NameSilo

1&1 threatening to sue me

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,

I got notification from a debt collection agency a week or so ago that 1&1 is attempting to collect on a domain that should of expired and I purposly set all m ydomains to auto delete because I typically sell them or never get started with the project within the year.

They want like 75$ in collection fees and 25$ (for apparently 2 years past domain registration).

Problems I adressed to there rep which they don't seem to care about;
  • I was a minor at the time

I don't have any assets so it would be a big waste of time but any suggestions on what else I should do. The phone number they had on record was my old cell so they can't bother me to much (just send letters to my parents house while I'm away at college)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Complain to the relevant outside authorities. Take screenshots of ALL relevant data in your account, save all emails.

Make sure you are dealing with their complaints department, not one of the other runaround departments. It helps if every time you email them and you get a survey giving you the chance to rate how much they helped, give the lowest possible rating and use words like "fraud" and "criminal" in the survey.

And keep away from that company in future, nothing but trouble, a LOT of people have had your experience with them.

Talking to the debt collectors would probably be a waste of time, you need to hit 1 and 1 hard to make them back off - they do this to many, many people. Keep telling them they have a bad reputation and are losing customers, and that you are going to tell everyone what they did to you.

•••
Just be careful defaults can come back and haunt you in years to come. So I suggest you don’t just forget about it but take the time to get it wiped or paid.

•••
A lot of people have had probs with 1and1 - they deliberately make it almost impossible to stop a domain renewing, you have to go through a many step procedure that is hard to discover, let alone carry out.

Any time you go through that procedure, I STRONGLY advise you to request email confirmation from them that the domain will not renew and you will not be charged. If you don't get that confirmation then they will renew it and threaten you, that is their system and no matter what you say they will just keep saying no you have to pay. So if they confirmed that the domain was not to renew it makes their plan a bit harder to carry out and shows them for what they are.

Just a few angry ex-customers here...

http://oneandonesucks.blogspot.com/2007/05/1-and-1-sucks.html

http://elliottback.com/wp/1and1-sucks/

http://1and1sucksass.blogspot.com/

•••
A lot of people have had probs with 1and1 - they deliberately make it almost impossible to stop a domain renewing, you have to go through a many step procedure that is hard to discover, let alone carry out.

Who is the owner or head of 1and1? Is it someone who gets glowing accolades from some of the domainer media?

•••
Who is the owner or head of 1and1? Is it someone who gets glowing accolades from some of the domainer media?

Apparently they own 41% of Sedo, which certainly explains a few things IMO............

Basically they have won the SCUMBAG domain company of the year award on numerous occasions.;)

They wouldn't have the balls to show their faces round these parts.

Last edited:
•••
Pay the hundred and never use this company again. IMO

•••
BTW even if you no longer have domains there they will bill you for them because they say you have not completed the weird and difficult procedure to cancel the "contracts" for them, and they claim that must occur before the renewal date. Very dubious but that is what happens.

So make sure that they confirm to you that you have cancelled EVERYTHING.

•••
Tell the collection agency that you have no intention of paying the debts and to stop calling you, problem solved :)

•••
I think this is really disapponting that it appears that this company is operating in quite a shifty way.

I certainly would enjoy a day in court with them.

It seems a few of these companies think that deceiving you into buying products and renewals is legitimate business practice and It seems that some of their practices are very questionable.

Theres no exuse for bad customer service.

Dont hide from the debt you have but try to talk to them more.

•••
I didn't see any threat to sue in your post, just a debt collection agency. Had plenty of those in my younger years, damn Columbia House and BMG :)

Just pay it off, your credit history is very important. After you pay it off, check to make sure it's been removed from your record. You can check for free (everybody should do this) at - https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

You can do that once a year for free.

If not, it's going to stay on your record for like 7 years. It can affect an apartment you're trying to get into, employment, loans, credit etc. It's just not worth the hassle.

Just avoiding them as some suggested and saying problem solved, is not correct. Like I said, this will affect you later down the line. You might be completely in the right and want to fight this, that's up to you but I would figure in the costs. I would just pay it and get it over with, move on with life, keep your credit in check.

•••
The problem with 1and1 starts when you want to say goodbye to them . . . ! It's one of those companies I'll never have anything to do with again! Never give 1and1 your credit or debit card details!

Last edited:
•••
The collection letter I got from them said I had 30 days to dispute the validity of the debt. I did that and didn't hear from them again.

•••
1&1 is nortoriously famous for this. There is no shortage of horror stories on the net regarding their billing and renewal practices.

Even if you have gotten the auth code and have transferrred a domain away from them - you WILL still get billed by them a year later, unless you go through all the steps they require in order to cancel the billing.

And there is no way to turn-off autorenew with either their domains are hosting packages.

From what I recall reading, they go after all EU-based customers who don't pay up.

In all likelyhood, the collections agency won't make much effort to collect on such a small amount, but what they MAY do is file a note with the relevant credit bureaus to hurt your credit rating.

•••
The thing is they have a prepaid debit gift card. I never put out my cc online (until like last month). So they have nothing to tie it to my phone number changed. I got a letter in the mail at my grandma (who I use to live with and is now in the hospitals) house. But I was a minor so they cna't claim they had a contract to auto renew or to collect. Should I ignoor it or encourrage them them to as I was a minor and theres no legal basis.

•••
If it goes on your credit you can sue them big time. They have to take certain steps to put it on your credit and those steps cannot be completed properly in this case.

•••
If it goes on your credit you can sue them big time. They have to take certain steps to put it on your credit and those steps cannot be completed properly in this case.

Just an FYI from my personal experience once it goes to the debt collection agency you are done for. I paid mine the first time they called to collect and they still reported it to the credit bureau only with a PAID notation next to it.

•••
No, if it goes to credit you contact a lawyer. It is fraud for them to do this and they cannot report an item to your credit in this manner and it would bring you serious compensation.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back