what would they use it for?" If the answer is not easy or it takes a stretch of the imagination to answer, then likely the domains have no value. (FYI: 99% of the time a misspelled domain is worthless and you have a few.)

Domain Quantity is another factor in making sales. In this industry it is commonly accepted that you may sell 1%-3% of your inventory annually if you have medium quality domains.
Pretending that your 32 names were of average quality that would mean that it could take you up to around 1-3 years to accomplish an end user sale.

I would personally recommend you to do some more research, most probably drop most the names you have now, and start over from scratch. Put yourself in the shoes on an end user before making any more purchases.

Here are a few questions to ask yourself in the future before buying any more domains:
Is the domain unique and not easily replaced by a reg-fee domain?
What would you be willing to pay for a certain domain as an enduser? (if you wouldnt pay $x,xxx for it if you were in that business- then don't expect someone else to)
What use could an enduser have for this domain?
How big is that pool of potential endusers you just identified?
What have similar domains sold for in the past?
I might as well renew them for 10-15 years at once and hold as long term investment.

•••
I might as well renew them for 10-15 years at once and hold as long term investment.
Ouch.... I wouldn't recommend that!

Don't go throwing good money after bad.

It would help you to learn what you are doing to take the yearly renewals, well, one year at a time. Then you can reassess and adjust as necessary.

You renew 32 junk names for 10 years, then you just spent ~$2300 on 9 years of renewals on bad names.

Instead you could spend that amount on about ~300 reg-fee domains for 1 year. This would give you better odds at getting some quality domains in your profile and give you the benefit of quantity. Plus the benefit of looking at a renewal bill next year to have a better mind to decide what to drop and what to renew.

But just my opinion. Do as you see fit, of course.

Last edited:
•••
1001 is considered a luck number in China. 1001.com sold for 100k in China. So it's luck and valuable to have 1001 combined that with the blockchain and crypto boom it makes for a top notch name and with that ll is read as 2 in roman numbers so the domains I hold are top quality. And would be easily worth north of 100k. Just Saying.

•••
see domainholding's article on numberic domains and Chinese culture profit.

•••
Just trying to help, buddy.

You asked for advice. I gave it.

I will leave you be from here. Best of luck!

•••
Just trying to help, buddy.

You asked for advice. I gave it.

I will leave you be from here. Best of luck!
I really appreciate your input no offense. Just my point of view. Mr. Michael.
Thanks

•••
Put them on auction here, if you get enough to go book another name and start fresh, your ahead.
To renew all for 10 years is 2k and you can do so much better

•••
Also I would like to say that the domains are registered with godaddy. And have private registration along with that they expire jan 2020. So Upfront investment.
What you have invested has got nothing to do with the sale value. It only colours your judgement. I have a name barn-owls.com that I registered in 2001 to use on Ebay. I've renewed it every year since then. Does that mean that it is worth more than NewCoinWeek.com which cost me $6.69 a few days ago - I think not. :)

Why did you register the names for more than a year?

The bottom line - You probably aren't going to sell any of the names unless you do some marketing. Going out and buying more doesn't teach you anything. Spend a month or two rading up on domain name selling, and see what you can do. Hopefully you will have some success, and you can come back and show us we were wrong.:)

Remember, to sell a name, a buyer has to be able to contact you and make an offer, you need to be able to respond, and if a price is agreed, then you need to have a payment method. At the moment, it doesn't look as if you have much of that set up.

•••
other review is you sales strategy. It may be that you need to dispose of 75% (say) of your names, and use the money to pick up some other names.

•••
What you have invested has got nothing to do with the sale value. It only colours your judgement. I have a name barn-owls.com that I registered in 2001 to use on Ebay. I've renewed it every year since then. Does that mean that it is worth more than NewCoinWeek.com which cost me $6.69 a few days ago - I think not. :)

Why did you register the names for more than a year?

The bottom line - You probably aren't going to sell any of the names unless you do some marketing. Going out and buying more doesn't teach you anything. Spend a month or two rading up on domain name selling, and see what you can do. Hopefully you will have some success, and you can come back and show us we were wrong.:)

Remember, to sell a name, a buyer has to be able to contact you and make an offer, you need to be able to respond, and if a price is agreed, then you need to have a payment method. At the moment, it doesn't look as if you have much of that set up.
Thanks for the positive motivation. I will setup a payment link and do the advised methods ASAP.

•••
1001 is considered a luck number in China. 1001.com sold for 100k in China. So it's luck and valuable to have 1001 combined that with the blockchain and crypto boom it makes for a top notch name and with that ll is read as 2 in roman numbers so the domains I hold are top quality. And would be easily worth north of 100k. Just Saying.
This is my rationale behind buying them and holding long term.

•••

That would be the biggest mistake you could make. Unfortunately these domains have no value, could someone throw you a couple bucks on here? Maybe, doubtful but maybe.

Crypto is not crpto, just like foex is not Forex. Do not renew those names, it would have been better to buy one good name for $1,000 since I see you said you regged 32 names til 2020 at what $9 a year, it's going to be tough to get that $1,152 back.

You have to decide if you really want to be a domain investor. An investment in crypto back in 2016 would have been far more lucrative on $1,100.

•••
This is my rationale behind buying them and holding long term.

Bro, china has banned crypto trading, if I have understood the news correctly.

•••
•••
That would be the biggest mistake you could make. Unfortunately these domains have no value, could someone throw you a couple bucks on here? Maybe, doubtful but maybe.

Crypto is not crpto, just like foex is not Forex. Do not renew those names, it would have been better to buy one good name for $1,000 since I see you said you regged 32 names til 2020 at what $9 a year, it's going to be tough to get that $1,152 back.

You have to decide if you really want to be a domain investor. An investment in crypto back in 2016 would have been far more lucrative on $1,100.
I mainly bought to sell to end user in emerging markets like asia. So sometime names are misspelled crpto can maybe still be read as crypto. Who decided the spelling? CRY-PTO or CRPTO?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back