IT.COM

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In an ideal world, the registrars would profit-share proceeds with the owner of the expired domain, an idea posed by Rob Hall (2007 ICANN Lisbon meeting)
I seem to remember that Netsol would grant the former domain holder 8% of the proceeds, on certain conditions. Not sure about that, and it was years ago.

At the very least registrars should be open and transparent about their practices.
I have a problem when registrars like Godaddy or Enom are not being upfront and attempt to confuse people with verbiage like 'Icann policy' or 'extended redemption period'. I mean, they are even confused about vocabulary themselves :gl:
Speaking of Enom, why do they keep such a distance from their offshoot Acquirethisname if they don't feel bad about it. And it's not an isolated example :) Afraid of bad rep maybe :)

•••
Fabulous does, and I think if Go Daddy did they would increase their market share to over 75 %.

In an ideal world, the registrars would profit-share proceeds with the owner of the expired domain, an idea posed by Rob Hall (2007 ICANN Lisbon meeting):

I doubt if that will ever happen.

But the article is, nonetheless, fascinating reading.

:laugh:

•••
•••
That's ideal?

Okay, defaultuser, I'm listening.

Let's hear the downside of giving the former registrant a cut of the auction profits.

Actually, IMO, the entire domain auction system stinks (as it stands right now), but I doubt very if the system will change any time soon.

So, assuming that registrars will continue auctioning off expiring domains, my question to everyone:

How can the industry conduct expiring auctions in a manner that protects (to a reasonable extent) the rights of the former registrant and the rights of the buyer?

•••
I think NO auction would be more ideal.

I think straightforward consistency would be better.

I also think random drop times/days more ideal especially combined with registrar query throttling.

I'd also like to banish registrar partnerships and make domains be very simply either registered or not.

Black and white.

•••
How can the industry conduct expiring auctions in a manner that protects (to a reasonable extent) the rights of the former registrant and the rights of the buyer?

Write down the terms clearly.

If your know the terms you know your rights. End of discussion.

•••

Thanks, DU.

I think this is a good debate, whether or not we can agree. I just wish ICANN, etc. would engage in open debates like this.

TRANSPARENCY seems to be the main consideration.

•••
You make a good point Jennifer but imo ICANN is focused on the Golden Goose, new tlds and what that can make for them. I don't think they have any interest toward expiring auctions and the rights of the previous and new owner.

•••
You make a good point Jennifer but imo ICANN is focused on the Golden Goose, new tlds and what that can make for them. I don't think they have any interest toward expiring auctions and the rights of the previous and new owner.

I thought ICANN was non profit focused on world good :)

•••
I also think random drop times/days more ideal especially combined with registrar query throttling.
Throttling is already in place.

Randomizing drop times will probably result in more queries spread throughout the day, and registry servers getting hammered all day long as a result.
In .uk for instance there are many dropcatchers/TAG holders, so Nominet sets 'quotas' to each. 400K+ queries/day is no too bad. But that is at the expense of efficiency since there is no precise time of the day when drops take place (afaik). So you have to 'waste' your quota in a linear manner. It's getting closer to a fair, free for all competition but the unpredictability results in a waste of bandwidth and resources.

I thought ICANN was non profit focused on world good :)
Yes, their own :)

•••
Throttling is already in place.

Randomizing drop times will probably result in more queries spread throughout the day, and registry servers getting hammered all day long as a result.

That's why I added days. I guess the same argument would still apply though. If the domain was to drop between 1 and 60 days after the drop designation it would be interesting to see. I thought this is how .de worked (maybe not).

My ideal throttle would be on the unenforceable concept of "manual consumer based queries".. oh well. I'm sure there's a fairer answer: how about everything has to be a paper form and mailed with a notary public stamp :)

Stricter throttling, random dropping, no partnering is an interesting start for discussion if there was actually any intent to actually ever change anything.

We admire your knowledge and expertise around these parts :loveyou:

•••
My ideal throttle would be on the unenforceable concept of "manual consumer based queries".. oh well. I'm sure there's a fairer answer: how about everything has to be a paper form and mailed with a notary public stamp :)
It reminds me of the automated form submissions to netsol in the very early days... as soon as the domain would drop the scripts would fire up the applications :sold:

For .it domains there is (was ?) a similar process, as part of your application you have to submit a LAR (signed letter), some catchers have therefore automated the submission of the LAR by fax :blink:

The deletion process varies of course from one extension to another.
Some ccTLDs are quite predictable, others much less. But if you study carefully you can increase the odds of catching something ;) But I am drifting :notme:

•••
For .it domains there is (was ?) a similar process, as part of your application you have to submit a LAR (signed letter), some catchers have therefore automated the submission of the LAR by fax :blink:

Italy was interesting in many regards when I worked for company that wanted to do instant hosting deployment (before cpanel ;) )

Italy required a signed contract rendering the whole instant setup a waste of time. They also required a printed invoice.

Probably changed by now but your statement doesnt surpriaw me based on my history.

•••

Although this conversation is slightly off-topic, it is very interesting to see how dropcatching has evolved into what we "enjoy" now.

I think this is a case of where "going with the flow/floe" is warranted.

It seems to me that the current system, for all its faults and money-grubbing and warehousing, is actually a bit fairer than the old days of scripts.

Now, at least, the script-challenged have a better chance of acquiring a decent domain at a fair price (the truly premiums will always go for a lot of money).

Even so, I would like to see some reform and standardization. I think it will eventually happen, but probably only when a major registrar runs afoul of the law in a major way and the mainstream press gets wind of it.

Currently, the average news outlet really doesn't care about domain reform; heck, a lot of what they report about this industry is simply wrong.

And the average person barely knows what a domain is or even where to go to register one (This was me 6 years ago)!

•••
Hi Ms Domainer,

You never answered these questions, so lest you forget, I ask them again.

So do you now agree that GoDaddy cannot block a transfer of an expired domain and that they are following ICANN policy up to day 42 (at least) and do you now admit there is nothing cagey about domainers transferring expired domains out of GoDaddy?

•••
cagey: wary of being trapped or deceived : crafty: shrewd

sounds like the typical forum domainer in the domainer jungle. Wary of being trapped paying a large fee and is crafty enough to find a solution that the registers dont tell them.

•••
Hi Ms Domainer,

So do you now agree that GoDaddy cannot block a transfer of an expired domain and that they are following ICANN policy up to day 42 (at least) and do you now admit there is nothing cagey about domainers transferring expired domains out of GoDaddy?

I do NOT agree that Godaddy is following ICANN policy.

I think Godaddy is following GoDaddy policy.

ICANN does not appear to mandate requiring registrars to unlock expired domains, though it appears that registrars would be able to follow their own policy (under certain circumstances). However, that appears to be open for debate because of fuzzy double-negative language.

And, quite frankly, in the end, it shouldn't matter to you what I think.

I'm going to think what I'm going to think, and I refuse to get into a snarkfest with you.

End of story.

•••
Hi Ms Domainer,

Definition:
sneaky; shrewd.

Source:
Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition.
No. It's cagey.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

cagey: wary of being trapped or deceived : crafty: shrewd

sounds like the typical forum domainer in the domainer jungle. Wary of being trapped paying a large fee and is crafty enough to find a solution that the registers dont tell them.

I'm too slow?! Got beaten by the prolific poster.. no surprise there (except it's not in the break room or appraisal.. who let you out into the wild?)

But you're spot on.

•••

Another Godaddy auction that probably won't close with an actual sale:

AsianBank.com

Currently at $99,999 with 101 bids (21 bidders)

Update (August 7, 2012): It looks as though Godaddy has deleted some phony bids.

Now at a realistic $671.

I'm surprised that GD doesn't have a quick warning system in place for bids that just don't smell right.

Last edited:
•••

CJF.com at $77,777.

Public auction.

This type of nonsense is one reason I don't bid on non-expiring auctions.

This is beyond silly and smacks of shill bidding.

When is Godaddy going to start vetting their bidders better?

UPDATE:

CJF now at a more realistic $3,605, suggesting that this is NOT a case of shill bidding, but some numpties just playing around on the auction site.

Last edited:
•••
Apology

I need WANT to apologize to the owner of CJF.com.

He seems to be horrified that fake bidders were bidding on his domain.

It just goes to show that words matter, that one must never assume anything and shoot off sloppy comments that could hurt someone or someone's business.

So, Chris, I'm sorry that I implied that your domain was involved in any nefarious activity.

Best wishes for a great outcome on your auction!

Last edited:
•••

Some recent Godaddy auction acqisitions (all .com) that are, more or less, safe to reveal (past day 45):

Objectory (odd ball one)

CoolFavorites (If I don't sell this, I may eventually use this to post my favorite mineral specimens)

WarMemoir

GratisWorld

SocialFolk

Unprofessionalism (a surprisingly popular buzz word, at least in academe, simply because there is so much of it)

I have some others I'm using for my NaNo Novel, but they are either in redemption week or not past day 45 yet.

•••
Objectory (odd ball one)

Not odd just, for what it is, out of date. It was the "prequel" for RUP I believe (not looking).

I briefly thought about this one for a developer blog but then realize that they have no money. It's got nice qualities to it though. A small dev shop might like it. Very geeky pickup for someone I view as being probably more on the creative side :)

•••

DU,

I had done a little research on Objectory, saw that it was a kind of geeky term, but the word itself called to me (like an earworm), appealing to my creative side. I couldn't get it out of my head. I can't even say that if the word calls to me, it will call to others--I know I tend to march to the beat of a different drummer.

:lol:

(I just came from a mineral/new age show, where the crystals up for sale were calling to everyone, so there's still a bit of woo-woo in my head.)

•••
Just got this to email email:

Exclusive offer from Go Daddy | Call us 24/7: (480) 505-8821 |
Online: www.GoDaddy.com

NameMatch has just found the following Premium Domain Name for you:

FOREX--PROS.COM*

This Premium Domain name can be purchased for $280.00

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back