IT.COM

150 Domain tips

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

IconPacks

.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hi guys,

Thought it would be interesting to create a thread where everyone contributes a few tips to make a Top 150 domain tips list. Just general snippets of advice/knowledge that might prove useful to other domainers/developers out there. If we get over 150 tips I'll update the thread title. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules
- only 1 sentence per tip.
- must relate to domain names (buying/selling/development etc...)
- tips not facts, so can be opinions.
- no duplicates.

I'll start, with 5 from me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Create brandable domains by replacing the first letter(s) of a common word.

2) Don't start work developing an idea around a domain that you don't yet own thinking you can grab it when you're ready!

3) Don't use hyphens in the domain if you can help it.

4) Does the domain look good in upper and lower case?

5) Say the domain out loud before registering it, is it easily pronounceable over the phone?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I always preferred the godaddy.com and whois.com for buying the domain. I always try to buy the crawler friendly URL. If somebody has some good website address, please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.

•••
For starters and newbies, the above mentioned AdWords Keyword Tool is

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Thank you all for the tips!

•••
for newbies,

Download google desktop then add on domain typer

and search according to the "relevent keywords"

•••
great tips, thanks for sharing

•••
Get the matching Twitter name!

•••
Hi, its a good idea to make a thread with 150 tips for domain. I think this tread is going to be a helpful thread for the developers and those peoples who are yet thinking to register a domain. From my point of view a domain name should be in shorter so that people can easily remember. And it should be related with the name of the product. And your website should contain very detailed contains of the product.

Thank you.

•••
Another Tip: Newbies often overlook yearly renewal fees and think that cost of a domain name is just reg fee. Once an year is complete, most of them have 50 to 100 domain names. Everyone realises the real cost of domain names as they start paying renewal fees. Therefore organize yourself with domain names you own. Temptation to buy any good sounding domain name is very high when you are a newbie. Think twice before you buy any domain name.

•••
Keep an inventory (a spreadsheet would be a great idea) of all your domains with at least the following information for each name: registration and expiration dates, registrar, amount spent for registration or renewals.

Also keep track of the TOTAL amount of money you've spent and the TOTAL you've earned in domaining: this way you'll have the balance of all your activities.

•••
7) Don't register domains while under the influance of drugs or alcohol. (just say no)

That is best one yet.

I would like to add one.

#? Try to get matching domains on both .com and .net.

•••
Use the advanced search features, i.e. brainstorming and dictionary domains search at NameStation to find unique niche domains.

•••
Can you explain to me what a tld is Im new to the domain world and Im trying to learn as much as i can before getting one.

•••
•••
(250 -- we must be up to that by now) If you are a newbie as I am, bookmark this thread, come back and read it every now and then, and decide which of the tips you will use.

•••
Never use hyphens in the domain
You case choose good place in upper or lower case.
Stay your domain out loud before registering it.

•••
Great post! Thanks for all the advice!

I want to repeat what multiple people above me have stated..

If your a newbie, don't just start registering domains... Study, study, study, and then study some more, before buying any names. What you perceive as a good name will change dramatically in your first couple months of domaining. Thanks for all the advice!

•••
Never use hyphens in the domain

I'm really not too sure on this. I have found a number of domain names ranking highly for pretty competitive keywords, and they use hyphens in their domain names.

•••
2 Cents

Venture into countries where internet is picking up as lot of premium domians will be available.....long term business.

Find a source to register domains cheap worldwide.

I got one source excellent rates and they cover over 150 countries.:lala:

•••
your domain tips are very helpful.......thanks for sharing these

•••
Another very helpful site, as far as free tools, and educational info is domaintools.com/whois.sc. I definitely recommend them.

•••
99 Tips for Successful Domaining: A Worthy Repost

Great summary post by DomainShane.com
Code:
http://domainshane.com/99-tips-for-successful-domaining/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back