IT.COM

150 Domain tips

NameSilo
Watch

IconPacks

.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hi guys,

Thought it would be interesting to create a thread where everyone contributes a few tips to make a Top 150 domain tips list. Just general snippets of advice/knowledge that might prove useful to other domainers/developers out there. If we get over 150 tips I'll update the thread title. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules
- only 1 sentence per tip.
- must relate to domain names (buying/selling/development etc...)
- tips not facts, so can be opinions.
- no duplicates.

I'll start, with 5 from me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Create brandable domains by replacing the first letter(s) of a common word.

2) Don't start work developing an idea around a domain that you don't yet own thinking you can grab it when you're ready!

3) Don't use hyphens in the domain if you can help it.

4) Does the domain look good in upper and lower case?

5) Say the domain out loud before registering it, is it easily pronounceable over the phone?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
these are nice tips

thanks alot

•••
•••
Checks for Trademarks. You should do this before registering your domain name. Search as many existing trademarks as possible and look for possible conflicts. Obviously you want to choose a name that is unlikely to cause you any legal problems. Trademark research can be done at the following sites:

U.S Patent and Trademark Office - http://www.uspto.gov

Thomas Register - http://www.thomasregister.com

The Trademark Association - http://www.inta.org

If you need help with re-searching your domain names try the following websites:
BrainPulse - http://www.brainpulse.com/domain_name_registration_india/domain_name_registration_india.php

•••
Thanks a lot for the tips. :)

•••
RegisterRants said:
30) Don't make this your primary business.

I dispute this. Why would anyone think they could get into a business part time and be a serious competitor? Remember, some folks have been doing domains for a long time --over 10 years already --and there is a major advantage to first movers! There are now thousands of people in this business. If you want to compete, you need to work hard and be hungry. You need to learn the business from the bottom up, and you need to stake your own claim. You need to pour your heart and soul into it and do it full time. Take a lesson from Frank Schilling, the world's most successful domainer --he is a workaholic. So, here is my re-write of #30:

30) If you want to make money in the long term, make domains your primary job and do domains full time.

•••
Hi guys, I'm new to domaining, but here is something which I experience and hence may serve as a tip:

164) After you register a domain, you have a 4 day refund period*, so use it wisely.

* I don't know if this feature is available for all registrars though?

•••
wakish said:
Hi guys, I'm new to domaining, but here is something which I experience and hence may serve as a tip:

164) After you register a domain, you have a 4 day refund period*, so use it wisely.

* I don't know if this feature is available for all registrars though?

moniker has it now, but moniker is kinda shitty for me as for now

•••
Shooting from the hip....

If you're buying a name to sell, but can't think of anyone, company, business...etc (immediately, off the top of your head) to buy it, that's a (very rough/shoot from the hip) indicator if you're on the right/wrong track.

•••
Thanks Guys & Girls - some great advice and pointers here.

I'm just starting to think I have to justify all the domains I've been re-regsitering for years for 'that great idea'.

I like the idea of something more than the simple parked sites - they just don't seem to deliver unless you have a real premium domain.

I'm going to look at the whypark.com site now and see what I think of it...

Keep up the good work everyone!

Paul

•••
Some good tips here, i would just emphasize research and always think before you buy! What sounds good to one is crap to another.

•••
Thanks for the good tips. Probably take beginners years to learn all these by themselves.

•••
seems i have nothing to write here because you all done!!

•••
Thank you so much! I appreciate it

•••
Thanks For The tips these are Really useful For my kind of newbies

•••
I think 150 are already done, but there are many more coming up.
I appreciate the motive of OP for such a great idea.
A real way to share knowledge :)
thanks to everyone who contributed and helped me out finding great tips.

I'm a domainer now. :)

•••
•••
Search through lists of expired domain names.

•••
•••
That's good advice, especially for newbie like me...thanks....

•••
Avoid multi-word domains where the last letter of the pervious word and the first letter of the next word are the same letters.

i,e tornadoostrichhaloween.com

•••
Interesting tips :) Thanks a lot for sharing it.

•••
•••
•••
With experience.....

** Check the spell of your domain before buying... use any text editor like MS Word to confirm

•••
If you are in Domains selling and buying, also try some Europe languages like French, German and others

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back