IT.COM

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

If you look carefully, there are some nice domains in GD closeouts. They may not always be "obvious" at first glance, but they're there.

I picked up a nice one today (BIN), and if it makes through redemption week (+ 3 days), I'll share it with you and reveal why I think it's a winner.

So what characteristics do I see in low hanging fruit (ripe and ready for plucking)?

• Mostly .com domains

• Descriptive for established products or services and yet brandable and trademarkable

• Correctly spelled

• Passes the radio test

• Instantly memorable, especially when a potential customer, going 70 mph down the highway, passes a billboard with the term pasted on it

• Positive connotation, although the product or service itself may not offer good news for some people (I'll explain this once I reveal the domain, ;) )

• When you see the term, one instantly envisions possible end-users--LOTS of them

• Intuitive two-worders, REAL words and REAL term (not manufactured)

• Short domains (8 letters or fewer, although some long tails might work as well)

• If I have to ask myself, "How did this one slip by so many eyeballs?" then I'm pretty sure that it's a goodie. (It was on my watch list for days--I was sure it was going to be bid up, definitely surprised it was not)

• Aged domains. I added this last because age in itself is not a strong factor (I have seen a lot of junky "old" domains in closeouts), but with the above factors, it's important.

The analytics may not be especially strong, but it wouldn't take much to get this term out for this particular product or service.

What are some of the characteristics that you look for in closeouts?

I promised you I would reveal this domain, so for better or worse:

TrueDad.com

Here is my reasoning (based on the above criteria)

• A .com

• Descriptive for established service, such as paternity DNA testing, and yet brandable and trademarkable. Could also be a Father's Day site

• Correctly spelled: YES

• Passes the radio test: YES

• Instantly memorable, especially when a potential customer, going 70 mph down the highway, passes a billboard with the term pasted on it: YES

• Positive connotation, although the product or service itself may not offer good news for some people (I'll explain this once I reveal the domain, ;) ): YES--Obviously, if someone doesn't want to be the biological father, then the connotation for him would definitely be negative.

• When you see the term, one instantly envisions possible end-users--LOTS of them: YES, at least I think so. However, others may feel this is debabtable.

• Intuitive two-worders, REAL words and REAL term (not manufactured): YES

• Short domains (8 letters or fewer, although some long tails might work as well): YES, 7 letters.

• If I have to ask myself, "How did this one slip by so many eyeballs?" then I'm pretty sure that it's a goodie. (It was on my watch list for days--I was sure it was going to be bid up, definitely surprised it was not): YES. I still can't believe this one slipped by. I have seen lesser terms go for bigger money. Again, it may be in the eye of the beholder, especially if one goes strictly by GAKT.

• Aged domains. I added this last because age in itself is not a strong factor (I have seen a lot of junky "old" domains in closeouts), but with the above factors, it's important: YES, 10 years old.

I would love to hear your take on this (not an appraisal, just discussion) AND your own discussion of your Godaddy aftermarket domains. I think it's always good to see what others think because we can all learn from other viewpoints.

Why do certain domains catch your eye, while others slip by?

:) :bingo: :kickass:​

•••

If you look carefully, there are some nice domains in GD closeouts. They may not always be "obvious" at first glance, but they're there.

I picked up a nice one today (BIN), and if it makes through redemption week (+ 3 days), I'll share it with you and reveal why I think it's a winner.

So what characteristics do I see in low hanging fruit (ripe and ready for plucking)?

• Mostly .com domains

• Descriptive for established products or services and yet brandable and trademarkable

• Correctly spelled

• Passes the radio test

• Instantly memorable, especially when a potential customer, going 70 mph down the highway, passes a billboard with the term pasted on it

• Positive connotation, although the product or service itself may not offer good news for some people (I'll explain this once I reveal the domain, ;) )

• When you see the term, one instantly envisions possible end-users--LOTS of them

• Intuitive two-worders, REAL words and REAL term (not manufactured)

• Short domains (8 letters or fewer, although some long tails might work as well)

• If I have to ask myself, "How did this one slip by so many eyeballs?" then I'm pretty sure that it's a goodie. (It was on my watch list for days--I was sure it was going to be bid up, definitely surprised it was not)

• Aged domains. I added this last because age in itself is not a strong factor (I have seen a lot of junky "old" domains in closeouts), but with the above factors, it's important.

The analytics may not be especially strong, but it wouldn't take much to get this term out for this particular product or service.

What are some of the characteristics that you look for in closeouts?

•••
I sold Cloudland.com and CloudGuru.com for $7500 each via GD

It was a nice easy process which was nice

•••

I suspect that the Cloud.us deal was in the works long before the auction ended.

Perhaps the "winner" will jump on this thread and crow about his acquisition.

The domain acquisition started far before the auction process. I noticed it was expiring awhile back and contacted the owner about it and was told it was not for sale.

After the auction the owner told me they were going to renew the domain, and asked me if I was still interested.

I never bid on the actual GD auction.

I think the price agreed to was fair for both parties.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
They may or may not be a protected class, but last time I checked, elephants were animals.

•••
I think the ideal situation would be to mask whois info like Dynadot does, and not start the auctions until 7 days later.
Not very effective, people use domaintools to gain access to cached whois data so they can still reach the domain holder.

Also, there is confusion between grace period and redemption.
It's two different things.

The model originally intended is this: when a domain (gTLD) expires, it goes through the redemption period, during this time the domain holder has a preemptive right to renew. But it's rather expensive (typically $80->$200+ depending on the registrar).

The trick is that the redemption period does not have to start immediately when the domain expires. In practice, the registry autorenews the domains on behalf of the registrar, the registrar can still cancel the autorenew within 45 days and get a refund. Technically the domain name is not expired, it's still in good status with the registry. The holder can renew at standard rate unless the registrar decides to apply a late penalty of some sort (ie register.com). During this period, the registrar can also park the domain, and figure out if they are going to sell the name or even keep it (ie register.com)...

See the graph: http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/gtld-lifecycle

In theory the registrar could send the domain to redemption from day one past expiry, it doesn't have to offer a grace period at all.
Since the length of the grace period varies from one registrar to another, it could take between 35 and 75 days roughly until the domain actually drops.

Again this is for gTLDs only and certain ccTLDs like .us that are run in similar manner.

But nowadays quality domains seldom drop, they go to auctions so the whole RGP process is circumvented. Registrants are still offered some substitute but obviously you have to be careful and watch over your domains. You can't really trust registrars as custodians of your valuable digital assets because the conflicts of interest are present.

•••

Probably no longer a big secret, but I did "catch" catch.us in the big auction of 5/28.

The most I have ever paid for a .us.

The former owner evidently did not renew any of his .us domains.

•••
My win just entered my account so here we go:

I've stepped back from domaining (that's a big reason why I resigned from mod). But I saw LazyIdiot.com on eBay. I have no plans for it but it looked fun & I paid $50+ for it. So it only seemed logical to take the plural. LazyIdiots.com was on GD auction & instead of risking someone regging it upon a drop, I just got it via auction. So now I have the pair & no plans for either of them. lol

•••
Actually -

I have a name that's 6/30/2012 so we'll see.
Remind me and I will call on 8/14/2012 and see what happens :)

I have another that's 5/26/2012 that is REGISTRY REDEMPTION which I guess I could still renew as well (it was so crap it made it through CLOSEOUT :() .

•••
I don't believe that's what she is suggesting. I believe she is suggesting to run their normal auctions, but modify the day they actually move the domain to the account of the "Auction Winner" (in this case, day 45).
Okay.
But what's the purpose of this ?
Technically, the domain holder still has rights until the domain hits pending delete, that is at the end of the redemption period. Adjusting dates does not change the situation.

This will prevent the rare case that an auction is won, it is transferred to the auction winner on day 42, but before day 45 GD removes it from the winner and gives it back to the original registrant.
If the domain was bought at auction, then the domain is renewed for good anyway. The registrar could still claw back even later. I think one registrar (Enom) gives you a claim back period of 80 days, in the event the domain was auctioned off and not let in redemption.
The domain never expired with the registry, it's always been in good status. So the grace (auto-renew) period and redemption don't matter. The registrars could grant 90 days or even 6 months to redeem your domain.
As long as the renewal has been paid by somebody, they have nothing to lose.

Simply put, the registrars cannot auction expiring domains without bypassing the Icann redemption policy. As long as they are 'selling' and awarding domains in grace period they are gaming the system. But they get away with it because:
  • they can :gl:
  • they offer an equivalent period during which the holder can redeem the domain
And everybody is happy :snaphappy:

•••
You make a good point Jennifer but imo ICANN is focused on the Golden Goose, new tlds and what that can make for them. I don't think they have any interest toward expiring auctions and the rights of the previous and new owner.

I thought ICANN was non profit focused on world good :)

•••
I did a Tweet to Go Daddy and it got a lot of retweets and Go Daddy replied

@hybriddomainer Thanks for the feedback on this! I will bring this to the right peoples attention and pass it on. ^C

•••
I hate those lazy motherfuckers who bid on domains after they see them listed under most active.

Just had to pay $32 for a domain I could have got for $12 >:(.

Nice verbiage there newbie.
As far as bidding in the last few moments, that's not lazy, its smart.

•••

Under the new agreement, it looks as though registrants have 30 days to renew (according to ICANN), NOT 45 days.

So if Go daddy starts an auction on day 25, then the transfer out period should end 5 days before auction end.

PERIOD.

they are saying the minimum should be for 30 days for redemption period, not stating there is a maximum of 30 but this has nothing to do with what happens with domains in godaddy auctions. domains sold though godaddy auctions never actually go into a real redemption phase unless they don't sell. only then do they actually go into redemption. even though godaddy calls it redemption and charges a fee for it, its not actually in redemption status, just the grace renewal period. you can't auction domains in true redemption status. what the are trying to do is stop some smaller shady registrars who take domains away either right after expiring or not offering a redemption grace period.. so this has nothing to do with what godaddy does although you could argue that domains sold though auctions have no true redemption period so technically they should allow registrants to redeem the domain for 30 days after the auction ends.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

I love the way when someone transfers an expired name out of Godaddy (after someone else has won an auction on that name), the name almost always goes into privacy mode.

Guilt? Fear?
The name in question is Spacell.com, transferred to Namecheap under privacy. It was a BIN domain, so I would not be buying it on the aftermarket. Good luck with that.

I look forward to the day when this practiced is stopped. It's one thing to transfer a name out before it goes to auction, but these #&*$%$#$ are time wasters and end up costing others money (interest that could be earned).

Meanwhile, I plan to reveal every name that I lose in this manner (unless the owner has paid the premium--pain enough, I suppose).

Rant over for now.

you should be so lucky that domains are even allowed to be auctioned off. if the registrars actually followed icann regulations, they wouldn't have auctions.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks guys,

I never said what the price was of the sale was, I found something on Google that had said the threshold was $3000, maybe it is $5000 now.

I was just using the $3000 threshold that I found as an example, the actual sale is much higher the $5k

EscrowSH1.jpg

•••
Or even better yet, bid $12 for it when it's at auction and step ahead in line of all the monkeys who only buy closeouts.

HEY! I'm not a monkey......I'm more like a chimpanzee.But seriously when you bid at $12 you open up the floor for all those vultures that filter lists based on bids, I can't count the number of times that I bid on a zero bid domain towards the end of an auction just to see another bidder(sometimes 5)come from nowhere and bid it up.

I have since had better luck waiting till it goes to $11 on closeout.

•••
I just learned a lesson for next year which may help out other procrastinators as well...

I was standing by ready to place my $12 bid with one minute to go, but after pressing submit, a message came up letting me know that I'd have to renew my auction membership before I could continue! Woops, I renewed as fast as I could, but, not before the minute was up. As luck would have it with this domain nobody else was waiting to place a bid before closeouts, so I ended up grabbing it as soon as it switched to $11.

Lesson: If you are watching a name, make sure your auction membership has been renewed.

Tip: Auction12 still works for 50% off auction membership

•••
.US portfolio expiration - Auction Results

Aloha everyone!

Here are about 90% of the results on my blog.

.US portfolio expiration - Auction Results

•••
People that contact owners of expiring names and get them to renew are already monitoring the auctions. I don't see this thread having any affect on that.

•••
Well, my one dynadot auction I won was just renewed. I hadn't bid on an auction name in a while. Has this renewing expired names been going on for a while?

80% of the names I won were renewed. Oh well.

Dynadot has had expiring domains for awhile, but the best names almost always get renewed.

Brad

•••
OKCloud . com just came into my account :)

•••
I'm surprised wemix.com expired, I remember hearing that one all over the radio a few years back. This was a huge community, not sure if it was abandoned or what, but $2505 seems low. Seems like soundcloud.com is where everyone is at today.

Renewed.

Maybe ludacris is in jail and forgot about it for a bit....

Company is active - buying that name would be a problem imho.

•••
I also think that expired domains should be auctioned off later in the redemption cycle and awarded to the winner only when the former owner no longer has any rights (day 45).
Day 45 is too late, at that point the registrar must decide whether to maintain the domain or let it in redemption. No time to run an auction and secure payment.

And the former owner still has a preemptive right to renew as long as the domain is in redemption:
  • minimum 30 days if the domain is sent to redemption from day one
  • maximum 75 days if the domain is sent to redemption at the end of the (maximum) 45-day grace renew period.
That's the whole purpose of redemption.
After that, the 5-day pending-delete period begins, at that point the domain is no longer recoverable.

Therefore the registrars must decide the fate of the domain and get it rid of it before redemption. Pulling a domain out of redemption is expensive.
So they must 'deprive' the current holder of the redemption period normally granted to him/her. The tradeoff is that auctions may be reversed if the current holder decides to exercise his/her right to redeem the domain.

•••
WOW -- is that open-ended??? So any domain that is auctioned off and never hits pending delete, the original registrant can claim it back (even after 3 years???)
3 years sounds excessive lol, but it depends on the registrars. For example 80 days post due renewal date is possible. Remember, they set their own terms, that in fact contradict icann policy but that is hardly the point.

During the redemption period your domain name may be parked. "
Even Godaddy uses improper vocabulary. They mean grace period. A domain in redemption does not resolve.
No wonder even domainers are confused :p

To sum there are two scenarios:
  • Domain gets at least one bid, it's awarded to winning bidder. Previous (current) holder still has an opportunity to claim back the domain (to make up for lack of redemption period).
  • Domain gets no bid, it goes to redemption at the end of the grace period. Domain holder can still redeem the domain but at a high price ($80 -> $200+ depending on the registrar).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back