Dynadot

poll 1k offr.. with $20 min.. what goes through buyers mind?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

would you accept it or counter? if so how much?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes I'd take his first offer of 1k in this case

• I'd counter with 2-4k

• I'd counter with 5-10k

• counter with 10k+

• I'd counter but not sure how much

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

alcy

Top Member
Impact
got today a $1000 right off the bat offer on gd auctions (so its official/binding as they come) .... there is no bin there.. its for a one word plural noun .org domain... that actuially does in a way (or could) represent an organization.. of people... fitting a particular viewpoint in this case.. so its not like airconditioners.org or something like that.. where ext does not quite fit with keyword..
to give you vague idea.. think something like...........idealists..org

.net equivalent is 14 years old.
com should be round 20

my question is... would you take it or counter it.. if so how much? its just a 2017 handreg domain.. with good reg history archive as per foto attached.. so this isn't about roi.. which is great.. but just trying to understand the buyer's mind and approach here.

trying to gather some views from people who've seen more of these than me... in particular it intereat me to hear what you think it means in terms of potential negotiations when someone right off the bet says $1000 offer.. when min price is $20.. as I like to put for all or most of my domains.

thanks for taking the time to comment. hoping this can benefit others in similar situations.

Attachments

• 345t3454.JPG
    345t3454.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Take the offer and close the sale.

•••
take the deal and go for a better one.

•••
The drops appear more than once too, so take the offer

•••
tnx for all your votes.
and comment.

yes to take offr is the easy breezy way out of this.

but for fun of it, and educaton material for future domainers, I thought I'd make thread out of this... and ask waht must be going through buyer mind.. when he begins with 1k offr.. when minimum is $20... and no bin.. my vote is that he wants it pretty bad and that his first offer is not necessarily max.

this is just for educational purposes.. I am already aware the roi is good.. but learning about the mind of buyer, its endless posibiilities and scenarios, is an neverending education that I think is worth discussing and learning more about. hence this thread.

clearly, someone who makes first offer of 1k on min $20 domain of this "not liquid at all" sort.. represents a different buyer type, with different intent, than someone who say makes $20 first offer... or $100.. etc... as I said.. the posisibilities are almost endless. and the art of negotiation is one we never really stop learning. ;)

Last edited:
•••
There are lots of answers you can find. He might have a buyer already and can instantly sell it- thats my first. He might have plenty experience and money, but manages his time well. His attitude is take it or leave it, on to next project. If he offered some joke price, you would not have taken it seriously. If I did that and made a serious wholesale offer and the seller delayed, I might disappear and move on. The ability to walk away is important in negotiations.

•••
good points . thanks.
as I stated, the possibilities are quite endless aren't they.. fascinating really... to get into the buyer's head... I guess that how best of best negotiators.. in domaining or other..manage to extract best deals.. who can get deeper into buyer head.. how many steps ahead can yuo be.. like chess.

either way, the offer is binding for 7 days. so no one is quite walkign away from anythin that fast. unless they care not for their godaddy account. but I agree.. for some direct inbound email offer, anyone can walk from anything at any time.. and nothing happens. I guess you don't pay the 20% to gd auctions for nothing!

thanks
cheers

•••
unfortunately getting offer via godaddy will let you only with assumption, and you will never know till you close the deal and check whois after days, it may domain investor, broker or end user, may ask what is the price that you did put in your mind for this domain?

•••
The buyer wants the name. A $1000 offer is more likely to be taken serious than a $20 offer.

•••
unfortunately getting offer via godaddy will let you only with assumption, and you will never know till you close the deal and check whois after days, it may domain investor, broker or end user, may ask what is the price that you did put in your mind for this domain?

that's true.

well..it's not a liquid domain. this name in .com like many other one word .com doamins would be quite valuable. but because its org and non liquid I honestly try not to put values to them in my head.. and simply let it be worth whtever it is worth to the enduser. it's how it works in most cases anyway. its what they wanna pay for it. that is the domain worth. at least for the non liquid stuff.

that being said, it is this part about "what is it worth to them" that I am still trying to determine... I would tend to argue that first offer of 1k.. with 20$ min.. is not the max of what its worth to them.. of course other opinions may vary.. hence different vote results..

so that being said, it is as I said here before, more about knowing his mind.. rather than my mind/my price ;)

•••
If you can accept not to close the sale you can reply with 2.5K and see what happens.

•••
If you can accept not to close the sale you can reply with 2.5K and see what happens.
@alcy i will go with this... after all, you can always accept his initial offer if he doesn't flow with your counter.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I would counter needing 2k (double) for the name but offer to meet in the middle at 1500 (50% more than if you accept 1k).

I wouldn't go higher.

•••
They offered that because they are serious. I don't think you'd lose the sale by countering at $2k.

•••
They offered that because they are serious. I don't think you'd lose the sale by countering at $2k.

I once offered 1k and it was a binding deal. Overnight I came up with a better domain name (for me) as a hand reg. The owner came back with 1.5k and I declined. Then he said ok 1k and I said too bad you had your chance. At 1k he could have just let it go and pocketed the money. I was kinda glad he countered because it gave me an out.

There is always a chance of that. Personally I would take the 1k if it was just an ok hand reg.

•••
I once offered 1k and it was a binding deal. Overnight I came up with a better domain name (for me) as a hand reg. The owner came back with 1.5k and I declined. Then he said ok 1k and I said too bad you had your chance. At 1k he could have just let it go and pocketed the money. I was kinda glad he countered because it gave me an out.

There is always a chance of that. Personally I would take the 1k if it was just an ok hand reg.

Great point! I totally agree. Most end-users normally are considering more than just one name. Often buyers that come in with a very strong initial offer are not looking to get into a long back and forth negotiation. I wouldn't risk it because there is no guarantee he'll ever get another buyer for that name.

•••
@alcy i will go with this... after all, you can always accept his initial offer if he doesn't flow with your counter.

You're assuming that the OP's name is the only one he's considering. Most serious buyers are considering a few different names. Plus, delay is deadly because he runs the risk of the buyer finding a better name and moving on. I've done it and had it done to me. So, there are certainly risk with that strategy.

•••
For my own experience, i got an offer for a domain ranging from $300- $2800. Some are hand reg, others are aged domains. For me to get more revenue in terms of sale, i usually counter-offer and once being done 90% of the buyer walk away. Maybe I am not good on negotiation but the bottom line is, you might be loosing the sale and let the buyer slip away. But still at the end of the day you can just ask yourself how badly you need the sale or are you willing to gamble and hoping a better offer may come in the future?

Last edited:
•••
IMO...Buyer is serious and doesn't want to waste his time as well as yours..

•••
Follow the poll results...... there is your answer

•••
They have made a $1k offer. So likely they are a serious buyer and not a time waster.

I would counter with $2-2.5k.

That gives you room to get a final sale price of between $1.25-2k
while not scaring or p***ing off the buyer.

Last edited:
•••
Are you happy with $1K and your ROI? If yes, take it and reinvest in a couple of other regs.. If you were absolutely convinced you could get more for this domain or that is was worth more, I doubt you would have opened this thread.

•••
Are you happy with $1K and your ROI? If yes, take it and reinvest in a couple of other regs.. If you were absolutely convinced you could get more for this domain or that is was worth more, I doubt you would have opened this thread.

as I mentioned above, I consider non liquid domains to be worth whatever buyer is willing to pay for them. therefore it isn't about what price I had in mind. but rather the reason for thread is to find out what price the buyer may have in mind. based on how he approached negotiations etc.

thank you

•••
I once needed a domain very much and wanted a GoDaddy Broker to acquire a domain.
My min offer was xxx and my high offer was xxxx – the seller even rejected my high bid and quadrupled (4x) my high offer. I finally bought it for my high offer but my bottom line is: many people won't start with their highest offer – if you make a counter-offer f.e. 3000$ he might be willing to pay more for the domain or just increase his offer. Good luck with your sale!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back