Dynadot

150 Domain tips

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

IconPacks

.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hi guys,

Thought it would be interesting to create a thread where everyone contributes a few tips to make a Top 150 domain tips list. Just general snippets of advice/knowledge that might prove useful to other domainers/developers out there. If we get over 150 tips I'll update the thread title. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules
- only 1 sentence per tip.
- must relate to domain names (buying/selling/development etc...)
- tips not facts, so can be opinions.
- no duplicates.

I'll start, with 5 from me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Create brandable domains by replacing the first letter(s) of a common word.

2) Don't start work developing an idea around a domain that you don't yet own thinking you can grab it when you're ready!

3) Don't use hyphens in the domain if you can help it.

4) Does the domain look good in upper and lower case?

5) Say the domain out loud before registering it, is it easily pronounceable over the phone?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
seven said:
2. Buy from either Namecheap, Godaddy, or Moniker. Godaddy can have spectacular promos. Namecheap gives free whois guard. Moniker is dirt cheap on .nets and offers more extensions. (By the way, privacy protection is free at Godaddy right now with a purchase of 5+ domains).
Just remember to set auto-renew off. The free whois privacy is only good for 1 year - after that you'll be renewing at regular rate, so you'll be paying almost double price for a domain if you want to keep the privacy.

So you may want to transfer out a few weeks before renewal time if you need the privacy option...

•••
147> Do not purchase domain names just after reading some buyers preferences. If your name is not sold at the value you wanted or if it is not sold at all, you will be loosing your money. It applies only to those names which are customer/buyer specific. If they can be used anywhere else, you will not be loosing anything. So, just "think coherently" before you make a "wanted name's" purchase. :)

•••
I have been reading through all the points, excellent thread.
I think I missed a point that sound quite obvious but apparentely is not in the thread (please correct me if I am wrong).

148)
when buying or selling a domain , compare sales for similar names (namebio, DNJ etc) so that you can have a range you can ask/offer for the name without being unreasonable, out of market or even worst underselling a domain for 20$ then see it sold a month later for 2K.
A name is worth what somebody (the market) is willing to pay for it not what you think is worth.

Last edited:
•••
149) Don’t park your domain if you can afford to create a (5-10 page) mini-site with some PPC ads. Once you have created it, give it a few links. This will let it get indexed in major search engines. A big SEO factor is site age these days. ;)

Last edited:
•••
I dont have a tip, however could I have everyones permission to collate this and post it on lonelydesigns.com? I can give all of your credit for each tip, it would make a wonderful post and is extremely useful.

Thanks,
LD

•••
Tip 150

150) Register at a few domain parking services and try different types of domains at each one. Different services pay out different amounts depending on catergory, so play around to maximise your revenue.

//I got tip 150!

•••
Here is my one tip.....Go to MoreWords.com and check all words that you want then cut and paste them into a domain search tool........you can check hundreds at a time...

Kuka

•••
Always do not fluster. Only buy a domain name after your considerations --- the domain is really valuable and has definite development potential/resale profits.

•••
Missed the 150! My tip is if it's for real use, register it for a few years. Google knows that people who are serious about a website will register it for a long time, people after a quick buck will register it for 1 year, and it'll improve your SEO

•••
all the tips are really very usefull thanks a lot

•••
#104": If you're a beginner, invest in a domain consultant to get you up to speed before you waste your money on bad domain purchases

#105: Although posted in an earlier tip, I'm backing it up again: Make sure that your domain phrase has some adlinks BOLDED in the domain name phrase search results done in QUOTES. The only exception is for future trend domain names that haven't yet matured... be careful in these areas, they are gambles...so know what you're buying by reading up a lot on the new technology. Get smart on your niches!

#106: Check Snapnames regularly for domains that fit your favorite niches. Domains are selling quickly for cheap in their excellent private auctions.

#107: If you're a beginner, pick no more than 5 niche categories. Once you have them established, search the crap out of the internet for all topics on products/services of each of your niches. OWN YOUR NICHES.

#108: Unless you're going to spend $20,000 per domain in the aftermarket on domains with proven revenue generation and traffic stats, then you're going to have to buy at least 1000 domains "out of the basket" (new registrations) to keep competitive. Then consider you have to have at least $8,000 a year to renew those domains. However, if you get ONE good one that sells for $10,000, you paid for all their renewals and pocketed $2,000. What a crappy business!! LOL

•••
It looks like the numbering system has broken down, but here are a few more:

151. or whatever) When buying domains in other languages (whether IDN or Ascii), study the culture, language, and spelling of the target language. Some people even make this mistake in their own language!

152.) When buying technology domains, look ahead but not too far ahead. The physicist in me always cracks up when I see people buying domains in a technology that will not come about in the lifetime of the buyer.

153.) Be wary of the "hype machine". This is one of the best ways to lose money.

•••
154. Don't listen to everything people tell you about the internet. Try new things. Some will work, some wont. But don't be affraid to try!

•••
good work

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Hi all,

Newbie here, after I read some tips I understand that already found a right domain community with good people cares each others.. I will keep read and read..

Hi Reece.. nice to meet you.. this is ma first day on school :) .. forgive me.. dunno this is the best way to say hello to all people here..

plz guide this newbie :)

•••
"7) Don't register domains while under the influance of drugs or alcohol. (just say no)"

Being drunk and a noob, I read this and immediately went to register drunkdomains.com, only to find that Godaddy charges $548 for it as a "Premium" domain name.

Must be a lot of drunk domainers out there...

and since this is a tip list:

Try dumping a so-so domain on Ebay by adding a pile of digital bonuses that you have master resale rights to. Seems to help.

•••
Wow this thread has so many amazing tips in it that really help noobs like me understand just a little bit more about the business. Thanks so much for doing this thread! :)

•••
Why should I buy a premium domain name?
Premium Domain Names (or “secondary market domains”) are domains that have already been registered, but are available for sale from the current registrant. Although Premium Domains are generally more expensive than unregistered (or “primary market”) domains, they tend to be much higher quality. The advantages of investing in a Premium Domain include:

1. Easier to remember: Shorter, catchier domain names will keep visitors coming back to your site.

2. Better Brand Image: Certain domains—such as single-word domains, short two and three-letter domains, generic keyword domains, and .com domains—automatically convey an image of prestige and added credibility. Users are much more likely to place an order with a site named, for example, Shoes.com, than one named cheapshoes4u.net. Successful Internet companies know this, and many purchase multiple Premium Domains to complement their brand names. For example, take a look at who’s using quality generic domains such as PC.com, Books.com, Computers.com or Loans.com .

3. Improved Search Engine Ranking: Domain names that contain search engine keywords are more likely to gain top search engine rankings for those keywords. Try it yourself: Search a keyword on Google and see how many of the top results contain that keyword as part of the domain name.

4. Traffic Generating: Despite the growth of search engines, a surprising number of people still “search” by typing in what they’re looking for and putting a .com on the end. Thus, many generic domain names receive hundreds or even thousands of visitors per day, perfectly targeted according to keyword. What is the value of this much targeted traffic to your business?

5. Investment Potential: A Premium Domain name is an asset that your business invests in and can later resell for a profit. Domain valuations are currently at their lowest point in years, so purchasing now can be a smart investment decision for your business.

How do I choose a good domain name?
When choosing a new domain name for your site, you may want to consider the following:

1. Country-specific or international: If your business is only active in a single country, it may be adequate to use a country-specific extension such as .us, .co.uk, or .ca. If you’d like to appeal to a global audience, it is best to choose a generic extension such as .com, .biz, or .info.

2. Importance of Keywords: If search engines are a major source of traffic to your site, make sure that your domain includes one or more of your principal keywords—this can help you get a good ranking on these terms.

3. Commercial or informational: If you intend to sell products on your site, it is important to convey a professional image. Usually, this means a short, brandable .com domain name without hyphens or numbers. If your site is informational only, consider a .info or .org extension.

4. Target User Group: Different domain names will appeal to different groups. For example, a B2B site will generally do best with a descriptive domain name so that a visitor immediately knows what the site is about (EX: Naming.com, Corporation.com). A mass-audience B2C site will generally do better with a catchy, brandable domain name (EX: Yahoo.com, Amazon.com, Google.com).

5. Risk for Traffic Diversion: Choosing the wrong domain name can result in thousands of lost visitors due to mistypings. To reduce this risk, avoid hyphens, numbers, misspellings, and exotic extensions. People should be able to figure out the domain’s spelling from the way it is pronounced: eg, “yahoo” or “Sedo” is easy to spell, but Tu-lites.cc or skool4u.net will tend to leak a lot of traffic. If in doubt, register or buy all possible spellings of the name.

6. Length: Shorter domain names are better if the domain name is going to be typed-in often (brandable domains, mass-market domains, major websites). A shorter domain means reduced risk of typo errors, easier memorability, faster type-ins, and more flexibility in promoting the domain. For these reasons, most businesses who can afford it buy a domain of five characters or less. Two and three character domains are the choice of major corporations (GE.com, AA.com, ML.com, AOL.com, MSN.com, etc…), and come with a price tag to match. At the other extreme, an informational site that receives most of its traffic from search engines will do fine with a domain of two or even three words.

•••
•••
A lot of excellent advice here :), awsome.

Damion said:
A good tip i picked up in another thread a while back:

Try to spread your renewal dates as much as you can, it sucks to let domains go that you don't want to let go simply because the total of renewals in one month is to much to cope with.

Is there a good program that can do this?

•••
IconPacks said:
125) Play this Domain Name Appraisal Game - you have to guess the sale price on 10 domains in a row, you get graded at the end and get to see the actual price the domain sold for. Playing this simple game for an hour can improve your knowledge of what domains are worth and what they can sell for.

That game sounds really interesting. However, it the link doesn't seem to work anymore. Is it possible to get it fixed?

Anyway my tip:

If .com doesn't work try .net. If that one doesn't work try .org instead and maybe (just maybe) .info. In addition, you can try country codes like ca, se. no.
However, not .me :D

Last edited:
•••
hello friends

hello friends
friends i want to sale my some domains can u help can u pvt message me where i go to sale my domains bcoz i want money on the sport plz pvt message me
thanks

•••
Thanks, this is interesting.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back