IT.COM

poll 1k offr.. with $20 min.. what goes through buyers mind?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

would you accept it or counter? if so how much?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes I'd take his first offer of 1k in this case

• I'd counter with 2-4k

• I'd counter with 5-10k

• counter with 10k+

• I'd counter but not sure how much

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

alcy

Top Member
Impact
got today a $1000 right off the bat offer on gd auctions (so its official/binding as they come) .... there is no bin there.. its for a one word plural noun .org domain... that actuially does in a way (or could) represent an organization.. of people... fitting a particular viewpoint in this case.. so its not like airconditioners.org or something like that.. where ext does not quite fit with keyword..
to give you vague idea.. think something like...........idealists..org

.net equivalent is 14 years old.
com should be round 20

my question is... would you take it or counter it.. if so how much? its just a 2017 handreg domain.. with good reg history archive as per foto attached.. so this isn't about roi.. which is great.. but just trying to understand the buyer's mind and approach here.

trying to gather some views from people who've seen more of these than me... in particular it intereat me to hear what you think it means in terms of potential negotiations when someone right off the bet says $1000 offer.. when min price is $20.. as I like to put for all or most of my domains.

thanks for taking the time to comment. hoping this can benefit others in similar situations.

Attachments

• 345t3454.JPG
    345t3454.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At the end of the day, it is about money ...

1. You said "its just a 2017 handreg domain" ... so the ROI is good.
2. What do you honestly thing about this name? What are the chances to get a better offer for it?
3. You can get $1,000 for the name. With this amount of money, what can you buy? 4 or maybe 5 LLLL.com? A better .com maybe?

Last edited:
•••
You say its binding but unfortunately you get many non responding bidders on Godaddy.

This is a small deal so odds are good. But dont count your money yet.

•••
You say its binding but unfortunately you get many non responding bidders on Godaddy.

Its binding if he accepts the offer, unless the bidder wants to get blacklisted.

•••
Most of my domain sales have started with $1000 offer. It signifies that the buyer is serious.

If you happy with the price, take the offer.

•••
My 2 cents:

1. check if .com and .net are developed? If yes you should counter with a significant amount
2. how much is the .com worth? .net and .org should have at least 10% value of the .com
3. always counter! I think that @Silentptnr made a good proposal
4. good luck!:xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Its binding if he accepts the offer, unless the bidder wants to get blacklisted.

Thats what I am saying. You get non responding bidders there all the time. That get blacklisted and then has to get a completely new email to get a new account. Not that hard to do. Even people paying 80 usd to use their offer service are non responsive 50% of the time.

•••
A $1000 offer doesn't always mean they want it badly and are prepared to pay more. There are some people that are the "take it or leave it" types that do not like negotiating, they'll offer their max from the jump if they believe it to be fair, especially through anonymous sales platforms like GD and Sedo.

There is no way to feel out their interest. I've had times where I've received $1K and even $5K offers on regfee names via GD and Sedo that I countered and they walked. They could've been turned-off, they could've reconsidered, lost "the itch", or found something else while being presented this new number.

Perfect example. I myself just gave a $1K offer on a name on GD auctions just a few hours ago (1K was their min though). If they counter me, I'm not going to bother with it.

Last edited:
•••
I think if I was offered 1000 I would counter 2000 and accept 1500-- JMO the buyer really wants that name and they never give your their max first offer

•••
Perfect example. I myself just gave a $1K offer on a name on GD auctions just a few hours ago (1K was their min though). If they counter me, I'm not going to bother with it.

Yup, I do that frequently.... I present what I think is a fair offer saying to myself if I get it great, if not so be it. I walked from 3 counters last month. Funny thing is I sometimes offer more than what Huge Domains is asking for the equivalent and the bids rarely get accepted. Most of the once I offer on are domains with two words in .com. A lot of times I will flag the domains and pick them up at godaddy upon expiry.

•••

nobody counting any money

I said its as binding as they come. cause it is. most people are serious and do not want to get banned or bother with some fake seconadry accounts, risks and verifications. they just prefer to pay. in same you are serous about it and just about everyone on here. but.. for sure.. non paying bidders happen everywhere. ty

Last edited:
•••
I would accept immediately on gd auctions, that is probably their max bid hoping to nail a domain they decide they want. If you don't take it you risk losing the sale altogether.

•••
nobody counting any money

I said its as binding as they come. cause it is. most people are serious and do not want to get banned or bother with some fake seconadry accounts, risks and verifications. they just prefer to pay. in same you are serous about it and just about everyone on here. but.. for sure.. non paying bidders happen everywhere.

Maybe thats the case when you get two offers of 50$ per year. I am just giving you input from someone that does actual business there. We did more than 6 figures via godaddy auctions last 12 months.. And you are wrong...

•••
Maybe thats the case when you get two offers of 50$ per year. I am just giving you input from someone that does actual business there. We did more than 6 figures via godaddy auctions last 12 months.. And you are wrong...

you will need to get all the stats for completed vs non completed sales on gd, not just yoru own, or mine, to say who is right or wrong. otherwise we sit and guess all day long.

but if you like we can get better picture from @Joe Styler
your knowledge about gd sales stats is a drop in the ocean compared to his.

Last edited:
•••
you will need to get all the stats for completed vs non completed sales on gd, not just yoru own, or mine, to say who is right or wrong. otherwise we sit and guess all day long.

but if you like we can get better picture from @Joe Styler
your knowledge about gd sales stats is a drop in the ocean compared to his.

I got a bucket you might have a drop. I saw what you are selling and can only conclude you move very little inventory. One of my clients spent 2.4 M USD on acquisitions on godaddy auctions May to July last year. I think it was a little more than a drop for them.

But please keep educating me. You one of those experts thats been in the industry for decades and have heaps of experience but only just registered on Namepros. Alot of you guys cropping up...

Last edited:
•••
I got a bucket you might have a drop. I saw what you are selling and can only conclude you move very little inventory. One of my clients spent 2.4 M USD on acquisitions on godaddy auctions may to july last year. I think it was a little more than a drop for them.

But please keep educating me. You one of those experts thats been in the industry for decades and have heaps of experience but only just registered on Namepros. Alot of you guys cropping up...

it's all good.. I don't really care if I'm an expert.. but I think you do.. so here... you can be the expert if you wanna. and if you don't wanna be the expert then I really don't care about that either.

but putting all this aside, that changes nothing to the fact @Joe Styler would need to provide stats abotu how many buyers end up paying vs how many do not, on gd auctions.. in order for us to conclude this based on fact.. and not based on opinion.

I am sure he will be kind enough to do it for us.

all the best to ya. ciao.

•••
You have to counter. For us. For future sales. Taking 1k means offer was too high

•••
as follow up of the thread... I decided to counter.. it does not look like buyer is able or wiling to go much higher but did get a $400 increased offer back. I should be closing this sale soon.

I thank all who helped, voted, gave comment.... the real experts, the wanna be self proclaimed experts, and all the new domainers of course who will be future of domaining when all the old timers are dead.

take care all.

•••
as follow up of the thread... I decided to counter.. it does not look like buyer is able or wiling to go much higher but did get a $400 increased offer back. I should be closing this sale soon.

I thank all who helped, voted, gave comment.... the real experts, the wanna be self proclaimed experts, and all the new domainers of course who will be future of domaining when all the old timers are dead.

take care all.

I mean this so so so so so so so so so so so sincerely . . . Thank you. You did ALL of us here a favor. If no one else sees it, I see it! Had you accepted $1k from the jump, the end user, perhaps, would have rightfully concluded, imo, that he paid too much for the domain. And next time that $1k starting offer may have been $500. If you have vr.com and want to accept the first offer of 5,000,000 USD, go ahead;) Most of us will not ever have that kind of domain to be able to command such an opening bid!

•••

take care all.

Well done on listening to the minority here. Too many without the balls or experience to realise it was a serious offer. Had you listened you would've lost $400.

Congrats on the sale!

•••
Rarely does someone make a decent offer that they are not willing to increase some. Most of the time you can get more money out of them but don't be greedy or they will walk.

•••
Well done on listening to the minority here. Too many without the balls or experience to realise it was a serious offer. Had you listened you would've lost $400.

Congrats on the sale!

Has nothing to do with balls or anything else. 1k is a great offer for a recent hand reg. The OP got lucky with a counter, it could very easily have gone the other way, in fact the majority of times it does. Offer me 1k for a recent hand reg and you are welcome to it.

So yes congrats to the OP, well played and I am truly happy for you.

•••
Rarely does someone make a decent offer that they are not willing to increase some. Most of the time you can get more money out of them but don't be greedy or they will walk.

I would have to agree with this one.

I think a safe conclusion to draw for anyone's future negotiations form this thread is that if someone starts off with 1k offer when they see 20$ min box available... means (1) they are very intereasted in the name.. and [consequently] (2) they are willing to pay at least a bit more.. so why not make the counter.. and find out just how much more. that was my thought process.

•••
Has nothing to do with balls or anything else. 1k is a great offer for a recent hand reg. The OP got lucky with a counter, it could very easily have gone the other way, in fact the majority of times it does. Offer me 1k for a recent hand reg and you are welcome to it.

So yes congrats to the OP, well played and I am truly happy for you.

well.. okay.. but even if it did have something to do with my balls then that's fine too right?
jk.. ty for your help.

•••
The OP got lucky with a counter...

That would imply the odds weren't in his favour, but they were. The OP was holding all the cards after they made an initial $1,000 offer. He didn't get lucky at all.

•••
That would imply the odds weren't in his favour, but they were. The OP was holding all the cards after they made an initial $1,000 offer. He didn't get lucky at all.

I'd tend to agree here.

as I just stated above.. imo the odds are indeed in the seller's favor when an initial offer of 1k is made, in a box that says $20 min.

cheers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back