Domain Empire

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Did anyone monitor BostonRoofing dot Com by chance? I thought I had it on watch but I missed the final sales price. It either ended the 12th or 13th.

•••
Did anyone monitor BostonRoofing dot Com by chance? I thought I had it on watch but I missed the final sales price. It either ended the 12th or 13th.

It was is the $1600 range.

•••

Some recent GoDaddy acquisitions (all past the dangerous 45 days):

AfterForty.com

DrShock.com (will be a character in a book I'm writing: Dana Ray Shock. A shock jock type).

eSorority.com​

In a few days, I will be posting something in the Break Room about my book and how domain names will play a major role in it.

The domain for my book title is in my account, but still within the 45-day danger period, so I don't want to say too much just yet.

•••
Someone please tell me what it was in tepin.com that it ended up getting picked for $8,060!!!

I just want to know out of curiosity.

•••
Someone please tell me what it was in tepin.com that it ended up getting picked for $8,060!!!

I just want to know out of curiosity.

It's some kind of red hot chile pepper:

It's the "in" condiment right now.

It remains to be seen if the domain is worth that much or if it even makes it through redemption week.

Surprisingly, the search numbers aren't that great (489 exact, low competition), but, in lemming-like manner (I admit it!), I did register tepin.co.uk, gambling that the tepin pepper will take off in the United Kingdom.

Then, in typical domainer fashion, I checked "Tepin Pepper" and discovered that the search numbers weren't that much lower than "tepin" (320 exact, medium competition), so I registered the .com version of that as well.

I kind of like the sound of "Tepin Pepper"; could be the name of hot-tempered (and just plain hot) female character in a book.

But, for now, I'm just parking the domain.

A gamble for sure, but I used the Godaddy Canada1 coupon.

•••
Thanks for your comment, Ms Domainer.

But I still find myself baffled over it!

It's some kind of red hot chile pepper:

It's the "in" condiment right now.

It remains to be seen if the domain is worth that much or if it even makes it through redemption week.

Surprisingly, the search numbers aren't that great (489 exact, low competition), but, in lemming-like manner (I admit it!), I did register tepin.co.uk, gambling that the tepin pepper will take off in the United Kingdom.

Then, in typical domainer fashion, I checked "Tepin Pepper" and discovered that the search numbers weren't that much lower than "tepin" (320 exact, medium competition), so I registered the .com version of that as well.

I kind of like the sound of "Tepin Pepper"; could be the name of hot-tempered (and just plain hot) female character in a book.

But, for now, I'm just parking the domain.

A gamble for sure, but I used the Godaddy Canada1 coupon.

•••
Thanks for your comment, Ms Domainer.

But I still find myself baffled over it!

I don't always understand it, but foodies are passionate people, at least in the U.S.

When I lived in Macedonia, people tended to be less concerned as food as a centerpiece of life and more concerned with social life (food is secondary, although hot peppers are important there as well, LOL).

But the numbers are there, at least for a hand registration, but, like you, I don't get the the high $X,XXX price.

:sold: :-/

•••
I posted esorority.com on a closeout list, glad you got it Jennifer.

Love the D R Shock book idea.

•••

The final drop day is day 45; Godaddy releases the domain at day 42 to the winner.

Therefore, if the former registrant whines loud enough, Godaddy could take the domain away from the winner and give it back to the former registrant--with a refund to the winner, of course.

That's why I suggest waiting until 45 days after original expiration before assuming that you have "won" the domain.

Quite frankly, equity78, your interviewee really didn't reveal all that much; he did not address that 3-day window between the domain landing in the winner's account and the former registrant's "rights."

He sounds like a politician.

If you look back in this thread (and others) winners HAVE had winning domains awarded back to their previous registrants between day 42 and 45.

Equity78,

I have posted, on your blog the following comment to Paul:

So, Paul, exactly, what is the absolute final day that the original registrant can renew the name?

Is it day 45?

Since you release the domain to the winner on day 42, isn't possible that the original registrant could still renew the domain, even though the winner may be using it?

Some Namepro members have complained that auction domains have been taken away AFTER being awarded to them.

Thanks for any clarity on this.​

Godaddy needs to clear this up ASAP.

I just know about this 45 days.
so after the domain come in to our GD account. how many days it become safe (old owner cannot renew it)?
is that 7 days ? or 3 days ? (45-42)

Thanks

•••
•••
Day 46 you are good.

I didn't call on day 45 but I did look at my domain and it had changed to "registry redemption".

Odd that the status in the control panel doesn't match reality based on your excellent blog on the subject. I should have another one soon to try call - I've lost track, lol.

•••
John there was no bid on Go Daddy Auctions right ? If there is no bids they give to 42, 45 is only if there is action because how Paul Nicks explained it, "On the 42nd day we will cancel the domain name if no other customer has expressed an interest in it via either the auction system or a Go Daddy backorder. If, however, a customer has expressed an interest via either of these platforms we will move the domain to their account on day 43. Since the domain is still in the Go Daddy ecosystem we do allow, in rare circumstances, the original registrant to get the domain back via our redemption system up until day 45 which signifies the end of the grace period."

•••
Day 46 you are good.

Thanks.
So it is 4 days after it goes into our GD account right ?
because at day 42 it goes into our GD account

•••
John there was no bid on Go Daddy Auctions right ? If there is no bids they give to 42

If it was one I thought would have action I would have kept it :) These are names that really were specifically targetting something I was interested in but am dropping because I found a better name for it.

I'll have to see if any of them do get bids in future. I'm sure some of the TV names I will drop soon will get picked up.

Thanks for keeping me honest.

•••
A Scenario...

Thanks.
So it is 4 days after it goes into our GD account right ?
because at day 42 it goes into our GD account

Here is a possible scenario for GoDaddy auctions:

--On day 25 after expiration, Example.com goes to auction as an expired domain. (Let's say August 6.)

--On day 35 (August 16), the auction closes and the winner is billed for the auction amount, PLUS renewal fee. After the domain is paid for, it goes in the winner's "Won" column, with a note, "Expired domain ready on: 8/23/2012" [Day 42]

--During Days 35-41, while example.com sits in your "Won" column, the domain can be renewed (at a premium) or transferred out (for reg fee to the winning registrar) by the current registrant.

--Sometimes the domain is awarded the night before [Day 41], but typically on day 42. For now, the domain is yours, and you have complete control of it (nameservers, forwarding, etc.)

--Between Day 41-45, the domain can still be clawed back from you and given back to the original registrant. This is pretty rare, though. I think it's an asinine policy, but it is what it is.

Caveat: to be on the safe side, don't brag about owning Example.com until Day 46. By then, I think you'd be safe.

I have NOT heard of anyone losing a domain after Day 45, but I never assume anything these days.​

Hope this helps.

•••
Thanks.
I just got my domain today
and the who is also already change to my data.
so I will keep silent until 4-5 days

•••
Thanks.
I just got my domain today
and the who is also already change to my data.
so I will keep silent until 4-5 days

Good idea!

•••
in chinese, tepin means "garrulous"

I don't always understand it, but foodies are passionate people, at least in the U.S.

When I lived in Macedonia, people tended to be less concerned as food as a centerpiece of life and more concerned with social life (food is secondary, although hot peppers are important there as well, LOL).

But the numbers are there, at least for a hand registration, but, like you, I don't get the the high $X,XXX price.

:sold: :-/

•••
SwipeMoney (.com) just landed in my Gdd account right now. I have a few others that should be landing in a couple days that I will post.

•••

PeepCentral.com

Peep Central is the title of the novel I'm writing.

I'll talk more about it in the break room.

Not a high value domain, but it is perfect as a title for a young adult novel. I did worry about this one getting renewed, but now it's past 45 days expiration for former owner.

Other acquisitions:

CutAndDried.com

Bookful.com

ProMineral.com​

The first one, I believe, has brandable possibilities in several businesses (flower shop, maybe? Hair salon?).

The last two are areas that interest me personally.

Last edited:
•••
when we bid the auction of expired domain.it look like GD sending email to previous owner to renew it.
I bid on some domain and not long time after that it is renewed.
what do you think ?
Thanks

•••
It doesn't always happen so, utomo.

Out of my 100 wins, it was only once that I couldn't get the domain since it got renewed by the owner.

G B

when we bid the auction of expired domain.it look like GD sending email to previous owner to renew it.
I bid on some domain and not long time after that it is renewed.
what do you think ?
Thanks

•••
I got two or three times already.
not so long time after I bid (1-3 days) they suddenly renew it.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

I want to ask your opinion about the Godaddy auction and also premium listing.
Can anybody share plus and minus point ?

Premium listing
+ Show when somebody search for the keyword.
- High 30% commision
- It did not show the traffic

Auctions
+ Comission not as high as premiumlisting
+ can show the traffic
- not shown when somebody searching for domain name. must search on the auction

Thanks

•••
I got two or three times already.
not so long time after I bid (1-3 days) they suddenly renew it.

There is a direct correlation between the quality of the domain, ending price, and if it gets renewed.

On the better names if the registrant can be contacted, they will be by multiple people.

The best names frequently get renewed.

[/COLOR]I want to ask your opinion about the Godaddy auction and also premium listing.
Can anybody share plus and minus point ?

Premium listing
+ Show when somebody search for the keyword.
- High 30% commision
- It did not show the traffic

Auctions
+ Comission not as high as premiumlisting
+ can show the traffic
- not shown when somebody searching for domain name. must search on the auction

Thanks

Premium listings are more likely to yield sales.

Positive -

1.) They show with a BIN price when someone searches for the keyword.
2.) GoDaddy's huge traffic volume.
3.) Instant Transfer.

Negative -

1.) 30% commission. This is a huge negative for larger sales. I think GD should scale it back to 20% or introduce a tiered pricing model.

2.) Payment period. It takes up to 45 days from the end of the month it sells in.

If you sold a domain on August 1st, you would not receive payment until the beginning of October.

I think this is a little ridiculous as much smaller companies like SEDO, Afternic, Escrow.com, etc. can all clear payment in a couple days. With GoDaddy it can take a couple months.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back