Domain Empire

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for your opinion Brad,

I also feed that the 45++ days is too long.
maybe they better set the minimum payout. example $100, 500 or other limit minimum payout. if less than minimum they need to wait longer (payment schedule) otherwise it can be fast payment schedule

•••
I was sucsessful grabbing:

Retouched.Net

Yay! $18 was a total steal!

•••

All you .co fans:

There are a TON of .co domains at GoDaddy auction right now--even some decent BINS.

(Just nabbed a major 4-letter Spanish term, if it makes it through redemption week. If not, no foul).

Most of them are junk (What were these registrants thinking?), but there are a few gems.

But be careful; even with a coupon, they're expensive.

I think it's worth picking up a FEW great keywords, but not much else.

•••
Godaddy has enormous market share also in .co.
Last December I established that 36% of registered .co domains use Godaddy name servers, that (more or less) means at least 36% are actually registered with Godaddy.

•••

At GoDaddy auction today (8/24/2012), there are 96 pages (200 per page) of .co domains ending within a day.

I have never seen such junk.

I can understand investing in a premium (or even a semi-premium) .co and even defensive regs, but some of those regs are breathtaking in their sheer stupidity.

I'm not going to pick on any one carpy name, but you can see for yourself.

I just used the advanced auction filters to narrow down the expiring and closeout .co domains that are ending within 24 hours (1 day).

There may be some gems in there somewhere (yesterday I found 2), but I haven't seen them yet today.

ADDED:

I refined the search to 3-character .co; 2 pages (200 per page) ending within 24 hours. Some lively bids are starting to appear, BUT ones with hyphens and numbers aren't fairing so well, even "logical" ones, such as L-A [dawt] co, which is now a BIN.

This may be a pretty good indicator of where .co is headed, at least at this time and for non- and semi-premium .co.

I will definitely NOT be bidding on any more .co.

Know when to fold.

ADDED MORE: I have added all the LLL .co ending (within the next hour, now 12:32 PM EDT) with bids on my watch list (highest: $600; lowest: $12). I'm curious to see if any of these bids get bumped up and by how much.)

Last edited:
•••
Urgh, I know this is somewhat common, but its the first time Ive experienced it. Won a high priced auction for a name I reallllly wanted. Alas, today, it was renewed by the registrant and the auction is no longer valid. I really dislike this system... but its never affected me until now.

Commonly, are such registrants aware of the auction results and therefore re-register?... Not sure what's going on, but I can't rule out that one of the many people trying to win the auction contacted them.

What would your strategy be in continuing to pursue this name?

Thanks for any consolation!
P

•••
Make no mention of the auction, and just approach them with an offer for the domain.

•••
Make no mention of the auction, and just approach them with an offer for the domain.

is this OK ?
Because on the auction. if we lose and then do this. we can got problems with GD right ?

•••

FYI:

There are a bunch of expiring BIN LLLL.com at Godaddy today.

Maybe you'll find a gem among them.

•••
Hey I'm new to GoDaddy Auctions and I'm wondering what is the best way to handle a domain with 0 bids that is ending soon. Should I wait till the last minute and bid the $12, or wait till it hits closeout and buy it for $11? If I bid the last minute is it likely that somebody else could find it in that 2mins and bid?

•••
Hey I'm new to GoDaddy Auctions and I'm wondering what is the best way to handle a domain with 0 bids that is ending soon. Should I wait till the last minute and bid the $12, or wait till it hits closeout and buy it for $11? If I bid the last minute is it likely that somebody else could find it in that 2mins and bid?

closeout price can vary from $ 5 to $ 11.

don't forget somebody else maybe want that domain name. and they maybe also waiting for the closeout price.
and they can just snap it before you.
and then you did not have chance to bid/ buy it anymore from GD

•••

Just picked up a triple premium, pronounceable LLLL .com for $5.00 Closeout.

Domain is 5 years old.

Used Bacon3 code, total $13.67.

•••
I liked only one, that was at $10 and in the cart it was $21 using the code Bacon3, but I changed my mind. Seeing all those LLLL .com that are going to expire and deleted and maybe available to hand reg.
Looks like LLLL .com domains have lost their value.

•••
closeout price can vary from $ 5 to $ 11.

don't forget somebody else maybe want that domain name. and they maybe also waiting for the closeout price.
and they can just snap it before you.
and then you did not have chance to bid/ buy it anymore from GD

Thank you for the reply, also after the auction time runs out does it automatically go to closeouts, or is there a set amount of time?

•••
Thank you for the reply, also after the auction time runs out does it automatically go to closeouts, or is there a set amount of time?

It usually takes a few minutes to roll over into closeout status.

But if you really want a domain, I would suggest bidding $12.00 but waiting until 2.30 minutes before end of auction.

•••
I picked up a closeout not because I think its a great name, not for need, probably because I am an idiot and the 13 year old and 30 extensions regged flaw in my domaining psyche.

Wingo.org

•••
Thank you everyone for being so helpful! All the posts in this thread have helped me so much, I just have one more noob question. I know that you have to pay the renewal cost for expiring auctions, but do you also have to pay a renewal fee on normal auctions?

•••
Until about few weeks ago you couldn't find any LLLL.com in closeouts at all. Now there are a lot of them. Yep, seams like we will even see a lot available for hand reg soon too. Trend is downwards...

•••
Thank you everyone for being so helpful! All the posts in this thread have helped me so much, I just have one more noob question. I know that you have to pay the renewal cost for expiring auctions, but do you also have to pay a renewal fee on normal auctions?

No you don't need to pay renewal fee for normal domain auction, but the wired thing is, you have to pay a fee about 25% of the domain auction price . I think this is pointless. Why the buyer should pay a fee for buying a domain in normal auction? I guess the seller pays a fee too (don't know exactly, as I haven't sold domains through them).

•••
what happened to the domain at auction after the auction finish .
if there is anybody bid it

it will drop ? in how many days (after auction end)?
or something else happened ?

Thanks

•••
what happened to the domain at auction after the auction finish .
if there is anybody bid it

it will drop ? in how many days (after auction end)?
or something else happened ?

Thanks

No, it will not drop directly.
It will go to the other phase, closeouts where it can be bought directly. After that it goes to the pending delete phase, where it can be back ordered and than it will drop and will be available to hand reg. :)

•••
No, it will not drop directly.
It will go to the other phase, closeouts where it can be bought directly. After that it goes to the pending delete phase, where it can be back ordered and than it will drop and will be available to hand reg. :)

I mean after the close out and auction close. it will goes to pending delete +- 5 days ?
and then drop ?

Thanks

•••

If it doesn't sell at auction, the domain will be deleted about 75-76 days after expiration.

Then if it's not caught by a dropcatcher, it will be available for hand registration.

•••
No you don't need to pay renewal fee for normal domain auction, but the wired thing is, you have to pay a fee about 25% of the domain auction price . I think this is pointless. Why the buyer should pay a fee for buying a domain in normal auction? I guess the seller pays a fee too (don't know exactly, as I haven't sold domains through them).

Wow, you need to pay for a membership each year and they charge a fee per domain bought... seems kind of wrong haha.

•••
what is the criteria a domain will be sold at GD auctions ?
I want a domain, but it already pending delete.
I try to search at the GD auction but not there.

I like the auctions because it will keep the domain age.
when I backorder it it start from 0 again.

Is there any ways to get domain which already at the pending delete, but keep the domain age ?

Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back