IT.COM

2 newbie questions

NameSilo
Watch
Hi, i have 2 simple newb questions.

I want a host for 10-20 sites, some blogs, some mini sites etc. (No traffic at the moment, will build it up)

Should i go for shared or reseller?

Does it matter for the host which operation system i use, Windows, linux, Os...?

Thx

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your second question is easy, Linux,

As for your first question I would choose reseller, cause if you want to sell them its easier to give the buyer the cpanel login and let them get what they want. Rather then you having to zip up a site with the databse and emailing it to them.

•••
Your second question is easy, Linux,

As for your first question I would choose reseller, cause if you want to sell them its easier to give the buyer the cpanel login and let them get what they want. Rather then you having to zip up a site with the databse and emailing it to them.

Thanks.

Is it required to have Linux?
(i have windows)
Most hosting companys doesnt mention any operation system at their sites.
Does that mean it doesnt matter what i have... or is it just "common knowledge" that they only support linux...?

•••
Most run Linux but windows will work too.

Windows cost more then linux so most companys go with linux.

•••
Go with a reseller plan.

•••
You'll find a lot (most) hosts will run their servers with Linux, as it's a more cost-effective solution for a shared environment. Windows hosts are usually explicitly labeled as such.

I'd recommend going with a good reseller account. If it were a couple or a few domains, shared would do the trick. However, once you start getting up there organization becomes an issue, and with a reseller account, it makes things easier to keep track of really.

•••
Thanks.

(i have windows)
Most hosting companys doesnt mention any operation system at their sites.
Does that mean it doesnt matter what i have... or is it just "common knowledge" that they only support linux...?

To choose linux or windows is a personnel preference and more than that it depends on your needs. If you need MSSQl or ASP.Net you should choose windows. Other wise you can choose linux. What do you mean by (i have windows)? I assume you have windows in your home PC. That is not a problem if you host in a linux server. And most of the host specify what OS they are supporting. Some support both linux and windows.

•••
(i have windows)

The OS that you're using on your PC is not important, if that's what you're asking. You can run Windows on it, and have the host running Linux, it's a very (probably most common) situation.

A significant advantage of a reseller account would be that in case one of your sites gets really popular in a very short time, so much so that the host has to stop its activity, it is only the end user account that gets suspended. The other sites, on different end user accounts will not be affected.

However, reseller accounts tend to be more expensive, and you don't even have traffic to your sites yet. If money is tight, it's good to know that shared hosting will still work just fine.

•••
I suppose shared web hosting account for the multiply domain names is better. Your platform will depend on the sites you have and web applications you run

•••
Linux based hosting is more secure and is preffered because linux environment is free. In this way is possible to decrease costs and to have more clients.

•••
Shared web host will be fine for you. But if that is the network of the partner web sites I would recommend you go for the reseller account. Most of the web hosting providers will be able to offer you as web hosting as reseller accounts

•••
You will be fine with Linux based shared hosting.

•••
research your shared

Make sure you do not pay a premium for having more than one domain (ie extra fee for add on domains). Some shared hosts like to charge several dollars (5-10 extra) more per month for this level of service. With some research from the hosting offers here on namepros you should be able to find something. Make sure you back up your sites!

•••
why reseller? the only difference is they have a cpanel of their own which is not really useful, one cpanel is really enough just make sure to organize those files. id rather buy the extra bandwidth and space rather than its own cpanel. :)

•••
Since they are mini-sites and you are in the process of building them, plus you want to cut costs; shared hosting is fine. As far as platform is concerned, I prefer linux; it depends on your preference though.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back