IT.COM

poll 1k offr.. with $20 min.. what goes through buyers mind?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

would you accept it or counter? if so how much?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes I'd take his first offer of 1k in this case

• I'd counter with 2-4k

• I'd counter with 5-10k

• counter with 10k+

• I'd counter but not sure how much

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

alcy

Top Member
Impact
got today a $1000 right off the bat offer on gd auctions (so its official/binding as they come) .... there is no bin there.. its for a one word plural noun .org domain... that actuially does in a way (or could) represent an organization.. of people... fitting a particular viewpoint in this case.. so its not like airconditioners.org or something like that.. where ext does not quite fit with keyword..
to give you vague idea.. think something like...........idealists..org

.net equivalent is 14 years old.
com should be round 20

my question is... would you take it or counter it.. if so how much? its just a 2017 handreg domain.. with good reg history archive as per foto attached.. so this isn't about roi.. which is great.. but just trying to understand the buyer's mind and approach here.

trying to gather some views from people who've seen more of these than me... in particular it intereat me to hear what you think it means in terms of potential negotiations when someone right off the bet says $1000 offer.. when min price is $20.. as I like to put for all or most of my domains.

thanks for taking the time to comment. hoping this can benefit others in similar situations.

Attachments

• 345t3454.JPG
    345t3454.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Take the offer and close the sale.

•••
The buyer wants the name. A $1000 offer is more likely to be taken serious than a $20 offer.

•••
as follow up of the thread... I decided to counter.. it does not look like buyer is able or wiling to go much higher but did get a $400 increased offer back. I should be closing this sale soon.

I thank all who helped, voted, gave comment.... the real experts, the wanna be self proclaimed experts, and all the new domainers of course who will be future of domaining when all the old timers are dead.

take care all.

•••
The drops appear more than once too, so take the offer

•••
There are lots of answers you can find. He might have a buyer already and can instantly sell it- thats my first. He might have plenty experience and money, but manages his time well. His attitude is take it or leave it, on to next project. If he offered some joke price, you would not have taken it seriously. If I did that and made a serious wholesale offer and the seller delayed, I might disappear and move on. The ability to walk away is important in negotiations.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I would counter needing 2k (double) for the name but offer to meet in the middle at 1500 (50% more than if you accept 1k).

I wouldn't go higher.

•••
A $1000 offer doesn't always mean they want it badly and are prepared to pay more. There are some people that are the "take it or leave it" types that do not like negotiating, they'll offer their max from the jump if they believe it to be fair, especially through anonymous sales platforms like GD and Sedo.

There is no way to feel out their interest. I've had times where I've received $1K and even $5K offers on regfee names via GD and Sedo that I countered and they walked. They could've been turned-off, they could've reconsidered, lost "the itch", or found something else while being presented this new number.

Perfect example. I myself just gave a $1K offer on a name on GD auctions just a few hours ago (1K was their min though). If they counter me, I'm not going to bother with it.

Last edited:
•••
I am working from home today so I don't have the full numbers but it is sub 1% of deals that are not completed last time I checked.

•••
take the deal and go for a better one.

•••
They offered that because they are serious. I don't think you'd lose the sale by countering at $2k.

I once offered 1k and it was a binding deal. Overnight I came up with a better domain name (for me) as a hand reg. The owner came back with 1.5k and I declined. Then he said ok 1k and I said too bad you had your chance. At 1k he could have just let it go and pocketed the money. I was kinda glad he countered because it gave me an out.

There is always a chance of that. Personally I would take the 1k if it was just an ok hand reg.

•••
You have to counter. For us. For future sales. Taking 1k means offer was too high

•••
as follow up of the thread... I decided to counter.. it does not look like buyer is able or wiling to go much higher but did get a $400 increased offer back. I should be closing this sale soon.

I thank all who helped, voted, gave comment.... the real experts, the wanna be self proclaimed experts, and all the new domainers of course who will be future of domaining when all the old timers are dead.

take care all.

Well done on listening to the minority here. Too many without the balls or experience to realise it was a serious offer. Had you listened you would've lost $400.

Congrats on the sale!

•••
I Will do Counter with $7k (Newbie Domainer) :xf.wink:

thanks for input ;)
in my case that'd be too high for buyer.

domain all sold ...1.5k and paid. cheers.

•••
tnx for all your votes.
and comment.

yes to take offr is the easy breezy way out of this.

but for fun of it, and educaton material for future domainers, I thought I'd make thread out of this... and ask waht must be going through buyer mind.. when he begins with 1k offr.. when minimum is $20... and no bin.. my vote is that he wants it pretty bad and that his first offer is not necessarily max.

this is just for educational purposes.. I am already aware the roi is good.. but learning about the mind of buyer, its endless posibiilities and scenarios, is an neverending education that I think is worth discussing and learning more about. hence this thread.

clearly, someone who makes first offer of 1k on min $20 domain of this "not liquid at all" sort.. represents a different buyer type, with different intent, than someone who say makes $20 first offer... or $100.. etc... as I said.. the posisibilities are almost endless. and the art of negotiation is one we never really stop learning. ;)

Last edited:
•••
If you can accept not to close the sale you can reply with 2.5K and see what happens.

•••
They offered that because they are serious. I don't think you'd lose the sale by countering at $2k.

•••
They have made a $1k offer. So likely they are a serious buyer and not a time waster.

I would counter with $2-2.5k.

That gives you room to get a final sale price of between $1.25-2k
while not scaring or p***ing off the buyer.

Last edited:
•••
Most of my domain sales have started with $1000 offer. It signifies that the buyer is serious.

If you happy with the price, take the offer.

•••
I have accepted a number of offers in the past through GoDaddy auctions, only for that user to not pay and end up getting banned.

I only consider a domain sold once the money arrives in my account. Until then, I just think of it as an inquiry.

intereating. you are the 2nd to say this.
I for one have sold a few things there too and my unpaid buyer ratio was say only 20%.

but yes, non paying bidders are everywhere. I didn't say there aren't. I just said godfaddy auctions is about as binding as they come... because for instance, it doesn't compare to incoming email iqnuiries parked pages or otherwise.. where buyer is free to disappear anhy day, after making whatever offer.. with zero consequwence.. whereas on gd, there are major consequences.. which most do not want to mess around with.. I think even sedo if memeory serves wel is less strict than gd about non pying buyers... so imo most people will pay. there is another guy on here who says more than 50% of people do not pay.. and me who says more than 50% do pay. it's a simple thing to resolve for good.. and we're waiting on @Joe Styler .. to give rought idea % how many are non paying overall. all across gd of course. cause my sasles and his are a drop compared to all gd sales.

as of now I accepted his last offer.. turns out we went for another round of negotations. so its 1.5k sale.. pending his payment. offer was accepted 30 mins ago. I hope it works out fine. seems the buyer really wants the name for a personal site project, from his comments.

cheers, thanks for al inputs.

Last edited:
•••
You have to counter. For us. For future sales. Taking 1k means offer was too high

no I don't agree
most buyers buy only once

"I already do own a domain "

•••
I am working from home today so I don't have the full numbers but it is sub 1% of deals that are not completed last time I checked.

thanks Joe. appreciate your time. I guess its a long way from the 50% failure rate the other person seems to have been mentioning. its good to get facts straight.

•••
Follow the poll results...... there is your answer

•••
I once needed a domain very much and wanted a GoDaddy Broker to acquire a domain.
My min offer was xxx and my high offer was xxxx – the seller even rejected my high bid and quadrupled (4x) my high offer. I finally bought it for my high offer but my bottom line is: many people won't start with their highest offer – if you make a counter-offer f.e. 3000$ he might be willing to pay more for the domain or just increase his offer. Good luck with your sale!

•••
At the end of the day, it is about money ...

1. You said "its just a 2017 handreg domain" ... so the ROI is good.
2. What do you honestly thing about this name? What are the chances to get a better offer for it?
3. You can get $1,000 for the name. With this amount of money, what can you buy? 4 or maybe 5 LLLL.com? A better .com maybe?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back