Domain Empire

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So it is actually against their ToS, as I understand it?

Go Daddy also needs to prove that you found the domain there, what if it was a domain you were interested in, typed into browser, saw it expiring or went directly to whois.

The other method is have someone do the emailing who is not a member of Go Daddy Auctions and they complete the transaction.

I think you are always going to see some people use the method of buying names.

•••
It still sounds like it's against their ToS if you have to make up these kinds of excuses or go to these extremes to hide what you blatently are doing.

•••
It still sounds like it's against their ToS if you have to make up these kinds of excuses or go to these extremes to hide what you blatently are doing.

I have never done it and not making up excuses. There are many that hold Go Daddy in no great esteem, they don't believe they have the right to profit off the names themselves, so I guess everyone will do as they see right.

I really don't care to get into things that are basically a circle jerk, as it is something Go Daddy cannot stop, and another fyi not everyone uses Go Daddy Auctions, so if they watch the auctions but are never a member what is Go Daddy's plan there ? If someone is not a member they use your publicly displayed info and use it how they like.

Each person will make up their own mind and do what they want.

•••
Another time waster:

Aspito.com, a BIN price, was transferred out to PublicDomainRegistry and "Your auction has auction ended" notice received.

•••
A cautionary tale about acquiring expired domains from Go Daddy:

Once it migrates to your account, check all the records, especially the A Records.

Today, I found this command in the A host record:

* to [an IP number]

I figure that could not be good, so I deleted it. Also check for unwanted sub domains, such as spam.example.com (these are also A host records). These old redirects are not good for your domain's reputation or your bottom line because you could be giving traffic to dodgy operators.

•••

Once it migrates to your account, check all the records, especially the A Records.

* to [an IP number]

I figure that could not be good, so I deleted it. Also check for unwanted sub domains, such as spam.example.com (these are also A host records). These old redirects are not good for your domain's reputation or your bottom line because you could be giving traffic to dodgy operators.

Is it safe to delete all DNS records of a domain name?

•••
Is it safe to delete all DNS records of a domain name?

All the other DNS records are there and the domain is redirecting the way it's supposed to.

The former owner had added the * record to an ip address that wasn't Go Daddy's.

•••
Can anybody tell me -- if you change the email address in a GoDaddy domain contact record for the Administrative contact (but not the Registrant) will that trigger the 60-day lock?

•••
Can anybody tell me -- if you change the email address in a GoDaddy domain contact record for the Administrative contact (but not the Registrant) will that trigger the 60-day lock?

When you edit a field that will trigger the transfer lock, checkboxes will appear before you save the changes. Those checkboxes are what allow GoDaddy to hold your domains ransom. As long as you don't see the checkboxes, then your changes won't trigger it.

From a quick test, those checkboxes only appear when I edit the "ORGANIZATION" under the Registrant contact field.

•••

Changing the email is fine. It's only if you change the Organization or the Registrant Name, triggers the 60 day lock.

•••
VoteBlog.com (a BIN domain) renewed by registrant at the last minute and transferred out to PublicDomainRegistry.

Another numpty time waster.

•••

* to [an IP number]

Got another one of these today on TheDomainPage.com. This time, I looked at the IP address page:

A host record: * to 64.239.114.99

I got this message ".2202."

Evidently, this is a dumping ground for Peer 1 Dedicated Hosting (P1DH-1).

It doesn't look like anything nefarious, but I'm still going to delete it in my DNS record; I don't need unwanted junk.

•••
had a nice result last month. a NNNN.net domain I had listed a long time ago got a $2750 bid and I sold it.

I had to wait to see if I would be charged a 10% or 20% selling fee. ............ it was 10% ! yay!

I guess they applied the fee that I agreed to when I listed it.

--------------------------------

wish they would let us see the prices of sold domains that we were watching (like they used to).

that was really useful information.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back