IT.COM

Your thoughts about .co.uk domains.

Spaceship
Watch

Ceonx

Account Closed
Impact
Hello,
Just woundering what you guys think about "co.uk" domains. -- Worth to even buy a .co.uk domain? Opinions please :)

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.co.uk, sure thing.
.net.uk
.org.uk
.ltd.uk (Where'd that one come from?)...
Not so much.

Still, .co.uk seems to be widely used and highly targeted (Heck, sedo.co.uk, right? ;) ).

My gut reaction would keep me away from all ___.uk's besides .co.uk. I still hope second level reg's will be kosher soon (so that I can get invade.uk ;) ), but until then .co.uk does seem good.

-Allan

•••
Are adult .co.uk names greatly used?

•••
.co.uk seems to be very good, but other .uks don't sell very much

•••
Iam beginning to like the .co.uk extension.Iam considering reging one right now,To point at a site i own along with my .com,Think it's a good idea anyone???

•••
.co.uk's are good for developing (for a UK audience, obviousley) but the paperwork and $60+ transfer fee's kill the resellers market.

•••
uk.

Hello,

.co.uk domains have one bad thing if you want to resell not so valuable domains, nic.uk charges £30.00 plus vat and theres some paper work i believe.

More info here http://www.nic.uk/MakingChangesToYourDomainName/Transfer/

I think you could get away with just handing over the account for the specific name.

Thats only if you want to sell them.

I believe this is the case but maybee someone more used to .co.uk names could shed some light.

I have a few myself but never sold any so i couldnt tell you what is involved.

Hope this helps some.

•••
To sell a .co.uk domain involves the following -

Contact nic.uk and request a transfer form, wait for them to post it to you.

Fill in the form and also write a covering letter.

Send both of these to the buyer and get him to fill his part of the form in and also write a covering letter.

Send the form, the two letters and £35 to nic.uk.

and there you go, simple....... no?

You can of course just transfer the domain into the buyers account but he will not be the legal owner until the paperwork is done.

•••
ONLY consider .co.uk if you are purchasing as an end user, or if you have a prime name for resale, otherwise don't bother unless you want the hassle.

•••
My hope is that one day nic.uk will come into the real world and adopt the same system as everyone else..............

Then .co.uk will really take off!

•••
These "hoops" are, of course, somewhat of a safety feature but I certainly understand that it's quite the "chiller" when it comes to sales.
The idea of setting up individual accounts and using a single use CC# there isn't bad... could just transfer the account itself instantly, thereby letting the buyer get control of the name faster at least. The $35 is a hefty little fee for a domain that was only going to sell in the $xx to low $xxx range anyway, so the current best course of action could be to only buy great names... but then again wouldn't it be great if it was really that easy ;)
-Allan

•••
wow i learned a lot!! :) Thank you guys very much. Not sure If I want to go through all the paperwork and what not.

Thakns for the posts :)

•••
i dont really care about .co.uk or anything. I'm stickin with .com, .net or .org because they will be around the longest & keep its value

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back