Dynadot

150 Domain tips

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

IconPacks

.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hi guys,

Thought it would be interesting to create a thread where everyone contributes a few tips to make a Top 150 domain tips list. Just general snippets of advice/knowledge that might prove useful to other domainers/developers out there. If we get over 150 tips I'll update the thread title. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules
- only 1 sentence per tip.
- must relate to domain names (buying/selling/development etc...)
- tips not facts, so can be opinions.
- no duplicates.

I'll start, with 5 from me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Create brandable domains by replacing the first letter(s) of a common word.

2) Don't start work developing an idea around a domain that you don't yet own thinking you can grab it when you're ready!

3) Don't use hyphens in the domain if you can help it.

4) Does the domain look good in upper and lower case?

5) Say the domain out loud before registering it, is it easily pronounceable over the phone?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sharing some tips

Hey guys..... After reading the financial success thread, I thought it might be a nice idea if people who have been around domains for a bit took a minute or two or three to share one or more tips.

I'll get the ball rolling and hopefully others will chime in :)

Try and not be a jack of all trades when it comes to domains unless you have incredibly deep pockets to begin with. Try focusing instead on a few areas. Ones you can learn about inside and out. This makes it easier to get SOME kind of momentum going, to maximize sales opportunities, to maximize monetization possibilities, to be able to spot good deals on the acquisition side, to be able to purchase domains at a fair price that you can make an immediate profit on because you know how to best monetize or you have the benefit of volume.

•••
A good tip i picked up in another thread a while back:

Try to spread your renewal dates as much as you can, it sucks to let domains go that you don't want to let go simply because the total of renewals in one month is to much to cope with.

•••
*Focus on cashflow*

Instead of buying hundreds of names at reg fee - buy 1 solid generic name with traffic (preferably .com - be sure to avoid TMs). Park the name, save the monthly revenue, and then use the money to buy another name with traffic. If you sell the occasional domain, again, use the money to buy another name with traffic. Keep repeating and you will have solid portfolio and steady income.

"Follow the traffic. Follow the money" -Frank Schilling

•••
It's not always about what the domain is worth. It's what people are willing to pay. If you understand buying trends, you can't lose. B-)

Peter

•••
Spend your whole first month (at least!) reading about the domain name market... Understand why prices are the way they are. Look up current trends and attempt to extrapolate. Definitely do not spend all your money starting out on a few good names. You'll probably end up getting ripped off and the whole domain experience will become sour for you. Rather, do as Nametrader said... Keep thinking of ideas, researching new trends, areas of interest, and checking expired domain lists. Only reg the very best ones you're able to find. Try and sell these names. Are you able to sell them? Do you now have a reasonable grasp on the potential value a name has under usual circumstances? Take that knowledge you've acquired over your first month or two... Now, consider investing in a quality .com. Don't get suckered into spending x,xxx on a different tld or worse -- a cctld. You're new -- you need things simple... And it doesn't get simpler than .com :bingo:

When considering investing in a good .com, ask yourself what's important to you. Do you need the revenue that could be generated from a parked name? Are you interested in finding a name which has a high ppc value and could easily be developed into a profitable site?

Ask yourself why you want/need this particular name. Think long and hard about it. Think of the best ways to monetize this name. Stay away from names with traffic stats... Get a good .com that "sells" itself on it's own merit. Traffic stats can be easily forged and we really don't want to worry about all that this early in the game.

When it comes to making your first large investment, after having decided what you plan on doing with it (parking, developing, reselling, etc), try and figure out a ballpark figure of how much money you'll be able to generate off this name. It doesn't have to be exact -- it won't be exact. But having an idea of around how much you can make, is a good way to start planning for the future. My recommendation -- a LLL.com, a couple premium CVCV.com or a good dictionary word .com. Don't get fooled into paying exhorbitant prices for a name just because it's listed in a dictionary... Do as some of the other people here have recommend and shop around. Look at names listed on Sedo, Afternic, and other domain name exchanges. When looking at these exchanges, take the prices with a grain of salt. It's easy for anyone to ask $10k usd for a shoddy name. It's not what you ask for it... It's what you can get for it. Check resources such as NameBio and DnJournal. These provide a concrete sales history. Unlike Sedo, these are not asking prices -- these are what names have sold for in the past. You can use tools such as Estibot and Premium Domain (Domain Score) to compare a name to another one or attempt to guage the value of a name in question. Don't pay prices based on what these free services report. Rather, look at the value reported and attempt to understand why the automated program reported the value that it did. High prices reported by automated programs are no guarantee that your name is great -- but be extremely weary if the name you're paying xxxx for is reported as being worth reg fee (you get the idea) by Estibot, or non premium by Premium Domain. If it isn't premium or scores low on Estibot's valuation, ask yourself why that is. Is it something new that hasn't hit mainstreasm yet (think of wikis or blogs a few years back)? A low valuation does not necessarily imply that you're being ripped off, rather that you should proceed with caution.

Definitely toss all your profits back into additional names. If you have deep pockets you can now begin looking for a second name (still sticking with .com at this point). If not, get your name monetized (however you choose to do it) asap so you can start saving towards your next name.

Use this downtime (if you're like most people) to further expand your knowledge of domaining. Read up on the latest trends (and always continue doing such...). These change fast, so don't think that what was hot 2 months ago is necessarily the real deal today.

Since you probably will have a few months before your name generates enough money to consider investing in another .com, start learning about the other markets available to you. Since your money supply is limited, you won't be able to buy premium .coms week after week (duh!). You're likely still not ready to experiment with speculative extensions like .tv, .mobi, most cctlds, LLLL.com (not CVCV/VCVC), so don't go there. The biggest way a newbie can be burned is by getting into speculative extensions when they don't have the requisite knowledge and appreciation of domaining to truly grasp the liquidity of this market. Since your money supply is limited, you need names that are either liquid, generate a steady stream of income, or optimally, both. This means you should focus on .coms and premium .nets only, for the time being. As you gain more experience and a thorough understanding of the value of .coms and .nets (and hopefully a fatter bank account!), you can slowly move into markets that aren't as liquid. Start with .info... Good .infos aren't that hard to sell. Once you get the hang of waiting a bit longer for sales -- and having enough money that you can afford to wait on sales, you can start investing in speculative extensions. Rule #1 of investing... Never invest more than you can afford to lose. We can all agree that a LLL.com, premium 1 word generic .com, etc are solid investments, likely to go nowhere but through the stratosphere in years to come. The same cannot necessarily be said about speculative extensions.

Nobody really knows whether .mobi will become the mobile standard, whether .tv will become synonymous with online video, whether LLLL.coms will appreciate as CVCV.coms have, whether CVCV.net will follow in Big Brother's footsteps, etc. These investments have an inherent risk that investing in the former does not have. Do not consider investing in these extensions until you have a thorough knowledge of domaining, an understanding of liquidity, and an understanding of the risks involved with making large investments in speculative extensions. I would never put more than 20% of my investment in a speculative extension -- it's just too much money to potentially lose -- not to mention the fact that speculative extensions can be a plague for anyone who doesn't understand the importance of spreading registrations throughout the year. Zero liquidity (or near zero) means that you end up selling your names at a loss (or under what you presume to be their market value), because you need the money. Don't fall into this trap. Don't invest more than you can afford -- especially if investing in speculative extensions.

That sure was alot to digest! Okay... I promise I'm almost done D-:

Here's a few more tips to consider when entering domaining...

1. Length -- how long is your domain name? One word domains are usually easier to sell and sell for higher amounts than 2 word domains from the same sector.

2. Pronouncability -- Is it easy to pronounce, or is pronouncing the name really stretching it? Prounouncability leads right into...

3. Memorability -- how easy is it to remember this name? A memorable name is generally a non-hyphenated name, composed of 1 or 2 words which go well together. Stay away from numbers -- especially the use of numbers as letters (such as one and 1) to form words. A memorable name probably has...

4. Brandability -- Could a company center a product or website around this name?

5. Grammatical Tense -- Use a tool, such as Wordtracker to ensure you use the right one. What seems like the most used tense to you may be different from how the rest of the world sees it. Also use Wordtracker to identify whether the term is more popular in it's plural or singular form.

6. USPTO.GOV is your friend -- remember that! Don't be a n00b and get into TM or typosquatting. You can make plenty of money in domaining without stooping to that level.

7. TLD/ccTLD -- What extension is it? I use a 1/10/30 rule for .com, .net, .info -- meaning that I first attempt to determine the approximate value of a .com, then, I associate approximately 10% of that value as a maximum value of the .net and then assign one third of the .net value (or 1/30 of the .com value) to the .info. I use these as maximum prices I would pay. So if I feel a particular .com is worth 100k, I wouldn't value the .info at more than around 3k in example. Seeing as I want to make a profit, I wouldn't consider going higher than 2.5k under such a scenario. As for offering... Most domainers are pretty reasonable to other domainers (i.e. dealing with another NPer). If I'm dealing with a individual who I'm not sure if they're a domainer or not, I'll typically start off by offering them 10% of the maximum I'd be willing to pay for their name (in the above case, that would be $250). If they know me and I know them, I'll usually start off around 40-50% of the maximum I'd be willing to pay. No matter what you offer on your first offer, people will generally figure that your first offer usually isn't your best offer (and usually it isn't), so keep this in mind when beginning negotiations -- leave room to negotiate.

8. Target Market -- Who exactly is going to buy your name? If it's a generic .com or LLL.com, okay, you need not worry. But what if it's not? Obviously the larger the target market, the better. A name like health.com is worth more than a name like healthstore.com for several reasons -- but 1 of they key reasons is because health.com has a bigger target market (as well as greatly increased traffic, but that's another matter). How many potential endusers would this name have?

9. Traffic -- The big T! No traffic, no money. Easy as that. If you're name receives no traffic whatsoever, the only way you'll be able to generate income is by selling it. This makes it a less attractive option than buying a name which receives plenty of free traffic even when it hasn't been developed.

10. Plan for the future -- Hedge your investments and hedge them well my friend! You can't predict the future (at least you can't :D ), so prepare for it in advance. Use strategies such as diversification to minimize risk. If you plan on investing some of your money in speculative extensions, put at least twice that amount in solid .coms, so as to minimize the damage done should your investment in speculative extensions not pan out. Don't forget to spread out those renewal dates -- that can be a killer!

11. Keep coming back to Namepros. There's always new stuff to learn! :)

Last edited:
•••
My best tip would be to read read read.... If you dont know the newest and latest news or sales information, you dont know whats hot... you wont know what kind of domains to attack and you'll find your always one step behind everyone else... Try to have the forsight to see whats ahead and beat your fellow domainers to it...

•••
Try to get the highest possible rev share from your PPC providers. Sometimes all you have to do is contact your account manager and ask politely. Other times you can "negotiate" a higher bonus for parking revenues by promising to move revenue domains that are currently parked at a competitor.

It doesn't hurt to ask, and you could find yourself making anwhere from 10% to 40% more revenue each month simply by inquiring about an upgrade.

•••
•••
Take CALCULATED Risks.......

•••
I've found PremiumDrops very useful recently. Costs nothing to join. It slows down a lot but I think that part of this is because it is so popular. Join it and test it out while it's still free!

I very much agree with NameTraders "Find 100 good domains, Only register the best" philosophy. With reguard to unregistered and dropping domains, I'd also say it is useful to develope techniques so that you do that in a concentrated period so that the best are still there when you decide to get them.

Don't get too upset about the opportunities you miss. Learn from them. Nobody wins all the time. In life, you often have to lose before you win.

Buy names you like. It's just more enjoyable that way. Don't buy names you don't like just because lots of other people do.

Work out your strengths and how you can apply them to domains. Work out your weaknesses and how you can get others to help you.

Patience. You get your good months and your bad months. Spend your good months preparing for your bad months.

•••
Damion said:
A good tip i picked up in another thread a while back:

Try to spread your renewal dates as much as you can, it sucks to let domains go that you don't want to let go simply because the total of renewals in one month is to much to cope with.

It would be better ... ORGANIZE.
Start with excel, write down all names you bought, amount you paid for them,
and when renewals are coming.

•••
There are some great tips in this thread!
Thank you Sharon for starting it.

After a year of buying domain names, (and having fun doing
it), I'm facing all the renewal fees on domains I shake my
head at now :D

I must say the advice from MinionDH, and 100% agree
with, take that money and invest in a generic traffic name.
I can't help thinking I'd be farther ahead had I thought of
that myself last year!

VURG said:
Patience. You get your good months and your bad months. Spend your good months preparing for your bad months.
Great advice!

•••
Chappy said:
Take risks.....

Agreed! You'll never get anywhere without taking some sort of risk or making a bold move.

However, you should do as much homework as possible and not go into something blind - so I also agree that you should be taking calculated risks. At least if you fail, you will know that you did everything in your power to calculate your investment.

Be extremely persistent. This is the most important quality I can stress, in any sort of business. Keep looking for deals and continue in trying to innovate the industry. As long as you're persistent enough, your gem will come calling. It's very frustrating at first to see some people on here making these big deals when you first get in the game, but that could easily be an newbie out there with some time, effort, and a little luck !

I also agree with putting all your initial capital in a .com with traffic/revenue and start from there. Keep your day job and throw in your extra savings towards traffic/rev names and watch your earnings grow, month after month.

Get creative with how you monetize your names - try all the parking providers - the difference can be HUGE. Don't be afraid to try out some affiliate programs out there. Parking Empire offers some great deals from the looks of it and I'm getting excited to try out (btw, no affiliation with them at all) Affiliate commissions will likely dwarf your parking earnings, even with a fraction of the clicks/traffic.

Let's keep this thread going

•••
Reasearch-Research and more Research And have alot of patience,Keep you goals within your reach, work very hard on the specific niche areas you are going to proceed in, I agree with sharon aswell, Don't be the jack of all trades, Focus on achieving one goal at a time, Don't stop just because you have success with that niche, Success means you need to stay with that one niche, and fully capitalize it's potential.

•••
I always try and figure out how easy the name would be to develop (and what it can be developed as)

After all you always want the end user sale more then the fellow domainer.

Have a look at the top 10 companies related to the name.

And then check all other TLD'S to see if they have been developed.

•••
33 - ask questions from those who know more than you and respect their answers

•••
34) Don't buy names that you don't intend to renew.
35) Work out your budget and stick to it.
36) Keep a reserve for bargains that may appear.
37) Don't spend big on types of names that you have little experience with.

•••
... Don't transfer/push sold Domains prior to receiving payment from the buyer.

... If you find an available name check to see if the plural or singular version are also available.

... If you find an available name check to see if there are other similar names available, for example, I regged GreedyCash.com but prior to regging it I looked up GreedyMoney.com and GreedyBucks.com, both were taken.

... If possible search for end users, selling to domain resellers usually isnt the best way to get the max for your Domain.

... If your interested in a domain which looks like its going to be dropped, contact the current owner and make an offer, once the name does drop you might end up paying alot more for it in the end.

... Find yourself an online domainer friend which you trust and discuss the domains your interested in prior to regging them, always nice to get a second opinion.

Last edited:
•••
Forums

55?) Become a member of Namepros.com ! :$:

Frank

Last edited:
•••
Great, great thread! Rep added to OP

92) Don't hold on to your whole portfolio in hopes of getting high $$$$$$ for each name, renewing hundreds of names per year at high expense. Instead, hold on to some gems, sell the rest for lower prices, move the goods

93) When you sell 10 names for $50 each, instead of using that $500 for regging 50 inferior names, consider buying a single high quality dotcom for $500

94) Make sure you take into account the expenses of regging, renewing, broker fees, software purchases, transfer costs, whois privacy costs etc when planning your budget. If you don't, you might end up losing money in the long run even if you do make some sales

•••
These are more related to the domain business - since most of the best pure domaining tips were gone... GREAT Thread btw.

95) take domian parking seriously. It's set it and forget it but most people fail to set it.

96) Repark your bottom 20% - some names just do better elsewhere but give them time.

97) List your names everywhere.

98) get a good portfolio site.

99) promote your portfolio site with viral marketing and free sites

100) consider free private label storefronts for some of your names.

101) brand your name give it a tshirt or something

Last edited:
•••
104) Invest in .info! They will become big in the near future!

•••
•••
106) Check for the readability of a domain (e.g coollinks isn't as easy to read as coolsites) Also check if the first word could be perceived as overrunning into the second - e.g. gamershell (gamers hell? gamer shell?).

107) Try and avoid domains with negative connotations. (e.g. SlowPay, DownHost etc...)

108) If you can't get the noun (e.g fish), look for the plural (fishes), or other word combinations; fished, fishing, fisher, fishy etc...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back